• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PHOTOSHOP F*KING SUCKS - lost art file

Status
Not open for further replies.

olimario

Banned
I was working on an art project in photoshop, I saved it and continued to work, and a few seconds later my computer restarted due to a power blip.

I started up windows, opened my file, and it said that it could not complete my request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop. The same version I had been making it in.

Can somebody please salvage what they can? It was a base picture with 21 layers of coloring over it.

THE FILE
http://www.olimario.com/landscape.psd

'
THanks, GAF

Ill Saint

Your file's most likely corrupted. Don't blame Photoshop, these things happen with power outages or abrupt shutdowns when you're in the middle of working on a file.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
no luck in paint shop pro (an unknown error has occured)
no luck in photoshop 6.0 (not compatible with this version)

funny thing is i can see the preview in both, but when i go to open it, it gives me the error.

i can open it in irfanview, but it simply displays a black box, and says "not a file" in the status bar.

:(

Ecrofirt

Wow Oli, it sucks that you lost all your work.

Might I suggest investing in a small UPS? You shouldn't have that kind of problem if you're on a UPS.

Ecrofirt

Uninterruptable Power Supply, iirc.

They've got a battery inside, and you plug your stuff into one of the outlets that runs off of the battery.

If there's an outage, it doesn't matter ,because you're running off of the battery's power supply, which won't surge or decrease.

olimario

Banned
I really appreciate the effort. I'm going to look into that power supply because I DONT want this happening again.
It was so beautiful, too. I had done so much :(

This is what I had done so far and this looks way simplistic compared to where I was. I wish I could show you all.

ORIGINAL
http://img36.exs.cx/img36/2641/newart8hn.jpg

PHOTOSHOP COLOR (WAY WAY WAY unfinished)
progress4ia.jpg

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
i know this doesn't really help now, but flobo was able to output a tiny tiny .jpg of the file... but that's all it could muster:

17jh.jpg

anyway, i know how much it sucks to lose work, especially something you're proud of... i've worked with photoshop enough to know that for sure. :(

good luck getting it back together oli, it looks wonderful. :)

Drensch

My ps says it can't open it due to an unexpected end of file. It shows the thumbnail and everything, but won't open it. I can get it in fireworks, but it's what Manabanna got.

FightyF

Banned
I was working on an art project in photoshop, I saved it and continued to work, and a few seconds later my computer restarted due to a power blip.

I wouldn't blame Photoshop for something like that...but it's puzzling as to how it got corrupted...since you did save it after all.

I lost a lot of work because of a program I use got bogged down because I opened up Outlook to check some mail at my mom's request...it was some music for a contest...the deadline was THAT night. I won the prior contest from this record company (http://www.indiscriminate.co.uk/eventinfo.htm) and I was confident that I'd win this one too.

And so hours before the deadline I lost the song I was working on for months...I was so jaded. The next day I thought that it was for the better...perhaps it was a blessing in disguise in the sense that it probably really wasn't that good and I'd get destroyed by the competition, making me look like a one-hit wonder. A month later after the results and songs were released...my second-guessing was wrong, I would have destroyed the rest and it would be a sweet song to listen to in general (it was kinda a mixure nu skool gabber with hard trance). It hurts to even think about it.

And hey, this happened to me years ago too, but in that case I created the song all over again, and did it a bit better the second time through...if you really like this work you've done (I think it looks great)...try it again, you'll fix some possible mistakes you made in the first...and trust me, it will be a lot quicker since you've did it once before.

olimario

Banned
cloudwalking said:
i know this doesn't really help now, but flobo was able to output a tiny tiny .jpg of the file... but that's all it could muster:

17jh.jpg

anyway, i know how much it sucks to lose work, especially something you're proud of... i've worked with photoshop enough to know that for sure. :(

good luck getting it back together oli, it looks wonderful. :)

That HELPS SO MUCH!
A lot of my worries were with color and now I can steal the colors I need from the preview.
THANK YOU!

Oli, I'll pray for your photoshopping health, seriously. I know what it is to loose work.

Currently, my history doesn't seem to work that well, and I select large portions with CS, want to move a couple steps back, and I only get like three steps backward. I have to select what I was doing all over again. ....

Let us see the finished output when you think you're done. Good luck.,

jiggle

Always safe multiple steps of your work!

This happened to me twice before. What sucked the most was having to redo everything, but the magic of the original was just not there.

Ill Saint

jiggle said:
What sucked the most was having to redo everything, but the magic of the original was just not there.
So true... whenever that happens I end up kicking myself for the whole day. Sucks.

Crow

RaymondCarver said:
Oli, I'll pray for your photoshopping health, seriously. I know what it is to loose work.

Currently, my history doesn't seem to work that well, and I select large portions with CS, want to move a couple steps back, and I only get like three steps backward. I have to select what I was doing all over again. ....

Let us see the finished output when you think you're done. Good luck.,

Check your preferances to see if the number of undo's has been changed. Also check to see your scratch disk isn't pointing to a drive with very little room left.

olimario

Banned
Here's what I managed to salvage since the loss.
I was even able to make it bigger like I had originally wanted.

Still a lot of touch up work and it will go through some post processing once composed.

salvage8kx.jpg

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
thats why i always make several copies of files while i am working with them. ive been through some pretty nasty corruption problems myself.

pxleyes

Banned
I'm trying to be honest and not mean, but my true critique would end up giving you a C. You lack a general sense of color theory, and the choppy curves add nothing to the style. They merely take away from the image you are trying to create. There is no sense of depth besides some simplistic overlap.

I just hope you aren't turning that in.

olimario

Banned
I'm actually quite pleased with the look of it.
I know the edges are choppy but my mouse sucks so the freehand tool sucks.
I like the colors in general, too.

I'm not turning it in for anything. And I could do something better in paint, though I'd like to see you do something better in paint.

EDIT: and im not trying for a lot of depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom