• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photoshop GAF - Retro Box art for Modren Games

ZeroGravity

Chittagong said:
3445803820_f9889a9c9f_o.jpg
Beautiful.

Although you got the wrong A </nitpick>

OnPoint

The Street Fighter 4 on Genesis, Mario Galaxy and RE5 on NES boxes blow my mind. All the other work is great too. I seriously have to learn Photoshop.

taps

Neo Member
Loads of talent all around. The ICO cover captures the SNES boxart style and Soul Calibur reminds me of the cover art for Shining Force (1)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Android, love those PAL Super NES boxes! Great color choices for the outer areas. I remember how it was always thrilling to wait and see which color box the games would get, the color would really change the mood of the box. I remember Super Mario All-Stars and Donkey Kong Country hitting it out of the park with a texture

fatty

We all remember the awesome SNES covers for Street Fighter 2:

sf2.jpg

and Street Fighter 2: Turbo:

sf2turbo.jpg

So I felt Street Fighter IV needed to stay true to its roots:

SFIV_final.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
bishoptl said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/flzybm.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
You need to shine it up for that Motorola 68k! Know what I'm sayin'?
[spoiler]IT'S ALL ABOUT 68K, MAN.[/spoiler]

Donos

fatty said:
We all remember the awesome SNES covers for Street Fighter 2:

and Street Fighter 2: Turbo:

sf2turbo.jpg

Dhalsim is still there... i can't unsee him now. *stares*.

Nice try with with your Box. But i think the yellow/orange color of "street fighter 4" is too crisp and "shiny". I could not make a better one thou.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
1zzn72b.jpg

Oh wait.

billy.sea

Banned
Donos said:
Dhalsim is still there... i can't unsee him now. *stares*.

Nice try with with your Box. But i think the yellow/orange color of "street fighter 4" is too crisp and "shiny". I could not make a better one thou.

Where's Dhalsim?

D-X said:
Oh shit! Well done I'd never think that a 3D render would work on 16 bit covers but you've gone and done it

Thanks! I've had to adjust the brightness and contrast levels and add some noise to it to make it fit the cover. It would have looked awful had I just put the original image.

AColdDay

I just noticed how every game looks 100 times better in a Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis Box. How did we allow our game cases to become so generic looking?

jred250 said:
I just noticed how every game looks 100 times better in a Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis Box. How did we allow our game cases to become so generic looking?

The SNES box is colourful and cluttered. Which makes for a 'cozy' and fun atmosphere. The Genesis box is slick and cool (the metallic logo). Which makes the games look super hardcore. Nowadays game boxes rather go for the minimalistic or classy approach.

I mean look at this shit:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2wogk80.png

fuck you Sony

Chris_C

snap0212 said:
SO awesome! Can't be quotet enough!

Seriously, they really are the best in this thread (SMG boxart comes close second).

I love the way filter makes it look like the old Capcom/SNK heavily rendered boxart.

I think one of the "problems" with buying a modern game is you feel like you're not getting much for your money. You get a sleek, thin, DVD case, a disc, and - chances are - an 8-page black and white manual.

And yes, in the 16-bit days, particularly the Super NES, the games FELT great. The carts were chunky, and the box was full of stuff - a full colour manual was the norm rather than the exception, you'd get pamphlets, fold-out maps, tips books... some games (like Illusion of Gaia/Time) even had a walkthrough inside!

You picked up the sealed SNES box, and it felt good. Weighty, like you'd just bought something that DID cost £60. Taking off the celophane wrap, trying to open it without creasing the box, taking the cart out of it's little plastic bag... you just don't GET that anymore.

Bring back cardboard boxes for games, I say. And make fold-out maps compulsory in any game with an overworld.

*starts thinking of more ideas for SNES boxes for modern gameses*

Top Bottom