• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That guy is a bad Demoman.

but a badass Engineer

shoulda switched classes sooner

Melchiah

I think this fits the concept of the thread perfectly, although it's a video.

Chris Cunningham: jaqapparatus 1
http://www.nowness.com/day/2012/9/4/2410/chris-cunningham-jaqapparatus-1 (contains some brief NSFW glimpses of his older material)
The Filmmaker-Artist’s Unique Take on His Laser-Fueled Robo-Sex Ballet

From his formative years sculpting alien heads to his recent "jaqapparatus 1" robotic performance-art installation, seminal music video director-turned-artist Chris Cunningham retraces his varied and critically acclaimed career in this personal, self-directed short. One of an elite group of directors alongside Spike Jonze, Michel Gondry and Jonathan Glazer who redefined MTV in the 1990s, Cunningham elevated the pop promo to a burgeoning art form with daring and disturbing music videos for the likes of Aphex Twin, Björk and Madonna. While his peers graduated to the big screen, Cunningham went underground, quit making promos and commercials, and spent the best part of a decade experimenting with fusions of film, music, art and technology that culminated in a string of live audio-visual performances at festivals in Japan and Europe. For "jaqapparatus 1", his first installation unveiled last month at the Audi City London high-tech concept store—a shadowy, sci-fi set involving two laser-firing robots locked in what seemed like a brutal mating ritual-cum-war—Cunningham cast two Talos motion-controlled camera rigs as his anthropomorphized protagonists. “Mounted on the robots heads are powerful lasers which they use to attack, repel and communicate with each other,” explains Cunningham, “a kind of duel, a surreal mating display which sees each machine trying to dominate the other.”

Melchiah

Journey to the centre of the earth: British climbers drop nearly 4,000 feet into cave once dubbed 'world's deadliest' to capture haunting images of world within a world

Once feared by explorers as a killer cave where all but the most daring feared to tread these pictures show how humans have triumphed over the underworld.

At 3,680-feet deep (about two-thirds of a mile) six people, including one-female Briton have died while exploring the Gouffre Berger limestone cave in south eastern France.

It was the first cave to be explored over 1,000 metres under the surface of the Earth and was named after the man who discovered it - Frenchman Joseph Berger.

But now these stunning pictures show how safe the once deadly caves can be - with a huge group of 200-cavers descending in one huge expedition captured by British photographer Robbie Shone, 32, from Manchester.

HCN9u.jpg

Into the abyss: The Gouffre Berger limestone cave in south eastern France was the first over 1,000 metres deep to be explored.

MZ2m4.jpg

Subterranean wonder: Six people have died accessing the underground lakes and labyrinthine caves.

VCpZA.jpg

First discovered in 1953 it was the deepest known cave at the time - and has a rich history of British achievement with the world record for the deepest cave dive going to British diver Peter Watkinson and his team in 1967.

Watkinson and other team members received international acclaim for reaching the deepest point possible on foot and then completing a perilous 130-feet underwater dive.

Because of Gouffre Berger's limestone walls water can penetrate the cave is liable to flooding after heavy rainfall, which caused five of the deaths, including Briton Nicole Dollimore from Oxford in 1996.

13CBr.jpg

World within a world: This caver's grueling descent is rewarded with this stunning view of an underwater pool

UX9eH.jpg

CaHT8.jpg

Here's what I saw in Yahoo! this morning and I thought it was cool. I copied the picture from the site since some people do not like slidescreen.

Historic visions of the future
A set of 19th century postcards has revealed that's just what French artists thought we'd be doing at the turn of the 21st century. The set of postcards, produced between 1899 and 1910, predict what life would be like in Paris in the year 2000 - and there are some fairly bizarre scenes. The year 2000 may have been and gone - but no one has yet invented a flying fireman, or started playing croquet underwater. And while Parisians haven't as yet replaced the fireplace in their homes with sticks of glowing radium, as one portrait shows, there are some portraits which aren't too far off the mark.

ZBaYI.png

In an imaginative vision of the year 2000, Parisian artists pictured a future where its citizens would play underwater croquet.

lbrk4.png

A not-too-far off prediction of video chat.

3LNUu.png

Tennis is taken to new heights as future sportspersons take flight.

Ct2Ux.png

Whales facilitate underwater travel.

WI0fV.png

Parisians take in an afternoon on electric rollerskates.

Iukyo.png

Glowing sticks of radium warm the homes of future Parisians in the year 2000.

gV1I8.png

Meal time is a snap in the kitchens of the future.

LflXa.png

Flying firefighters are able to battle fire like never before in artists' depictions of a future Paris.

zg8WQ.png

A vision of what electric train travel would be in the dawn of the 21st century.

Wz3t5.png

Farm work is done with the flip of a switch.

Rb8Nj.png

An evening of music enjoyed without the hassles of hand cranking the phonograph.

qXr3f.png

A future prediction of France's air force.

vejwG.png

Machines enable future barbers the ability to multi-task.

dyb6q.png

An eccentric version of the early helicopter.

yH2Fh.png

With all the changes, future residents still take in live shows in the year 2000.

Scuderia

Alright, i worded it wrongly then.

What i meant is they predicted feats of a hundred years in the future, with the technology of the day.

The surprise on people's faces would indicate that seeing a real, live animal would be an astonishing rarity.

IIRC the original article, the artist speculated that horses will go almost extinct because everyone will use cars etc., so you would only see them in zoos/circuses.

Aguirre

i kind of wish caves like the ones posted would remain undiscovered, untouched by humans... but at the same time, i'm happy they are found so we can marvel at them

Fritz

Here's what I saw in Yahoo! this morning and I thought it was cool. I copied the picture from the site since some people do not like slidescreen.

Historic visions of the future
A set of 19th century postcards has revealed that's just what French artists thought we'd be doing at the turn of the 21st century. The set of postcards, produced between 1899 and 1910, predict what life would be like in Paris in the year 2000 - and there are some fairly bizarre scenes. The year 2000 may have been and gone - but no one has yet invented a flying fireman, or started playing croquet underwater. And while Parisians haven't as yet replaced the fireplace in their homes with sticks of glowing radium, as one portrait shows, there are some portraits which aren't too far off the mark.

This made me think of French architect Claude-Nicolas Ledoux

That guy lived in the 18th Century!

Retro

talking about awesome blue images ...

9qX5z.jpg

That's just a lil' baby one;

3efae.jpg

The species has a number of specialized adaptations that allow it to engage in a surprisingly aggressive behavior: preying on creatures much bigger than itself. The blue dragon, typically just an inch long, frequently feeds on Portuguese man o’ wars, which have tentacles that average 30 feet. A gas-filled sac in the stomach allows the small slug to float, and a muscular foot structure is used to cling to the surface. Then, if it floats by a man o’ war or other cnidarian, the blue dragon locks onto the larger creature’s tentacles and consumes the toxic nematocyst cells that the man o’ war uses to immobilize fish.

The slug is immune to the toxins and collects them in special sacs within the cerata—the finger-like branches at the end of its appendages—to deploy later on. Because the man o’ war’s venom is concentrated in the tiny fingers, blue dragons can actually have more powerful stings than the much larger creatures from which they took the poisons.

Top Bottom