• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Direct 2013.6.26 - 8 pm Japan Time (12 pm BST, 7 am EDT)

I hope the pikmin 3 OT has a no graphic talk clause, because every thread we get now for the game has always had "looks like a gamecube game" "crappy textures" "some next gen game this is"

seriously, it's. getting. old.
Just talk about how much you're having fun and those type of people will eventually leave. :)
For me, the worst part about the OT will be the week of waiting before America gets the game while Europe already has it.
Yes. This.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So...anyone else bummed that multiplayer is local only? I'm still buying Pikmin, but that sure is disappointing.

A tiny bit, but not a ton. I honestly don't really see myself playing it online a lot (if it were online), but I'll at least try to do all the co-op missions with my wife. She's gonna have to start her own file or something and Get Good At It though. We managed the NSMBU co-op challenges so I think it'll work out.

ASIS

Pink and blue Pikmin seem to have redundancy. Why do you even need blues if pink can just fly over water?

I'm really glad that bombs are back, though. Yellow Pikmin lost way too much of their uniqueness in the second game.

Because you don't have control over the pink pikmin while underwater. They follow you, but that's it. You can't direct them and you can't use them in underwater areas. The only trait these two Pikmin have in common is that they can pass through water, but nothing else.

I've never played a Pikmin game before, but I'm very much intrigued by it.

I keep saying it, but all the new Pikmin players are in for a big treat. The series is one of Nintendo's absolute best.

Pikmin is one of those games where I actually want to be able to experience Pikmin's world again for the first time. I'm more than happy to settle with being able to visit it for one more time though in the third installment, which I'm still surprised exists at all.

hatchx

Banned
Pikmin is one of those games where I actually want to be able to experience Pikmin's world again for the first time. I'm more than happy to settle with being able to visit it for one more time though in the third installment, which I'm still surprised exists at all.

I am in a strange boat. I loved Pikmin 1, liked (but not loved) Pikmin 2, and I am very excited for 3.

I bet there will be more Pikmin through-out the decades. I can see Pikmin 3 being the best selling one of the series, as crazy as that sounds.

morikaze

Banned

All hail Chris Remo.

*bow*

I am in a strange boat. I loved Pikmin 1, liked (but not loved) Pikmin 2, and I am very excited for 3.

I bet there will be more Pikmin through-out the decades. I can see Pikmin 3 being the best selling one of the series, as crazy as that sounds.

I loved both, but I understand the differences between the two have their fans and detractors. As for sales, Pikmin 3 will have a tough time, I think. Wii U's install base just isn't big enough, and Pikmin is more of a niche game.

It's not going to get the attach ratio of an NSMB game, and by Winter it will be overshadowed by bigger franchises like Donkey Kong and Mario and even Sonic. Also, unfortunately, there's a (very) superficial similarity to Wonderful 101, and I can see some of the audience that would support "B-tier" titles split between those two games due to confusion.

I have little doubt that Nintendo is planning a pricedrop by the holiday, and I wish they would just drop it at the same time as Pikmin. The game would really benefit by being at the forefront of the "relaunch."

All hail Chris Remo.

*bow*

Chris Remo getting a confirmation that Pikmin 3 exists was the saving grace of that E3.

klier

I think about Pikmin 3 every day...I'm 31 and have a life...

Damn this game can't come soon enough!! So glad I'm in Europe for this one, I can't hold it much longer..

I loved both, but I understand the differences between the two have their fans and detractors. As for sales, Pikmin 3 will have a tough time, I think. Wii U's install base just isn't big enough, and Pikmin is more of a niche game.
For me, I'm so glad the "complete in X amount of days" time limit isn't back. If it were, I wouldn't be nearly as hyped for this game as I am now. I really don't like time-pressured mechanics. I like to go at my own pace.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
For me, I'm so glad the "complete in X amount of days" time limit isn't back. If it were, I wouldn't be nearly as hyped for this game as I am now. I really don't like time-pressured mechanics. I like to go at my own pace.

the juice mechanic they added in Pikmin 3 seems to strike a very good balance in this regard.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
How so? I know juice plays a role in the game, but I've so far haven't got a clear idea of how it plays within the game.

It's basically a way to remove the time limit without allowing the game to become a boring grind. There is a time limit if I recall correctly, but it's something ridiculous like 100 days or something, which nobody will realistically need.

The juice is sustenance for the three stranded astronauts, and you have to collect various berries in the environment in order to make it, or else they starve. I imagine these berries take time to grow back, much like pellet flowers or other plants in previous games, so you can't just gather an infinite supply. This is a good way to keep slight pressure on the player without imposing rigid limits.

Jackano

I blasted over NPC Pikmin 1 again today and yesterday (~5hours of gameplay, completed in 23 days).

Surprising how I forgot about some tiny bits of the game.
For example you can reboot your saved game at any day, in case you messed up three days before or something. Never used that but it seems Pikmin 3 have a similar feature which obviously, isn't quiet new.

So really hyped for 3. I need to go black-out now, but before, it seems that rock and flying Pikmins replace purple and white ones (instead of adding to them). And they can go into others onions, amking the onion multi-colored and putting out both seeds colors.

Do we have some informations about:
- Caves, does the game have some?
- Spays, it seems there is some strawberry one this time, what does it do?

So really hyped for 3. I need to go black-out now, but it seems that rock and flying Pikmins replace purple and white ones. But they can go into others onions.

Nope, the purple and white ones are still there if the box art is anything to go by (I'm not sure if we've seen them in gameplay yet)

It's basically a way to remove the time limit without allowing the game to become a boring grind. There is a time limit if I recall correctly, but it's something ridiculous like 100 days or something, which nobody will realistically need.

The juice is sustenance for the three stranded astronauts, and you have to collect various berries in the environment in order to make it, or else they starve. I imagine these berries take time to grow back, much like pellet flowers or others plants in previous games, so you can't just gather an infinite supply. This is a good way to keep slight pressure on the player without imposing rigid limits.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I haven't played a Pikmin game in a long while, but I don't think we had to worry about Olimar getting food in the previous games. I'm curious to see if I find that a fine balance or not. If it's something that's easily collectible while being something you have to keep an eye on, then I'll really like it.

Speaking of the pilots, one of the gameplay mechanics I'm most looking forward to is being able to switch between different pilots with different groups of Pikmin. That's definitely going to open up some strategy options that haven't been available in previous Pikmin games. I'm just worried that I'll have a hard time keeping track of everyone, ha.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I haven't played a Pikmin game in a long while, but I don't think we had to worry about Olimar getting food in the previous games. I'm curious to see if I find that a fine balance or not. If it's something that's easily collectible while being something you have to keep an eye on, then I'll really like it.

Speaking of the pilots, one of the gameplay mechanics I'm most looking forward to is being able to switch between different pilots with different groups of Pikmin. That's definitely going to open up some strategy options that haven't been available in previous Pikmin games. I'm just worried that I'll have a hard time keeping track of everyone, ha.

If I remember correctly, the story excuse in Pikmin 1 for the 30 day limit was Olimar running out of oxygen, because the atmosphere on the planet wasn't breathable to him. In terms of collecting fruit for juices, I imagine it will be similar to making sprays in Pikmin 2, and regarding switching between parties, this was possible in Pikmin 2 as well, but there certainly seems to be a bigger emphasis on it this time.

edit: As far as keeping track, it looks like this is something the developers have paid particular attention to, giving players ways to jump quickly between different sides of the map in real time. That alone will make multitasking much friendlier than in Pikmin 2.

Jackano

If I remember correctly, the story excuse in Pikmin 1 for the 30 day limit was Olimar running out of oxygen, because the atmosphere on the planet wasn't breathable to him. In terms of collecting fruit for juices, I imagine it will be similar to making sprays in Pikmin 2, and regarding switching between parties, this was possible in Pikmin 2 as well, but there certainly seems to be a bigger emphasis on it this time.

edit: As far as keeping track, it looks like this is something the developers have paid particular attention to, giving players ways to jump quickly between different sides of the map in real time. That alone will make multitasking much friendlier than in Pikmin 2.

Olimar was breathing something who wasn't oxygen, oxygen is toxing to him ^^

Yeah the multitasking was in Pikmin 2, the only difference is that we have one more partner this time. Maybe in Pikmin 4 there will be 4 main characters to control but I don't think this is a viable idea to maintain for the series on the long term ^^

Top Bottom