• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Incudes Worldwide Leaderboards

Yep, and they'll never fix it.

Just because it's Nintendo they'll do other backwards crap like only update the leaderboards once every five days or something. Maybe you'll have to enter a three character name.
I do wish people would stop moving goalposts as to what Nintendo need to do to have decent online.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So you're okay with the sentiment, but you'd want it phrased in a way that doesn't offend you as a fan of Battlefield 4? I think I get it, but it seems overly-sensitive to me.

I am not getting hurt or something, it just shits the thread and blocks the discussions about the actual game and this happened to all the recent Pikmin threads.

That being said, I'll stop here with the offtopic comments.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think this deserves to be on the new page.

Playing the game. It's just lovely.

Talking about 'irrelevant stuff', some new(?) features we put together:

- You can point your Wiimote at the Wii U GamePad screen. Feeling is weird, but if you're as used to IR as me...
- There's a rainbow onion, so you can produce different pikmin types at once
- You collect abilities such as increased whistle range or shield
- New nice transition-landscape sections
- Olimar, Louie have a role in the story, leave clues.
- Pikmin 3 is 3x Pikmin 1's length

I was curious about the IR thingie. It obviously gets confused if you place GamePad next to TV sensor bar. Wonder if they'll use this together any time soon. Also, nice presentation in Madrid:

M3d10n

1370990073-pikmin-3-2.jpg

Dual monitor wallpaper, get!

F#A#Oo

Banned
I know it's off topic, but are there rules in your religion regarding videogames, or is the timing just coincidence? I'm asking because most religions are rather old to have rules regarding videogames (And Ramadan is muslim, isn't it? So old ^^).

No there are no rules for not playing videogames...lol

It's just that during Ramdan I kind of concentrate on my spiritual side rather than hobbies and interests.

I usually game in the evening and night typically throughout the year...but during Ramadan there is no time because most of the spiritual related stuff happens in the night/evening so there is literally no time to game unless you start neglecting stuff.

I do wish people would stop moving goalposts as to what Nintendo need to do to have decent online.
I don't think its moving goalposts, I think its more that there are a lot of things you need to do to run a good online service and Nintendo does next to none of those things. So you're hearing people complain about various different things Nintendo has to do to catch up.

Volotaire

I know it's off topic, but are there rules in your religion regarding videogames, or is the timing just coincidence? I'm asking because most religions are rather old to have rules regarding videogames (And Ramadan is muslim, isn't it? So old ^^).

Of course not. Some people just don't like to play on an empty stomach and people like to focus on other tasks. Like lent for Christians.

This. Is. Gorgeous! I have it as my desktop background now. Sorry, Destiny.
Playing the game. It's just lovely.
I was curious about the IR thingie. It obviously gets confused if you place GamePad next to TV sensor bar. Wonder if they'll use this together any time soon. Also, nice presentation in Madrid:

Oh, excellent! Upgrades for whistle and shields? How lovely. Great to hear that it's so long compared to Pikmin 1. I'll definitely be replaying this game for years to come.

Leaderboards are...eh. Great, now everybody can see how much I suck. >.<

jmls1121

Banned
I don't think its moving goalposts, I think its more that there are a lot of things you need to do to run a good online service and Nintendo does next to none of those things. So you're hearing people complain about various different things Nintendo has to do to catch up.

"Next to nothing"

The hyperbole is really out of control regarding Nintendo.

The fact that the Wii U Pro controller is supported BUT Wii Classic controller isn't sounds like a joke. I don't want to buy the former for $40 which is basically just the latter with a battery inside.

Scrawnton

The fact that the Wii U Pro controller is supported BUT Wii Classic controller isn't sounds like a joke. I don't want to buy the former for $40 which is basically just the latter with a battery inside.

the pro controller is superior in countless ways and is worth the money. it feels way more comfortable than the classic controller, the sticks are flawless, completely wireless ,the battery life is ridiculous, and all of the buttons are in great locations. The wii classic controller feels ridiculously cheap compared to this thing.

Exile20

Oh but you are wrong, the Pro controller is so comfy. Oh so comfy.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The game still has challenge mode, right? I'm assuming leaderboards are for that, though maybe there's campaign filters too.

Nintendo actually launched with a form of leaderboards in Nintendo Land which were implemented in a rather clever way and tracked quite a lot of information for players. I wonder how the leaderboards in Pikmin will be organized and presented in-game.

the pro controller is superior in countless ways and is worth the money. it feels way more comfortable than the classic controller, the sticks are flawless, completely wireless ,the battery life is ridiculous, and all of the buttons are in great locations. The wii classic controller feels ridiculously cheap compared to this thing.

Again, I could spend $40 on a game rather than on a slight modification of a controller I already own. I'm of course talking about the Wii classic controller pro and some may argue its stick positioning is less weird than on the Wii U Pro controller.

If they continue in this stupid way it will be a problem for MK8 local multiplayer as I don't have 4 Nunchuks / 4 Wii U Pro controllers while I have 2 Wii CCP.

Somnid

Again, I could spend $40 on a game rather than on a slight modification of a controller I already own. I'm of course talking about the Wii classic controller pro and some may argue its stick positioning is less weird than on the Wii U Pro controller.

If they continue in this stupid way it will be a problem for MK8 local multiplayer as I don't have 4 Nunchuks / 4 Wii U Pro controllers while I have 2 Wii CCP.

Mario Kart doesn't need nunchucks IIRC.

Bit-Bit

Ermagerd, guys. Why can't we have the game this month?!?

I think the drought for the Wii U might do this game some good considering some people might pick this up for the sheer fact that it looks interesting and there's nothing else like it for the system.

jmls1121

Banned

I look forward to your thread complaining about MS ans Sony requiring the use of better controllers next gen.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Slightly OT, but what would be the way to go for controls for this game? I'm new to the series, and I have nunchuck/wiimotes+ as an alternative, but have not bought pro controller yet.

Effect

Online leaderboards. Acceptable. At least it's something online related and allows for interaction with other players. Just wish there was as full online multiplayer as I'll not be able to take advantage of the local mulitplayer mode. Unless you can play against the game AI in that mode. Does anyone know if you can?

I look forward to your thread complaining about MS ans Sony requiring the use of better controllers next gen.

Bad comparison there huh? There are Wii U games that support both Wii U Pro controller and Wii classic controller (pro), but there are other games like Pikmin 3 that only support the Wii U Pro controller for some obscure reason (both controllers having the same buttons, what is the excuse for not supporting both besides pushing us to buy Wii U Pro controller?). I am complaining about the latter category of games.

Tom_Cody

leaderboards suck unless they reset every week.
Not a big fan of leaderboards
I really loved the way time attack was handled in Mario Kart 7. They only presented you with a cluster of times/ghosts at any given time so you were incentivized to incrementally improve your times- there was always a time infront of you with in reach. I agree that a global top 100 is useless but I'm sure they won't do something as simple and pointless as that.

SparkTR

- Pikmin 3 is 3x Pikmin 1's length

Friend of mine finished it and said it's about 12 hours long btw.

Who to believe...

Are there going to be caves in Pikmin 3? It'll be awesome if they combine Pikmin 2's huge amount of content with Pikmin 1's pacing.

Slightly OT, but what would be the way to go for controls for this game? I'm new to the series, and I have nunchuck/wiimotes+ as an alternative, but have not bought pro controller yet.

If it's like the first two then Wiimote will be the best, but may not be the most convenient due to all the pad functions (constantly reaching for the gamepad to see the map etc).

"Next to nothing"

The hyperbole is really out of control regarding Nintendo.
Compared to the alternatives its not hyperbole. The sheer fact that this game and 3D World have co-op/multi player modes with no online play for either is pretty sad. There isn't even a proper account system in place for Nintendo consoles.

If you look at the One/PS4 and find the Wii U's online as comparable you're just being delusional.

Jarsonot

Yeah, I'm always around 11,125,463,893rd place on worldwide leader boards...

I don't even bother checking them anymore. It must be great for the top 100 or so people in the world, though. =)

I really loved the way time attack was handled in Mario Kart 7. They only presented you with a cluster of times/ghosts at any given time so you were incentivized to incrementally improve your times- there was always a time infront of you with in reach. I agree that a global top 100 is useless but I'm sure they won't do something as simple and pointless as that.

Really? Mario Kart 7 “leaderboards” kinda sucked especially since before we had worldwide / continental top 10s on Mario Kart Wii (2008 – but people in this thread apparently didn't know) plus the possibility of downloading the world record ghost. At least, the time trial community didn't like it at all. On top of that, MK7 doesn't save your best lap time, while previous games did.

Scrawnton

Bad comparison there huh? There are Wii U games that support both Wii U Pro controller and Wii classic controller (pro), but there are other games like Pikmin 3 that only support the Wii U Pro controller for some obscure reason (both controllers having the same buttons, what is the excuse for not supporting both besides pushing us to buy Wii U Pro controller?). I am complaining about the latter category of games.

they dont have the same buttons, wii u pro controller has clicky joy sticks.

jmls1121

Banned
I think they're just jealous that they won't be able to play Pikmin 3 unless they pick up a Wii U. :)

I think it goes against their conventional wisdom that the only good Nintendo games are Mario and Zelda, Nintendo recycles old IPs, etc.

Tom_Cody

Really? Mario Kart 7 “leaderboards” kinda sucked especially since before we had worldwide / continental top 10s on Mario Kart Wii (2008 – but people in this thread apparently didn't know) plus the possibility of downloading the world record ghost. At least, the time trial community didn't like it at all. On top of that, MK7 doesn't save your best lap time, while previous games did.
I can see why the time trial community didn't like it but it was ideal for me as a player. I spent an enormous amount of time playing time attack in MK7, far more than in any past version. If you have a record 1-3 seconds in front of you it is is an obtainable goal. If a time is 20 seconds ahead it might as well be 200. Over the course of my time with my title I frequently popped into time attack to chip away at the leaderboard I was presented with. In the end I beat most (maybe 25) of the fast staff ghost times, far more than I had beaten in any previous version of the game.

Top Bottom