• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Review Thread [UP2: All reviews are live]

Certinty

Seeing this game makes me want to get a Wii U, but then no way am I paying over £100 for one just for this.

Looks so amazing, can't wait to read more reviews.

Chanser

gm_widget_Pikmin3.jpg

UK pre-order.

klier

When are we going to see an official thread? And who's going to make it? I'm dying over here, I need this game.

Just completed Super Luigi U on 100%, I'm ready guys!!

daakusedo

That three hours stream is magical.
The world is really detailled and improved on being compartmentalized and still feel natural
with the ground ending denser than what we've seen for months and a wilder landscape.

Ein Bear

Out of interest, at what point did Famitsu turn to shit, or has it always been that way? I recall a period in the late-90s/early-2000s when it was a pretty well-repected source, and a good score from them was considered a big deal.

oatmeal

Banned
Is there anywhere that collects famitsu reviews? I would love to read the old super Mario sunshine and wind Waker ones.

mutsu

fucking hell

new nintendo game syndrome strikes. not even pikmin is safe.

It's really not that bad.

It has a flow of tutorial -> free exploration -> tutorial -> more freedom. I played about 2 hours today and have no problems with the pacing.

Plus, it's been like 10 years, with a new control scheme too, so I think it's more than fine. Besides, everything is so charming...

DaBuddaDa

Out of interest, at what point did Famitsu turn to shit, or has it always been that way? I recall a period in the late-90s/early-2000s when it was a pretty well-repected source, and a good score from them was considered a big deal.

It was always this way, just everyone else was too. Other and new outlets have gotten better, but Famitsu has stayed the same.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yep. Nintendo game it is. I'll be avoiding it due to the hand holding that has become like a virus in their recent releases.

What are you talking about? Pikmin 3 absolutely is not handholding, you have a huge amount of freedom and there are nearly no tutorials. Everything there is are some yellow cards you may pick up or may not pick up which give you small hints.

zroid

Banned
Uhh nope, it was when nintendogs got a very high score that it slowly began to lost its credibility.

I certainly don't trust Famitsu scores, but I don't know why people always latch onto Nintendogs as some sort of proof that their reviews are bunk. I tried it and didn't care for it that much, but it was a pretty damn unique product at the time and it accomplished what it set out to do very well.

What are you talking about? Pikmin 3 absolutely is not handholding, you have a huge amount of freedom and there are nearly no tutorials. Everything there is are some yellow cards you may pick up or may not pick up which give you small hints.

It's okay man, let him believe what he wants.

Seeing this game makes me want to get a Wii U, but then no way am I paying over £100 for one just for this.

Looks so amazing, can't wait to read more reviews.

well w101 is comming out very soon after that.. also there is little king story on wii which is a very similar game.

Nintendo needs to stop with the tutorial bullshit being required. Let those of us who don't want to go through tutorials the option to avoid it. Tutorials and hand holding were one of the key aspects that ruined skyward sword.

ASIS

I certainly don't trust Famitsu scores, but I don't know why people always latch onto Nintendogs as some sort of proof that their reviews are bunk. I tried it and didn't care for it that much, but it was a pretty damn unique product at the time and it accomplished what it set out to do very well.

It's okay man, let him believe what he wants.

Nintendogs got a perfect score. I like the game, it was unique for its time, it was new. I get that, but not a perfect score, not by a long shot.

Also, I'm not using it as proof, i'm saying Famitsu's reputation fallout happened starting with Nintendogs.

Nintendogs got a perfect score. I like the game, it was unique for its time, it was new. I get that, but not a perfect score, not by a long shot.

Also, I'm not using it as proof, i'm saying Famitsu's reputation fallout happened starting with Nintendogs.

Famitsus reputation fallout happened with them handing out 40s like candy (which started 2008 not 2005)

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Nintendo needs to stop with the tutorial bullshit being required. Let those of us who don't want to go through tutorials the option to avoid it. Tutorials and hand holding were one of the key aspects that ruined skyward sword.

I honestly don't know to what you are referring with regards to this game, though. The tutorials come in the form of data entries that are optional to collect, are easier enough to skip even if you do collect them, and are simple and straightforward enough not to get in the way.

Mostly this game seems like classic Nintendo design at its finest, teaching you the mechanics of the game by focusing your attention on specific concepts and then letting you experiment on your own.

Are there some other kind of tutorials that I didn't notice? If so, they couldn't really be too intrusive or handholdy, right?

ASIS

Famitsus reputation fallout happened with them handing out 40s like candy (which started 2008 not 2005)

It started with Nintendogs,that's when suspicion of their credibility was discussed. The 40 diarrhea may have started a bit later, but in 2008 Famitsu was already a bit on the meh side.

zroid

Banned

You're right, I didn't mean to say "proof" but rather "evidence". I just think it's such an odd choice to single out Nintendogs (and I know many people do). So it got a perfect score... I dunno, how do you judge a game like that, anyway? It was polished and significantly better than almost anything else like it so I don't see any objective reason why it shouldn't have received very high marks. Obviously there were ways in which it could've been better, but that's true for everything. If the purpose of a review is to recommend something to a reader, and the reader of a Nintendogs review is someone who's interested in a game like that in 2005, seems to me it would be worthy of the highest possible recommendation. :p

Kade

I don't enjoy Pikmin games. Hope you guys who do like this one, though

Thank you. Thanks for chiming in with #based #positivity. Pikmin® 3 will build upon the foundations set by the greatest console Action RTS, Pikmin® 2 for the Nintendo Gamecube (GCN).

Nintendo please make tutorials and hand holding optional! It destroyed Skyward Sword. Fi destroys Navi in terms of annoyance.

Tookay

The anti-tutorial/"we have no sympathy for people who don't play every installment" brigade is out in full force.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
The anti-tutorial/"we have no sympathy for people who don't play every installment" brigade is out in full force.

It's odd because Pikmin is not exactly a straightforward game for newcomers. Some tutorial-ing is going to be necessary with any RTS.

Top Bottom