• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Review Thread [UP2: All reviews are live]

Nintendo please make tutorials and hand holding optional! It destroyed Skyward Sword. Fi destroys Navi in terms of annoyance.

The anti-tutorial/"we have no sympathy for people who don't play every installment" brigade is out in full force.

It's odd because Pikmin is not exactly a straightforward game for newcomers. Some tutorial-ing is going to be necessary with any RTS.

Judging from the people in Japan over in the Pikmin 3 Japan thread, there doesn't seem to be excessive hand-holding or tutorials. Once you're out there, you're out there.

And I agree that tutorials are necessary for a game like Pikmin. The learning curve would be incredibly steep without; too steep for a lot of players otherwise.

Sano

Online reviews are embargoed in Europe til launch day, so we'll still be waiting a while before we get some new scores (from somewhat reliable sources).

The NDA was originally supposed to be lifted on the 11th, but they delayed the date.

Not correct. Reviews in EU are embargoed til 22nd in the evening.

Tillbo

For what it's worth the Sunday Times Newspaper (UK) published a review today...5 stars.

Not sure why they aren't under an embargo, probably a mistake.

For what it's worth the Sunday Times Newspaper (UK) published a review today...5 stars.

Not sure why they aren't under an embargo, probably a mistake.

Yup - it's up on their site, though the whole review is behind a pay wall.

The score should be added to the OP: The Sunday Times (UK): 5/5 :)

Edit: I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS GAME! IT'S BEEN 9 YEARS!! MORE EXCITED FOR THIS GAME THAN BREAKING BAD!! ... Okay, I'm done now.

JoeInky

So after watching some streams and having a few things spoiled for me, I've been thinking, is it possible there is some Pikmin 3 DLC in the works/being planned?

Now this is just going of off what I've seen of the JP version, I haven't been able to read the text or anything so things that I think aren't/are there might actually be/not be there, anyway there are obviously some endgame spoilers here so read at your own risk, let's look at what we have:

Olimar, Louie, White Pikmin and Purple Pikmin are all playable in he game, just not in the main story.
The Purple and Whites not being in the main game would allow them to easily replace rock and pink pikmin in a DLC to differentiate the game more than being just some sort of level pack.
Olimar and Louie both need to be rescued in the story mode due to events that unfolded off screen (unless these are in some way explained in Olimar's journal entries?)
From what I can tell, Olimar and Louie leave PNF-404 aboard the drake with Alph, Brittany and Charlie, what happened to their ship? Is that ever explained?
In the all fruits found + Olimar & Louie rescued ending, the narrator states that maybe the accident that caused the drake to crash wasn't actually an accident at all, but it's then never explained, maybe you have to beat all the challenges or something to get a cutscene like in pikmin 2 where Louie eats all the golden pik pik carrots, or maybe Olimar and Louie did something to cause the events of the main story to unfold.

That last point is the main thing to me, it seems like the perfect opportunity for a dlc campaign. If I don't hear anything about it being explained in the game or find anything that explains it when I get to play the english version myself, I'm pretty sure we're going to get some sort of NSMBU style campaign dlc that happens before the main game does.

Or maybe this is all explained in the Japanese text and tis post is pointless, guess I'll find out soon enough.

Batigol

Banned
Why is embargoing reviews legal? It always seemed shady to me. Especially when it's lifted on the day of release, since people generally buy games day one.

I won't touch a game until I see reviews before release

Why is embargoing reviews legal? It always seemed shady to me. Especially when it's lifted on the day of release, since people generally buy games day one.

Do you have particular reviewers you trust that you base your buying decisions on?

ASIS

Will GameSpot break the embargo and give it a 4,5/10, as with Zombi U? Now that would the nail in the coffin.

I've seen a little too many footage from this game. I honestly think this IS the best Pikmin game to date. If not one of the best Nintendo games of all time (I am dead serious).

The game will probably average in the 8's, But that won't phase me, I already know what I'm in for and I cannot wait.

Somnid

You'd be in favor of legislation that states any media company must provide early copies to all reviewers that want it or face some sort of fine?

That said there's no good reviewers that I know of anymore mostly because the whole game review process is completely broken. Typically if it's not easy enough to call pre-release (which usually isn't hard) then you can wait a week or a month to get some aggregated user opinions. Really, it's not so bad to wait a bit if you're paranoid.

JoeInky

I've seen a little too many footage from this game. I honestly think this IS the best Pikmin game to date. If not one of the best Nintendo games of all time (I am dead serious).

The game will probably average in the 8's, But that won't phase me, I already know what I'm in for and I cannot wait.

+The same great Pikmin gameplay with some good improvements
+Great sound and environment design and an art style more fully realised in HD
+Lots of content

-Lots of bad textures and a lack of AA makes the game look worse than it should
-Too many tutorials
-No online play

7.5/10

Calling it now, this will be most of the reviews.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Calling it now, this will be most of the reviews.
I love when reviews review content that doesn't exist and dock points because they feel it should.

No Mii support! -1

Not in particular, but it's nice to have a general consensus of the game before release.

Just seems weird to me.

I'm like that with movies, but ever since I started paying close attention to videogames I don't have too much respect for the gaming press. Aside from a few reviewers here and there like EDGE, there aren't many outlets I trust. Normally if a game looks interesting but I'm unsure about buying it I wait for impression from GAFers. Most of the time, though, if a game looks interesting I just go ahead and buy it.

rugioh

Banned
Haven't played a pikmin game before, but I'm thinking about getting into this one.. I think the tutorials could be useful for a guy like me.

JoeInky

I like the inclusion of the tutorial notes simply because we get more of Olimar's journal drawings like we got in the first game, I always thought they were cute.

extralite

Mark MacDonald ‏@markmacd 28m

Enjoyed first couple hours of Pikmin 3 in the rare moments I was allowed to play the game; stops way too often for tutotial text, story, etc
-------------------------------------
fucking hell

new nintendo game syndrome strikes. not even pikmin is safe.

Tutorial texts are mostly Yoshi's island style, one page of illustration with a short text. And they're cards laying on the ground, you can avoid them (but they usually give you a helpful hint).

Since there are now multiple characters of course they talk to each other, meaning more dialog, but the above is so much hyperbole. I'd say it's 10~20% story max, you still spent much more time actually playing.

chrono01

I've been watching a lot of the Japanese streams of Pikmin 3 [although I'm trying to limit myself, I do not want to see too much!] and the more I see of this game, the more I need it.

I have a feeling this Pikmin 3 is going to surprise a lot of people.

Defect

I watched up to Day 3 on YouTube and I want to watch even more! I'm not going to spoil myself anymore. It looks so great!

Is the challenge mode like Pikmin 2's?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It levels the playing field between those places that get a game earlier than others, and also between print and web media.

I'm not a fan of embargoes that expire on or after the sales start, but otherwise I don't mind.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
in other news, GAME is back with the usual preorder bonus (UK only)

gm_widget_Pikmin3.jpg

ain't that cool. I think I'll be getting it from them

Tony91

After playing it, it's an 8.5/10 for me, a must-have for anyone who owns a Wii U, but I highly doubt this will sell any system outside of Japan...

ASIS

I watched up to Day 3 on YouTube and I want to watch even more! I'm not going to spoil myself anymore. It looks so great!

Is the challenge mode like Pikmin 2's?

I watched 22 days. Safe to say the game is pretty much spoiled for me, but I can't resist. Everytime I go "ok just one more" and now... :(

Don't regret it though, game looks utterly brilliant.

After playing it, it's an 8.5/10 for me, a must-have for anyone who owns a Wii U, but I highly doubt this will sell any system outside of Japan...
You had to play the game to know that? And here in the west, I bet most reviewers will point out how bad it looks.

Kouriozan

I'm not going to spoil myself, thankfully I have M&L 4 to finish to help me.
Generally I don't care about reviews score as I always know what to expect when I decide to buy a game.

JDSN

Banned
"While the game play is amazinly fresh, its obvious that this is at best an upscaled port from the Gamecube game released 10 years ago (still franchise milking tho) and the lack of modern features like online multiplayer and xp-based progression make this a remant of a thankfuly bygone era

-Every review ever."

I think people are really exaggerating the press reviews for nintendo games. I will be shocked if the games doesn't get an 85 on MC, and honestly i hope it does get docked somewhat for no online

I'd brace for the worst, Pikmin fans. Pikmin isn't a super-popular franchise. Nintendo is known to be pretty hands-off with reviewers and I'm willing to bet that not many reviewers out there have any buddies at the dev teams in Japan. Thus, the critics are gonna be, y'know, actually critical.

I'd brace for the worst, Pikmin fans. Pikmin isn't a super-popular franchise. Nintendo is known to be pretty hands-off with reviewers and I'm willing to bet that not many reviewers out there have any buddies at the dev teams in Japan. Thus, the critics are gonna be, y'know, actually critical.

When was the last time a medium sized nintendo game got below an 8 as an average

Gummb

I think people are really exaggerating the press reviews for nintendo games. I will be shocked if the games doesn't get an 85 on MC, and honestly i hope it does get docked somewhat for no online
But why? If the game is fantastic for what it offers, why dock points? To me, that's like going to a 4 hour Bollywood film and giving it an 8 because you wanted 5 hours.

It's not as if the game lacks significant features too, it's pretty stacked for a strategy game, IMHO.

Kid Ying

Didnt understood the complaint about the tutorials. Im already at day 10 and the game had 3 tutorials max, and all of them were just to explain the basics and important for the game. Theres a story too, but its not intrusive at all. Most of the time you are playing and the dialogue that occurs when you are playing never interrupts you. Theres the cards too, i guess you could complain about it, but most of them offer useful tips and theyre optional. If you want to figure it all out alone, you can ignore them with ease.

Dont get me wrong, the game is far from perfect, but this is a complaint that i think is untrue or madr by someone who only played the first ten minutes, where the game tells you how you play.

May I ask why? To me, that's equivalent of saying BioShock Infinite should be docked points for having no online. Pikmin 3 is a single-player game first and foremost. Sure, it'd be cool to have its local multiplayer mode be online, but that's not where the game's focus lies.

Gummb

Do the Wii versions support CC Pro? I'd like to try the series but if not I'll just go with 1 or 2 on Dolphin.
It's so much better with wii-mote support, no joke. I don't think it supports CC support though. :/

Top Bottom