• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin shorts coming soon to Nintendo 3DS

N3DS is the best you can hope for. It's more likely to appear on the next proper handheld if it ever does come to a handheld.
Or maybe as a port of the GC games on the New 3DS? The system needs to sustain itself until 2016 and i don't think Nintendo will be investing robust resources in any 3DS projects, Wii U (until part of 2016) and the next hardware platforms are the priorities right now.

sörine

Banned
Miyamoto said before 3DS just doesn't have the fidelity to do Pikmin (240p). I don't think we'll see handheld Pikmin until next gen (480p+).

sörine;135852664 said:
Miyamoto said before 3DS just doesn't have the fidelity to do Pikmin (240p). I don't think we'll see handheld Pikmin until next gen (480p+).
Don't take much of what Miyamoto says at face value. Most people played Pikmin games in 480i resolutions in the GC or the Wii. At 480p the PPI in a 30'' inch tv screen for example, is lower than what you get in the 3DS.

Not saying the Pikmin ports will appear, but the excuse Miyamoto gives here is not a plausible one to me. Also Xenoblade is a far more demanding game hardware wise yet the device is getting a port.

sörine

Banned
Don't take much of what Miyamoto says at face value. Most people played Pikmin games in 480i resolutions in the GC or the Wii. At 480p the PPI in a 30'' inch tv screen for example, is lower than what you get in the 3DS.

Not saying the Pikmin ports will appear, but the excuse Miyamoto gives here is not a plausible one to me. Also Xenoblade is a far more demanding game hardware wise yet the device is getting a port.
It's not about hardware demands, it's about visual clairity. 240p on a 3.5 inch screen wasn't deemed enough to have 100 individual Pikmin running around and doing stuff onscreen. This is also why Smash 3DS has outlines on the characters, although perhaps they could do something similar for Pikmin on 3DS if they decided to do it.

sörine;135854770 said:
It's not about hardware demands, it's about visual clairity. 240p on a 3.5 inch screen wasn't deemed enough to have 100 individual Pikmin running around and doing stuff onscreen. This is also why Smash 3DS has outlines on the characters, although perhaps they could do something similar for Pikmin on 3DS if they decided to do it.
My post was exactly about visual clarity mainly. The pixel per inch in the 3DS screens is probably higher to what the majority of people played Pikmin 1 and 2 in the GC/Wii days.

It is interesting that the Smash Bros 3DS case has been brought up because it proves how Miyamoto's claim is not a very sound one.

Smash Bros is a very good example of a game's resolution affecting gameplay, easily more than Pikmin. While the amount of objects the player needs to keep track of in a Smash Bros match are not as many as in a Pikmin game, they do move a lot faster and can become smaller due to the camera pulling out to acomodate all the characters on screen. And then there are the usable items that can become even smaller.

And then we all played Smash in the N64 at 320*240 in screens many times bigger than a 3DS.

In contrast Pikmin can be played with the camera more zoomed in into the environments, is a more relaxed paced game and there are situation when the game could easily cheat and not display the 100 pikmin.

So yes, Smash pretty much proves how possible a Pikmin game on the 3DS is. Independent of what Miyamoto says about resolution.

EDIT: Pikmin character models are not very detailed in the first place and are made of individual vibrant and solid colors, so by design they are pretty much made to work in situations were screen resolutions are not optimal.

TheMoon

My post was exactly about visual clarity mainly. The pixel per inch in the 3DS screens is probably higher to what the majority of people played Pikmin 1 and 2 in the GC/Wii days.

Forget resolution. The screens are tiny! Everyone's TV they used for Pikmin on the GCN was bigger than any 3DS out there. Resolution is more an annoyance. Screen size is the real killer.

Forget resolution. The screens are tiny! Everyone's TV they used for Pikmin on the GCN was bigger than any 3DS out there. Resolution is more an annoyance. Screen size is the real killer.
PIKMIN 3 is played on the Wii U Gamepad, a 480p 6 inches screen. It plays wonderfully specially with the stylus controls. (^_')/

sörine

Banned
Oh, your Xenoblade comment comparison confused me since clarifty wouldn't be an issue at all for that port. New 3DS doesn't really improve clarity over 3DS, it's still 240p although a little larger screen size on the small model.

PPI isn't the issue either, it's actually about discerning what's happening onscreen and at a certain point physical screen size comes into play. I brought up Smash since it had similar clairity problems to sho w I think they could probably work around Pikmin's clarity/discernability issues, but that doesn't mean they aren't issues. I don't think Pikmin 1-2 ports would really work either with their camera angles and palettes, Pikmin 3DS would probably need to be an original game built around these issues.

SerTapTap

I'm ready for anything pikmin

wtf @ screen size vs resolution argument. Resolution is very much a problem when individual pikmin would literally be a few pixels in size on screen at standard pikmin zoom levels.

sörine;135861862 said:
Oh, your Xenoblade comment comparison confused me since clarifty wouldn't be an issue at all for that port. New 3DS doesn't really improve clarity over 3DS, it's still 240p although a little larger screen size on the small model.

PPI isn't the issue either, it's actually about discerning what's happening onscreen and at a certain point physical screen size comes into play. I brought up Smash since it had similar clairity problems to sho w I think they could probably work around Pikmin's clarity/discernability issues, but that doesn't mean they aren't issues. I don't think Pikmin 1-2 ports would really work either with their camera angles and palettes, Pikmin 3DS would probably need to be an original game built around these issues.
Of course there are issues, as with porting anything. We are disscussing Miyamoto's claim here thought.

Why do you think the games wouldn't work with "their original camera angles and palettes". The simple character design and uniform colors of Pikimin are by design easy to track in resolution starved screens. This game was designed at a time when high resolutions were a realm only available to PC hardware. By extension, low resolutions and small screen didn't prevent a variety of Strategy Games (PC ports even) to appear on handhelds with even less resolution than the 3DS.

And then there's Pikmin 3, a from the ground up console designed Pikmin experience in HD that plays quite well in the SD 6'' Gamepad. That's not considering in a 3DS even with the smaller screens, you need to take into account the extra screen space since you have 2 screens close to each other.

i'll close this by going back to the orginal point (Miyamoto's comment). It's not believable enough and you wouldn't need to alter Pikmin 1/2 much to work on the 3DS small screen size, at least not to the point of needing the game to be worked from zero. Because we have precedent of strategy games been playable in even in lower res and smaller screens.
Notice how the gamepad is a lot bigger than any 3DS screen.
This was your original statement:

Basically that resolution didn't matter it was all about screen size. That got answered with Pikmin 3 on Wii U Gamepad.

Now your claim is that the Gamepad screen is a lot bigger than the portable ones. Well a 3DS screen is 3.53'' (3.88'') and 4.88'' to an LL, the Gamepad is 6''. That difference is negible when you compare that Gamepad 6'' screen to a 27'' inch TV screen, which was a normal screen size back in the GC days when the HD TV's explotion was years away of happening. So your argument is not really sound here.

Anyway Sorine and Moon, that's my finale take about the issue in this thread. We have derailed it enough as it is XD

Why not WiiU aswell?
Rather strange when they go to the lenghts of announcing a future demo of Pikmin 3. Makes me think of the following:

* The 3DS has a larger market prescense, so more people would have the chance to view the films. This however, doesn't explain why not announced for Wii U also.

* Maybe the 3D could be a very integral part of the experience the films are trying to portrait. Which would be rather interesting. Do we even know in what format the films are been presented at the festival?

Why not WiiU aswell?
That had me scratching my head. They were like; This CGI is top notch, the team have had to remake it from scratch as it is way better quality than Pikmin 3. The only way you can watch this is on a 400*240 screen.

Its cute you can do things with 3D, I get that, but I feel for the artists really working on putting in details that nobody can ever see (if they remain 3DS exclusive).

The Kid Icarus shorts are in the same boat (though IIRC one of them used in-game models)...maybe worse as their only distribution was via the Nintendo video...bleh (I guess I'll have to watch the Plautena SSB trailer to imagine what part of it would look like)

Or maybe as a port of the GC games on the New 3DS? The system needs to sustain itself until 2016 and i don't think Nintendo will be investing robust resources in any 3DS projects, Wii U (until part of 2016) and the next hardware platforms are the priorities right now.
I would buy the shit out of a pikmin handheld port

JordanN

Banned
sörine;135854770 said:

iBjljoA3DdZWa.png

Meh, still looks doable to me. The 3DS would be close to your face anyway so you could pick them out.

The UI could go on the bottom screen for less clutter.

Blues1990

I'm loving what I see, so far. And to think, I thought these little guys couldn't be more adorable than they already are.

watershed

Banned
I feel like the timing on this is awful. The shorts should have been released individually in the weeks leading up to Pikmin 3's release date with the demo coming right after the final video. Then there could have been some hope of drawing new fans into the Pikmin series.

Famitsu just posted about the event.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201410/28064499.html (When the link fails, hit enter to load the page)

-The films were screened in 3D at the event.
-The films are 'Late-Night Juice' (2 mins), 'The Treasure Inside The Bottle' (8 mins), and 'The Rough Day' (13 mins).
-Miyamoto showed off some of the storyboards he made in Flipnote 3D at the event.
-He joked that with the time he put in making these short films he probably could have made about 2 games.
-He was reticent to use the Rock Pikmin idea at first, but with the mechanic involing breaking glass/crystal in the game came to the conclusion that rocks breaking it would be easiest to convey.
-Rock (and probably Flying) Pikmin don't appear in the films since they were made at the same time as Pikmin 3 and they hadn't finalized everything about those types yet.
-He mentioned that he's working on the Star Fox game for Wii U.
-They'd like to release the Pikmin 3 demo on Wii U and the films on the 3DS at the same time.

casiopao

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201410/28064499.html (When the link fails, hit enter to load the page)

-The films are 'Late-Night Juice' (2 mins), 'The Treasure Inside The Bottle' (8 mins), and 'The Rough Day' (13 mins).
-Miyamoto showed off some of the storyboards he made in Flipnote 3D at the event.
-

Soooo cuteeee.

Actually, can't Miyamoto makes Pikmin spin-off for 3ds? Maybe this time is more like starcraft series? Where pikmin building their base and swarming enemies? We can zoom in and zoom out to see the Pikmin in battle too.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I love Pikmin :D

Curious to know if Nintendo has any plans to expand the franchise. What other styles of gameplay would make sense in this universe?

SalvaPot

Soooo cuteeee.

Actually, can't Miyamoto makes Pikmin spin-off for 3ds? Maybe this time is more like starcraft series? Where pikmin building their base and swarming enemies? We can zoom in and zoom out to see the Pikmin in battle too.

That sounds amazing.

I'm excited for the shorts but the real news here is that there was a version of the Mario Bros movie that wasn't a horrific pile of shit.

xandaca

Why release these on 3DS when people who own that system but not a Wii U won't be able to play any Pikmin games? Incomprehensible. Either way, hopefully these will drum up a little interest in Pikmin 3, as I'd love to see a sequel, or at the very least a few new Bingo Battle arenas for 3 as DLC.

L~A

-He joked that with the time he put in making these short films he probably could have made about 2 games.
-He was reticent to use the Rock Pikmin idea at first, but with the mechanic involing breaking glass/crystal in the game came to the conclusion that rocks breaking it would be easiest to convey.
-Rock (and probably Flying) Pikmin don't appear in the films since they were made at the same time as Pikmin 3 and they hadn't finalized everything about those types yet.
-He mentioned that he's working on the Star Fox game for Wii U.
-They'd like to release the Pikmin 3 demo on Wii U and the films on the 3DS at the same time.

Thanks a bunch, added those to the OP!

Really cool info, and guess that confirms my suspicions... demo should hit at the same time as the shorts.

Seik

Banned

Oh well, what is done is done, the man can do whatever he feels like.

But still...:(

@MUWANdo

Banned
Soooo cuteeee.

He doesn't want to make a game in that style. He said they tried prototyping Pikmin games for both DS and 3DS that ended up going in that direction and he didn't think it was interesting.

No, there was at best a script but more likely a pitch/outline that wasn't a horrific pile of shit.
I don't see how that contradicts what I said?

The quote specifically says it was a script. But still. We're saying the same thing. I didn't mean that there was a cut of the movie that was good. Just at a point in time there was a version of the movie (in this case a script) that wasn't the travesty we got.

Chaos17

Well, the thing is.... it's just videos. There's really nothing preventing them from releasing those on Wii U. I doubt they were made in 400x240, so... Then again, I'm afraid we're going to have to wait months before we hear of those again.

Maybe because 3DS is more used by kids and it was sold more than the Wii U in Japan ?
That's just a guess.

I'm excited for the shorts but the real news here is that there was a version of the Mario Bros movie that wasn't a horrific pile of shit.
This is not news.

While Lightmotive continued its search for actors and directors, it commissioned the first of many scripts. Barry Morrow, one of the Academy Award-winning writers of Rain Man, took first crack at the plot, but his treatment was deemed too dramatic and the project was passed over to the writing team that had worked on The Flintstones and Richie Rich.

This version of the script was more in line with Mario’s roots. Mario and Luigi traveled to a magical land reminiscent of The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland. In this world, the evil King Koopa – an actual green lizard king – had kidnapped a Princess named Hildy and made her his bride, so that he could access the magical Crown of Invincibility. The Mario brothers and their sidekick Toad set off on a quest to rescue the princess and prevent Koopa from getting his hands on the artifact.

This script was likely the closest the film would ever get to emulating the playful world imagined in Nintendo’s games. However, Lightmotive had already signed a directorial team to the project, and these visionaries would take the film down some wild rabbit holes.

Top Bottom