• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball Arcade: Star Trek TNG Kickstarter by FarSight Studios [Ended, $52K funded]

Honestly, I think they should put up the stretch goal for the next table sooner rather than later. So far so good. Now get to fixing and updating yer shit, FarSight.

Shaneus

This is bad, some jackass could "pledge" thousands and not be able to pay it, KS should verify that payments are possible.
Pretty much. I've heard stories of people who have pulled pledges either before or after KS projects have closed. Either to the point where it drops below the cutoff amount or not. Never looked into it, but it's pretty shit. But charging right away or not... don'tthink anyone can win either way.

Jucksalbe

Banned
This is bad, some jackass could "pledge" thousands and not be able to pay it, KS should verify that payments are possible.

Just look at the FAQ for this Kickstarter:

According to Kickstarter the Twilight Zone project raised $77,500- why are you saying it only raised $70,000?

$77,500 was PLEDGED to the Twilight Zone project, but when a project funds if a credit card charge for a pledge is denied we don't receive that pledge. We also must pay credit card fees to Amazon and a 5% fee to Kickstarter. The amount we actually RECEIVED from the Twilight Zone project was a little less than $70,000.

Shaneus

I wonder if they'll mention what happens to the extra cashola when they go over the amount. Perhaps a hint of what other tables are likely?

Also, updated OP.

o9bHl.png

Pretty sure this is going a LOT better than TZ.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I wonder if they'll mention what happens to the extra cashola when they go over the amount. Perhaps a hint of what other tables are likely?
Probably put it towards meeting the next table's goal, like they did here.
Our previous Kickstarter project for the Twilight Zone pinball table raised just under $70,000 thanks to the amazing generosity of pinball fans throughout the world. That was $15,000 more than we needed for the Twilight Zone licenses, and we're applying this towards the license costs of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Mmm, if I had the dough, I'd probably pitch in a little bit.

Well, I probably will have the dough in a few weeks... It'd be my first Kickstarter, but hell, digitized Star Trek TNG pinball? I'd love to help make it so.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It seems to have kind of stalled at $25K over the weekend, no? I'm sure it will be funded... right?

Maybe? It's going slower than the Twilight Zone Kickstarter, so it might be close. On the other hand they don't need as much money this time.

Polk

It seems to have kind of stalled at $25K over the weekend, no? I'm sure it will be funded... right?
It should be funded.
Although it's hard to convince people to fund another table if last one wasn't released.
Plus they still are missing lot of PC gamers. They should really put some say something about that version.

AcridMeat

Banned
For some reason I thought this was already funded, backed now. Played it at California Extreme, what a glorious table.

This better be funded!

Minsc

Gold Member
Maybe? It's going slower than the Twilight Zone Kickstarter, so it might be close. On the other hand they don't need as much money this time.

Well it took 14 days for the Twilight Zone table to be funded to 100% (and another 14 days to get 40% over the 55K), so this one getting over 50% of its goal in under 2 days is not terrible. It has to make a bit under 1,000 a day to not be funded at this point, seems incredibly unlikely.

Shaneus

But it only started on the weekend? I don't remember how to view KS graphs (maybe it can only be viewed once it's finished) but I'm sure a comparison would show this has been greater.

Shaneus

You mean Kicktraq?
Here's the one for Star Trek and here's the one for Twilight Zone.
You're awesome. So it looks like it's a tiny bit slower, but really too early to draw any comparison.

Either way, I very much doubt it won't get funded at all at this rate. I'd still like to see what the extra money (if any) could be put towards by way of an update sooner rather than later. A lot of people have to be wondering why they should donate when they don't know what happens >$50k.

web01

Pretty sure I said the same thing on their last kick starter but locking out the operators menu is a dick move. They are not doing a very good job preserving these pinball tables as they say they want to when its not available. Just spin so they can get sympathy for funding.

jgkspsx

I agree on that. Lack of operator menus is painful and baffling. If they did it just to get additional funding for a couple-three tables, that would make me pretty angry.

EDIT: Similar numbers of backers, much less money, and a much steeper dropoff. It's 3/5ths of the way there, though...

Jucksalbe

Banned
They posted a video of the (real) table on their kickstarter page for anyone that doesn't know it.

The kickstarter has been going very slow for the last couple of days. I hope it picks up again soon, because at the current rate it would actually fail to meet its goal (but I guess pledges will go up on the last days anyway).

I'm not even a Star Trek fan but I can't wait for this table. I don't really care what the theme is as long as it plays nice and this looks like it absolutely does!

Minsc

Gold Member
They posted a video of the (real) table on their kickstarter page for anyone that doesn't know it.

The kickstarter has been going very slow for the last couple of days. I hope it picks up again soon, because at the current rate it would actually fail to meet its goal (but I guess pledges will go up on the last days anyway).

Hopefully it does... I still expect it to clear the goal in the final days like you say if it stretches out that long.

There's really next to no point in over-backing these projects, as you see with others topping 400% funded or more, since TZ/TNG are poor value propositions (once they get funded). It's kinda neat having the operator's menu, but I never use them, so beyond the very expensive star trek themed pinball, there's not a lot in it for me or anyone else to pledge excessively.

The other table was a little faster, but you have to take in to account they also announced the rollover to this table before it was fully 100% funded (86% looking through the updates), which caused a large spike in funding halfway through (~$15,000 worth), and I'm not sure we'll see a similar thing happen this time, with a third table announced to run through kickstarter midway through this. But if it does happen, let it be TAF!

SickBoy

I think even if they do plan a third table, people might be less likely to pledge towards a stretch goal, working on the assumption that it will wind up on Kickstarter regardless.

That said, I'd probably put in a tenner for Star Trek if they stretch-goaled Addams Family, just to show my support for that table. Otherwise, I'm not in a rush to invest in tables, or even the game at this juncture (too much backlog... will eventually).

Baron

I put in $10. I may increase that if needed. This was the pinball machine that I remember most fondly from my teenage years. I still remember the little Riker voice clip saying something like "We don't have time for your games, Q!" It always put a smile on my face. Amazing how I haven't seen or played this table in over 15 years but my memories are still vivid. Can't wait for this to eventually be released.

Shaneus

Updated the OP with the little bit of extra info and an updated tally. TBH, even if it doesn't make it, if they've come this close they'll probably work something out (even though I know that if it doesn't get funded, no-one gets charged).

PS. That video gives me goosebumps. The music especially, but also the genius behind the quick ball-transporter thingy (keeping a ball "buffered" to speed up transition time between table areas)... a first for Williams (and copyrighted too, I believe). And the little sound stabs they use when counting down the end-of-ball bonuses? Easily my favourite of any table. Yes, even better than the lamp bonus countdown from TotAN.

acm2000

so glad i didnt buy this game on XBLA, as i dont agree with this shitty tactic to make the dlc, will spend my points elsewhere thanks

i think they're close enough now for the final push to get them where they need to be. i think people are much more likely to contribute to a kickstarter that's ALMOST reached it's goal. you'll get a lot of people waiting until near the end to see if it needs their help to go over the finishing line, people who are willing to chip in if it needs them, but who would rather wait and buy the DLC for cheaper if it doesn't need their help to reach funding.

this isn't quite at 'stabbing distance' yet, but i'm confident it'll get there with well over two weeks left.

Minsc

Gold Member
What "shitty tactic"? Asking for funding to pay for the license?

Yea, way to miss the point acm2000. It's the customers that asked / begged for this in the first place, and FarSight was luckily open to the idea, so now we can get these highly requested tables made they would have otherwise skipped over because the additional licensing fees were too prohibitive.

Irregardless if any of these kickstarters are funded, FarSight would still continue to release DLC, it's just you get to play "better" tables if they are funded. So even if you don't agree with these kickstarters, I don't see why you'd complain, as it's a win-win whether they are funded or not.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Updated the OP with the little bit of extra info and an updated tally. TBH, even if it doesn't make it, if they've come this close they'll probably work something out (even though I know that if it doesn't get funded, no-one gets charged).

PS. That video gives me goosebumps. The music especially, but also the genius behind the quick ball-transporter thingy (keeping a ball "buffered" to speed up transition time between table areas)... a first for Williams (and copyrighted too, I believe). And the little sound stabs they use when counting down the end-of-ball bonuses? Easily my favourite of any table. Yes, even better than the lamp bonus countdown from TotAN.

They only need 11 grand with 19 days to go? This easily gets done.

Baron

The pledged amount has been stuck at $35K for 3 days now. Hmmm. I hope more people chip in, this is IMPORTANT.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The pledged amount has been stuck at $35K for 3 days now. Hmmm. I hope more people chip in, this is IMPORTANT.

The average per day pledges in the last couple of days were around $750. It still needs ~$525 per day to get funded. It's probably fine.

Baron

The average per day pledges in the last couple of days were around $750. It still needs ~$525 per day to get funded. It's probably fine.

Yeah, you're likely right, but Farsight should chime in soon somehow to give it a boost.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, you're likely right, but Farsight should chime in soon somehow to give it a boost.

Do you think there's much they can do short of announcing a new table for kickstarting like they did last time, which accounted for essentially the final spike of around $15,000 in pledges?

There's no reason to overfund this kickstarter, so why would you want to back it unless you had a fetish for custom pinball skins or really wanted the operator's menu?

If it was in danger of failing, then yes, there's something on line worth backing, but other than that not much. I do half-expect them to give an update at the halfway point again.... though I don't know what. I don't think they can do a signed contract update until it actually gets funded, and if they don't do another table announcement, I can't think of what else they'd have to say. Throw in a free table pack of your choice for backing?

Or maybe they could reveal a proper UI, or concrete PC details to get a few more PC users backing it. Though as soon as they say Steam, we'll get all the custom pinball cabinet people throwing a fit, and if they say something besides Steam, well, there will also be a large group of people upset.

Harlock

They need disseminate this in StarTrek foruns. 10$ is expensive for a single table, but not if you are into the show. And I think TNG seasons 3-7 aged very well.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Do you think there's much they can do short of announcing a new table for kickstarting like they did last time, which accounted for essentially the final spike of around $15,000 in pledges?

That's if they even have another table they need a kickstarter for and of which they are such they'll get the rights.
But looking at this, all they need is to give an update from time to time. It got a small bump (from $500 to $1000) the day they showed the video of the table. Just a little reminder that this kickstarter is still running. That's really all it needs.

Baron

That's if they even have another table they need a kickstarter for and of which they are such they'll get the rights.
But looking at this, all they need is to give an update from time to time. It got a small bump (from $500 to $1000) the day they showed the video of the table. Just a little reminder that this kickstarter is still running. That's really all it needs.

Yeah, that's just the kind of update or "bump" I'm talking about. Just a little tidbit thrown our way may entice people more and at the very least just bring the thing back into the conversation. Attention is good. They don't necessarily have to announce another table license pending or anything.

They need disseminate this in StarTrek foruns. 10$ is expensive for a single table, but not if you are into the show. And I think TNG seasons 3-7 aged very well.

This I agree with as well. Why hasn't the official Trek site at least highlighted it? I suppose it may be seen to cast a marginally negative light on Paramount and the license holders, though, seeing as the Kickstarter is basically begging for money to do something that Paramount has made too expensive to be otherwise feasible. Perhaps that's why no mention (that I'm aware of) by Star Trek.com or whatever.

Shaneus

This I agree with as well. Why hasn't the official Trek site at least highlighted it? I suppose it may be seen to cast a marginally negative light on Paramount and the license holders, though, seeing as the Kickstarter is basically begging for money to do something that Paramount has made too expensive to be otherwise feasible. Perhaps that's why no mention (that I'm aware of) by Star Trek.com or whatever.
Possible, but unlikely. There'd be more people who are pinball fans who'd chuck into this than Star Trek (and if there's any crossover at all, no matter how little, then they'd definitely fit into the former) and I doubt anybody thinks Paramount are being tight re: the license. Star Trek is a pretty massive IP and that they're willing to let it go at all is a pretty big thing.

Top Bottom