• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball Arcade: Star Trek TNG Kickstarter by FarSight Studios [Ended, $52K funded]

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jurassic Park was good but the first Indiana Jones table absolutely blows it away. Definitely would be my choice.

Shaneus

Jurassic Park was good but the first Indiana Jones table absolutely blows it away. Definitely would be my choice.
I'm in agreement here. And JP is a DE table, which makes it even harder. All the good licensed tables were by Williams and Bally anyway, with a small handful of exceptions.

I'm in agreement here. And JP is a DE table, which makes it even harder. All the good licensed tables were by Williams and Bally anyway, with a small handful of exceptions.

FarSight has said in the past that they have the rights to remake any of the Stern/Sega/Data East pins, as long as they can also obtain rights to any ancillary licenses.

As expected. Wish they'd put up a list of tables with approximate KS funding targets so that the community could vote for which one is next.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow--didn't think it would pass it so soon.

Now if they could only get the licenses for the first Indiana Jones table...

Jucksalbe

Banned
As expected. Wish they'd put up a list of tables with approximate KS funding targets so that the community could vote for which one is next.

Do you think they have that many tables of which they are sure to get the license if they just collect enough money?
But I'm also interested what they say about stretch goals when the table reaches its goal.

Do you think they have that many tables of which they are sure to get the license if they just collect enough money?
But I'm also interested what they say about stretch goals when the table reaches its goal.
I'm sure they've got a rough list and just haven't shared that information yet. I mean, these two KS tables can't be the first two that they tried to work out if and how much. T2 and Addams Family must be on that list...or, they investigated the possibilities on them, anyway.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Addams Family must be an absolute quagmire. Pinball table based on a movie based on a TV show based on a comic strip, with movie music based on the TV show music, plus voice acting by the film actors including one who is dead (thus necessitating negotiation with his estate), and MC Hammer music samples on top of that.

The research alone must be taking them months if not years.

Addams Family must be an absolute quagmire. Pinball table based on a movie based on a TV show based on a comic strip, with movie music based on the TV show music, plus voice acting by the film actors including one who is dead (thus necessitating negotiation with his estate), and MC Hammer music samples on top of that.

And it will be worth it because the community would likely step up to fund a KS project, even more than double the goal of the last two. It's the Holy Grail of pins for a lot of people.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow, I can't believe I missed this.

Have they announced how much this table (or the Twilight Zone table) will cost when actually released? 10 dollars?

Plinko

There is also the rumor that Raul Julia's family absolutely refuses to license anything that has to do with him at his request.

If that's the case, there's absolutely no way this table ever gets recreated.

Nuklear

Banned
There is also the rumor that Raul Julia's family absolutely refuses to license anything that has to do with him at his request.

Didn't Farsight already say that this table will not be made because getting all the licensing together for it is next to impossible due to it being super expensive?

Ryck

Didn't know this game existed till today, I had Zen Pinball for Ps3 but something never felt quite right. Downloaded Pinball Arcade and spent the last two hours thoroughly enjoying it, fantastic game.

Thanks GAF!

Baron

If it really came down to Raul Julia's estate's refusal to participate, couldn't they just use another voice actor and another likeness of him? Why not John Astin? Isn't that his name, the original Gomez?

I know the table wouldn't be exactly the same experience, but at least the gameplay would be intact.

Minsc

Gold Member
Wow, I can't believe I missed this.

Have they announced how much this table (or the Twilight Zone table) will cost when actually released? 10 dollars?

Probably more like $5, their original statement was they were expecting $4 for tables "with expensive ancillary licenses."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Probably more like $5, their original statement was a max of $4 for a table.
Hrm, I guess if they've already paid off the licensing costs, they don't need to charge more to make up for the operating costs of actually making the tables.

Minsc

Gold Member
Hrm, I guess if they've already paid off the licensing costs, they don't need to charge more to make up for the operating costs of actually making the tables.

Plus, special or not, $10 for a single table is most likely way out of the comfort zone for people who are used to getting a 2 table pack for ~$4.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

I don't think it's that so much as untangling the MC Hammer rights that are the major obstacle.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I don't think it's that so much as untangling the MC Hammer rights that are the major obstacle.
Dude did a reality show whose whole point was to make fun of washed-up celebrities a few years ago. I don't think he's above cashing a royalty check.

Nuklear

Banned
It's officially reached it's goal!!

Thanks to the generosity and dedication of our backers the Star Trek: The Next Generation pinball project has reached it's goal! It's fitting that tomorrow is the 48th anniversary of the airing of the first Star Trek episode. We're proud to carry on the Star Trek legacy- on behalf of the entire team here at FarSight Studios, thank you for backing us! Star Trek: The Next Generation will definitely be coming your way!

We've been hinting that we'd make a licensing announcement if the project was successful, so here it is. We are excited to announce that we've signed a license with Elvia, Mistress of the Dark to bring the amazing Scared Stiff and Elvira and the Party Monsters tables to the Pinball Arcade! Elvira has been a longtime friend of pinball so this was not as difficult a license as the Twilight Zone or Star Trek. Consequently we don't need another Kickstarter campaign to fund it- it's definitely going to happen! Check out the video below!

There are still 8 days left in the Star Trek: The Next Generation project and we have some other high-profile licensed tables we'd like to digitize. We will use any additional money we raise over the amount needed for the Star Trek license to go after these licenses (we're sure you know which ones they are!)

Thanks again for backing us, and thanks for your support of the Pinball Arcade- you guys are amazing!

Fantastic news. I'm so happy we're getting Star Trek, and then they go and annouce both Elvira tables? Im so stoked right now. I just punched the air in delight. Thank you Farsight.

I know this project has a few warts and all, but playing these tables again - along with quite a few brilliant ones I'd never seen in the wild - it's a dream come true for me.

Right when are getting Earthshaker? :)

FarSight KS update said:
We will use any additional money we raise over the amount needed for the Star Trek license to go after these licenses (we're sure you know which ones they are!)
Man, what is it with their lack of transparency on this? It's not like others are moving to take the licenses from them first as they're completely alone in the field of real pins converted to video simulation. Just come out and say what they are.

If they would name them people would assume they had the licenses.
This way they can say "we never promised anything specific".

So, just say they're investigating the licenses of X table, but are not decided yet. It's just annoying that they play it so coyly, yet aren't afraid to say something like that.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So, just say they're investigating the licenses of X table, but are not decided yet.

Those are details that would soon be ignored. As soon as they name a title people would assume things.
But I guess the way they are doing it, they won't get much more money for the kickstarter than is pledged now.

Harlock

They reach 45K:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-star-trek-the-next-generation

(Edit) message from the project:

Thanks to the generosity and dedication of our backers the Star Trek: The Next Generation pinball project has reached it's goal! It's fitting that tomorrow is the 48th anniversary of the airing of the first Star Trek episode. We're proud to carry on the Star Trek legacy- on behalf of the entire team here at FarSight Studios, thank you for backing us! Star Trek: The Next Generation will definitely be coming your way!

We've been hinting that we'd make a licensing announcement if the project was successful, so here it is. We are excited to announce that we've signed a license with Elvia, Mistress of the Dark to bring the amazing Scared Stiff and Elvira and the Party Monsters tables to the Pinball Arcade! Elvira has been a longtime friend of pinball so this was not as difficult a license as the Twilight Zone or Star Trek. Consequently we don't need another Kickstarter campaign to fund it- it's definitely going to happen! Check out the video below!

There are still 8 days left in the Star Trek: The Next Generation project and we have some other high-profile licensed tables we'd like to digitize. We will use any additional money we raise over the amount needed for the Star Trek license to go after these licenses (we're sure you know which ones they are!)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Good news on the PC front.

Farsight Kickstarter Update said:
Many of you have been patiently (OK, not so patiently) awaiting news about the PC version of the Pinball Arcade. We are excited to announce that it is finally ready! We would like to partner with the Steam online gaming platform to distribute the PC version (including the PC version of the Star Trek: The Next Generation table for our backers) but we need your help. Steam uses a greenlight process to decide which games to distribute based on the number of votes a game receives. Please take a minute to cast a vote for the Pinball Arcade.

Minsc

Gold Member
Finally! But what do I do? Invest in all the tables again? That's a lot of money on pinball.

It's the same you'd do if you switch to any other platform that doesn't share the stores you own it on. PC/Mac/iOS/PSN/XBLA/Android are all unique purchases, we've known that from day 1.

All you really have to do is vote to approve it on Greenlight so the chances of it getting on Steam go up, and FarSight will get more customers which helps them get more money and do more/bigger tables. That doesn't cost anything, and helps out indirectly even if you have no interest in buying anything. :)

Shaneus

I honestly have no problem re-buying everything on PC again. I'll probably not buy anything on 360 again thanks to Big Picture mode, but that's it. iOS will still have it's place, but I certainly won't regret the money I've spent on it so far.

Top Bottom