• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides eighth film in history to $1 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
It's time more people start paying attention to the overseas market when looking at film grosses and then many of these totals will not come as a surprise. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs is the 3rd highest grossing animated film of all-time at $886,686,817 WW. However the film did not gross $200 million domestically.

The Hobbit for number 1!!

I'm stunned Alice in Wonderland is in there. It's utter shite.

I can understand all the other films. Avatar has a shitty plot/story but it was the big 3D film..

Shorty

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Hopefully this stops people from using box office numbers in any kind of argument, because it was fucking dogshit-- this coming from someone who liked 2 and 3.
wat

Tuck

I enjoyed Pirates 4. It certainly was not up to the quality of the original, and felt a little clunky in some parts, but it was entertaining. Granted, I am pretty easy to please.

That mermaid sequence was awesome.

Man and we have people saying the new Spiderman is going to bring in more money than Batman Begins and Dark Knight combined :lol oh so silly.

DMczaf

The Dark Knight is the only $1B movie to make over 50% (or even 40%) of it's take from America.

The REAL Captain America!

spiderman123 said:
Lol, I would definitely want to see a "Pirates 4"

edit: Concerning the story, I personally have never seen a Pirates of the Caribbean Movie, so I cannot judge.

the first movie (Curse of the Black Pearl) is great you should really check it out. The others are hit and miss.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Damn. Like EVERY Harry Potter movie is in the top 30. That's insane. Rowling has gotta be so damn rich.

dvdjamm

Star Wars would be in the Top 3 based on 2011 money values...I just hope that when they start filming a Pirates 5 that they get a new director and writer.

DMczaf said:
The Dark Knight is the only $1B movie to make over 50% (or even 40%) of it's take from America.

He's not the hero movies need. He's the hero movies deserve.

Dead

well not really...yet
dvdjamm said:
Star Wars would be in the Top 3 based on 2011 money values...I just hope that when they start filming a Pirates 5 that they get a new director and writer.
Probably Not. Star Wars only grossed ~315 Mil OS. I dont think thats enough to place it in the top 5, even adjusted for Infalation, and consider the 1997 re-release, so you cant just adjust it for 1 year

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
What a huge shame, considering this was the biggest joke of a movie I've seen in a long time and I completely regret buying a ticket.

Also, quite surprising that Alice in Wonderland grossed a billion, I don't think I know anyone who's seen it

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Lucas must hate money for not wanting to make another 3 Star Wars movies.

Also, I'm curious to see what the inevitable Pirates 5 is like. I'm sure it's not like the creators of Pirates 4 went into it saying "screw America, we're making a movie the rest of the world will love and all Americans will hate!". Sometimes blockbuster movies just don't click with a lot of people. I know I really didn't like Avatar or Transformers 2 for instance.

Tabris

The reason they are so high is the people who would normally pirate those movies are forced to go see them due to wanting to see them in 3D.

ili0926

3N16MA said:
It's time more people start paying attention to the overseas market when looking at film grosses and then many of these totals will not come as a surprise. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs is the 3rd highest grossing animated film of all-time at $886,686,817 WW. However the film did not gross $200 million domestically.

Agreed. I feel like this trend has more to do with countries like China getting richer and richer in recent years than people in America having bad taste. That list will only end up getting inundated by contemporary releases due to the scale of the future market.

DMczaf

Wasn't Star Wars released in like 5 countries? Today shit like The Zookeeper gets 65+ country releases.

dmshaposv

whytemyke said:
Damn. Like EVERY Harry Potter movie is in the top 30. That's insane. Rowling has gotta be so damn rich.
Wait till dh part 2, it would be safe to assume there will be a new addition to the top 5 in the billion list.

jett

D-Member
Is Pirates 4 even any good? Didn't see it because it looked like ass.

Alice in Wonderland is just...lol. I don't understand that one at all. That movie is astoundingly awful.

ussjme

Jonny Depp's next pirate movie paycheck is going to be epic. Prolly something like 50 mill upfront and a good percentage of the gross

Dead

well not really...yet
Also, this is why $2 Billion is the new $1 Billion

Expanding markets and 3D Prices have made it so that $1 Bil is a lot more realistic of a goal than it ever was.

So yeah, the goal post has been moved to $2 Bil, with Avatars near $3 Bil gross probably being unachieveable by any movie currently in the works, just as Titanic's was unachievable until Avatar. Hell I seriously doubt any movie in a long time will even outgross Titanic.

There's pretty much little doubt that Gone with the Wind is the most widely viewed film in the history of the planet, with Avatar and Titanic being the 2 most widely viewed modern movies accross the planet (of probably any film in the past 20 years, and Jurassic park would probably be a runner up)

JdFoX187

Banned
It's a shame garbage like On Stranger Tides makes it into that category. I have never seen a mainstream "blockbuster" film with so little redeeming qualities.

dvdjamm

Dead said:
Probably Not. Star Wars only grossed ~315 Mil OS. I dont think thats enough to place it in the top 5, even adjusted for Infalation, and consider the 1997 re-release, so you cant just adjust it for 1 year

35 Star Wars $775,398,007

In 1977 a general admission price for a ticket in California was $3.00. If you were 11 or under the price was a bit cheaper. I believe it to be $2.50. I don't recall a senior citizen price. Star Wars played in theaters for over a year. If you look at newspapers on microfiche you can find it in the movie section in July of 1978.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_the_movie_ticket_price_to_see_Star_Wars_in_1977#ixzz1R3hYB0uP

$3.00...and tickets are anywhere from $8.50 for a matinee to $14.00 in 2011 in America alone

DOMESTIC GROSSES
Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation*

Rank Title Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Year^

1 Gone with the Wind MGM $1,588,070,800 $198,676,459 1939^
2 Star Wars Fox $1,400,020,000 $460,998,007 1977^
3 The Sound of Music Fox $1,119,384,900 $158,671,368 1965
4 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial Uni. $1,114,975,100 $435,110,554 1982^
5 The Ten Commandments Par. $1,029,660,000 $65,500,000 1956
6 Titanic Par. $1,008,798,700 $600,788,188 1997
7 Jaws Uni. $1,006,699,500 $260,000,000 1975
8 Doctor Zhivago MGM $975,704,700 $111,721,910 1965
9 The Exorcist WB $869,069,700 $232,671,011 1973^
10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Dis. $856,740,000 $184,925,486 1937^

DMczaf

WB in 2012

Johnny Depp+Tim Burton Dark Shadows

The Dark Knight Rises

Nolan produced Superman

The Hobbit I

0219_nnle.gif

woodchuck

DMczaf said:

now just imagine if Johnny Depp played Batman. 3 BILLION DOLLARS

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Amir0x said:
A lot of times people say a director "dials in" a film and I sort of roll my eyes because what does that really mean most of the time? it just means that to the person who thinks that, the director didn't have his heart in it.

But for Alice in Wonderland... Tim Burton dialed it in. He injected some of his prototypical stylistic hot topic flair and then called it a day

A dark and stylistically fuck-awesome Alice is what we should have got from Burton. It still shits me that we got some fairytale Happy-Happy Joy-Joy wank.

I want to go back in time and convince the studio to hand the job over to Henry Selick.

Jarmel

Banned
DMczaf said:
WB in 2012

Johnny Depp+Tim Burton Dark Shadows

The Dark Knight Rises

Nolan produced Superman

The Hobbit I

0219_nnle.gif

Yea not so much. It seems his work has been pretty minimal on the movie.

3N16MA

Banned
Dead said:

Star Wars is 2nd all-time domestically when adjusted for inflation however that is includes the re-release.

DMczaf

Jarmel said:
Yea not so much. It seems his work has been pretty minimal on the movie.

He's executive producing, has story credit, headed the director search, and did the Superman screen tests.

He's pretty involved.

Dead

well not really...yet
3N16MA said:
Star Wars is 2nd all-time when adjusted for inflation however that is includes the re-release.
Thats domestic though, im talking Worldwide

Its pretty much impossible to determine for Worldwide, but I guess looking at it, it should at least be top 5

jett

D-Member
charsace said:
But each of them make a ton of money. Compare that to the second star wars trilogy.

they made a ton too. 900~ mill, 600 mill~, 800 mill~. The HP collective are just that much more rabid, considering they've supported 4 mediocre movies in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom