• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides eighth film in history to $1 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
Dead said:
Thats domestic though, im talking Worldwide

Its pretty much impossible to determine for Worldwide, but I guess looking at it, it should at least be top 5

I know I was just trying to give it some kind of position even if it's domestic.

dmshaposv

jett said:
Is Pirates 4 even any good? Didn't see it because it looked like ass.

Alice in Wonderland is just...lol. I don't understand that one at all. That movie is astoundingly awful.
Remove all the novelty of witnessing jack sparrow, consider him a cartoon character rather than the charming rogue, add a shitty nonsensical plot and a lame romance with an extremely disappointing performance by Ian mcshane. Add in that they were barely any visual spectacles and you get pirates 4.

ymmv

Banned
Amir0x said:
i disagree. Particularly when garbage like Avatar is #1.

Avatar was so bad, I had to see it the next day because I just couldn't believe my eyes. I was still amazed by how bad it was, so I found a friend who hadn't seen it yet and tagged along with him to see it a third time in less than two weeks. I still couldn't get over how bad it was, so I got the extended version on Blu-Ray too and watched not only the movie twice but also all the deleted scenes and other extras.

What a piece of trash. I'm still disgusted by the fact that it was one of best times I ever had at the movies. It's a good thing I'm hip to the zeitgest and I know popular movies just can't be any good and megapopular movies deserve to be hated. Just because.

SO FUCK YOU AVATAR, YOU STINKING PIECE OF CRAP.

Pirates 4 was a fun movie to watch, but it definitely didn't live up to the hype. Hype sells tickets, though, and it seems like their PR firm was very good at hyping the movie up. In the interviews they all promised that they learned from 2+3 and were going to make 4 more like 1. They made it less confusing, but then took out things that would have made the movie make more sense. How do you have a Pirate movie with no sea battles? How do you have a pirate with a voodoo sword that only ever uses it once in the whole damn movie?

Dead

well not really...yet
Its pretty much impossible to make a full adjusted WW list unfortunately, but an Adjusted top 5 list for the past 30 years (80 - today) would probably be (in no order)

ET
Titanic
Jurassic Park
Empire Strikes Back

LOTR - Return of the King would most likely be close to the top 5 as well

Jarmel

Banned
DMczaf said:
He's executive producing, has story credit, headed the director search, and did the Superman screen tests.

He's pretty involved.

I'm pretty sure someone(maybe Synder) said that they rewrote a good amount of the stuff Nolan did.

Dead

well not really...yet
Jarmel said:
I'm pretty sure someone(maybe Synder) said that they rewrote a good amount of the stuff Nolan did.
The script itself is probably all Goyer and Snyder (and maybe some Jonathan Nolan working his Terminator Salvation "magic" in there too)

Verendus

Banned
AceBandage said:
The other 7.

1 Avatar $2,782,275,172 2009

2 Titanic $1,843,201,268 1997

3 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,119,110,941 2003

4 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,066,179,725 2006

5 Toy Story 3 $1,063,171,911 2010

6 Alice in Wonderland $1,024,299,801 2010

7 The Dark Knight $1,001,921,825 2008
Bolded are the only two that deserve that one billion. Rest don't and some, like Alice, are just wtf.

Amir0x

Banned
ymmv said:
Avatar was so bad, I had to see it the next day because I just couldn't believe my eyes. I was still amazed by how bad it was, so I found a friend who hadn't seen it yet and tagged along with him to see it a third time in less than two weeks. I still couldn't get over how bad it was, so I got the extended version on Blu-Ray too and watched not only the movie twice but also all the deleted scenes and other extras.

What a piece of trash. I'm still disgusted by the fact that it was one of best times I ever had at the movies. It's a good thing I'm hip to the zeitgest and I know popular movies just can't be any good and megapopular movies deserve to be hated. Just because.

SO FUCK YOU AVATAR, YOU STINKING PIECE OF CRAP.

all this just to tell everyone you had bad taste

congratulations?

I particularly like how your second paragraph was immediately rejected by the comment I made in this very thread about how good the LOTR trilogy was, particularly when compared to tripe like Avatar. All three movies and books are some of the most popular of all time.

But i mean, hey, it's the hipster in me that rejects the god-awful writing/story in Avatar because it's "popular". That's it!

ah, you make me giggle. Time to watch some more "hipster" garbage like Toy Story 3.

Jarmel

Banned
Dead said:
The script itself is probably all Goyer and Snyder (and maybe some Jonathan Nolan working his Terminator Salvation "magic" in there too)

Sigh. They did do a good job on the casting though.

dvdjamm

Putting some more thought in it and...
30aqu69.jpg

3N16MA

Banned
2012 is going to have a couple films with he potential to change this list.

The Hobbit
TDKR
Ice Age (yes it's that big)

Amir0x

Banned
3N16MA said:

The Hobbit
TDKR

I have a feeling The Hobbit won't be the same pull as the LOTR trilogy. I mean it'll do good but fall short of those movies. There is a decidedly younger tilt in that book, and I don't think it'll resonate as powerfully as the trilogy.

It'll still do great, though.

3N16MA said:

The Hobbit
TDKR
I think it's pretty much a guarantee. Only question is where in the top 10 they will go.

I assume The Hobbit will come in at #1 or #2.

Amir0x said:
I have a feeling The Hobbit won't be the same pull as the LOTR trilogy. I mean it'll do good but fall short of those movies. There is a decidedly younger tilt in that book, and I don't think it'll resonate as powerfully as the trilogy.
nah. they're going to market that shit like it's the last movie Hollywood will ever make.

the opening weekend will be insane.

Jarmel

Banned
Amir0x said:

It'll still do great, though.

That might actually benefit it if more kids show up.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Fuck a will smith. if you want your movie to make bank get Johnny Depp in there even if you gotta put him in blackface.

Kusagari

3N16MA said:

The Hobbit
TDKR
Ice Age (yes it's that big)

Don't underestimate the Spider-Man remake. Spider-Man is more popular than Batman worldwide.

3N16MA

Banned
Kusagari said:
Don't underestimate the Spider-Man remake. Spider-Man is more popular than Batman worldwide.

TDK did out gross Spider-Man 3 but Spider-Man should still be on the list. So many big films next year.

Kusagari

3N16MA said:
TDK did out gross Spider-Man 3 but Spider-Man should still be on the list. So many big films next year.

Spider-Man 3 made more than TDK overseas. TDK's massive NA gross is the only reason it beat SM3.

Verendus

Banned
Kusagari said:
Spider-Man 3 made more than TDK overseas. TDK's massive NA gross is the only reason it beat SM3.
That doesn't help your argument. Worldwide doesn't mean outside of North America.

Kusagari

Kam said:
That doesn't help your argument. Worldwide doesn't mean outside of North America.

My argument, to begin with, was that Spider-Man is more popular worldwide than Batman. The Dark Knight had virtually every factor going for it in the world and it still barely crossed a billion. Spider-Man 3 would have easily crossed a billion if the terrible WoM didn't kill its legs.

I think people expecting Dark Knights Rises to replicate Dark Knight's massive success will be disappointed.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I think this list proves how detached GAF is with reality...

Niche items are fun but the general populace just enjoys popcorn flicks. These are the type of people who keep the ***** movie teams in work (okay, I love popcorn flicks but the *blank* movie satires aren't funny and are an insult to good satire).

This is parallel to people in the gaming forum who cry when a niche title bombs but the latest military FPS release breaks the next sales record.

I enjoy both well done / written movies as well as brain dead over the top action flicks. Probably why I absolutely LOVED Transformers 3 when I saw it last night. Then again I also enjoy Shia's sarcastic acting style a lot, reminds me of a young Harrison Ford.

But yeah, as much as GAF bitches about Pirates 4 the general consensus among people who don't frequent forums (that I've personally interacted with) that it is the best in the series and even better than the first one.

Seriously... I've heard from multiple people that it is better than the first one...

Then again the only Johnny Depp movie that has let me down is Alice in Wonderland so I think that sold on director + JD (not even the lead!) + Alice in Wonderland is so stupidly in it is ridiculous.

Jarmel

Banned
Kusagari said:
My argument, to begin with, was that Spider-Man is more popular worldwide than Batman. The Dark Knight had virtually every factor going for it in the world and it still barely crossed a billion. Spider-Man 3 would have easily crossed a billion if the terrible WoM didn't kill its legs.

I think people expecting Dark Knights Rises to replicate Dark Knight's massive success will be disappointed.

I expect Rises to do better. Sales in the USA alone will be insane. Anything done by Nolan automatically means shit loads of money.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Kusagari said:

These people are likely the same that expected Inception to best or at least perform similarly to The Dark Knight domestically (US).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Amir0x said:
A lot of times people say a director "dials in" a film and I sort of roll my eyes because what does that really mean most of the time? it just means that to the person who thinks that, the director didn't have his heart in it.

But for Alice in Wonderland... Tim Burton dialed it in. He injected some of his prototypical stylistic hot topic flair and then called it a day
As far as I'm concerned, that's what he's been doing for 15 years. Take an old property and his own 'style' to it and that's it. He's gotten so unoriginal he's even remaking his own stuff now.

Verendus

Banned
Kusagari said:

Right.

Which is why I said it doesn't help your argument of Spider-Man being more popular than Batman worldwide by excluding North America. Worldwide includes them folks. You could say the Spider-Man movies have been more popular than the Batman movies in non-domestic markets and it might be a more accurate statement.

I wouldn't say Spider-Man is more popular worldwide either way though because it isn't. And I do expect TDKR to pass a billion when it releases. Unless Nolan manages to make the movie a disaster, that won't be a hard task to accomplish. The previous two Batman movies will be the biggest factors for that. Batman is the hottest superhero in the world at the moment.

Jarmel

Banned
JaseC said:
These people are likely the same that expected Inception to best or at least perform similarly to The Dark Knight domestically.

No they aren't. Inception of course wasn't going to do the same as Dark Knight as it isn't a Batman movie. Rises however should assuming the reviews are positive.

Kusagari said:

I also think Spider man going to do better world wide .
I not certain how much DKR going to make , want i do know is none of the girls i watch DK with going to watch 3.
Spider man will be huge thanks to 3D tax.

3N16MA

Banned
Only thing that could hold Spider-Man back a bit is new faces and a reboot of the franchise. TDKR has established stars and is the end of a trilogy. Both will be huge no matter what.

JaseC

Jarmel said:
No they aren't. Inception of course wasn't going to do the same as Dark Knight as it isn't a Batman movie. Rises however should assuming the reviews are positive.

I'll admit I was being quite over-reaching with the implication of my post, but I'd wager you could find a hundred posts by as many unique users here on GAF alone suggesting that Inception would pull in TDK numbers because "it's Nolan, man."

Jarmel

Banned
JaseC said:
I'll admit I was being quite over-reaching with the implication of my post, but I'd wager you could find a hundred posts here on GAF alone suggesting that Inception would pull in TDK numbers because "it's Nolan, man."

I think people were arguing that Inception was going to bomb and others were suggesting it wasn't because it's Nolan. Of course then there are the crazies but what are you going to do?

DMczaf

JaseC said:
I'll admit I was being quite over-reaching with the implication of my post, but I'd wager you could find a hundred posts here by as many unique users here on GAF alone suggesting that Inception would pull in TDK numbers because "it's Nolan, man."

...what? No one ever said that. I think you're confusing people excited for Inception with "People who think Inception will pull in TDK numbers".

...the flying fuck did people see in Alice? Nothing fucking happened in that piece of trash.

(Yeah I know some answers have already been given. I still don't get it.)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I feel ashamed in having helped with this new record.

ashamed and saddened.

actually alot of people expected Inception to do middling numbers akin to Nolan's Prestige, and then for him to go crawling back into WB's warm bossom for TDK3 with their blank cheques. Didn't it cross 800 million in the end? Half of that was probably Nolan hype alone

JaseC

DMczaf said:
...what? No one ever said that. I think you're confusing people excited for Inception with "People who think Inception will pull in TDK numbers".

I'm saying there's an overlap.

Verendus

Banned
JaseC said:
I'll admit I was being quite over-reaching with the implication of my post, but I'd wager you could find a hundred posts here by as many unique users here on GAF alone suggesting that Inception would pull in TDK numbers because "it's Nolan, man."
I don't believe this. It sounds crazy.

Edit:

Messypandas said:
actually alot of people expected Inception to do middling numbers akin to Nolan's Prestige, and then for him to go crawling back into WB's warm bossom for TDK3 with their blank cheques. Didn't it cross 800 million in the end? Half of that was probably Nolan hype alone
$825,532,764 apparently. Bloody hell. That's about $200 million more than I'd expected it to get. And I thought I was being a little risky with my estimate.

JaseC

Kam said:
I don't believe this. It sounds crazy.

Browse the first and middle 10 pages of the Inception OT and then try to say that with a straight face. :p

ymmv

Banned
Dan said:
As far as I'm concerned, that's what he's been doing for 15 years. Take an old property and his own 'style' to it and that's it. He's gotten so unoriginal he's even remaking his own stuff now.

Tim Burton is still making good movies. The only problem he's also making rubbish mainstream movies (listed below in bold text) where he's overusing his trademark style.

Alice in Wonderland (2010)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
Corpse Bride (2005)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
Big Fish (2003)
Planet of the Apes (2001)
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Mars Attacks! (1996)
Ed Wood (1994)

Every good movie is followed by a crappy one. The Corpse Bride breaks the pattern because it was an animated movie. I love Tim Burton when he's making movies like Sweeney Todd or Ed Wood. I loathe the man when he's making stuff like the Alice or Charlie movies.

JaseC

DMczaf said:
I'm looking, can't find any.

Perhaps you had a valid point, then. :) I certainly do recall the hype for Inception sending more than few people bonkers.

Jangocube

Banned
Might have been answered already and didn't see it, but how much is Depp getting for these pictures now? I would be asking for close to $50 million a film considering the brand is basically him.

DMczaf

JaseC said:
Perhaps you had a valid point, then. :) I certainly do recall the hype for Inception sending more than few people bonkers.

People were going bonkers, but no one wen't insane. I think most people predicted $60-70M as it's opening weekend ceiling if all things went well.

Well, only Solo with his Heaven's Gate hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom