• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides eighth film in history to $1 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
DMczaf said:
People were going bonkers, but no one wen't insane. I think most people predicted $60-70M as it's opening weekend ceiling if all things went well.

Well, only Solo with his Heaven's Gate hopes.

Haha, maybe that's where my memory is failing me. :p

KorrZ

Not really surprised, the Pirates franchise has always been huge and Johnny Depp brings in the $$$. Is this movie really that bad though? I enjoyed the original 3.

Koodo

Banned
No one should be surprised over Alice in Wonderland. My grandmother knows about Alice, my mother knows about Alice, I know about Alice, babies born two years ago know about Alice. Everyone knows about Alice. It's an IP that had also only appeared in theaters scant number of times, so the public was definitely willing to swallow anything Alice.

Add to this the fact that it was a blockbuster 3D movie hot on the heels of Avatar's success. This was when 3D mania was at an all-time consumer high and people were thirsty to put those glasses on their head. Alice probably would have suffered a lower gross if it had been released today, when people are starting to reject the technology.

Alice was indeed an incredibly shit movie though, so that's a shame.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
1 Avatar $2,782,275,172 2009
I literally have no idea how that happened, it's completely foreign to me. I really don't feel like I live in a world where that happened. The only place anybody talks about Avatar in any capacity that I know of is pretty much here.

DNF

06nbarnhill said:
Kung fu Panda made over 60 million in China. You can make money there if you try.

but only if they let you. i read that (i believe it was) Avatar was only allowed to be played in 3D-Cinemas.

Not because there are that technical advanced or want the viewers to have a good experience but instead there was a quite expensive chinese film coming out at the same time and they didn't want the foreign movie to overshadow their own film.

Edit: hmm seeing that avatar made 180 million there i'm probably confusing it with another film

Pachinko

Amir0x said:
yeah except for the 3D becoming mainstream part since 3D is bombing everywhere pretty much

Avatar is just schlocky special effects extravaganza with no regard for storytelling or writing. It's a shameful film that demonstrates that sometimes audiences really just want to be hypnotized with special effects, quality of the movie itself be damned.

Which really comes around to point with Pirates doing the same. Sometimes people just want schmaltzy special effects garbage :(

I can agree with everything you wrote here, I loved seeing avatar in theatres and millions worldwide did too but it had nothing to do with film quality it was entirely special effects. Nothing reveals this more accurately than the fact that I own it on bluray (barebones release) and never bothered to watch it a second time. The reason being obviously- it's probably dull as shit without the 3d to entertain my eyeballs.

Solo

AceBandage said:
The other 7.

1 Avatar $2,782,275,172 2009

2 Titanic $1,843,201,268 1997

3 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,119,110,941 2003

4 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,066,179,725 2006

5 Toy Story 3 $1,063,171,911 2010

6 Alice in Wonderland $1,024,299,801 2010

7 The Dark Knight $1,001,921,825 2008

unf unf unf Cameron

jakncoke

Banned
DNF said:
but only if they let you. i read that (i believe it was) Avatar was only allowed to be played in 3D-Cinemas.

Not because there are that technical advanced or want the viewers to have a good experience but instead there was a quite expensive chinese film coming out at the same time and they didn't want the foreign movie to overshadow their own film.

Edit: hmm seeing that avatar made 180 million there i'm probably confusing it with another film

Yep, i read that recently as well. They limit it to 20 films a year that aren't domestic

KingDizzi

Banned
Great news, loved and movie and Depp. Also Alice was a good movie, don't see why so many people on this forum found it horrible, simply shows the majority of people on this forum have shitty taste. The travesty is that the likes of Pirates 4 has not made more money.

Quality = Success, we all know for it to be the truth.

Angry Fork

Avatar - okay, amazing visuals. IMAX 3D was amazing. Went twice.
Titanic - Good, not great. Too much sappy bs and I hate Celine Dion. Lots of cool scenes though.
LOTR - Great
Pirates - okay
Toy Story 3 - Great, made me cry like a baby.
Alice - bad, nice art/visual stuff though
Dark Knight - great, a couple things were odd/forced but they were ignorable unlike Inception which was pretty annoying. IMAX was amazing as well with Dark Knight, went 3 times.

Haven't seen stranger tides yet. I remember liking the first Pirates movie but I actually only remember maybe 3 or 4 scenes from the entire trilogy.

Dead said:
Its pretty much impossible to make a full adjusted WW list unfortunately, but an Adjusted top 5 list for the past 30 years (80 - today) would probably be (in no order)

ET
Titanic
Jurassic Park
Empire Strikes Back

LOTR - Return of the King would most likely be close to the top 5 as well

How did Empire get above Star Wars?

Amir0x said:
But i mean, hey, it's the hipster in me that rejects the god-awful writing/story in Avatar because it's "popular". That's it!

When you say "bad story" I assume you mean unoriginal. The plot of Avatar was pretty well constructed and it's the type of adventure people usually enjoy.

KingDizzi said:
Great news, loved and movie and Depp. Also Alice was a good movie, don't see why so many people on this forum found it horrible, simply shows the majority of people on this forum have shitty taste. The travesty is that the likes of Pirates 4 has not made more money.

Qulsity = Success, we all know for it to be the truth.

Qulsity is the word I'd use.

Amir0x said:
yeah except for the 3D becoming mainstream part since 3D is bombing everywhere pretty much

Avatar is just schlocky special effects extravaganza with no regard for storytelling or writing. It's a shameful film that demonstrates that sometimes audiences really just want to be hypnotized with special effects, quality of the movie itself be damned.

Which really comes around to point with Pirates doing the same. Sometimes people just want schmaltzy special effects garbage :(

I just want more Jack Sparrow circa Pirates 1. Is that too much to ask for?

Solo

demosthenes said:
I just want more Jack Sparrow circa Pirates 1. Is that too much to ask for?

You will never get that again because the creative team on those films never knew what made Jack special in the first place. He was *perfect* in the first film as an offbeat, but cunning, supporting character. That all went out the window in 2, 3 and 4 when he became the goofy, wise cracking lead character.

Less is more.

ymmv said:
Tim Burton is still making good movies. The only problem he's also making rubbish mainstream movies (listed below in bold text) where he's overusing his trademark style.

Alice in Wonderland (2010)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
Corpse Bride (2005)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
Big Fish (2003)
Planet of the Apes (2001)
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Mars Attacks! (1996)
Ed Wood (1994)

Every good movie is followed by a crappy one. The Corpse Bride breaks the pattern because it was an animated movie. I love Tim Burton when he's making movies like Sweeney Todd or Ed Wood. I loathe the man when he's making stuff like the Alice or Charlie movies.

You best not be calling Mars Attacks! a crappy movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom