• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixeljunk 1-4 trailer

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Pristine_Condition said:
This is so exciting.

The release of a new Pixel Junk game is an event around here now. That's what happens when you make good games.
Its awesome to know that they make lots of moolah too. They're the best indie devs on consoles this gen.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ChackanKun said:
DNF?

And i really wish they showed up something of Dungeons. Just to see what's it going to be like!

He's talking about Duke Nukem Forever.

shagg_187 said:
Please have online multiplayer. Please have online multiplayer!!

I bet it won't, even though it should. Pixeljunk games never have online MP. :(

In PixelJunk 1-4, you control a little ship and you're tasked with saving a bunch of little dudes in each section of a level. When they're all either saved or dead, you progress to the next section. Your ship is controlled with the left analog stick, and though you can move anywhere you want, you need to account for inertia as your ship will drift a little when you let go of the stick.

You have two abilities at your disposal. R1 fires a missile cannon while R2 uses a grappling hook. This grappling hook it what you'll use to save the little guys scattered around the levels. You can control its direction with the right stick (which also controls your aim for the cannon), though it can only fire in a downward direction. Grab a dude with it and he'll automatically be retracted into your ship and saved. Once you've killed or saved everyone, a metal gate will open up and you can progress to the next section.

There are a few enemies that you'll find in each area, like a tank-esque thing that clings to walls and fires at you, plant-like creatures that fire other missile-esque enemy units your way, and enemies that resemble bats that come digging out of the cave walls. None of them are overly tough, at least in the four or five sections that we were able to play, but they can certainly distract you from your bigger challenge. You can also shoot some of the rock in each section, though most of the cave is indestructible.

While that setup sounds simple, and it is, the cool part about the game is that the caves are filled with pockets of water and lava, and these two elements are what set up the puzzle aspects of the game. Each respond to their environment with fluid dynamics, so if you drop something into the water or take out a piece of a wall that was holding back some of the lava, it'll flow out and drain into other parts of the level in a natural manner. Water that hits lava will cool it into destructible rock, and if lava hits one of the little dudes, they're melted into ash, and I don't think they survive that. They can, however, survive under water as they're wearing hazard suits.

We're told that water and lava are only two of the elements that you'll find in the game, though Sony and Q-Games are keeping mum on what the others might be for now.

PixelJunk 1-4 is simple, but what I've played is quite fun. If Q-Games can manage to create interesting environmental puzzles throughout the game, it could be something really cool and unique in the end.

pixeljunk-1-4-20090428013303776.jpg

pixeljunk-1-4-20090428013312666.jpg

pixeljunk-1-4-20090428013318994.jpg

pixeljunk-1-4-20090428013323978.jpg

pixeljunk-1-4-20090428013328587.jpg

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/143/14308962/imgs_1.html

Speevy

Banned
Am I the only one who's disappointed that they're using virtually the same art design in this game as Pixeljunk Eden?

This looks really cool. It might be the first PJ game I buy (I didn't like Eden, Monsters, or Racers).

I just hope any Sixaxis BS is optional, because from the trailer I really want to play this with normal controls.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
gofreak said:
The simplest and most appropriate suggestion based on what we know.

It also has a bit of that Atari era "obvious objective" naming convention to it.

deepbrown

Speevy said:
Am I the only one who's disappointed that they're using virtually the same art design in this game as Pixeljunk Eden?
Doesn't look the same to me. Looks just as similar as Eden is to Monsters. PixelJunk means 2D 1080p

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I submitted PixelJunk: Fluid Spelunk...

Anytime I can use spelunk in a sentence I will. I also like that it rhymes.

JoJo13

Banned
Okay, this concept sounds fucking awesome.

This looks to easily be the best game in the series so far, just judging by the gameplay.

Looks stellar. PixelJunk delivers yet again.

Hoping for a late summer release (August/September).

.GqueB.

Banned
gofreak said:
That looks sooo cool.

In the trailer though, I didn't see too much reason to solidify the magma? Asides from getting rid of magma that might overheat your craft?

Like, do survivors move? If so, does solidifying magma open up new routes for them to move across or ..? I'm not sure if I'm fully getting the point of that mechanic.
I think you hit the nail on the head. When you solidify it, its no longer a threat to your craft. That alone is reason enough to solidify it.

Its liquid hot mag-MA

I wonder if it would be possible to have a level editor for this game? actually i wonder if they plan to do ANY game with a level editor ;D

BTW. you can enter multiple times for the name contest.

Cerberus

Looks like so much fun. Love the look of the water and lava. The art direction in the Pixeljunk games is very charming.

Speevy

Banned
I really did submit Pixeljunk Vietnam, because although it's not a jungle you're rescuing people and firebombing the terrain. Maybe Pixeljunk Rescue Dawn.

This looks INCREDIBLE

I gave less than a crap about Racer and Monsters, but Eden was a fun little bit of experimental wackiness, and this looks a lot more game-y which is perfect for me. Because I like videogames.

I submitted the name Pixeljunk Hollow

Speevy said:

I would be, if that were true. But it's not true at all, so I'm not.

The art style here is actually way closer to Monsters (especially the title screens, ect.of Monsters) than it is to Eden in most ways. Eden's style was sort of a blend between overlay pattern printing (like in textiles) and the art of photograms. Very clean. This is actually a very cartoony look.

Actually, this game looks closer to Loco Roco Cocoreccho's art style than anything Pixel Junk has done before.

Maybe you just haven't seen it on a large enough screen yet, to see what's going on with the cartoony shading and coloring. When you do, the difference in styles is obvious.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The 2D particle work in this looks outstanding. Reminds me of that underground section of Another World where you release the water from the cave - except it looks much better of course, and uses real particle physics. Crazy good looking stuff.

TTP said:
Damn! Is it wrong being more excited abut this than Uncharted 2?
Yes! >:| Last two PJ games were great but not that great. Although this looks like their best.

Top Bottom