• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster Alpha |OT| underconstruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
planetcoastergaflogog4u6s.png

LAST LIVESTREAM BEFORE THE BETA (Livestream centering on the new rides and how they work)
t1478545200z0.png

banner01bxshc.png

Planet Coaster is the next generation of theme park simulation games. 12 years after RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, Frontier brings us the spiritual successor of that game. And its not a surprise, as Frontier was the studio that made RCT3 and its excellent expansions, and helped Chris Sawyer with the expansions of RCT2. And even with this 12 year gap, Frontier has amassed experience in the theme park game territory, working on games like Thrillville, Disneyland Kinect Adventures, Coaster Crazy and Screamride, helping shape some of Planet Coaster's development.
For more info about the game visit the forums Link or the Neogaf news thread Link

So why dont you join us build your dream park in the first alpha thats going to be released on the 22nd of March?

banner02bosk9.png

The alpha releases on the 22nd of March 2016.
You can get it on Frontier's website store.Link

Theres various packs for the game, some of them get you the alpha, and some others no. The ones that get you the alpha are:
-Planet Coaster - Early Bird Alpha Edition: This pack contains the full game when it releases, and the alpha included.
Price: €67.99 ; £49.99 ; $74.99
-Planet Coaster - Early Bird Alpha Upgrade: Only includes the Alpha (and future alphas) up to the games final release.
Price: €41.00 ; £30.00 ; $45.00 (NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY GET THIS IF YOU ALREADY PREORDERED THE GAME ALONE)
-Planet Coaster - Deluxe Edition: The ultimate pack, includes the final game release, the alpha, a T-Shirt and a Wristband, and private access to the Coaster Head Club froums, with first look updates each week, Meet the Team Q&A, Community Polls and Extended Dev Diaries.
Price: €94,99 ; £69.99 ; $105.99

Here is a chart of what each edition contains, there are more editions, but only the top 3 contains the alpha.
alphatable8wscc.png

banner03ghsxq.png

This is only the first of many alphas that are going to be rolled until the release of the game.
And even better, you keep the alpha forever, no weekend only tests, or shut down after the game releases.
The First Alpha Contains:
-Emphasis on path and structures building.
-A few flatrides to use, including Giant Eccentric Ferris Wheel, a twist drop tower, a Rocktopus, among others...
-You can use the ride cam on these rides.
-You can unlock the coaster builder, with one coaster model at the moment, with a cheat. To access coaster building, open a map and select the ‘Rides’, ‘Scenery’ or ‘Buildings’ tab, then select the ‘Search’ option (a magnifying glass) and enter the code ‘underconstruction’ (all one word) to enable the coaster construction tab. (yup, thats the same as the OT title).
-Guest walking around your parks and going in the rides.
-Some shops you can add with the scenery.
-Day and night time.
-Some prefabicated parks by Frontier's art team, including one with a giant iluminated tree done with the games terraforming.

banner04igs2c.png

CONFIRMED BY FRONTIER:
- Phase 1: Modular building and Paths
- Phase 2: Adds Coaster Building and Landscape editing
- Phase 3: Adds Community Functionality and Blueprints

They will also be adding more rides, coaster models and management options in each new alpha, and full management option during beta.

banner05z5s6t.png

What are the minimum specs required to play the Planet Coaster alpha?

From the horse's mouth
You will need the following minimum spec in order to play the alpha:
- Windows 7 64bit or newer
- Intel Core i5 -2300, AMD FX-4300 or better
- 8GB Ram
- Nvidia GTX 560 / ATI Radeon 7850 Graphics card with 2GB of Graphics Memory or better

It’s important to remember that this is an alpha and during that process there are both optimisations and new feature additions which can change minimum and recommended specs considerably. So these are likely to change over time.

We’ve had great feedback about how Planet Coaster is already looking, even in alpha. It will improve even further – we are developing a true leading edge AAA game, with high poly counts, sophisticated rendering, a deep simulation, many characters and incredible animations. The higher above the minimum spec your PC is, the more the game will be able to reward you with an improved experience.

So does this game only has a creative part, or does it have alos a management aspect to it?
Yes, the game has both creative and manafgement parts. In fact they've expanded the management aspect in deep ways, like making better scenery surrounding your rides have a positive outcome to your economy as guests will spend more money on your park. You can also overwork your staff if you are not careful, something that was missing in older RCT games.

Will the game have water rides and darkrides?

Absolutely! Water rides are coming with the game release. Just a few though. Expect the typical log flume, Shoot the Chutes and river rapids and not much more for the release, with more stuff coming in future updates. They are working with the water physics to create super realistic water rides, something that older RCT games always had problems with.
Simple dark rides are coming for the game release. If you have played RCT3, you know what type of darkrides we are talking about (vehicles going thorugh rails, with not really darkrooms, although you can build some nice scenery around them). They already said they are looking to include real darkrides (dark rooms, smoke and light effects...) in one of the big updates or expansions, as its something they want to get right and know its a lot of work.

What about UGC (User Generated Content)?, I know the "other" game is going to have it from the get a go.
Was just confirmed on the 21st of March that the game will INDEED include real UGC after release. They just want people to play with the large number of scenery and themes that are going to be inlcluded in the game first. Then the update for UGC will roll out and people will be able to export easily their 3D created models into the game using official tools that will make it easy for other people to download directly from the game.

Can I preorder the game on Steam or other platforms?
From the horse's mouth:
There will be no Steam version of the Alpha. The game will indeed arrive in the future to Steam, and everyone that got the game through Frontier's website will get a key to use for Steam.

Console versions are out, this is a PC game through and through (and you will probably need a beffy PC for bigger parks).

banner06ujs29.png

Frontier's official tutorial for the Alpha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c60qDADjX7s

Nice 13 minutes without voices, only gameplay. Great to see the amazing sound design the game has and a few tracks from the OST.
https://youtu.be/BNEkXdB41dU

Screens coming tomorrow.

Special thanks to ekim for coming with the nice and smast OT title.

banner07jgpmm.png

COMMING IN THE FUTURE

banner08keo9o.png

We invite everyone at GAF that has the alpha to post their creations, can be screens or videos, from their test parks.

Mik2121
image.php

SpacePirate Ridley
image.php

Cptkrush
image.php

ASTROID2
image.php

Sevenfold
image.php

Kabouter
image.php

Wrynnax
image.php

LuuKyK

Thanks for the thread. I cant buy the early bird edition but I will jump in as soon as the final version of the game is out. This is looking amazing. The true nextgen RCT.

Cptkrush

Great OT! I'll be playing the Alpha as soon as it comes up. I especially appreciate that the rollercoaster building is limited this alpha, as it gives me a reason to actually learn the building and scenery tools better. I always end up building my park around the coasters, when it should really be the other way around.

Merino

Thanks for making the OT.

Counting down the hours until tomorrow after months of hype. Really seems like Frontier is doing everything they can to make this the best RCT3 sequel humanly possible.

Thanks guys for your kind words :D

So you can buy an alpha version that does not include the actual released game? That seems confusing.

Thats probably why its more expensive than the alone game. Probably will have everything but the final touch details and polishing the final release will have, and updates and expansions will not work with it. But you will have nearly the whole game.

Do we have any exact hour when the alpha is supposed to drop? Where is Frontier located?
Probably 4-5pm GTM. Its the time theyve been posting the countdown videos.

Really cool, but I'm not interested so much in the creation stuff, because I trust it completely.

I can't enjoy this without knowing they have a solid management system ready to go. A lot of games just do it too simple, and I am hopeful there is a lot of challenge, depth, and complexity to it. As well, I hope mod support and future patches can add park scenarios, challenges, and difficulties. I loved playing a scenario in older RCT games where things were pre-built and where I needed to hit a specific goal in a certain timeframe.

Hearing about sceneries affecting guest happiness is really promising.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This game is going to be incredible! I'm not buying it until it's released, but I'm following it's progress anxiously, and what they've done so far looks outstanding. Looking forward to all of the alpha footage!

Tainted

Looks fantastic, however I wish there was a way to just buy access to the alpha(s) without having to buy the final version up front. They are charging more for access to the alphas than the final version by itself which seems a bit odd...I would have thought it would be the other way round.

Pachimari

I'm so in! But not for $75 at the moment, so I'll probably be in come this Summer. One of my most anticipated games for sure.

Yup, im not surprised if the majority find the alpha expensive. If it werebt for my love of frontier, the old rct, theme parks in general and the faboulous work they have been showing. I would probably have not buu it wither.
At the end I bought the deluxe edition, but in pieces. First i got the coaster head club membership and months after got the game woth the alpha.

Yeah, you really made an OT hat's fantastic

my chief beef with it is that there's no screenshots
Didnt want to prontscreen the videos because of the lose in quality. Tomorrow will try to post some with my copy.

Looks fantastic, however I wish there was a way to just buy access to the alpha(s) without having to buy the final version up front. They are charging more for access to the alphas than the final version by itself which seems a bit odd...I would have thought it would be the other way round.

As I said before, probably because by the end of the alpha releases you are getting nearly the full game but without polish nor future updates an expansions. And you can keep it even when the game is released.

Tainted

As I said before, probably because by the end of the alpha releases you are getting nearly the full game but without polish nor future updates an expansions. And you can keep it even when the game is released.

Yep, I realise this but why would you keep playing the alpha after the full game releases... seeing as though you can't buy access into the alpha without the preordering the full version ?

This would only be useful if you could purchase standalone alpha access...which is what I would be interested in, and you would also think it would be lower priced than the final retail version seeing as though the alphas won't get any updates etc after release.

Edited the OP with a few new interesting info:

banner04igs2c.png

CONFIRMED BY FRONTIER:
- Phase 1: Modular building and Paths
- Phase 2: Adds Coaster Building and Landscape editing
- Phase 3: Adds Community Functionality and Blueprints

They will also be adding more rides, coaster models and management options in each new alpha, and full management option during beta.

What are the minimum specs required to play the Planet Coaster alpha?

From the horse's mouth
You will need the following minimum spec in order to play the alpha:
- Windows 7 64bit or newer
- Intel Core i5 -2300, AMD FX-4300 or better
- 8GB Ram
- Nvidia GTX 560 / ATI Radeon 7850 Graphics card with 2GB of Graphics Memory or better

It’s important to remember that this is an alpha and during that process there are both optimisations and new feature additions which can change minimum and recommended specs considerably. So these are likely to change over time.

We’ve had great feedback about how Planet Coaster is already looking, even in alpha. It will improve even further – we are developing a true leading edge AAA game, with high poly counts, sophisticated rendering, a deep simulation, many characters and incredible animations. The higher above the minimum spec your PC is, the more the game will be able to reward you with an improved experience.

Can I preorder the game on Steam or other platforms?
From the horse's mouth:
There will be no Steam version of the Alpha. The game will indeed arrive in the future to Steam, and everyone that got the game through Frontier's website will get a key to use for Steam.

tbh, I was just looking for an excuse to work "Hat's Fantastic" and "Chief Beef" into my post
In reality I was goin, to write to you, but forgot, the I see what you did there with chief beef and hat's fantastic lol

Yep, I realise this but why would you keep playing the alpha after the full game releases... seeing as though you can't buy access into the alpha without the preordering the full version ?

This would only be useful if you could purchase standalone alpha access...which is what I would be interested in, and you would also think it would be lower priced than the final retail version seeing as though the alphas won't get any updates etc after release.

Yeah, seems that is an upgrade, thought you could get the alpha without the game. I know they changed the preorder items some time ago (there wasnt a deluxe version for example, not the "upgrades"). When I bought it im pretty sure you could get the alpha only.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Oof, quite a premium for alpha access there... 2.5x total price vs the base game. Guess that approach must have worked out well enough for them with Elite.

Looks great so far, but I'll hold out for the Steam release.

Tainted

Yeah, seems that is an upgrade, thought you could get the alpha without the game. I know they changed the preorder items some time ago (there wasnt a deluxe version for example, not the "upgrades"). When I bought it im pretty sure you could get the alpha only.

Oh I see...sorry then, didn't realise that was an option before, but it certainly doesn't appear to be anymore. From their site:

Note: the Early Bird Alpha Upgrade does not grant access to Planet Coaster or the Early Bird Alpha without a Planet Coaster pre-order.

May be worth updating the first post with that info, just so others don't get confused :)

As a theme park nut and massive RCT fan I want this so badly. Shame my potato of a laptop means it's pretty much a no-go for me. I might just rebuy RCT3 on Steam to scratch that itch...

And pray that Frontier follow their own suit for Elite: Dangerous and bring this to console, even through early access.

The Argus

God I wish I was playing this, but the stupid $80 entry fee kept me away. If it came with the standard pre-order it would be a different story.

This looks fun. RCT:W looks fun mainly because of the Workshop implementation. My growing 1000+ hours of RCT3 look like they be endangered soon.

Oh I see...sorry then, didn't realise that was an option before, but it certainly doesn't appear to be anymore. From their site:

May be worth updating the first post with that info, just so others don't get confused :)

You are right, will update right now, thanks for the heads up!

God I wish I was playing this, but the stupid $80 entry fee kept me away. If it came with the standard pre-order it would be a different story.

This looks fun. RCT:W looks fun mainly because of the Workshop implementation. My growing 1000+ hours of RCT3 look like they be endangered soon.

RCTW doesnt really look fun, and the only redeeming factor that they had (that sadly is being used more as a way for the community to finish the game isntead of them and release a barebones game) that is UGC, its already confirmed to be used also by Planet Coaster.
The biggest problem here is not only is going Atari to go down in the near future (that are really more of lamprey eel sucking dry the few franchises the have left, more than being a real publisher), it will probably harm nvizzio and they really dont desrve it becuase they are doing what they can to save and dead project from the start that already killed 2 other devs.

You are right that the planet coaster alpha is stupidly expensive though. But if you dont mind waiting, the final game is really cheap compared to other big games out there.

As a theme park nut and massive RCT fan I want this so badly. Shame my potato of a laptop means it's pretty much a no-go for me. I might just rebuy RCT3 on Steam to scratch that itch...

And pray that Frontier follow their own suit for Elite: Dangerous and bring this to console, even through early access.

They already said there were no console versions planned.
They also said this game will be alive with updates many years after release, building alwys in top of it. Maybe with beefier consoles in the future they can do a version for them, but I wouldnt hold your horses for that happening.

They already said there were no console versions planned.
They also said this game will be alive with updates many years after release, building alwys in top of it. Maybe with beefier consoles in the future they can do a version for them, but I wouldnt hold your horses for that happening.

Figured that was the case. Oh well, will hopefully be in a better position to get a decent gaming PC in the not to distant future and will jump in immediately.

Mik2121

I would assume the reason is that if the price is cheaper, a lot of people will jump into the Alpha, see it's incomplete and then trash it and leave if they don't like it. By making it a more premium experience, they probably make sure that only the fans and people invested in park management games will purchase it, having a higher chance of getting feedback. Also being more expensive, more people usually want to make sure what they're getting into, in that way getting rid of most of the people that trash early access games thinking it's the complete experience (some people do!).

That's my guess, anyway.

I would assume the reason is that if the price is cheaper, a lot of people will jump into the Alpha, see it's incomplete and then trash it and leave if they don't like it. By making it a more premium experience, they probably make sure that only the fans and people invested in park management games will purchase it, having a higher chance of getting feedback. Also being more expensive, more people usually want to make sure what they're getting into, in that way getting rid of most of the people that trash early access games thinking it's the complete experience (some people do!).

That's my guess, anyway.

Mmm didnt really think about that, but it very well could be the case. And it doesnt surpise me, the official forums have a lot of people, even after clear official information has gone out, asking why isnt there every aspect in the game thats not the alpha, or thinking the word alpha means the same as beta, among other stupid things. Most of them are probably young kids or people that are totally oblivious of how game development works (and proper human understanding for starters).

Burny

Caved and got alpha access. It's been more then a decade since we last sat around a computer at a friend's house and build death traps in the first RCT.

It won't be in this alpha, but the terra forming features look pretty robust. In one of the recently released videos, they show parks that have had large structures modeled using the terraforming. There was one giant monster and one giant tree. Who'll be the first to build Minas Tirith? ^^

This is looking fucking great. But man, that alpha access cost. Frontier needs to stop with this.
I'd rather see much more developers adopt the model if it means they can transition to self publishers and build the games they want to build rather than dance to the publisher's tune. And paying extra for alpha access isn't much of an issue when the released game can be preordered for 20 pounds. Nobody is obliged to play the alpha.

Gowans

This is looking fucking great. But man, that alpha access cost. Frontier needs to stop with this.

Yeah, dying for a theme park fix but for £50 I'll wait till release and work on Prison Architect.

Looks ace tho, shame they didn't do this for Zoo Tycoon.

spiritfox

Yeah, dying for a theme park fix but for £50 I'll wait till release and work on Prison Architect.

Looks ace tho, shame they didn't do this for Zoo Tycoon.

I would love a new Zoo Tycoon. Someone please give it the Cities Skylines/Planet Coaster treatment.

Mik2121

So... 9:30 in London! I assume they either have started working or will start soon. Wonder if they'll upload this during the morning there or the evening? Assuming they might want to be up there for any issue that might pop up, I'd like to think they would open the alpha access sometime soon...

Haha, this is pretty bad. I need to play this!

Mikeside

So... 9:30 in London! I assume they either have started working or will start soon. Wonder if they'll upload this during the morning there or the evening? Assuming they might want to be up there for any issue that might pop up, I'd like to think they would open the alpha access sometime soon...

Haha, this is pretty bad. I need to play this!

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/1707-Planet-Coaster-Alpha-Release-Time

I'm happy to say we're aiming to have the game available for you to download between 10am and 11am GMT today.

FiraB

Banned

That's my guess, anyway.
Nah frontier are price heavy, nothing to do with feedback.

Elite was expensive at release and so was the expansion, same thing here.

Mik2121

Uhm well, it still doesn't mean that they're doing this for such purposes? I also got Elite for $150 back then and I remember quite some people suggesting the same. It kind of makes sense.

PaulLFC

I don't know - I paid £20 for the game at release which if it lives up to the hype will be an absolute bargain.

Mikeside

I'm downloading it now!

edit: I really hope my laptop can run this. I'm at work and hoping to have a little play before I go home and install it on my gaming desktop

roytheone

Question about this game: Is this game more like most city builders where you just get a piece of land and can build a city on it, or more like the old RCT games where you had scenarios with goals to complete?

That's shit, I must be lucky.

I hear people have been having issues with no mouse-click in the game menu too. I really hope that doesn't happen to me.

Did you installed the game in the applocale folder they give you, or in another?

Question about this game: Is this game more like most city builders where you just get a piece of land and can build a city on it, or more like the old RCT games where you had scenarios with goals to complete?

Scenarios and sandbox will be included in the final release.

roytheone

Did you installed the game in the applocale folder they give you, or in another?

Scenarios and sandbox will be included in the final release.

Great, thanks! I play RCT by starting a scenario, build a park until I complete my goal, and then just abandon that park and start a new scenario. I don't really like spending a lot of time building one big park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom