• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster Alpha |OT| underconstruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
So anyone found how to build diagonal walls after you placed the first wall and the grid is is done?

Also, is there something Im missing to build paths one aligened to the other without touching? it alway autosnaps when i come relatively near one, but some parks ive seen have done it, including the entrance of the sandbox park.
EDIT Ok, its space to cancel the snapping lol.
EDIT 2. And that was not what I was looking for. There has to be a way for paths not autosnapping when are near each other.

I have to be honest, I think you're putting too much stock in them being a "European" studio.

This applies to most UK developers rather than just Frontier, but us Brits don't really consider other EU countries as a priority when in alpha when we make games. Generally, other languages are an afterthought and put off being sorted and tested properly until the project is further along - probably around the beta phase or so.

It differs from studio to studio and depends what kind of workflow that may be in place from previous projects or the kind of resources available to each (and tbf, it's a big oversight for a public beta), but you probably shouldn't expect the level of consideration for non-English languages from UK devs that you currently have... I mean, our unwillingness to learn anything other than English is already pretty well-known throughout the continent!

I'm not saying it's right, but that's the situation.

Its more of a problem of them saying there were no future plans of localisation (there are for example, for france and germany) than it being an oversight bug in an alpha, to be frank. The bug being a localisation issue just added a little fuel to that fire.
Not really mad now, and i can play it fixing the windows language thing, but a little sad, that even knowing english, the game is not going to be released in my language.

Anyone here having the problem with the sttutering opening video when Coaster King breaks the Frontier logo?

Its not very severe, and the rest of the game runs butterly smooth *between 50 and 60fps, even on big already made parks, with the game on high and 1080p.
I suppose its a video, so its quite strange.

Cptkrush

Spent entirely too much time this morning building cool shit! I worked a little bit on getting used the the controls and snapping, and all that jazz in a little test park, and now I'm getting down to business.

This is what I have so far:
http://imgur.com/a/8ehry
Thanks to Mik2121 for the upstairs behind the building shops idea. I wanted a way to make my buildings more useful, and that was the ticket.

The building tools in this game are incredible, and this is the first time I've actually tried my hand at building custom buildings and scenery with the in game stuff. I love that pretty much nothing has collision, so I can make it look however I want.

Zackat

I can't afford the alpha version of the game right now but I am in once it releases. I was a RCT fiend when I was a kid. Watching some streams on twitch and it looks great.

e90Mark

Waiting for Steam, but damn, you're guys' screenshots are awesome. Appreciate the media, the game looks great.

Can't wait for this to hit retail. My pre-order for RCTW makes me cry.

Im going to say one thing. The sound design of this game is one of the best Ive ever seen. Is incredibly realistic, it justs sounds like a real park. Everything, from guest talking like sims but clearly in different "languages", to the coaster zooming on tracks, to how near you are to a prop with music, to the sound of machinery on the flat rides.
And the music is amazingly great, much better than RCT3 (and the only great one form 1 and 2 was the carrousel one).

Spent entirely too much time this morning building cool shit! I worked a little bit on getting used the the controls and snapping, and all that jazz in a little test park, and now I'm getting down to business.

This is what I have so far:
http://imgur.com/a/8ehry
Thanks to Mik2121 for the upstairs behind the building shops idea. I wanted a way to make my buildings more useful, and that was the ticket.

The building tools in this game are incredible, and this is the first time I've actually tried my hand at building custom buildings and scenery with the in game stuff. I love that pretty much nothing has collision, so I can make it look however I want.

The game is indeed amazing. The only big problem I really have with it right now is the path auto snapping, not to diagonals, but to near paths (its super tricky to do multiple paths working one besides the other). And also that i feel 10 width for paths at max is too low. Pretty much impossible to make realistic building floors or plazas also.

The building tools though, are a thing of genius and magic. And the graphics are incredible.

Cptkrush

Im going to say one thing. The sound design of this game is one of the best Ive ever seen. Is incredibly realistic, it justs sounds like a real park. Everything, from guest talking like sims but clearly in different "languages", to the coaster zooming on tracks, to how near you are to a prop with music, to the sound of machinery on the flat rides.
And the music is amazingly great, much better than RCT3 (and the only great one form 1 and 2 was the carrousel one).

The game is indeed amazing. The only big problem I really have with it right now is the path auto snapping, not to diagonals, but to near paths (its super tricky to do multiple paths working one besides the other). And also that i feel 10 width for paths at max is too low. Pretty much impossible to make realistic building floors or plazas also.

The building tools though, are a thing of genius and magic. And the graphics are incredible.
Yeah the path building needs work, I'd really like them to ditch this "path needs to snap to the entrance in order for this ride/shop to function" because it makes free-form queues and shops look pretty unrealistic if you don't have everything lined up with their grid. I'd like to be able to build large sections that act as paths for inside buildings and for vertical paths to connect with. I would so much like to have a boardwalk behind my buildings instead of an awkward path that only connects to shops.

Burny

How do you take screenshots? Is there any key integrated into the game?

(Watching the visitors on a freefall tower at dusk in front of a 50 meter high stone golem taking up much of the park's space is a sight to behold. ;) It's in the "Golem's grassland" example park.)

Wrynnax

Anyone here having the problem with the sttutering opening video when Coaster King breaks the Frontier logo?

Its not very severe, and the rest of the game runs butterly smooth *between 50 and 60fps, even on big already made parks, with the game on high and 1080p.
I suppose its a video, so its quite strange.
Yeah, same here. I caved and bought it btw:) making the beginnings of an Avatar land with floating rocks and it looks awesome!

GeoGonzo

Happy to hear the game sounds great even this early, but it shouldn't surprise us since Elite has amazing sound design too. It seems like Frontier takes audio very seriously.

epmode

Happy to hear the game sounds great even this early, but it shouldn't surprise us since Elite has amazing sound design too.

Elite's sound design is a goddamned revelation. Those engines! The ambient space station chatter! That lovely electric crackle as you pass through a station's entryway!

I only hope that CIG puts in the work for Star Citizen since I haven't been nearly as impressed with their early alphas.

I bought this, by the way. That stupid 10% off code for Elite backers pushed me over the edge. I already love the first person mode (even though it's too fiddly when the customer is walking around the park).

My biggest problem with the game is the path system right now, put this on the feedback forums, the problem is, its probably lost between the people who are asking for the impossible in that thread, and the the title doesnt help either "The path system is a mess". And people saying the want the city skylines system instead of this, when is exactly the same foundation but with even less freedom, are bonkers.

Tried to recreate disneyland's main street paths, and I have to say, this doesn't cut it Frontier.

Me needing to do tricks and juggles to recrate the most famous theme park in the world with your path system, and because of doing this, is not even really playable (guests will never go from the black part to the red one so it already fails) and it doesnt really play nice joining the parts, its a total failure for the advance designs in the path system.
It reminds me to the old ways of recreating big pathways in RCT1 and doing tricks to try to do real things, becuase the AI was too stupid to work in a more than 2 tile path.

planetcoaster2016-03-48syz.png

You can do some super nice things with it (it has MUCH more freedom than any game that tried somethign similar, including City Skylines, that was worse than this most of the times), so im not one of those guys who is asking to start from scratch, because thats to complicated and I think it has a nice foundation. But the problem is mainly that you cant really mix paths to recreate any type of pattern, and the highest width is still too narrow so you cant do plazas or open spaces, nor the inside floor of buildings.
Also using the Control key needs to let me start a path super near of any other path surrounding the zone, becuase just now, to do what I did, you need to start building a path super far away, get near where you wanted to start the real path, and then erase the other thing you dont need, and thats cumbersome and not easy.
Add those to the system is already in place and you will have a perfect system.

The rest of the alpha is absolute perfection. I cant be more impressed.

My biggest problem with the game is the path system right now, put this on the feedback forums, the problem is, its probably lost between the people who are asking for the impossible in that thread, and the the title doesnt help either "The path system is a mess". And people saying the want the city skylines system instead of this, when is exactly the same foundation but with even less freedom, are bonkers.

Wait so you can't join multiple designs of paths? That's weird, I'm pretty sure that was even possible in RCT3

BTW love the guest AI in this game, as it works even without the management aspects, is a robust foundation.

The family and groups are back, and that was the downfall for RCT3 (it was too advanced for it own good) so im reallyb thankful they already knew this (of course they new, it was the main complain of RCT3) and have fixed once for all (it was super hard to fix in RCT3, as ithe foundation was bad from the start, so that is why it only got some patches that didnt quite resolve the problem).

So know guests in Planet Coaster ALWAYS stay with their groups. Simple solution to a hard problem, I know, but if it works, it works.
They want food or some merchandise? they all go to the store, wait in line, the leader asks for the items, and all the group gets them (even if the item changes, like one of the group getting an ice cream, and the other a milkshake, or two different kind of hats). They also go all into the ride, and sometimes seats go empty because the group next in the line couldnt fit in.

Peeps in RCT3, even in groups, never followed a leader. The groups most of the time had first to fill their needs, as individuals, before getting in rides. Maybe some of the group were hungry, maybe others were peeing themselves. Maybe somebody dint want to ride so half of the group was separated. And seats in rides were always filled, even if that meant separating the groups.
Yes, its more realistic, but did that make it for a better game? No.

All of this created the famous empty queues RCT3 was known for.
The basic solution? It seems the whole group shares the same needs and wants. Super simple, more unrealistic, but makes for a much better game and probably better management aspect.
They can aslo make the funny groups scenes they have been showing in some videos., giving the groups more variety.

Soo... it's good? nice.

More than good.

Wait so you can't join multiple designs of paths? That's weird, I'm pretty sure that was even possible in RCT3

The path system has completly changed. now it works with nodes so simple paths can be curves and look more realistic. The problem is you take the freedom of building plazas or large sections of paths, and cant be mixed (you can join them, but the act like crossroads).
Im afraid that the guests pathing system is working with the nodes, so maybe is too hard to make imporvements to it. Thats the fear I have.

Right now is the only part im not liking of the game.

Merino

the problem is, its probably lost between the people who are asking for the impossible in that thread, and the the title doesn't help either "The path system is a mess".
Ha that's my title :)

I don't think you should worry too much, it wrote that mostly to grab the attention of the designers that it really does need a bit more work. I'm quite sure they are smart enough the separate the useful feedback from that which is not.

Anyway I'm enjoying the alpha and I'm sure it'll get better if we give enough coherent feedback

EiNeCEi.jpg

Ha that's my title :)

I don't think you should worry too much, it wrote that mostly to grab the attention of the designers that it really does need a bit more work. I'm quite sure they are smart enough the separate the useful feedback from that which is not.

Anyway I'm enjoying the alpha and I'm sure it'll get better if we give enough coherent feedback

EiNeCEi.jpg

Hey Merino! hahaha.
I really hope so they can separate the useful feedback as you said. Makes sense the catching their attention though. It seems to have worked, its the thread in the alpha feedback with more pages. Hope that makes Frontier look up it first.

Glad to have other planet coaster forum people here.

Akoi

This game looks amazing, I can't wait till it comes out! This looks way better than that other title coming out.

Time sure flies when you are having a good time!

The building tools are MASSIVE guys! With some tricks here and there you can make whatever you want, even with the small amount of scenery in the alpha. And you cant even change color of the pieces yet!

Tried recreating the Iberia Mediterrenean part from Terra Mitica, as some of the pirate pieces in the alpha work very well. And no water of course lol
Funny thing, the building system can get complex if you want to do advanced things, for example, it seems like theres only 3 buildings there, but in reality the game counts it as 35 different buildings. You need to twist and play with the system to get those results (buildings with different heights and different angles).
Still not finished, but its 3am here so better go to sleep.

planetcoaster2016-03-qwpze.png

terra-mitica.jpg

Cptkrush

Yes this is exactly my problem right now!! Man I hope they read that, just to be sure I'll throw up my support for it over there. Also your Buildings look fantastic man, interesting to read how many it takes to create something like that, it really should only be three by the time they have everything fleshed out, hopefully lol.

Jedi2016

It looks great, and seems to have some pretty good stuff (I'm loving the ride cams, that's all I really wanted to begin with.. lol), but I'm having a devil of a time with performance.. only getting about 20-25fps in one of the pre-made parks, and barely breaking 30 even on one of the blank sandboxes. i7-2600K and a GTX-680, should be doing at least a bit better than that. I did post a thread on the Alpha forums, we'll see what happens. I'd like it to at least be smooth before I really start to build things, and even G-sync doesn't work under 30fps, it's jerky as hell.

Mik2121

It looks great, and seems to have some pretty good stuff (I'm loving the ride cams, that's all I really wanted to begin with.. lol), but I'm having a devil of a time with performance.. only getting about 20-25fps in one of the pre-made parks, and barely breaking 30 even on one of the blank sandboxes. i7-2600K and a GTX-680, should be doing at least a bit better than that. I did post a thread on the Alpha forums, we'll see what happens. I'd like it to at least be smooth before I really start to build things, and even G-sync doesn't work under 30fps, it's jerky as hell.
Uhm, weird. I have a GTX680 as well with only 16GB of memory. Can't remember if I had an i7 or what exactly as I got the PC a few years ago and I get all the info mixed with my PC at work and all that. Anyway, for me at home it seemed to run at a fairly steady 60fps except during the first few seconds after loading where it would still be streaming the assets and the framerate would be all jerky.

Jedi2016

Yeah, there's got to be something quirky going on.. some setting or something else I've got running that's interfering. I'll fiddle with it some more tomorrow, it's getting late.

Alpha gonna alpha.. lol.

Waikis

Time sure flies when you are having a good time!

The building tools are MASSIVE guys! With some tricks here and there you can make whatever you want, even with the small amount of scenery in the alpha. And you cant even change color of the pieces yet!

Tried recreating the Iberia Mediterrenean part from Terra Mitica, as some of the pirate pieces in the alpha work very well. And no water of course lol
Funny thing, the building system can get complex if you want to do advanced things, for example, it seems like theres only 3 buildings there, but in reality the game counts it as 35 different buildings. You need to twist and play with the system to get those results (buildings with different heights and different angles).
Still not finished, but its 3am here so better go to sleep.

Other than sceneries, are there any other reasons to make these custom buildings?

Wrynnax

Other than sceneries, are there any other reasons to make these custom buildings?
Because you can! I spent like half an hour last night making a huge floating rock decoration and lighting it up from below:)today, more Avatar decoration incoming!

Sevenfold

Well I'm hooked.

Runs fantastic at 4K too but I can't screenshot it for some reason and there's still plenty of aliasing at 4k, so needs something forcing, but coasters to build.
Surprisingly fleshed out for what I thought it was going to be. Guests still use all the facilities and display the animations to need the loo etc...
Just starting to get used to the building tools and throwing a bit of everything at a park.
Not had a single crash so far. Very smooth 95% of the time.
Amazing job and though I had my concerns, I'm happy to support the game.

Mikeside

I had a fair few crashes last night, but I'm really happy with the state of the game so far.

I can see why they locked coasters away, it definitely needs some work, but already fun to make.

I'll get some screenshots of my park tonight, but I have a massive traffic problem by my main parade of shops that just won't seem to go away

Sevenfold

Yep, when I use the Windows screenshot function. Haven't found out if there is a build in screenshot function (e.g. F10 in Elite).

Not having any trouble with print screen and paint in borderless mode.

(Not found a built in shortcut)

red731

Anyone else just getting black screenshots?

Just droppin by - try and disable everything that may put overlay of some sort on the screen - fps, temperatures and so on.

So try and disable what you have, be it RadeonPro, MSIAfterburner(RivaTuner), Steam overlay and so on.

For screenshots in fullscreen the devs said it was Alt+printscreen
Ive been using Fraps, so I dont know if that works well though.

BTW I will advise people to use http://abload.de/ Instead of Imgur. Imgur destroys the quality of your screens, and having now way to get rif of the jaggies right now, makes it even worse.

Basically to create more realistic theme parks.
But it also ties to the guests, more scenery near them, makes them happier, and that makes them buy more things and stay more time at the park.

delaneya

I might get this even though before I said was worried about getting burned out before release. My childhood was in theme park so can’t wait.

Might be asking too much for an alpha but it look to be then a proof of concept. So does anyone know how many rides there are/going to be and is there some kind of research tree?

Wrynnax

I really love the lighting in this game. Placing spotlights at the side of buildings or to higlight some decorations really makes them shine!

Burny

For screenshots in fullscreen the devs said it was Alt+printscreen
Thanks a lot! Will try at home.

BTW I will advise people to use http://abload.de/ Instead of Imgur. Imgur destroys the quality of your screens, and having now way to get rif of the jaggies right now, makes it even worse.
Glorious, compressed jaggies! Has anybody a PC that's up for it and tried to super sample this? The game imo has a similar issue with jaggies as for example Star Citizen. Many delicate, but highlighted details will result in shapes little more than 2-3 pixels wide viewed from a medium distance. I prefer jaggies over lower framerates any day, but with games becoming so detailed, I think the aliasing is becoming very obvious without AA solutions.

Basically to create more realistic theme parks.
But it also ties to the guests, more scenery near them, makes them happier, and that makes them buy more things and stay more time at the park.
I really hope that they don't go the way of Elite's weapon/module effect: hide/obfuscate all the effects behind bars that can hardly be compared. I suspect feedback will be extremely important for this game. Now that parks and guests are becoming so realistic and much less abstracted than before, I hope they include some "x-ray" view or similar, that reduces all the beatiful visual park noise to make the actual management parameters more visible. Including whether people like a ride - even decoration or not and why that is.

Cptkrush

I really wish you had more 'generic' theme items.

Yeah, I've about squeezed everything I can out of the pirate theme before they implement teraforming. I think I might put this down until the next theme/feature update. The pirate theme is so great, and hopefully incomplete because I could use some more animatronics. If the rest of the themes are as detailed, I think this could be the best theme park game for sandbox at least.

That's not to say I won't mess around with paths and buildings more, but I won't be working on a park. I still want to provide some feedback for future updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom