• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster Alpha |OT| underconstruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrynnax

Ran into a little issue when building coasters. If you notice you want to change something at the beginning and delete the station to start over, you can't demolish the rest of your coaster. So now I've got a half finished coaster just standing there...Guess it's decoration now :)
Edit: Here's a little work in progress of my pirate park main square:

0fT7DRh.jpg

A-V-B

Does anyone know the answer to my question in the previous page?

Are there still individual guests who explore the park on their own, who like certain kinds of rides, etc, who don't need to be part of a group?

Cptkrush

Are there still individual guests who explore the park on their own, who like certain kinds of rides, etc, who don't need to be part of a group?

It's too early to say, they haven't really implemented any ai or profiles for the guests, so anything we are seeing now is probably not anywhere near final. That being said, I have not looked for single guests specifically, and I will pay attention today while I'm playing.

Caught this dark ride on the feedback forums, super impressive what people are able to do with such a limited toolset:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQVz2nMkhM

StayDead

Im really looking forward to playing this but I cant afford time wise to jump in. Saying that I guess ill jump in at some point. Wheres the cheapest place to get it?

Sorry im on a trip so i couldnt respond, on mobile right now, but yes, there are individual guests with no groups assigned. The only thing that changes right now from groups to infividuals is that groups are more than one guest with a leader so they act basically like one person.
We still cant see their hunger, fun... bars or ride preference though.

Also right now groups always stay together but I find it alot more realistic if a group with different interests (low intensity / high intensity) splits up to go on different rides. It would be even more awesome if the game rewards you for dropping a calmer ride near a huge rollercoaster as it allows a group to split up and join up more easily in the same area. Just so many questions and no real answers yet how sofisticated the system is going to end up being.

This sadly clearly doesnt work. What your are asking for is exactly the system that broke the management of RCT3. Its not that it didnt work, it did, and that was exactly the problem with it. People who play rct games since 1 for the tycoon and not the cretive aspect want to be rewarded with long lines and high profits for their well design park from a management standpoint. The group of individuals broke that typd of gameplay and thats why hard fans of 1 and 2 hate the guts of the game.
I just played a few hours ago in my small cousin's house RCT3 (i let him have my gog copy) and you can see the groups separating themeselves with the famous activity log of "waiting group" and "meeting with group" that was the what peeps did most of the time instead of doing what people want them to do, waste thekr time and money in the park, not waiting 3 minutes for the group to gather just to then one decinding to go to the toilet, breaking the group again, wait, and the other now deciding they wanted food, rinse and repeat. And that is adding that this was after the patches that made them more "stupid" and make them less dependable of their need bars. The game in vanilla was really unfun if you wanted to play in the tycoon way.

The groups adavanced AI didnt fail because of bugs, or because it was too adavnced for the time and worked badly, it failed because it was designed to be realistic, and at the end of the day this is a game and gameplay is more important than realism. Its like those people at the forums asking for the park to have closing times, if you stop and think a little as a game designer, you know its a bad idea from a gameplay standpoint.
Thankfully frontier understanded why that failed, and they resolved with a simple but IMO efective way to still have great management in the future, and still look from a visual standpoint like families and groups of friends inside a park. What you lose in realism, yo win in gameplay and thats better in the long term.

Unicorn

I watched a few videos of people's builds and this appears to have the groundwork for exactly what I've wanted in terms of blending decorations with rides to create unique ride experiences like you can find in real world parks. This is so exciting and meets my expectations of what I've always wanted from a theme park game.

Future workshop support means a limitless supply of building blocks for creating new experiences.

I remember a previous video from the devs showing animatronic editing. Is that still planned or did I misinterpret a designing model in MAYA or something? Rigging animatronics would be some next level shit.

Kabouter

http://imgur.com/a/8p8Ow

Park I've been working on atm. Not sure what else to build really though, there's plenty of rides remaining and I haven't built coasters in it yet, but in terms of theming I feel like I've done most stuff already given how limited the available theming materials are.

Edit: Added coaster, link changed.

Added screens of people uploading them here to the OP, if I forgot to add someone, or a screen you really wanted to showcase, just tell me and will add it.

I watched a few videos of people's builds and this appears to have the groundwork for exactly what I've wanted in terms of blending decorations with rides to create unique ride experiences like you can find in real world parks. This is so exciting and meets my expectations of what I've always wanted from a theme park game.

Future workshop support means a limitless supply of building blocks for creating new experiences.

I remember a previous video from the devs showing animatronic editing. Is that still planned or did I misinterpret a designing model in MAYA or something? Rigging animatronics would be some next level shit.

Its not going to use workshop for UGC though. Its going to use their own system inside the game without having to go through steam, so people who dont use steam version can use it too, and more importantly, that when you want to visit another user's park, the game is going to do something to show the downloadable content, but without having to download it directly (RCT2 did a similar thing when you used a scenario made by someone who had custom content in it, the save had already the custom content installed).

How's the alpha? It looks cool, just wish it wasn't so expensive.
Super amazing for an alpha, but still and alpha.

http://imgur.com/a/8p8Ow

Park I've been working on atm. Not sure what else to build really though, there's plenty of rides remaining and I haven't built coasters in it yet, but in terms of theming I feel like I've done most stuff already given how limited the available theming materials are.

Edit: Added coaster, link changed.

Maybe this two threads will help to spark some of your imagination, I usually visit them to see the amazing ideas some people have thinking outside the box, and helps me create better parks with the tools we have at the moment.
https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/1830-Share-your-first-Building/page5
https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/1819-Planet-Coaster-VIP-screenshot-competition/page16

Also even if imgur has the group link for screens that comes handy, it lowers the quality of your screenshots creating artifacts.
I usually use http://abload.de/ for uploading screens.

Cptkrush

Man, I just got back from Disney World, and Frontier needs to send a few artists and gameplay designers over here. Magic Kingdom is a masterpiece, and pictures don't do it justice. I'd love to see what kind of ideas and perspective they would get out of inspecting every nook and cranny of that place. I think they would honestly be blown away at how Disney handles a lot of their themeing. It seems like a lot of their ideas about building a theme park are from Alton Towers since it is readily accessible to them. While I've never been(I've never left the U.S. tbh), I have looked a pictures, and it seems not so great in terms of themeing and layout.

Gonna post this in the suggestions and ideas forum over there come to think of it.

Man, I just got back from Disney World, and Frontier needs to send a few artists and gameplay designers over here. Magic Kingdom is a masterpiece, and pictures don't do it justice. I'd love to see what kind of ideas and perspective they would get out of inspecting every nook and cranny of that place. I think they would honestly be blown away at how Disney handles a lot of their themeing. It seems like a lot of their ideas about building a theme park are from Alton Towers since it is readily accessible to them. While I've never been(I've never left the U.S. tbh), I have looked a pictures, and it seems not so great in terms of themeing and layout.

Gonna post this in the suggestions and ideas forum over there come to think of it.

They did. John Laws have talked about it in some of the AMA's, and some concept art they showed has referencing photos of Disneyland.
Roller Coaster Tycoon games and Planet Coaster have always been impregnated of this Alton Towers sentiment from the start, but you can see in this one they are going into much more detail to be as international as possible.

The Fairytale theming they put on the Coaster Head Club forums this weekend is amazingly disneyland in its Fantasyland part. The pirate theming were are getting is totally Adventureland from Disneyland Paris. They have also, for the first time, untied generic from the Alton Towers Main street type of theming, into a more modern type of theming, as they want to add Disneyland's Main Street as a diffferent 1920's theming tab (instead of the typical Vainilla Alton Towers type the games always had).

They are doing their good research, thats for sure.

Cptkrush

They did. John Laws have talked about it in some of the AMA's, and some concept art they showed has referencing photos of Disneyland.
Roller Coaster Tycoon games and Planet Coaster have always been impregnated of this Alton Towers sentiment from the start, but you can see in this one they are going into much more detail to be as international as possible.

The Fairytale theming they put on the Coaster Head Club forums this weekend is amazingly disneyland in its Fantasyland part. The pirate theming were are getting is totally Adventureland from Disneyland Paris. They have also, for the first time, untied generic from the Alton Towers Main street type of theming, into a more modern type of theming, as they want to add Disneyland's Main Street as a diffferent 1920's theming tab (instead of the typical Vainilla Alton Towers type the games always had).

Wow this is all great to hear! I knew their pirate theme was straight out of Adventureland, but I wasn't aware they actually sent artists. I'm very impressed. Did not realize Coaster Head Club was a thing, and have promptly signed up for it.

Wow this is all great to hear! I knew their pirate theme was straight out of Adventureland, but I wasn't aware they actually sent artists. I'm very impressed.

Yup, same as the sound designing team being sent to record real coaster sounds of various B&Ms, Vekomas, Intamins... and flatrides.
Thats why the sound design, even in the alpha, is so realistic. If you try to play the older games now, like I did this weekend at my cousin's house, the majority sounds like vaccuum cleaners lol.

Pachimari

I only have two questions, is there no water in the alpha yet? And water rides? And are we able to name our rides with our own names?

This is super exciting, especially the 1920s theming

Finally built my first coaster, It was a little bit bad in some sections, but im starting to get accustumed to the editor.
Im really waiting for the possibility to make smaller and bigger special tracks like loops (its already been confirmed), right now its only one size and is difficult to recreate anything with those.

I only have two questions, is there no water in the alpha yet? And water rides? And are we able to name our rides with our own names?

As Cptkush said none of those are in the alpha, but all are confirmed for the next alphas and final game release.
Next alpha is terraforming and expanded coaster builder. Maybe water is included in that. More dev diaries are also coming showing futures updates like water.

This is super exciting, especially the 1920s theming

Yup! We are finally getting "rid" of Alton Towers generic (that was pretty ugly in the old games) and getting Disneyland Main Street.
Some of the first good UGC for RCT3 was actually that, so lets see how its compared to those.

Cptkrush

Man, knowing what's coming later really makes me want to play this, but then I realize we just have pirate stuff and I get sad haha. Maybe I'll reinstall RCT3 and some custom scenery and mess around with that.

Also, RCTW early access starts tomorrow, so we should start seeing some impressions for that. I doubt it'll be great but it'll be interesting to see what changes they've made, if any from the poorly received testing.

someone on the forums linked this to me, and holy shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ccU4x219SU&ab_channel=Silvarret

Guy makes a mainstreet in timelapse and talks about his decisions. His architectural knowledge is astounding.

Man, knowing what's coming later really makes me want to play this, but then I realize we just have pirate stuff and I get sad haha. Maybe I'll reinstall RCT3 and some custom scenery and mess around with that.

Also, RCTW early access starts tomorrow, so we should start seeing some impressions for that. I doubt it'll be great but it'll be interesting to see what changes they've made, if any from the poorly received testing.

someone on the forums linked this to me, and holy shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ccU4x219SU&ab_channel=Silvarret

Guy makes a mainstreet in timelapse and talks about his decisions. His architectural knowledge is astounding.

Holy shit.
I was watching that video in mute, and I said, this reminds me of Silvarret RCT3 theming.
And yep!

Its freaking amazing. Going to eatch it now with sound, becuase he usually explain how he did it in great detail and is great to improve your own work.

Also he uses the smaller grid trick, theres a piece in the game, that if placed at the begginings makes the grid be halfsized, which helps with the movement of walls and roofs.

Wrynnax

Damn, that alpine theme...Don't have work today, so I'll try and post my progress on my food court in a castle here :)

Wrynnax

Changed my basic fountain a bit (puffer fish rule!!!!!!) and in the back you can see the food castle. Playing around with rocks all around my paths a little bit now.
QCjAD4T.jpg

Changed my basic fountain a bit (puffer fish rule!!!!!!) and in the back you can see the food castle. Playing around with rocks all around my paths a little bit now.
QCjAD4T.jpg

Looking good!

Im more familiar with the coaster builder know and could replicate succesfully Shambhala at PortAventura, its a little changed form the real thing because we still dont have numbers to know how tall or long things are, but its pretty similar.
Im going to rethemed it to a rural pirate town instead of the Himalayas though.

Mik2121

Wow, that stuff by Silvarret is insane. I can imagine the park file getting quite heavy after placing tons of assets though...

Kabouter

Wow, that stuff by Silvarret is insane. I can imagine the park file getting quite heavy after placing tons of assets though...

Yeah, so worth it though. Just holy crap that guy is talented.

Ran into an annoying bug myself just now, people have stopped going to coasters. Saw on the forums that they're working on that already, hoping they'll fix that soon.

Edit:
New parts of park, including coaster that now sits unused :(

Wrynnax

Poor Kabouter, all that hard coaster work for nothing! Here's me being productive on my day off ;-)

Queue for the swinging ship ride worked out fine, if I say so myself!
4Xj10qi.jpg

Mik2121

I hope the Terrain Editor update comes soon. Making small "mountains" and tunnels with the same few rocks is starting to get tiring, haha! Plus using terrain would mean we would have so much cleaner looking parks.

Cptkrush

Anyone know if there's a good singular location to find UGC for RCT3 that's well organized and easily searchable? It's been a few years since I've messed with it, and I'm about to google around, but just checking if there's any advice here first.

I'm gonna prototype a park that I can hopefully recreate in Planet Coaster in a few months

Edit: Found the Reddit CSO park. Should get me going well enough.

Second Edit: OOOOF I forgot how archaic RCT3 is, I'll just wait for the next alpha update haha

Trying to make a super detailed pirate land with the alpha. It started as the recreation of a real hyper coaster (Shambhala at PortAventura, and I need to say you can get a near perfect layout recreation with the tools we have right now, super impressive and im super proud of the immelman I did at one of the ends of the coaster), and then instead of Himalayas theming, I surrounded with a little pirate town with fortress included. 2 days of work right now, but I still think theres is a lot to be done.

SpacePirate. Is this finally the time to bring back Nintendoland? :p

Are you from the old RCT forums? I started there the idea (got pretty far, but the limitations and real life work killed me), but had a totally different username there lol
Or maybe you are talking about the screens and video ive been posting on gaf when someone brings a post of the Nintendo theme zones they are going to build at Universal :p

The answer is YES! Thats one of the things I wanted to do in Planet Coaster. There will be a lot changed, and maybe I use Universal as the company instead of Disney like I did with my animation university project, as things have changed a lot now lol

Anyone know if there's a good singular location to find UGC for RCT3 that's well organized and easily searchable? It's been a few years since I've messed with it, and I'm about to google around, but just checking if there's any advice here first.

I'm gonna prototype a park that I can hopefully recreate in Planet Coaster in a few months

Edit: Found the Reddit CSO park. Should get me going well enough.

Second Edit: OOOOF I forgot how archaic RCT3 is, I'll just wait for the next alpha update haha

Yup. Was playing the other day with my small cousing RCT2 and 3. I dont think i can get back to those games with so many building limitations. I didnt remember that there was collision detection for walls near paths in RCT2 (seems fences are the only ones that dont have it, and that was what i was remembering), and RCT3 has it for walls AND fences (only UGC has no collision detection).
No collision detection is one of the best things Planet Coaster has going for building. And it still has some when you get near rides I hope they can get rid of. Is nothing but a nuisance.

Game has been patched, my coasters are alive again! :p

Super good news! I was afraid of this bug for my new coaster after you talked about it here.

StayDead

Trying to make a super detailed pirate land with the alpha. It started as the recreation of a real hyper coaster (Shambhala at PortAventura, and I need to say you can get a near perfect layout recreation with the tools we have right now, super impressive and im super proud of the immelman I did at one of the ends of the coaster), and then instead of Himalayas theming, I surrounded with a little pirate town with fortress included. 2 days of work right now, but I still think theres is a lot to be done.

Are you from the old RCT forums? I started there the idea (got pretty far, but the limitations and real life work killed me), but had a totally different username there lol
Or maybe you are talking about the screens and video ive been posting on gaf when someone brings a post of the Nintendo theme zones they are going to build at Universal :p

The answer is YES! Thats one of the things I wanted to do in Planet Coaster. There will be a lot changed, and maybe I use Universal as the company instead of Disney like I did with my animation university project, as things have changed a lot now lol

Yup. Was playing the other day with my small cousing RCT2 and 3. I dont think i can get back to those games with so many building limitations. I didnt remember that there was collision detection for walls near paths in RCT2 (seems fences are the only ones that dont have it, and that was what i was remembering), and RCT3 has it for walls AND fences (only UGC has no collision detection).
No collision detection is one of the best things Planet Coaster has going for building. And it still has some when you get near rides I hope they can get rid of. Is nothing but a nuisance.

Super good news! I was afraid of this bug for my new coaster after you talked about it here.

I am. I even pmd you ages ago to check if you were GiveTM_a_chance. Im the guy StayingDead who made Nintendoland UK :p

ryan299

I have an all in one that has a AMD card in it, but the game only recognizes my cpu as having intel hd. Anybody know whats up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom