• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster Alpha |OT| underconstruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staab

This looks really great, I have been craving a new Roller Coaster management sim for a while now !

While the entry price for the retail game is very fair, I have to echo the sentiment that the alpha/beta access is kind of overpriced, I definitely would've bought in at a cheaper price.

Yay, it works perfectly!

Downloaded it, got into the main menu, and now I can't do anything. Mouse click doesn't seem to work :(

Go into the forums, there are a bunch of Frontier people commenting right now and helping anyone with problems. And I know you are not the only one with the click problem.

Tieske

Neo Member
Same issue, weirdly enough the menu icons do react to your mouse as they highlight themselves.

Watching twitch streams instead now, and holy shit this looks amazing even with the limited amount of assets. They made a giant fucking tree just with the terraforming alone. Hype

Kabouter

Yay, it works perfectly!

Go into the forums, there are a bunch of Frontier people commenting right now and helping anyone with problems. And I know you are not the only one with the click problem.

Yeah, by the time I'd posted here I'd already posted in the forums. They've offered no solution yet though.

So it seems some people are having problems with mouse clicks not responding, but I have problems with keyboard controls in the game.
They basically dont work.

Goingo to the official forums to see whats causing it.

Mik2121

Downloaded, installed and playing it while eating some pizza!!

I've been lucky (?) to not have any problems and I started by placing a ride and creating the paths. This shit is so goooooooooooooooooooooood! It's so easy to make neat paths. I will be posting screenshots after I get some extra stuff going, but right now I'm definitely loving this.

I expect for it to be full of things that would be cool to change, and I already got one (shortcut to change the length of paths without having to go to the bottom right menu). But that should be so easy to add, and I assume many people will give that feedback as well.

Downloaded, installed and playing it while eating some pizza!!

I've been lucky (?) to not have any problems and I started by placing a ride and creating the paths. This shit is so goooooooooooooooooooooood! It's so easy to make neat paths. I will be posting screenshots after I get some extra stuff going, but right now I'm definitely loving this.

I expect for it to be full of things that would be cool to change, and I already got one (shortcut to change the length of paths without having to go to the bottom right menu). But that should be so easy to add, and I assume many people will give that feedback as well.

So keyboard controls work for you?
I was doing great until i wanted to build something, theres no button to rotate objects with the mouse so I cant rotate any walls with Z button becuase it doesnt work.

Mik2121

So keyboard controls work for you?
I was doing great until i wanted to build something, theres no button to rotate objects with the mouse so I cant rotate any walls with Z button becuase it doesnt work.
Yep, I can use all the shortcuts and everything. I'm doing some basic scenery building now.

Yep, I can use all the shortcuts and everything. I'm doing some basic scenery building now.

Seems we found the problem. Everyone having it has a spanish keyboard, so its probably a region keyboard problem.
The game is not planned to be released in spanish, so im sure they overlooked our keyboard region changes slightly.

datwr

After the whole Elite always online thingy, I'm not giving them my money until the full version, even though it looks pretty good so far.

I wanna hear some impressions, not that people can give me much I guess, with coaster building not even properly in it yet.

Mik2121

Aaah makes sense! Hopefully they fix it soon.

Here are some shots of the first stuff I've done!

9uNucOr.jpg

LZD3ET5.jpg

SeSItrJ.jpg

And this is just as I started to learn the stuff around. I just noticed the pirate-style paths but can't find a way to paint the paths with that. I think maybe I need to repaint the paths right now? Oh well, I might start again to make sure I get it all more nicely themed!

delaneya

Game looks amazing. Was only other other day I was saying I miss games like theme park or theme hospital. My only worry is that if I buy access into the alpha by the time the game comes out I may of burned-out playing it.

So its not only a keyboard region problem, but if you have windows in spanish, the game just doesnt work. And the horrible thing is that in windows 7 is super hard to change the whole windows into another language.

Just fucking great. I dont mind bugs, but treating regions like second rate players seriously pisses me off.

Mikeside

So its not only a keyboard region problem, but if you have windows in spanish, the game just doesnt work. And the horrible thing is that in windows 7 is super hard to change the whole windows into another language.

Just fucking great. I dont mind bugs, but treating regions like second rate players seriously pisses me off.

Oh come on, it's not intentional, this is a bit strong.

Spookie

I hate you bastards, you're making me want to pick this up tonight. :(

I've been craving a new RCT for years, some of my most positive gaming memories come from Theme Park, RCT 1/2/3. Must- resist- purchase.

Oh come on, it's not intentional, this is a bit strong.

They never planned to do a spanish localisation from the start, that already bugs me off being them an european studio. But hey ok, a little bit pissed off, because I would prefer spanish localisation, but thankfully I know english so I can play it without too much problems.
That doesnt mean they never wanted spanish players to play it, but it helped create the problem, because the programmers did never thought about it, as it was not in their plans.

Apart from japanese visual novels, ive never seen the windows localisation having a problems with games not working. This is even worse than those becuase you only need to change your windows region, not the whole language of the OS, to fix the problem. Its a pretty big slip up not thinking of other regions (france, germany and italy dont seem to have this problems).

GeoGonzo

This may seem the dumbest question ever but I don't think I've seen screenshots of ramps / slopes. Is it possible to build a path up a hill, or make a bridge?

Otherwise, terraforming tools would only be used for decoration and everything in the park would be built on the same plane, which sounds kind of weird.

Tieske

Neo Member
Apart from japanese visual novels, ive never seen the windows localisation having a problems with games not working. This is even worse than those becuase you only need to change your windows region, not the whole language of the OS, to fix the problem. Its a pretty big slip up not thinking of other regions (france, germany and italy dont seem to have this problems).

I've seen German players complaining on the forums as well though, and I can vouch for it not working on Dutch localization either

Thankfully it is pretty easy to switch to English on Windows 10 so I'm playing now. And while I agree that this is a very sloppy mistake, this is an unfinished product. Caveat emptor man

Otherwise, terraforming tools would only be used for decoration and everything in the park would be built on the same plane, which sounds kind of weird.

The current pathing tools dont seem to react to slopes and such right now, but I'd expect that to come with the terrain tools themselves. It'd be a real miss if you can't make use of terrain outside of eye candy

Burny

They never planned to do a spanish localisation from the start, that already bugs me off being them an european studio. But hey ok, a little bit pissed off, because I would prefer spanish localisation, but thankfully I know english so I can play it without too much problems.
That doesnt mean they never wanted spanish players to play it, but it helped create the problem, because the programmers did never thought about it, as it was not in their plans.

Not speaking for all of us obviously, but if it was only for me, they could use any resources invested in the German localization for the Spanish one instead. ;)

Now, don't be too harsh with them (yet). Developing a game is hard enough and unless they have PCs with a Spanish Windows to test the game on it, these are likely issues due to some side effects they have not foreseen and obviously never found due to most likely not having tested that specific scenario. You can't really blame an English studio for not having Spanish Windows installations around and possibly not prioritizing a spanish localization for the alpha launch.

Mik2121

This may seem the dumbest question ever but I don't think I've seen screenshots of ramps / slopes. Is it possible to build a path up a hill, or make a bridge?

Sorry for the hard to see photo but,

XlcveW6.jpg

It's possible to make ramps, yeah.

whiteape

You know what an Alpha is right? For devs people like you are the worst. Sorry but an Alpha is a totally unstable and feature-incomplete version of a program and everybody knows that. You can't complain about a bug that was unnoticed because yet nobody with a spanish OS tested the game because the devs probably all have set their OS to english. File a bug-report, wait until they fix it and try it again. That's what an alpha test is for. Nothing else.

Lach

You know what an Alpha is right? For devs people like you are the worst. Sorry but an Alpha is a totally unstable and feature-incomplete version of a program and everybody knows that. You can't complain about a bug that was unnoticed because yet nobody with a spanish OS tested the game because the devs probably all have set their OS to english. File a bug-report, wait until they fix it and try it again. That's what an alpha test is for. Nothing else.

Completly agree. This is the first public version that goes out into a much bigger ecosystem than the dev team have. And as a developer I can't tell you how many times we've started testing with a piece of software, and problems came up where we went "how the hell did we not think of this". That's what testing is for.

U2NUMB

Gonna sit out the alpha but 100% in for retail release, hope it comes soon. Game looks great!! Gonna monitor the feedback everyone has with the alpha.

Ok seems I erased my other post before posting, but let me explain why Im a little pissed of by this, more than it being a bug.

They already said there was not going to be a spanish localisation, and it bugs me as they are a european studio which usually means will have the typical PAL5.

Yes, the bug could have happened even if they would have consider a localisation in the future, is just I decided to vent my fustration having a big problem with that bug becuase of the missing future localisation.

I understand it being an alpha, and there being even more bugs than this (I encountered some and didnt have any problem with those) its just that, a little fustration being with future localisation to my language mixed with that type of loacalisation bug. Probably was harsher than I need to be though, and its inexcusable when I myself im an inde game dev and know better about it being an alpha.

Nothing more, nothing else. Im not even pissed right now, just waiting for them to fix it.
BTW, before I vented here, I already wrote the bug in the forums, and thats how we found it was a spanish thing, becuase all posters were spanish.
More pissed right now I cant change my windows 7 language easily, and thats microsofts fault lol

ekim

Ok seems I erased my other post before posting, but let me explain why Im a little pissed of by this, more than it being a bug.

They already said there was not going to be a spanish localisation, and it bugs me as they are a european studio which usually means will have the typical PAL5.

Yes, the bug could have happened even if they would have consider a localisation in the future, is just I decided to vent my fustration having a big problem with that bug becuase of the missing future localisation.

I understand it being an alpha, and there being even more bugs than this (I encountered some and didnt have any problem with those) its just that, a little fustration being with future localisation to my language mixed with that type of loacalisation bug. Probably was harsher than I need to be though, and its inexcusable when I myself im an inde game dev and know better about it being an alpha.

Nothing more, nothing else. Im not even pissed right now, just waiting for them to fix it.
BTW, before I vented here, I already wrote the bug in the forums, and thats how we found it was a spanish thing, becuase all posters were spanish.
More pissed right now I cant change my windows 7 language easily, and thats microsofts fault lol

I feel you. Knowing what the problem but having no way to fix it, is really a big bummer. Do you know the technical background that prevents the game from running on a Spanish system? Some character sets?

vgamer1

This game looks like it's shaping up to be something great, however I'm completely put off by the developers charging MORE for the alpha than the main game.

Staab

Why? You get the full game + early access. Not sure why it'd be cheaper.
You don't, he's correct :
the base game is 26.99 Euros, which only includes the base game.
the cheapest alpha package is 67.99 or 41 Euros for the upgrade.
so the alpha access is 14 Euros more expensive than the base game :p

And could finally fix the problem by changing windows 7 to english.

The problem is that imusing a third party program as windows doesnt let you do that easily with windows 7. The program was giving me lots of errors until I installed some lingering windows updates that seem to be hidden. After that I used the program to tranlate it and I can use the keyboard to play the game.

Theres some problems becuase some keys dont match now what they do in game, but I can wait for the real fix and change my windows to spanish again.

Miles X

You don't, he's correct :
the base game is 26.99 Euros, which only includes the base game.
the cheapest alpha package is 67.99 or 41 Euros for the upgrade.
so the alpha access is 14 Euros more expensive than the base game :p

Gees, that is a lot ... 0_O I guess they think people will swallow the cost to play the game early.

Mik2121

I took a short video showing part of my first park!

Right now the only "problem" I see is that if you keep placing assets it tends to end up looking noisy, so hopefully the terraforming comes soon so I can build big rocky walls and cliffs surrounding some of my areas to keep them simpler. Also I kept it too compact, so that's probably something else I will have to fix, and make it more open and wide like many of the samples in the game.

Overall after some 3 hours playing, I'm definitely loving this. I also tried the coaster editor and it worked fine, though it's fairly obvious it's still work in progress (not nearly as smooth as making paths, etc..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zWIOAeN9Do&feature=youtu.be

Right now the only "problem" I see is that if you keep placing assets it tends to end up looking noisy, so hopefully the terraforming comes soon so I can build big rocky walls and cliffs surrounding some of my areas to keep them simpler. Also I kept it too compact, so that's probably something else I will have to fix, and make it more open and wide like many of the samples in the game.

Overall after some 3 hours playing, I'm definitely loving this. I also tried the coaster editor and it worked fine, though it's fairly obvious it's still work in progress (not nearly as smooth as making paths, etc..)

That looks amazing mik!
Will post your video and screenshot in the op after I finsh some house chores

Dachande

They already said there was not going to be a spanish localisation, and it bugs me as they are a european studio which usually means will have the typical PAL5

I have to be honest, I think you're putting too much stock in them being a "European" studio.

This applies to most UK developers rather than just Frontier, but us Brits don't really consider other EU countries as a priority when in alpha when we make games. Generally, other languages are an afterthought and put off being sorted and tested properly until the project is further along - probably around the beta phase or so.

It differs from studio to studio and depends what kind of workflow that may be in place from previous projects or the kind of resources available to each (and tbf, it's a big oversight for a public beta), but you probably shouldn't expect the level of consideration for non-English languages from UK devs that you currently have... I mean, our unwillingness to learn anything other than English is already pretty well-known throughout the continent!

I'm not saying it's right, but that's the situation.

Gigarator

Oh man, first park I loaded up only ran at 40fps on high. Was expecting better than that with a 970M but hey-ho, mid settings gets me 60 seemingly on lock so I'll stick with that for now. Not had time to give it a proper go yet but man, I can see this being something I sink a lot of hours into in the next few weeks.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This game looks like it's shaping up to be something great, however I'm completely put off by the developers charging MORE for the alpha than the main game.

Yeah so am I, it's why I held off buying Elite until it was released, and it's why I won't be buying Planet Coaster until it releases too. Day One on release, but I'll wait patiently. I have zero problems early adopting a game I know I'll want if the price is reduced or even full price if I feel it's justified, and I actually do enjoy the testing process and helping the devs complete a game. But paying extra money for the privilege of bug hunting and playing an incomplete or even broken game? Yeah, that's not fiscally sound for me.

I'll just wait. :)

Looks great! How were you getting the pirate sound effects and music? Are there speakers like in RC3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom