• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster Alpha |OT| underconstruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
More news about the older alpha editions dissapearing from the store, and the new edition appearing and what it contains:

As we prepare to move to the next phase of development, Alpha 3, we have some important news concerning the Steam Store.

A quick recap: on August 23, 2016, the Planet Coaster Alpha 3 will officially be released. As of Alpha 3, Planet Coaster will require Steam to run, meaning you need a (free) Steam account to be able to play the game.

On August 25, 2016, Alpha will be closing to new players; current players or those who upgrade before this date will be able to play all the way through to Beta and release.

As of August 25, the following products will be removed from the Frontier Store:

• Planet Coaster: Early Bird Alpha Edition
• Planet Coaster: Coaster Head Edition
• Planet Coaster: Deluxe Edition
• Planet Coaster: Early Bird Upgrade
• Coaster Head Club Upgrade
• Planet Coaster In-game VIP Single Ticket
• Planet Coaster In-game VIP Group Ticket
• Planet Coaster In-game VIP Staff Pass
• Planet Coaster Foundation Stone

The Frontier and Steam store will then have the following products available until release:

-Planet Coaster £26.99/€33.99/$40.99
-Planet Coaster: Thrillseeker Edition £29.99/€37.99/$44.99 – this version includes an in-game Golden Hat for your avatar, a Gold King Coaster mascot, a digital sketchbook, the Planet Coaster Official Soundtrack and access to the Planet Coaster beta.

Please note that these new editions do NOT give you access to Alpha and this can only be purchase by getting the Early Bird edition of the game before 25 August.

Anyone who has already purchased Early Bird Alpha, Coaster Head Edition, and Deluxe Edition of Planet Coaster will be given ALL the extras of the Thrillseeker Edition including Beta access, as a thank you for your continued support and feedback during the development of Planet Coaster. So with the current lower price of pre-order until the 25 August it’s the perfect time to pre-order or join the other Early Birds in Alpha now.

Happy that im getting the OST for the game, as its pretty great. The sketchbook will be also be cool, but we probably seen most of it during the develpoment of the alphas.

Will the alpha be on Steam for the 2 days before it is removed?

Alpha 3 will be played ONLY on steam, what they are doing is actually not letting you enter the alpha anymore.
So players that have purchased the game on alpha will be able to play it on steam until the beta is released (we dont know when, but we will have at least 1 month or 2 playing the alpha), when more players will be able to play (the new ones that come with the thrillseeker edition purchase).

Hip Hop

I've been thinking,

Is it possible to recreate a real life theme park in Planet Coaster? Like say a Disneyland, Six Flags, or Knotts Berry Farm.

D-Pad

^ Just a page back SpacePirateRidley shared a very awesome recreation of a real life park he's working on:

Finished the Metropolis part from the recreation of DC Super Heroes World at Parque Warner in Madrid. Tried to keep it a similar as possible to the real thing.
Posting only some screen, you can see the whole thing in the Planet Coaster forums thread:
https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/8253-Recreation-of-DC-Super-Heroes-World-at-Parque-Warner-Madrid

And this is with just the materials we have on hand so far. So I'd say it's very possible.

Staab

While it is fairly reasonable in comparison to the new price, it's still 50% more than it's current price.
Right, for the game at release, but the current alpha cost is pretty huge, like 70 dollars or 60.
The game + beta for 45 seems much more attractive to me!

I've been thinking,

Is it possible to recreate a real life theme park in Planet Coaster? Like say a Disneyland, Six Flags, or Knotts Berry Farm.

Right now, the map size is not enough for build any park (but is going to be expanded with the final release) and the materials on the alpha make it really difficult to do (theres no recolarable pieces yet, they are coming with alpha 3 though).
Ive been doing a part of the DC superheroes world at Parque Warner Madrid, as similar as you can get to it, and still using a trick that not anymore sadly in the game to turn the all the pieces in wichever direction you want. It has been too much work and im probably not going to try to do anymore recreations in the future, but the option is there and probably is going to become easier as time passes.
Although maybe only zones instead of whole parks until computers get better.

^ Just a page back SpacePirateRidley shared a very awesome recreation of a real life park he's working on:

And this is with just the materials we have on hand so far. So I'd say it's very possible.

Hahaha, thanks for posting.
Im just (finally) giving the final touches to the land. The Batman coaster queue and zone has given me lots of headaches. Hopefully I can get it finished tomorrow or after tomorrow (after more than a month working on it).

Right, for the game at release, but the current alpha cost is pretty huge, like 70 dollars or 60.
The game + beta for 45 seems much more attractive to me!

The current alpha cost is the most overpriced of all, though. The beta price is more reasonable but it the new game price itself seems like too much of an increase too soon.

U2NUMB

So I bought the pre order through their site for $29.99.... I forgot to research if I would receive a steam key once released. anyone know that answer off the top of their head?

So I bought the pre order through their site for $29.99.... I forgot to research if I would receive a steam key once released. anyone know that answer off the top of their head?

The game goes SteamWorks with Alpha 3 so every version, regardless of where you buy it will be a STEAM version.

An amzing dev diary was released yesterday, the fourth one of the series. This time talking about the music and sound in the game. IMO the soundesign here is some of the best stuff ive ever heard on videogames. The coasters sound EXACTLY like the real thing (and I use caps becuase the sound is amazingly real), and not like vaccum cleaners (even RCT3 sounded like that). The crowd noise is also super real even if the speak with the game's language (Planko). The music that you can hear from rides and stores is super well done becuase it sounds with the perfect volume and surrounding.

In the video you can also see some of the new things the game has.

https://youtu.be/IHAeUJrKVT4

Also dont forget that tomorrow they start with the first alpha 3 stream at 12:00 CEST, and do 2 more on friday and saturday.

Surprised at how little attention that thread I made got...

Its a pity that the game doesnt gather much the crowd on neogaf, but the community is already pretty big and the game has sell really well during the alpha, so its not going to fail.

I sure more people will come when the game is released and I make the real OT.

Tainted

More news about the older alpha editions dissapearing from the store, and the new edition appearing and what it contains:

Happy that im getting the OST for the game, as its pretty great. The sketchbook will be also be cool, but we probably seen most of it during the develpoment of the alphas.

Hmm so preorder now for £19.99 or wait a week and buy the thrillseeker edition for £29.99 which includes the beta access.

I'm not convinced alpha access is worth the extra £30 .. I'm happy to just watch some streams to see what has been added from earlier alphas

I have more a problem with the cheeks that make her look older or loke a squirrel like you said.

Theres no management in the game yet. Is coming after alpha 3. At least we know guest intelligence works well right now (rct3 had a big problem with that).
We know right now the management aspect of parkitect is more advanced than older rct games, if you want that type of game.

Never heard of parkitect. is it any good? How come it got such little attention?

Dont u guys want this game to have a good management system?

Im hoping it's good

epmode

An amzing dev diary was released yesterday, the fourth one of the series. This time talking about the music and sound in the game. IMO the soundesign here is some of the best stuff ive ever heard on videogames. The coasters sound EXACTLY like the real thing (and I use caps becuase the sound is amazingly real), and not like vaccum cleaners (even RCT3 sounded like that). The crowd noise is also super real even if the speak with the game's language (Planko). The music that you can hear from rides and stores is super well done becuase it sounds with the perfect volume and surrounding.

Frontier has one of the best sound teams in the industry. Elite is astonishing as well.

D-Pad

The audio was some of the best things about RCT1 and 2... RCT3 had some nice music but the atmosphere was completely different. Same seems to be true for Planet Coaster. I hope there's SOME fairground organ-style music in the game lol

Excited for the Alpha 3 stream but I'll have to catch it later cause I'm not waking up at 6AM EST lol

When he compared creating the "fake" language for the people in the game to Tolkien writing for Elves that don't exist, I was sold.

Tolkien is the pinnacle of creating a language for a fictional work, you can't strive for higher as far as I am concerned.

I really can't decide on pre-ordering the game while it's still discounted. It looks awesome, but at the same time I'm not so sure on supporting Frontier after all the bad things they did with Elite.

Also, 3 months seems like a very short time for all the management aspects, staff, visitor needs, economy simulation, the campaign as well as more themes, rides, buildings and props to be added to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=witHDYOUOoQ&channel=UCzpQvNnyoKgpu0lJdeXbFmQ

The streaming is starting guys!

Never heard of parkitect. is it any good? How come it got such little attention?

Dont u guys want this game to have a good management system?

Im hoping it's good

Parkitect is pretty good, its RCT2 on steroids (at first was only RCT1, becuase there was no building system, but they expanded it in middle of alpha). The game is still in alpha and theres lot of work to be done.

Hmm so preorder now for £19.99 or wait a week and buy the thrillseeker edition for £29.99 which includes the beta access.

I'm not convinced alpha access is worth the extra £30 .. I'm happy to just watch some streams to see what has been added from earlier alphas

It depends, if you are loking more for management than building I say wait.

Frontier has one of the best sound teams in the industry. Elite is astonishing as well.

Then it doesnt surprise. It really is amazing.

The audio was some of the best things about RCT1 and 2... RCT3 had some nice music but the atmosphere was completely different. Same seems to be true for Planet Coaster. I hope there's SOME fairground organ-style music in the game lol

Excited for the Alpha 3 stream but I'll have to catch it later cause I'm not waking up at 6AM EST lol

RCT1 and 2 had good audio for a game like those, but I wouldnt call it great. I LOVE RCT1 and 2's main theme, and the carrousel theme, but it doesnt go more than that. The shouting of kids in coasters is some famous audio you can hear in some movies, but the game cant really be that inmersive becuase of the camera.
RCT3's music was somewaht dissapointing, there were some good melodies there, but the rest was pretty meh, and the audio itself was pretty unrealistic (like coaster sounding like vacuum cleaners).

Planet Coaster music is EXCELLENT(though I maybe like more the main themes of RCT1 and 2), how they use the main theme on the menu and loading is fantastic, and the chorus part is great. The adventure theme not used yet in the game is even better and sound even more to theme park stuff. And then theres the audio, that is really out of this world. It just sounds perfect.

Pretty meh stream. Some nice details but things left unanswered (are textures and vegetation attached only to locales, is water really only cosmetic with no interaction with future water rides?) or they just dont give a fuck as I sadly knew (full rotating for every piece coming back), and then they wasted 10 full minutes putting the sound dev diary they already showed 2 days before. Non gamescom streams were MUCH better.
At least tomorrow we have "manage" stream, and after tomorrow "share" stream. Manage is going to be cool and totally new, but I dont really give two flying fucks about sharing if its not about modding community (and Im sure its going to be only about sharing your parks and prefab buildings, something i can already do with a freaking save).
Thees still a bunch of problems to resolve with the

Here are the videos of the stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-WT3hBCsKg&channel=UCzpQvNnyoKgpu0lJdeXbFmQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpNYWeBc0QM&channel=UCzpQvNnyoKgpu0lJdeXbFmQ (there was no need for this video, they already showed this on screens two months ago)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfm_uyhYx9Y&channel=UCzpQvNnyoKgpu0lJdeXbFmQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vUtJgqgcig&channel=UCzpQvNnyoKgpu0lJdeXbFmQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tCb5aBoU5k&channel=UCzpQvNnyoKgpu0lJdeXbFmQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guVMfTObDYo&channel=UCzpQvNnyoKgpu0lJdeXbFmQ

Now they are going to stream famous planet coaster creators (Silvarret, Flabiliki, Rudi...) playing the alpha 3.

Pretty meh stream. Some nice details but things left unanswered (are textures and vegetation attached only to locales, is water really only cosmetic with no interaction with future water rides?) or they just dont give a fuck as I sadly knew (full rotating for every piece coming back), and then they wasted 10 full minutes putting the sound dev diary they already showed 2 days before. Non gamescom streams were MUCH better.
At least tomorrow we have "manage" stream, and after tomorrow "share" stream. Manage is going to be cool and totally new, but I dont really give two flying fucks about sharing if its not about modding community (and Im sure its going to be only about sharing your parks and prefab buildings, something i can already do with a freaking save).
Thees still a bunch of problems to resolve with the

Here are the videos of the stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-WT3hBCsKg&channel=UCzpQvNnyoKgpu0lJdeXbFmQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpNYWeBc0QM&channel=UCzpQvNnyoKgpu0lJdeXbFmQ (there was no need for this video, they already showed this on screens two months ago)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfm_uyhYx9Y&channel=UCzpQvNnyoKgpu0lJdeXbFmQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vUtJgqgcig&channel=UCzpQvNnyoKgpu0lJdeXbFmQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tCb5aBoU5k&channel=UCzpQvNnyoKgpu0lJdeXbFmQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guVMfTObDYo&channel=UCzpQvNnyoKgpu0lJdeXbFmQ

Now they are going to stream famous planet coaster creators (Silvarret, Flabiliki, Rudi...) playing the alpha 3.

Even as someone who hasn't been paying full attention to everything, those videos are very disappointing. It shouldn't taken 20 - 60 seconds to very slowly show each of those features. Some of them like the colouring and support removal is cool, but they could have shown them in a less boring way. I don't see why they couldn't have just took them and put them into a 5 minute trailer alongside the other alpha 3 features (assuming those are in alpha 3).

Even as someone who hasn't been paying full attention to everything, those videos are very disappointing. It shouldn't taken 20 - 60 seconds to very slowly show each of those features. Some of them like the colouring and support removal is cool, but they could have shown them in a less boring way. I don't see why they couldn't have just took them and put them into a 5 minute trailer alongside the other alpha 3 features (assuming those are in alpha 3).

Yup, all those will be possible in alpha 3.
Actually the community streams (first one was with Flabiki and the second one in 15 minutes is the great Silvarret), were much better showing the game.

They showed things like the game actually having fastpasses, and now we know there shit like limiting textures to different locals (yay for limiting creativity :/ ), or that tramac texture, somethingt hat was there since alpha 2, is not there naymore god knows why.

I hoping Silvarret tries to break the game with the building tools right now and gives some feedbak to the devs, becuase they are not asnwering the problems we are having with building at the moment, that as few as they are they seem important for limitless creativity.

megasus

Is there any word on new themes and rides for Alpha 3?
I'm kinda worried about the lack thereof considering the release is merely 3 months away.

We've got 2 themes currently in the game with one other (fantasy) apparently in development. If we end up with 3 or 4 themes at launch, I'll be a bit disappointed as even RCT3 had much more to offer in that regard.

Yup, all those will be possible in alpha 3.
Actually the community streams (first one was with Flabiki and the second one in 15 minutes is the great Silvarret), were much better showing the game.

They showed things like the game actually having fastpasses, and now we know there shit like limiting textures to different locals (yay for limiting creativity :/ ), or that tramac texture, somethingt hat was there since alpha 2, is not there naymore god knows why.

I hoping Silvarret tries to break the game with the building tools right now and gives some feedbak to the devs, becuase they are not asnwering the problems we are having with building at the moment, that as few as they are they seem important for limitless creativity.

What do you mean about the limiting textures/tramac texture? I don't have the game so i'm not sure what you're refering to.

What problems with building are there?

Is there any word on new themes and rides for Alpha 3?
I'm kinda worried about the lack thereof considering the release is merely 3 months away.

We've got 2 themes currently in the game with one other (fantasy) apparently in development. If we end up with 3 or 4 themes at launch, I'll be a bit disappointed as even RCT3 had much more to offer in that regard.

Alpha 3 has fanatsy, thats is huge, then there colorable walls (for most of the things), and generic and pirta eis being exapanded with new pieces.
We know the next is sci fi, if some of the concept art is to be believed,also the old generic is going to turn to americana (disneyland main street theming)
ANd yes, they seem to be very slow creating themings although they said they will be updating the game (with free themes and rides also, so not only payed dlc) for years to come.

What do you mean about the limiting textures/tramac texture? I don't have the game so i'm not sure what you're refering to.

What problems with building are there?

Limiting the textures is they have now brought something called locales. So you can build a park in a desert, grass land, etc... Ok thats fine. But someone had the great idea of limiting the textures to different locales, so you cant use brown sand for example on grasslands. Which is utterly stupid and limits creativity (I can undertsand having those limits in campaign mode, but not in an alpha or sandbox mode).
Also tarmac, a man made texture (as in not natural, it was used for creating parkings and similar stuff in game) that existed in alpha 2 is not there anymore, who knows why. It wa super useful and I used it a lot in my recreation.

Alpha 2 brought a feature, that then it was taken out for alpha 2.2, because they said it was a bug a non intended, that actually was great and expanded your creativity. You could turn every piece 360º. Now you cant turn grid based pieces (so walls, roofs and some strange piece choices). You want to build the tower of Pisa? fat chance.
Im actually using that bug (and it works great without any buggy problems after more than 200 hours of work) still with a workaround by having still installed alpha 2.1 and 2.2 at the same time, and cycling through them while building, but that will be impossible to do with alpha 3.
The worse thing is that is asked again and again in the forums for a comback of that feature just better implemented, and they dont want to answer that question, if they see it written on an ama for example, they just jump to the next like it doesnt exist.
Theres also some other nuances when you get deep into creating stuff thats should be improved, but nothing game breaking.

Mik2121

After seeing all the updates for Alpha 3, I'm quite excited and looking forward to playing it!
I believe tomorrow they'll show the sharing stuff, right? If we will need Steam and we can check our friends' theme parks, what about we add each other on Steam?

If everybody is cool with it, add me: Mik2121
Just tell me what your nick here is (on a message via Steam)

After seeing all the updates for Alpha 3, I'm quite excited and looking forward to playing it!
I believe tomorrow they'll show the sharing stuff, right? If we will need Steam and we can check our friends' theme parks, what about we add each other on Steam?

If everybody is cool with it, add me: Mik2121
Just tell me what your nick here is (on a message via Steam)

Yup, tomorrow is the sharing stream. Hoping theres some kind of peak into mods thanks to steamworks but there probably is going to be nothing.
And yup, will send you a friend request tomorrow mik!
Would love to have a gaf community around the game.

EDIT Seems I cant send you a message through steam, sent you a friend request, I have basically the same name as on gaf.

When they said the full release would be in November i was a bit worried considering how unfinished the game currently is and how many features hadn't even been shown yet, but they showed some of the management aspects yesterday in the Stream so it might not be too early after all.

They seems to have the main game already in place for novemeber (all the game systems, building and management aspects).

The game is going to come with the wooden coaster, 1 or 2 water rides and some transports in the final release (those are the most requested rides that people always ask in the alphas) and then probably start expanding from there with new themes and rides, bringing dark rides later.

Mik2121

Yup, tomorrow is the sharing stream. Hoping theres some kind of peak into mods thanks to steamworks but there probably is going to be nothing.
And yup, will send you a friend request tomorrow mik!
Would love to have a gaf community around the game.

EDIT Seems I cant send you a message through steam, sent you a friend request, I have basically the same name as on gaf.
Added!

And yeah, we need some GAF community to share high quality content and check each other's parks!

We got something great about the sharing stream. You can use the multi select tool finally, and select multiple buildings (like when you used to grids to make soime diagonal wall in a building) to make it be just 1 building you can copy and paste, or share the whole building on steam.

Added!

And yeah, we need some GAF community to share high quality content and check each other's parks!

Yup! Cant wait to see what this community ceates. Will make a special post when I make the OT about the community and adding friends.

Feel free to add me as well, Retuobak on Steam. (Though nickname is different)

Of course! Just sent it.

They seems to have the main game already in place for novemeber (all the game systems, building and management aspects).

The game is going to come with the wooden coaster, 1 or 2 water rides and some transports in the final release (those are the most requested rides that people always ask in the alphas) and then probably start expanding from there with new themes and rides, bringing dark rides later.

I don't particularly like the sound of that, really. Any new content after release shouldn't feel like it should have been there all along or be something that is pretty much necessary. A fully released game should be a fully finished game.

It sounds like they might be doing what they did with Elite, releasing a game that that they know isn't really done and then saying it's fine because they'll maybe sort it out later, eventually.

I don't particularly like the sound of that, really. Any new content after release shouldn't feel like it should have been there all along or be something that is pretty much necessary. A fully released game should be a fully finished game.

It sounds like they might be doing what they did with Elite, releasing a game that that they know isn't really done and then saying it's fine because they'll maybe sort it out later, eventually.

They can't exactly release with every theme you can imagine, and every ride type ever conceived. New themes and rides/coasters are standard add-ons for the genre.

Mik2121

It's not like the game will only have that. It already has some 15+ kinds of coasters and flat rides. I assume they'll add more of those plus the wooden coasters and a couple water rides.

It won't have as much content as, say, RCT3 had at the beginning, but it's not like it's empty and the management side should be quite good from the looks of it.

They said they are going to be updating the game through the years, so theres not going to be a Planet Coaster 2 any time soon (maybe in 15 years like RCT3 lol)
They also said some of them will be free (I suppose new themes and rides that come one by one, or maybe gameplay elements like fireworks shows) and the big updates like soaked or wild will be payed.
The only sad thing is that it will not be as complete on release as RCT3 was, but is not like its that far either and the liberty they put into the game make that having less themes right now you can do more things with them, like mix and match to create totally new themes (RCT3 was actually horrible with this and didnt exapand properly until UGC started to come by).
If the game plays great and they update it regularly, I dont have a problem with how is coming along.

I can't even remember how much content was in base RCT3. 90% of my playtime has been with both expansions and mods. Obviously PC certainly has it dramatically beat in the flexibility of all of its creations tools and visuals. I think with today's digital distribution letting them pretty much patch/update as often as they want, rather than being constricted to a couple of big updates, as well as workshop support, content will come a lot faster than it has before. Plus it's £26.99 (£19.99 currently for pre-order) rather than full price. A Cities Skylines-like update model would be fine by me.

RCT wiki has nothing but broken links on the RCT3 section (and doesnt even mention different themes). Im going to install the game on GoG again to see how much did RCt3 vanilla had on release (easy becuase evry thing in the expansion was marked with its own icon).

They can't exactly release with every theme you can imagine, and every ride type ever conceived. New themes and rides/coasters are standard add-ons for the genre.

Of course not and i didn't imply they should, but things like Dark Rides feel like they should be part of the game at release. Additional rides and themes after launch are fine, although it does seem a bit limited in terms of aesthetic choice at the moment.

I think if at least 1 more theme was added a few more items for the current ones it would be alright, but to me as it is things feel a little incomplete.

It's not like the game will only have that. It already has some 15+ kinds of coasters and flat rides. I assume they'll add more of those plus the wooden coasters and a couple water rides.

It won't have as much content as, say, RCT3 had at the beginning, but it's not like it's empty and the management side should be quite good from the looks of it.

The main issue for me at the moment is the flat rides. The rides themselves are great and look awesome, but they have specific themes that can at times mean they'd feel entirely out of place. I think it would have been better to have a generic version of a ride and then have an optional theme for them.

The same also applies to the Chief Beef and Cosmic Cow, they seem quite out of place with some of the themes. Hopefully a generic version gets added at some point.

Jedi2016

There's a couple things to consider, regarding 1) Who the developer is, and 2) The modern game industry vs the one RCT3 was released in.

The reason the first point is important is because Frontier is doing the same thing with PC that they're doing with E:D... they'll release a functional, but somewhat barebones, game at launch, and they'll spend the next ten years releasing updates for it.

The reason I bring up the second point is that this is the reality of today's industry. RTC3 was released at a time when the game was done at launch. What you got was what you got. Now Frontier is absolutely doing the "games as service" type of development... updating a single game over a long period of time with all the features people want instead of releasing an entirely new game every year or so with a few new features each time.

This isn't going to be a one-and-done release, and what's coming is not just going to be "DLC" like other devs do. There will probably never be a "Planet Coaster 2", any more than there will be an "Elite: Dangerous 2". The features you want will come, and the majority of them will probably be free unless it adds major new gameplay elements. They just might not be there at launch.

I'm already playing it, just like I played E:D in beta. "Launch" is a pretty meaningless word to a game like this, and if what you're looking for is a complete package all at once, one-and-done, then it's best you look elsewhere, because that's simply not what's going to happen with anything Frontier puts out.

Of course not and i didn't imply they should, but things like Dark Rides feel like they should be part of the game at release. Additional rides and themes after launch are fine, although it does seem a bit limited in terms of aesthetic choice at the moment.

I think if at least 1 more theme was added a few more items for the current ones it would be alright, but to me as it is things feel a little incomplete.

I guess I've watched enough YouTubers creating such a variety of themes with the alpha sets that it isn't a concern for me. It seems much more flexible than past theming where objects and walls fit into a much more rigid creative space. I do agree though that the heavily themed flat rides limit things a bit, but re-skinning those shouldn't be a big task. A plain un-themed version of every ride, like they have for the shops, would be nice.

Actually, having just booted up RCT3, Planet Coaster is not that far of it as we think. Yes in terms of coasters, everything else, we are getting there before the final release. Themes in RCT3 were actually terrible and Planet Coaster has superpassed it ironically with less themes. And you guys are right, they always said Planet Coaster will be a game as service, and that Planet Coaster 2 would probably never come.

RCT3 Vanilla had:
-61 coasters, 6 of them are track water rides like log flumes, splash boats, rapids...
-9 Junior rides
-27 thrillrides (some repeats with diferent themes)
-7 water rides, basically rides that use bodies of water like the small boats or the swans.
-18 gentle rides, basically shows, arcades, min golf... also has some reapeats, like 3 different small ferris wheels.
-6 transport rides, basically trains, monorrails... (transport water rides didnt come until soaked).
-14 misc rides, basically any track ride (things you could turn into dark rides or free fall towers)

TOTAL: 142 rides.

Funilly I found the game was pretty bad at theming and Planet Coaster with only 3 distinct right now is much better.
THEMES:
-Generic: divided between color generic english theme park walls, cristal walls, park garden gates, english house brick, modern city flats.
-Western: divided between western town and western ranch
-spooky: divided between spooky house and spooky castle
-Sci-fi: divided between martian bronze wall set, silver space wall set and bio gardens wall set
-Adventure: divided between Caribbean castle, sultan adventure houses, sultan marble palace

And fireworks shows that was probably the best thing to come out of vanilla.

RCT3 excelled on number of coasters and the firework show editor. It might seems Planet Coaster will not get to the same amount of different coasters on its release, but everything else, including themes, are going to be better.
The generic theme in RCT3 has been always been trash while generic in Planet Coaster has turned into studios/six flags modern theming, and its going to get also Main Street type of theming called americana, toally absent of RCT3. Adventure is actually much better in Planet Coaster already, its supposed to be pirate towns and castles, but thanks to it we have made roman theming, and more... the sultan buildings were always bad. Sci fi was als a prtty bit crap, although you had 3 different types of sci fi in the game. Planet Coaster is going to get sci fi becuase we saw it on one of the artworks, in fact is probably the next theme they show. Spooky was bad and the only way to get something similar to fantsy in vanilla. Fantasy in Planet Coaster seems so good, we will probably be able to get a spooky theming out it that is better than the RCT3 wall sets. Wester is were RCT3 excelled, and we dont have news yet of it coming to Planet Coaster, but im sure is coming.

Planet Coaster Alpha 3 has at the moment 23 flat rides (13 thrill rides,10 gentle/junior rides) and 20 coasters. 43 rides in total, without counting things already confirmed when released, like 1 or 2 waterides, transport rides (coney express was shown), wooden coaster and RCM (also shown), and rides like karts.

So its not as bad as it seem in first glance, Planet Coaster excels in the majority of things already, and still needs to be released.

James93

Have they said anything about the business model after release. I'm defiantly worried based off their track record with Elite Dangerous and the business model so far. That its going to be paid dlc out of the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom