• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Earth 3 announced, narrated by David Attenborough

feynoob

Banned
I guess i need to reserve my time when it drops.
The show is relaxing and davids sound make it epic.

bender

What time is it?
Day 1 though I'll not be able to watch it. My dog watches TV and Planet Earth rustles his jimmies.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
He can narrate anything, and it will sound good. He's definitely the best narrator I have ever heard. I will be watching this.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Excited for planet earth 3 knowing there’s footage we haven’t seen yet.
Looking Polar Bear GIF by BBC America

sono

Gold Member
I am sure it will be awesome.

However I fear it will have more of the desperate hopelessness of what we have and are doing to our incredible planet. Hopeless for the average person.

For the average person other than say oh that is so terrible and then going to bed thinking about work; coordinated world wide government mandated action is the only way realistically to change anything and is it too late?.

For this reason and sorry to be debbie downer I am out, it will only serve to cause me pain in truth.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I hope this season dousent end with a bunch of orcas ramming a baby whale to death. I thought that was a bit of a harsh note to end the last series on.

Like throw us a bone for the end at least.

Last edited:

Hudo

Sir David Attenborough is one of the very few people (myself excluded) who I don't want to die.

Paasei

Nice, can’t wait what environments they will cover this time. The episode with caves was one of the coolest documentaries I’ve ever seen. On par with the Deep Sea from Blue Planet that was also narrated by him.

violence

Didn’t Sigourney Weaver do the American version of the first one and no one liked it?

Edit: yes

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One of the GOATs

Comment nails it too,
I love David Attenborough, he's able to make me root for a small cannibalistic insect & then makes me feel sorry for it when it is then eaten by a bigger cannibalistic insect.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
They should dedicate one episode to climate change but leave it out of the rest. It got annoying really.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

The planet is changing and ecosystems are being destroyed, no way around it.
live either finds a way or is dying out. I have no problem them showing the live of animals and their struggles in 2023, but the constant “it is our way of live that is taking this polar bears home away” is annoyingly preachy.
Realistically I can’t do shit about it, Megacorps can - either dedicate the show to inform people watching who is responsible for climate change and how to stop it or reduce the preaching.

But it’s not going to reduce my enjoyment of the series either way.
I was more elaborately nitpicking.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The planet is changing and ecosystems are being destroyed, no way around it.
There's almost always been at least a hint of environmentalism in all of these nature documentaries for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid, it wasn't about climate change but human expansion and deforestation. With all things it'll just be a matter of how much of emphasis they put on it. I think most people just don't want to be preached to.

Last edited:

Toons

There's almost always been at least a hint of environmentalism in all of these nature documentaries for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid, it wasn't about climate change but human expansion and deforestation. With all things it'll just be a matter of how much of emphasis they put on it. I think most people just don't want to be preached to.

These series aren't just meant for people to gawk at the beauty. They are meant to instill in viewers a desire to preserve that beauty.

Twinequinox

Neo Member
Nice. Will probably download the series at some point. Definitely in it for the photography and cinematography. But will hover my finger on the ➔ button to fast-forward through the sections as soon as I get a whiff of any preachiness or lecturing. Maybe I'll even resort to AI to help automate re-encoding a clean version of the series.

violence

Nice. Will probably download the series at some point. Definitely in it for the photography and cinematography. But will hover my finger on the ➔ button to fast-forward through the sections as soon as I get a whiff of any preachiness or lecturing. Maybe I'll even resort to AI to help automate re-encoding a clean version of the series.
If it's like "A Perfect Planet" It will be the last 5 minutes of each episode.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
live either finds a way or is dying out. I have no problem them showing the live of animals and their struggles in 2023, but the constant “it is our way of live that is taking this polar bears home away” is annoyingly preachy.
Realistically I can’t do shit about it, Megacorps can - either dedicate the show to inform people watching who is responsible for climate change and how to stop it or reduce the preaching.

But it’s not going to reduce my enjoyment of the series either way.
I was more elaborately nitpicking.
All these megacorps and mega celebrity wealth, preaching to you the peasant to cut back and live in squalor, while they never do or ever will do... flying around in their private planes, building their mega yachts, heating, cooling and electrifying their 30K SqFt homes... consuming luxury and environmental detrimental goods, from certain foods to their super cars .. but you, you peasant, must alter your lifestyle, not us.

Lead by example, I say. If we can do it, and a lot of us do, do our part currently, and we are expected to do it by these preachers... so should they.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I have no problem them showing the live of animals and their struggles in 2023, but the constant “it is our way of live that is taking this polar bears home away” is annoyingly preachy.

1. How is it constant? It doesn't seem "constant" to me, but that could be a discrepancy in my perception.

2. Is climate change endangering the lives of some animals out in nature? Is this a fact? If so, how is pointing out facts annoyingly preachy? Because you can't do anything about it as an individual? Do you perceive that the "constant" messaging around this topic is directed at you specifically? How is your solution of dedicating one episode to it and then ignoring it the rest of the time a better way?

sankt-Antonio

1. How is it constant? It doesn't seem "constant" to me, but that could be a discrepancy in my perception.

2. Is climate change endangering the lives of some animals out in nature? Is this a fact? If so, how is pointing out facts annoyingly preachy? Because you can't do anything about it as an individual? Do you perceive that the "constant" messaging around this topic is directed at you specifically? How is your solution of dedicating one episode to it and then ignoring it the rest of the time a better way?
I could skip that episode. :D

As someone who does what he can to reduce my CO2 footprint (living in a flat, no car, do everything by cargobike and public transportation, no flying etc) I don’t need further preaching on the topic and just want to know how animals live, mate, hunt, etc.

Top Bottom