• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 PS4 details: 1080p, "smooth" framerate, ~PC in ultra setting, at E3

belmonkey

How exactly do they test how smoothly it runs on PS4? Do they have 100 or so people going at it in a Biolab? Do they have enough people to test out the kind of situations people are likely to encounter like that?

Hellshy.

Man, the more you post the more you make it clear that you've never touched Planetside 2 or even know what it is and why it runs the way it does, what challenges that shit poses to devs who want to squeeze it onto the PS4. I don't disagree with what you believe the target for most games should be but Planetside 2 isn't most games, Planetside 2 is a competitive FPS packing a thousand or more players across a massive map with absolutely balls out fucking hectic battles. As someone who's played on and off over the years the fact that they can even hit a reliable framerate on the PS4 is something to be commended. If that's actually the case.

I'm more than fine calling 30fps 'smooth' if it's stable. It's not really 'standards dropping' when you consider what the game itself brings to the table.

I couldnt agree more. The scale of this game is amazing and if its a rock solid 30 fps on PS4 that eill impress me more so then games like ground zeroes being 60fps on consoles.I can not wait for this to xome to ps4. If they maeket this game right it can def become a system seller

How exactly do they test how smoothly it runs on PS4? Do they have 100 or so people going at it in a Biolab? Do they have enough people to test out the kind of situations people are likely to encounter like that?
All devs run bechmarks. Are you saying soe is incompetent?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
not with that CPU, it doesn't.

for all the caterwauling about GPU teraflops and GDDR5, people are overlooking what the real bottleneck is going to be this generation.
Have you read any of the tech presentations from GDC? Many of them said they were surprised at how much they could actually get out of the CPU. I'd imagine it's an issue for this game but it's sufficient for what most devs are aiming to do. Far from a major bottleneck.

Have you seen their overall track record?

I love ps2 but seriously they do not have the best history outside of EQ and even that is shaken cause of eq2s early days.
Before their games looked like shit and now they dont. Not only that they have donr a great job with the optimizations on ps2

The company was totally restructured a few years ago

Teletraan1

Banned
The developer isn't going to say the frame rates is anything other than smooth.

This is common sense. He's trying to sell the game to you. He's not to say the frame rate of this game is utter crap. We've been through this song and dance hundreds of times. You do not take a developers word on the technical performance of a game.

No need to sell anything to anyone. It is a F2P game that will die on the vine if the performance is shit because nobody will put money into a broken POS. This guy isn't selling a retail game here. So when the game comes out download it, try it out. If it is shit, uninstall it. If it is good then do whatever floats your boat regarding microtransactions. Its a pretty simple proposition.

Claneko

Sounding good. I actually just wondered the other day about this game (random, yeah) and now they've said something about it. Will definitely check it out.

Kinthalis

Banned
Would rather this game be 720p with 60 fps. Give us an option like dc univerese where you can lock framerate?

NO! You will play the game as we intend not as you desire! What are you, some mamby pamby PC gamer?! Next thing you'll tell me is that you want to downsample from 4K!

Off with your head!

funkypie

Banned
finally some PS2 PS4 news!

BMcZBkeCMAA816_.png

Tagyhag

I think 30 fps would make sense for a game like Planetside 2. Would be really impressed if they managed 60.

But man, so far I feel like Shahid should have said "Two words you're going to hear a lot on PS4: 1080p/Smooth"

Typomancer

Neo Member
A lot of folks here should try Planetside 2 again on the PC. They made the game run much, much better after an extensive optimization patch at the end of last year. I have a Radeon 7870 and an i5-3570K and get like 100 FPS on average, on the ultra settings, even during large fights.

Is going to be a free to play thing, or regular retail?

It’s going to be a free to play thing. Which is not bad in this case; Planetside 2 has one of the best models for it, the only game I’ve seen better would be Path of Exile where things that are sold are cosmetic-only.

In Planetside 2, weapons for infantry and vehicles are sold, but not the upgrades (like reinforced side armor for tanks, extended magazines for guns, et cetera—those need to be earned). All the weapons are sidegrades anyways, each one sort of having a slightly different flavor or being able to flourish at one role, like CQC or medium range support.

The other things they sell are cosmetics like camos and helmets and vehicle “trims.” A fair amount of the stuff is now player-made, which is pretty neat. I like it. Oh and there’s also the subscription which nets you a bunch of benefits but it’s really not required. Good value, in my opinion, now that it’s “All Access” and will work for all SOE games like Everquest Next.

Sorry, I better stop now, starting to sound like a spokesperson.

:)

I'm really addicted to Warframe... playing over 5 hours every night (I didn't touched Child of Light yet since I bought it because Warframe) but when Planetside 2 releases I will move to it.... I can feel that already.

I'm with you. Trying to abstain from playing on PC till it's out on PS4.

I have a lot of other games I need to finish in the meantime.

Ugh, would rather prefer a lower resolution and 60fps.

as we all know the GPU is the only element of gaming hardware where bottlenecks occur and lowering resolution will always automagically enable significant performance boosts across the board regardless of game

funkypie

Banned
A lot of folks here should try Planetside 2 again on the PC. They made the game run much, much better after an extensive optimization patch at the end of last year. I have a Radeon 7870 and an i5-3570K and get like 100 FPS on average, on the ultra settings, even during large fights.

It’s going to be a free to play thing. Which is not bad in this case; Planetside 2 has one of the best models for it, the only game I’ve seen better would be Path of Exile where things that are sold are cosmetic-only.

In Planetside 2, weapons for infantry and vehicles are sold, but not the upgrades (like reinforced side armor for tanks, extended magazines for guns, et cetera—those need to be earned). All the weapons are sidegrades anyways, each one sort of having a slightly different flavor or being able to flourish at one role, like CQC or medium range support.

The other things they sell are cosmetics like camos and helmets and vehicle “trims.” A fair amount of the stuff is now player-made, which is pretty neat. I like it. Oh and there’s also the subscription which nets you a bunch of benefits but it’s really not required. Good value, in my opinion, now that it’s “All Access” and will work for all SOE games like Everquest Next.

Sorry, I better stop now, starting to sound like a spokesperson.

this is why I don't understand people saying how crappy the performance is. Every time I've played it, my fps hasn't moved from 60fps even during large battles with settings on max.

Qassim

this is why I don't understand people saying how crappy the performance is. Every time I've played it, my fps hasn't moved from 60fps even during large battles with settings on max.

I don't think people realise how huge the optimisation patches were. They weren't your typical 5 - 10% bump. It was a significant overhaul.

People need to revisit the game (it's still a pretty good game, too) just to see what they've done with performance.

Post performance patch I'm still struggling to break 60fps @1080p with a 3.5ghz Phenom II quad, dual 7950 3GB, and 16GB DDR3-1066. The patch helped me a little with stuttering and slow down, but I typically have to be looking at the ground to get 60fps and during normal scenarios in around 45fps.

I really don't think people realize how taxing the game is on CPU specifically nor how challenging fps is going to be with this game on PS4. I know people really want 60fps but I just don't see it happening.

omonimo

Banned
Wow. I always thought steady 30 fps was smooth. Now below 60 fps everything are became shitty. People are never happy.

leadbelly

Banned
The developer also stated that Planetside 2 on Playstation 4 is like its running on PC at Ultra Setting.

If this game only runs at 30fps this is simply not true.

What difference does that make? If the game ran at 10fps on Ultra Settings, it still wouldn't change the fact it is on Ultra Settings.

Yoday

Even if it is capped at 30, I don't see that as a big deal at all for this game. PS2 isn't a twitch shooter, it is pretty slow when compared to CoD or even BF.

I just hope they are able to pull off some form of account migration system. They had mentioned wanting to do it in the past, but Sony seems to be getting in the way of it happening with Warframe. DE has had a system in place to do an account migration for awhile now, but Sony isn't giving the okay. I also hope that PS2 uses the same "Marketplace Cash" pool that DCUO is using, and they need to make sure to get an all access pass going for PS2 and DCUO on the PS4 like the PC side is getting.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Even if it is capped at 30, I don't see that as a big deal at all for this game. PS2 isn't a twitch shooter, it is pretty slow when compared to CoD or even BF.

i guess you've never played as a LA with a shotgun.

Top Bottom