• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games/Activision announce Legend of Korra downloadable for PC/XB/PS [screen]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

is it so hard to believe a grown man doesn't want to spend 5-10 hours of his time watching a season of an anime show on nickelodeon?

don't get me wrong, i watched a lot of dragon ball z when i was a kid. but now? if you can't give me a super high quality 2 hour movie, i'm out. like most adults, i have no desire to watch an entire season of an anime.

summer wars was excellent, but i don't think anything worthwhile has come out since then.

Yes, all of this is incredibly difficult to comprehend. Gotta watch out for what people think of you.

Mman235

Saw it was a licensed game and wrote it off, then I saw Platinum games are involved...

T7Hg39J.gif

Monocle

I don't care about Korra, but this is an action game by Platinum so obviously I'll have to buy it.

Glad it's coming out for 360. I don't want to buy an XB1 until I can pick up Scalebound, Halo 5, and Halo 2 Anniversary on the same day.

Thread title has so many words I never expected to see in the same sentence.

Platinum? Activision? Korra?

It being downloadable means it won't be amazingly extensive, but give me smooth bending elemental combos and I'll be extremely pleased.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just for reference, this is what it's like working on a licensed Activision game: http://www.examiner.com/article/ex-high-moon-studios-employee-on-deadpool-troubled-development

Yup exactly. We had a couple of weeks were we crunched pretty aggressively on Deadpool. Having activision cut aand cut and CUT just took its tole on so many of us. For a studio to demand that we do mandatory overtime for a project and then keep cutting so much time and money from it was ridiculous. At about halfway into development we were told that we weren't even aiming very high in terms of score.

Can you imagine working on a game where your higher ups say "yeah we're shooting for a 64 or lower" and then have them give you mandatory overtime?

monome

Price to pay for W101 bomba.

Incoming MGR2 news anyways!

It s a cash in for sure but news of Activision having PG on its radar is good and at 20€ the game it s a buy.

Activision has a good portfolio of licensed IPs.

Now...EA should consider a SW game with PG!

Ralemont

not me
Korra excelled at everything. Pro-bending, fighting, being bailed out at the last minute, etc. Then when something actually bad happens to her, she all of a sudden gains a new power. Then she's literally handed the Avatar State with no development.

"How sad, you're crying. Here you go, take this. Also, here's Mako who is here for an embrace." *SEASON OVER*

Korra was actually bad at pro-bending and air bending. She had to work hard to get good in those areas (at least, as hard as can be expected for subplots in a 13-episode season). As for character flaws (typically a sign of someone not being a Mary Sue), did we not watch the same Season 2 where she continually fucks up because of her recklessness? I mean, if you want to say Korra was not written well in Season 2 I'll agree - she was infuriating. Most of that was Relationship Korra, which is hopefully over now.

The Avatar state has never been earned, and that's a flaw going back to the original series. Aang only defeats the Fire Lord because out of sheer luck hitting his neck unlocks the Avatar state again. I thought Korra Book 2 was going to have the balls to get rid of the Avatar state forever, and it soooort of has, but not really. Hopefully from now on it won't be powerful enough to be a get-out-of-jail-free card.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
What.
The.
Fuck.

Hyped.

*insert walletbending joke here*

Guys if you want to get some avatar hype then watch the original series. It's free for prime members. Season 1 is a bit more adventures around the world and ok let's settle down and get shit done near the second half. Season 2 and 3 are pretty good though.

Korra has the animation budget and a solid beginning. But it focuses on the relationship and love a bit too much. In fact I still see the main male to be the new zuko ship to please those that didn't get what they wanted season 1.
All the episodes (both seasons) are free to watch on Nick US site too.

lolool

is it so hard to believe a grown man doesn't want to spend 5-10 hours of his time watching a season of an anime show on nickelodeon?

don't get me wrong, i watched a lot of dragon ball z when i was a kid. but now? if you can't give me a super high quality 2 hour movie, i'm out. like most adults, i have no desire to watch an entire season of an anime.

summer wars was excellent, but i don't think anything worthwhile has come out since then.
You lost me at "grown man".

Just for reference, this is what it's like working on a licensed Activision game: http://www.examiner.com/article/ex-high-moon-studios-employee-on-deadpool-troubled-development
I remember reading that a while ago, I hope that Platinum has more weight and this shit doesn't happen.

Mononoke

Banned
Korra was actually bad at pro-bending and air bending. She had to work hard to get good in those areas (at least, as hard as can be expected for subplots in a 13-episode season). As for character flaws (typically a sign of someone not being a Mary Sue), did we not watch the same Season 2 where she continually fucks up because of her recklessness? I mean, if you want to say Korra was not written well in Season 2 I'll agree - she was infuriating. Most of that was Relationship Korra, which is hopefully over now.

The Avatar state has never been earned, and that's a flaw going back to the original series. Aang only defeats the Fire Lord because out of sheer luck hitting his neck unlocks the Avatar state again. I thought Korra Book 2 was going to have the balls to get rid of the Avatar state forever, and it soooort of has, but not really. Hopefully from now on it won't be powerful enough to be a get-out-of-jail-free card.

I didn't watch Book 2 out of spite, which is why I stuck to reading synopses. And you're wrong about having to earn the Avatar State. Aang had to actually learn how to control it until Azula used a super-effective Thunder on him and he was locked out of it. You're right about the rock, though.

And wouldn't you know it, Korra was bad at airbending until she miraculously uses it perfectly in the finale due to the Power of Love. All she had to do was believe~. LOL @ "character flaws." Those were overcome in a day.

I suppose the easiest solution is to just blame Nick, but I can still mention how fucking awful Korra is as a character. I may also still be mad at how they did Asami dirty.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

*rubs eyes*

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Activision, you listen up. Give Platinum enough time and resources to make this a classic or I will find a way to sabotage Destiny.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
WHAT THE FUCK

That thread title. I have wanted a good Avatar game for the longest time, and Platinum of all people are on it? I mean it kinda sucks that it's using Korra but I can't get too crazy here. Fuck.

I didn't watch Book 2 out of spite, which is why I stuck to reading synopses. And you're wrong about having to earn the Avatar State. Aang had to actually learn how to control it until Azula used a super-effective Thunder on him and he was locked out of it. You're right about the rock, though.

And wouldn't you know it, Korra was bad at airbending until she miraculously uses it perfectly in the finale due to the Power of Love. All she had to do was believe~

she didn't use airbending perfectly, she used it as a replacement for firebending, punching air blasts everywhere instead of using the airbending "style"

Neiteio

It's downloadable and likely small-scale, and it has overbearing Activision involved. But it's still Platinum, and they're pretty adamant about maintaining a certain level of quality ("Platinum maintains its luster forever"). I don't think they're going to let anything compromise the game's quality. Heck, look at the miracles they performed given the circumstances of Metal Gear Rising.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is on the Tales from Borderlands level of weirdly exciting.

Zomba13

It's downloadable and likely small-scale, and it has overbearing Activision involved. But it's still Platinum, and they're pretty adamant about maintaining a certain level of quality ("Platinum maintains its luster forever"). I don't think they're going to let anything compromise the game's quality. Heck, look at the miracles they performed given the circumstances of Metal Gear Rising.

Yeah, if they can turn around a doomed game in a year (or something like that right?) and deliver an amazing game then I'm sure with a super low budget and an existing IP and download only they can pull off something great. It'll probably be super short and won't look great or have amazing production values but will most likely have insanely good action gameplay and hopefully some great boss fights.

Trey

Him learning to use it on command in the Book 2 finale required sacrifices he didn't actually make. So that subverts your point.

The rock and the Lion Turtle. Avatar as a franchise has a storied history of last minute trump cards and lucky, unexplained occurrences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom