• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games/Activision announce Legend of Korra downloadable for PC/XB/PS [screen]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
Korra was actually bad at pro-bending and air bending. She had to work hard to get good in those areas (at least, as hard as can be expected for subplots in a 13-episode season). As for character flaws (typically a sign of someone not being a Mary Sue), did we not watch the same Season 2 where she continually fucks up because of her recklessness? I mean, if you want to say Korra was not written well in Season 2 I'll agree - she was infuriating. Most of that was Relationship Korra, which is hopefully over now.

The Avatar state has never been earned, and that's a flaw going back to the original series. Aang only defeats the Fire Lord because out of sheer luck hitting his neck unlocks the Avatar state again. I thought Korra Book 2 was going to have the balls to get rid of the Avatar state forever, and it soooort of has, but not really. Hopefully from now on it won't be powerful enough to be a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Eh, I guess? For all intents and purposes, she really hasn't had to work that hard for the elements. Most Avatar's don't know they are the avatar until they are a young adult. Korra was able to bend as a child, therefore they put her into training much earlier. By the time she was a young adult, she pretty much knew all the elements besides Air.

And this was all before Book 1 started. SO while yeah, she had to struggle to learn that, Korra's story is
NOT about her struggle to master the elements. It's more so her inability to be the Avatar (as a unifying person). She herself is not unified, and is internally in turmoil. She struggles a lot with being at peace. That is ultimately what this show is about, and why there is so much focus on it. THAT'S fine...but not when she's constantly taking three steps back in her character growth. When her inner turmoil becomes toxic, and she becomes an insufferable person.

Aang's struggle to learn the elements was pushed by his
obligation to abandon his youth and innocence, and give himself to the world to stop Ozai. ATLA was structured in a way though, where each struggle to learn an element quickly, was impacted by the his time running out (and the struggles of him having to grow up in such a constraint).

If you ask me, Aang's story was infinitely more interesting.
His struggles were a lot more relatable. Korra...mostly just struggles with herself, and constantly fails at it. It's damn frustrating.

Season 1 of Korra was just OK, but if you watched Season 2 how can you says she isnt amazing? Those last 3 episodes had me dying, they were my favorite episodes of the whole Avatar series. I am excited for this game, Avatar is the shit. Only Anime/american anime/cartoonish action show I will watch.

Mononoke

Banned
He still had to learn how to enter it on command, which IS my point. Korra was given control over it because she cried.

Yeah, Korra getting the Avatar State was non-sense. The same way Mako being able to shoot electricity out of his hands at a whims notice is insulting. Basically, the writers have already showed us in ATLA HOW these things are done. So they aren't interested in showing it to us in Korra. They just expect you to accept they learned it at some point.

WHICH is fine (again), but fuck at least do better transitions then what we got. It comes off like everything has less weight/value.

EDIT: Maybe we shouldn't be discussing all this in this thread? We have a Korra thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842615&highlight=

Trey

Eh, I guess? For all intents and purposes, she really hasn't had to work that hard for the elements. Most Avatar's don't know they are the avatar until they are a young adult. Korra was able to bend as a child, therefore they put her into training much earlier. By the time she was a young adult, she pretty much knew all the elements besides Air.

And this was all before Book 1 started. SO while yeah, she had to struggle to learn that, Korra's story is NOT about her struggle to master the elements. It's more so her inability to be the Avatar (as a unifying person). She herself is not unified, and is internally in turmoil. She struggles a lot with being at peace. That is ultimately what this show is about, and why there is so much focus on it. THAT'S fine...but not when
she's constantly taking three steps back in her character growth. When her inner turmoil becomes toxic, and she becomes an insufferable person.

Aang's struggle to learn the elements was pushed by his
obligation to abandon his youth and innocence, and give himself to the world to stop Ozai. ATLA was structured in a way though, where each struggle to learn an element quickly, was impacted by the his time running out (and the struggles of him having to grow up in such a constraint).

If you ask me, Aang's story was infinitely more interesting.
His struggles were a lot more relatable. Korra...mostly just struggles with herself, and constantly fails at it. It's damn frustrating.

it's probably why I find Korra more relatable: struggling with oneself and the expectations others heap upon you. Being your own worst enemy.

But Aang's story was much better executed than Korra's so far,
even though I disagree that Aang ever had to abandon his youth or innocence when a super-convenient out is given to him literally in the eleventh hour.

Eh, this thread is more for the game anyway, so I'm not going to continue this here.

Needless to say, I'm hyped.

Mononoke

Banned
it's probably why I find Korra more relatable: struggling with oneself and the expectations others heap upon you. Being your own worst enemy.

even though I disagree that Aang ever had to abandon his youth or innocence when a super-convenient out is given to him literally in the eleventh hour.

Er, sure. But he still had to in the larger scheme of things.
It's not like he could enjoy his youth like other kids his age. He had no time to grow up. You see this transformation from Book 1 to 2 and then 3. And while I agree with you on the last point (about it being kind of a cop out), I think Aang's problem in the finale was actually a very mature inner conflict.

As Trey pointed out, though, Aang doesn't actually have to abandon his youth and innocence. He refuses to give up his love for Katara until she is clearly going to be killed, then does it to enter the Avatar state, then in Season 3....he's back to loving Katara. Then he gets saved by a lucky bounce, so to speak, and doesn't have to kill the Fire Lord due to energy-bending.

Aang gets to have his cake and eat it, too.

If anything, Korra has had to sacrifice more to be the Avatar, including - as of the end of Season 2 - a future with Mako. I think her self-doubt worked well in Season 1, especially her fear of Amon. In Season 2 I really don't know what they were doing with her. I won't defend it.

I agree with what both of you are saying, but I also think you are focusing on ONE thing vs looking at the bigger picture. Aang definitely had to grow up fast and sacrifice a lot. It was the main conflict that drove ATLA. So while you might not be satisfied with the conclusion to Aang's struggle, it was still more interesting than Korra's (at least how it was executed). Well, just my opinion.

I can't believe you guys really find Korra relatable.

That screen does look nice. I need more crisp cell shaded game like this in my veins.

Agreed, looks like they nailed it, more cell shaded games please.
Edit: As said below, not to the level of the Naruto games but still quite nice.

Day 1, what an awesome surprise.

Eh, this thread is more for the game anyway, so I'm not going to continue this here.

Needless to say, I'm hyped.

I've yet to see anything in the entire Avatarverse as offensive as
Energybending
. Agreed on that point, he was given such an convenient 'out' I pretty much wondered if they just ran out of money or something with that.

Mononoke

Banned
Energybending
. Agreed on that point, he was given such an convenient 'out' I pretty much wondered if they just ran out of money or something with that.

Is it any more ridiculous than
Korra having her problems fixed magically in Book 1 or 2?
At least with Aang's, it was thematically consistent. It was cheap in how they brought it in, but it wasn't insulting in the larger scheme of the show.

Zen

Banned
bu...but they're in talk for MGR2.

Bq_COvbCcAADzTU.jpg:large

I highly doubt this will take up many resources.

Also this is, equal parts weird and awesome?

Cartman86

Banned
I'm in the camp of believing this thing is being made only or Platinum to stay in business. It will be a clone or plain old garbage.

Energybending

I think it was more that they were quickly approaching an ending that would be too dark for a kid's channel. The only way to really stay within acceptable lines was to go with the out they used. The alternative (TLA spoilers)
is that Aang kills Ozai. For a show about a young kid they could not cross that line while on Nick.

dorkkaos

Maybe style switching between all 4 elememts?? Though Wan might be more appropriate for that since Korra is able to seamlessly use all 4 o.o. I trust platinum!

Hubb

While I haven't watched book 2 yet, I thoroughly enjoyed the first season of Korra. I am looking forward to
and hoping
this being good.

Mononoke

Banned
I think it was more that they were quickly approaching a ending that would be too dark for a kid's channel. The only way to really stay within acceptable lines was to go with the out they used.

I mean I totally get why people don't like it. From a writing perspective, it was cheap. But it was really fuckin cool. Like in terms of how it tied into the mythology and themes of the show, it was awesome. But yeah, in terms of Aang's internal conflict, it was definitely a missed opportunity from a drama perspective. Sucks that it was on Nick and not another channel.

Gotdamn, I'm dying to see this in motion. I really hope they don't dumb down the speed or technique to appeal to whatever young fans they think this will appeal to.

And Activision, those soul stealing suits, they better just throw money and this and stay the hell away.

Maybe style switching between all 4 elememts?? Though Wan might be more appropriate for that since Korra is able to seamlessly use all 4 o.o. I trust platinum!

I see them doing something like tying an element to X and Y (maybe even B?) and you can customize it in the options menu. They could have different jumping styles too.

Or maybe just have each element tied to a direction on the d-pad, but hopefully not.

What the hell? We just had a "choose a developer to do a game" thread and I'm 99% sure I saw someone put Platinum Games/Korra. I am almost certain because I rolled my eyes when I saw it.

EDIT: Visuals look pretty good. Not as good as those Naruto games but pretty good.

TimmiT

Just for reference, this is what it's like working on a licensed Activision game: http://www.examiner.com/article/ex-high-moon-studios-employee-on-deadpool-troubled-development

This is also pretty noticeable in the Deadpool game. They make jokes about them going overbudget and the ending is pretty sudden and not satisfying at all.

I'm not sure if Platinum is in the same situation here though, seeing how High Moon was owned by Activision and Platinum is, well, not.

What the hell? We just had a "choose a developer to do a game" thread and I'm 99% sure I saw someone put Platinum Games/Korra. I am almost certain because I rolled my eyes when I saw it.

EDIT: Visuals look pretty good. Not as good as those Naruto games but pretty good.
Well I wouldn't expect it to look as good as the Naruto games considering it's download only.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

You know what? Fuck Kill La Kill. It doesn't have anything to do with anything in this thread, yet I've seen a good half dozen people complaining that this isn't a KLK game, as though that was something to be expected or something they were owed.

I don't even hate the show; I just watched the first ep and it didn't grab me. No strong feelings one way or the other. But this nonsense? Now I say, officially Fuck That Show.

rmanthorp

You know what? Fuck Kill La Kill. It doesn't have anything to do with anything in this thread, yet I've seen a good half dozen people complaining that this isn't a KLK game, as though that was something to be expected or something they were owed.

I don't even hate the show; I just watched the first ep and it didn't grab me. No strong feelings one way or the other. But this nonsense? Now I say, officially Fuck That Show.

YEAAAAAAH 100000 TIMES THIS!

Fuck. That. Show.

I'm actually really curious why there's so many KLK requests in this thread, too.

This could be a great title. It's about time they started handing these titles off to talented devs rather than whoever was willing to take the least amount of money. If you have an IP that you think would work as a character action game, Platinum should always be #1 on the list of studios to contact.

Is Platinum the Double Fine of Japan? They've got so many games!

Nobody knocks Platinum for having great ideas/concepts but failing on the gameplay.

I don't know anything about Avatar beyond the ads and game covers I saw back in the day, but fuck it, it's Platinum, those guys forever have my money.

I'm actually really curious why there's so many KLK requests in this thread, too.

During KLK airing and especially it's ending, there was an incredible demand for a Platinum KLK due to how insane it gets. It eventually reached the ears of Kamiya and JP to where they had to ask for fans to stop asking for it because there was so much flooding their twitter feeds and whatnot.

So feelings are a bit flustered when after all the uproar, it's another anime(ish) that gets the Platinum treatment.

Jintor

I heard of this game's existence secondhand about a week ago and I just about expired from not being able to talk to anybody about it

Jarmel

Banned
Honestly I doubt we'll ever see a high budget anime game unless it's based on DBZ/One Piece/Naruro/Bleach. Mostly just due to who is financing this stuff like Kadokawa and I'm not sure if the ROI is there.

That said, I could see a Shingeki videogame at one point or another but that's really it.

It would be easier for Trigger to just do a new IP with Platinum and just provide art and designs than doing a game production based on one of Trigger's shows, similar to Ghibli with Ni no Kuni.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom