• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games/Activision announce Legend of Korra downloadable for PC/XB/PS [screen]

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
GOW is fun. People that have some sort of superiority complex over the games they play probably aren't good enough at the actual games to really feel that way.

At least from my experience

It's always strange when people rip on GoW when it seems to be the only character action game that Itagaki and Kamiya both openly praise.

I thought "character action game" was a phrase made up by stupid people to differentiate the DMC games from the GOWs. Now they're both the same thing again??

so I guess Bayonetta is "cinematic gameplay" for otaku weirdos with a waifu fetish

Stahp breh

StuBurns

Banned
I think GoW offers something very different. It's really about scope, the sense of having traversed this huge place, and the feeling of having had a profound impact on the world around you. At the end of Bayo you essentially kill God, that's pretty damn big, but that world feels like it only exists as a place for you to kill things in. In the GoW games, it feels like Greece has existed for centuries, and you're disturbing a Godly ecosystem.

I think Bayonetta has the most fun combat of any character action game, but for me it still pales as a complete package to GoW2.

EDIT: Character Action is indeed a bad genre name, but I don't think it's to separate DMC from GoW, I thought it was because it came around when we first started getting things like RE4, significant action adventure shooters, and people wanted to separate those that feature melee combat from third person shooting.

GOW is fun. People that have some sort of superiority complex over the games they play probably aren't good enough at the actual games to really feel that way.

At least from my experience

shoutouts to quake 3/cs 1.6 > * people

Stahp breh

image.php

I think God of War are good games for what they are (at least 1 and 2, which I played), they offer a good mix of hack'n slash and platforming/adventure. Level design (and plataforming) is better than in DmC/Bayonetta games (althought I think Bayo also does it quite well).

That said, I prefer 100x more Bayonetta than GoW. Is a much better and polished game IMO.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: Character Action is indeed a bad genre name, but I don't think it's to separate DMC from GoW, I thought it was because it came around when we first started getting things like RE4, significant action adventure shooters, and people wanted to separate those that feature melee combat from third person shooting.

That's not it. Those are just third person shooters. There's no confusion with vanquish

It started on here when I guess someone decided we needed to differentiate between action games made by like 3 different developers and everything else

I mean just look at this crap

http://www.reddit.com/r/TwoBestFriendsPlay/comments/1zf23w/what_is_character_action_exactly/

StuBurns

Banned
That's not it. Those are just third person shooters. There's no confusion with vanquish

It started on here when I guess someone decided we needed to differentiate between action games made by like 3 different developers and everything else

I mean just look at this crap

http://www.reddit.com/r/TwoBestFriendsPlay/comments/1zf23w/what_is_character_action_exactly/
Third person shooters kind of came later though, that's my point. I don't remember people calling RE4 a third person shooter, it really seemed to come from Gears, after character action was already established.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Third person shooters kind of came later though, that's my point. I don't remember people calling RE4 a third person shooter, it really seemed to come from Gears, after character action was already established.

That doesn't make any sense though

Since the majority of games people lump into this category weren't even out at RE4's release, or were extremely recent.

and none of the players that I know that played the games of that era even use the term. OG DMC3 and 4 players use action game. Hell even most bayonetta players I talk to still use action game.

It's just unnecessary and confusing forum dweller jargon. I only see it from the type of people on here that think GOW is for "frat douches" and still bitch about DmC

StuBurns

Banned

Since the majority of games people lump into this category weren't even out at RE4's release, or were extremely recent.

and no players that I know that played the games of that era even use the term. OG DMC3 and 4 players use action game. Hell even most bayonetta players I talk to still use action game.

It's just unnecessary and confusing forum dweller jargon
It's much older than Bayonetta.

Unnecessary certainly, I don't know what's confusing about it though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Why are we arguing about terminology now? I keep on seeing the thread bumped with this nonsense when I want more info as to how the game plays.

I wasn't aware liking God of War made me a "frat douche", especially since I've never been part of a fraternity and I believe I'm a pretty fantastic person.

I am genuinely shocked by this new discovery.

Lijik

I wasn't aware liking God of War made me a "frat douche", especially since I've never been part of a fraternity and I believe I'm a pretty fantastic person.

I am genuinely shocked by this new discovery.

I also wasnt aware using the term Character Action Game made me the type of person who calls people frat douches for liking GoW. Learn something new every day I guess.

CamHostage

I still want to see what the 3DS version looks like. If they got Platinum to make the console version maybe they got Julian Gollop to make the 3DS version.

Unfortunately, unless they made a major talent acquisition for this project, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for lightning to strike twice. Activision got PlatinumGames for the console game, but they got the guys behind The Trash Pack and Fancy Nancy Tea Party Time for 3DS.

...BUT, it is worth understanding that for independent game development studios, until you can make your own calls, you take the jobs you're given and you accept the schedule and budget that you're saddled with, and your reputation is made by what you can sleep with at night under the size of the roof you can afford... until a chance comes along to change your fortunes. Maybe this might be that shot for this team. They had it once before when they were making Dragon Ball RPGs for GBA and those turned out pretty good (thought that was over 10 years ago now, the good designers on that may be long gone,) and even though the company has been shoving out simple girly games and some licensed dreck (including one game I won't shame them here by mentioning...) they might finally be in a position to rise to the occasion again for a major project like Korra.

Or, not. We shall see.

llamarawk

Loved MGR Revengence and also Avatar back in the day so will get this probably. I've watched the first 5 or so episodes of Korra but havent been engaged by any of the characters. Does it get any better?

Loved MGR Revengence and also Avatar back in the day so will get this probably. I've watched the first 5 or so episodes of Korra but havent been engaged by any of the characters. Does it get any better?

Not for the 1st season atleast, it just gets worse. I finished Book 1 and was just sad; people weren't exaggerating about how bad it is( though that scene was indeed great).

I couldn't bring myself to continue onto book 2, but atleast book 3 looks to be a return to form, hopefully.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The gameplay is far superior in Vanquish/Bayonetta than western similar games. For example Bayonetta > God of War. Which is just "cinematic gameplay" for frat douches.

Bayonetta is a way better game than GoW but your "anti-cool" rhetoric is just so cringeworthy.

Neiteio

I know I can't play GoW without getting hammered drunk and yelling "DUDE! BRO! DUDE!" whilst simultaneously crushing the beer can against my backwards-cap-clad head (yes, the same can I'm drinking)

Ralemont

not me

Not really, but at ~13-14 eps and 23 mins per ep it's not a huge time investment to get caught up to the game, anyway.

(By "not really" I'm taking into account that I love the first season but don't think it gets better than that from there on).

Lasty95

Not really, but at ~13-14 eps and 23 mins per ep it's not a huge time investment to get caught up to the game, anyway.

(By "not really" I'm taking into account that I love the first season but don't think it gets better than that from there on).

I thought the first series was really excellent.

Haven't finished the second, but they did something to the animation which put me off.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So this show is getting ripped off of TV and going to be released online only, week by week.

Platinum cannot catch a break.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

and none of the players that I know that played the games of that era even use the term. OG DMC3 and 4 players use action game. Hell even most bayonetta players I talk to still use action game.

It's just unnecessary and confusing forum dweller jargon. I only see it from the type of people on here that think GOW is for "frat douches" and still bitch about DmC

So, the naming convention of a distinct subset category of an overarching genre is that offensive to your sensibilities? And the irony is that your frustration leads you to making statements as ignorant as those you're criticizing.

Anyway, back to a conversation that actually matters, I'm looking forward to seeing what this game holds. I'm not familiar with the source, really, but Activision definitely brought out the big guns here. I'm wondering if they'll be at NYCC to promote.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So, the naming convention of a distinct subset category of an overarching genre is that offensive to your sensibilities?

Yes the pointless term bothers me. But mostly because I hate the community that created it at this point and hate that I have to interact with them because we happen to like the same games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom