• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ushiwaka

Luka_Bayo2.png

Oh my god what the hell happened to Luka? :/ Poor Cheshire :( Don't like his design in Bayo 2 at all. In fact, I think Bayonetta and Rodin's design in Bayo 2 are the only ones I actually like.

Lernaean

Banned
Oh my god what the hell happened to Luka? :/ Poor Cheshire :( Don't like his design in Bayo 2 at all. In fact, I think Bayonetta and Rodin's design in Bayo 2 are the only ones I actually like.

Actually i and quite a few others here, have expressed that Luka looks awesome as well in Bayo 2. I don't know why you don't like him.
I love all the new designs. Jeanne, who is my favorite, looks awesome too.

Lernaean

Banned
Man, fuck that Bayo 2 DF thread.
Full of people that never contributed in any Bayo/PG thread, saying how they will wait for bargain bin (like they were getting it anyway), full of hyperbole and fake concern.
I have promised myself that i'll only open threads about news on games i care about and PG community, and every time, like an addict, i read all the shitpost threads.

popyea

Everyone has their own opinions, but his design in Bayo 1 is much more better imo.

500px-Rucca_JP_1920_1200.jpg

That hat and glasses look ridicules on him in Bayo 2.

Yup :|

He's not wearing glasses. :p

I like it personally. But i've always loved those spanish hats. I usually point them out whenever I see them on tv shows or movies.

I don't like Jeanne's new look as much as her old one, but I get that she needed to contrast with the new Bayonetta. The fact that everyone has changed their appearance a bit is pretty cool and justifies some of the weirder changes I think.

Ushiwaka

He's not wearing glasses. :p

I think its a temporary thing, but he does wear glasses at least at some point in the game :p

:/

I like it personally. But i've always loved those spanish hats. I usually point them out whenever I see them on tv shows or movies.

I don't like Jeanne's new look as much as her old one, but I get that she needed to contrast with the new Bayonetta. The fact that everyone has changed their appearance a bit is pretty cool and justifies some of the weirder changes I think.

Yeah, its no big deal. ;D It's just I like character designs in Bayo 1 so much that some of the new designs feel a little weird to me :D

K-A-Deman

I think its a temporary thing, but he does wear glasses at least at some point in the game :p

:/

Yeah, its no big deal. ;D It's just I like character designs in Bayo 1 so much that some of the new designs feel a little weird to me :D

Oh, hadn't seen any of the newer trailers. Those glasses are pretty goofy :p

THose kinda look like little Cereza's glasses. Or at the very least, they have an enchantment that can see the other side (How else could he swing in on a rope to catch Bayonetta?)

Man, fuck that Bayo 2 DF thread.
Full of people that never contributed in any Bayo/PG thread, saying how they will wait for bargain bin (like they were getting it anyway), full of hyperbole and fake concern.
I have promised myself that i'll only open threads about news on games i care about and PG community, and every time, like an addict, i read all the shitpost threads.

Lol, the transparency of it all is amazing. I don't care, I am keeping out of it. I need to stay unbanned for platinum week in October.

Nemmy

Yeah, Rodin's looking good and Bayo's redesign grew on me to the point where I prefer it to the original (though those shoulder pads are a bit too much). Black with silver, with those vintage cameos on guns and silvery figures on her heels... plain awesome. And her new haircut looks pretty, too.
But all the others are pretty meh. Jeanne lost her cool elegance from the original (yeah yeah, I get she's supposed to be a biker) and Luka is just WTF.

With that said I can't wait to play as Bayonetta in that BITCHIN' white dress. There's no way it's not gonna be unlockable.

Ushiwaka

That IGN video/article was really awesome. I was smiling through the whole video :) You could see Kamiya's love and passion for video games :)

P.S:

Walking through the office lobby every morning, Kamiya is greeted by a literal reminder of this uncompromising commitment to excellence, on a plaque plastered to the wall.

“Platinum maintains it’s luster forever.”

Tecg0mU.gif

Lernaean

Banned
That IGN video/article was really awesome. I was smiling through the whole video :) You could see Kamiya's love and passion for video games :)

P.S:

Tecg0mU.gif

/salute.
Yeah, great video. I've never seen such a fine PCB collection before. I have a stash of my own, but that was just crazy.
I really love the passion in this guy, he is imo the most important gaming figure of the newer generation.

IGN interview of Kamiya was really nice. It covered lot of interesting things about Kamiya :) Hope they do stuff like this more often.

Man I love how the Japanese devs give their interviews, like explaining their personal experience & inspirations with games they played. I personally like Kamiya, Itagaki and Miyazaki(Dark Souls) interviews. Itagaki interviews used to be so fun, hope he gets back on track with his new game :x

Coda

It's hyperbole. Typical GAF WiiU hating hyperbole.
W101 has framerate issues, it often drops when there is too much happening on screen, but when there is too much happening on screen, there is TOO MUCH happening on screen.
So yeah, you may even have 60->40 drops, but that's that, and with 70+ heroes, fighting with 3 unite-morphs, juggling a giant robot while other grunts are closing in, and a dozen effects on screen and pieces of armor being torn off from the robot and stuff like that... trust me, the last thing in your mind will be the drop.
Also PG must keep its tradition of not having one 60fps console game.

Yup, Vorken fights had their problems, but then again, they were the most (HW) demanding fights.

I agree with you, at the end of the day the game for the most part runs beautifully. I'm also used to shmups by Cave and games that use frame rate slowdown as a stylistic technique which adds a certain tension to their games.

I think from all the footage we've seen of Bayonetta 2 though, my analysis is that game looks stable as a

horse-stable-photos-54.jpg

Watching gifs of this game make you excited about that certain kind of beautiful motion and animations.

tumblr_nbehkdY01r1s8ouhxo1_500.gif

Bayo 2 basically running like W101 means it'll be tolerable for me. Tearing bugs me, not so much framerate as I'm old and my timing is shit anyway. Disappointing to hear, but not surprising,

In general though I don't even bother reading Bayo 2 threads around here. I don't know what that game does to people's brains, I swear it's like fucking Pontypool

Lernaean

Banned
Bayo 2 basically running like W101 means it'll be tolerable for me. Tearing bugs me, not so much framerate as I'm old and my timing is shit anyway. Disappointing to hear, but not surprising,

Maybe i'm reading your post completely wrong, but if you are worried about tearing in Bayo 2, there is none. Both games have vsync.
Also the DF analysis clearly stated that the framerate in Bayo 2 is a lot better than in W101, which was already perfectly playable for me.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well it basically said it ran about as well as the original on the 360 so that's serviceable enough although I was expecting some improvements there but considering the interviews were they said the W101 and Bayo 2 team were trying to out crazy each other this was probably inevitable.

Lernaean

Banned
As long as I don't die because of it, I won't complain. Well, I'll complain, but I'll deal with it.

I've never died in W101 because of it.
I have died because of my incompetence, but never because of the framerate, so i wouldn't be too scared i will in Bayo 2.

meh, framerate drops are the norm for Platinum. I don't get bothered by them anymore. I've learned to become accustomed to them and my reaction time hasn't suffered.

Nemmy

I just can't wait for the game to finaly release, so all this bullshit talk that started 2 years ago can stop.

I'll be the cynical one this time and say that it will just be the beginning of another kind of bullshit: people who never played the game and never had any interest in it getting clad in their armors and white knighting against its perceived sexism like there's no tomorrow.

Ushiwaka

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/09/16/platinum-games-has-never-made-a-game-like-scalebound

This got me both hyped AND worried.

Kamiya doing something new hypes me, but MS interfering in the development worries me. PG already work fast. I mean REALLY fast. We're talking talking MGS:R out of development hell and turning it into MGR:R in 1.5 years fast. Now if MS is pushing them to work even faster, it worries me. The realistic (art?) style was also kinda worrying.

Let's just wait for gameplay footage and hope the game turn out like another Kamiya/Platinum classic.
It seems he joined Desperado after Bayo1

1366161749449.gif

Lol! yeah he does kinda look like Sam XD

Nemmy

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/09/16/platinum-games-has-never-made-a-game-like-scalebound

Kamiya doing something new hypes me, but MS interfering in the development worries me. PG already work fast. I mean REALLY fast. We're talking talking MGS:R out of development hell and turning it into MGR:R in 1.5 years fast. Now if MS is pushing them to work even faster, it worries me. The realistic (art?) style was also kinda worrying.

Let's just wait for gameplay footage and hope the game turn out like another Kamiya/Platinum classic.

Well, they DID say MS "believes in their vision", maybe it's more than just PR bullshit? The way I see it, to hire a studio like PG and then to interfere with everything they do and enforce things to be your way makes no sense, from the business perspective as well as any other; but then again I've seen enough ridiculous business decisions in my life to know it's entirely possible.

Platinum doing completely new stuff gets me mad hyped. I love character action more than any other genre, but I wanted them to do something different for a long time now. Can't wait to hear more about the game
and rob a bank to afford an Xbone for it
And personally, I don't mind realistic style. It's not mutually exclusive with art direction, after all :)

Ushiwaka

Well, they DID say MS "believes in their vision", maybe it's more than just PR bullshit? The way I see it, to hire a studio like PG and then to interfere with everything they do and enforce things to be your way makes no sense, from the business perspective as well as any other; but then again I've seen enough ridiculous business decisions in my life to know it's entirely possible.

Platinum doing completely new stuff gets me mad hyped. I love character action more than any other genre, but I wanted them to do something different for a long time now. Can't wait to hear more about the game
and rob a bank to afford an Xbone for it
And personally, I don't mind realistic style. It's not mutually exclusive with art direction, after all :)

MS actually made some ridiculous business decisions before. How about buying Rare and making them do kinect games? I don't have anything against MS, I'm just saying they have a history of doing ridicules things.
I think the game is still an action game. What Kamiya said at E3 reveal (bringing action games to a new scale) kinda makes me wonder if the game focuses on big fights. like one giant dragon at a time. I dunno. The wait to see more of his game is irritating -__-

I just wish after the gameplay footage we all gather here and talk about how awesome the game is :)

Lernaean

Banned
I'll be the cynical one this time and say that it will just be the beginning of another kind of bullshit: people who never played the game and never had any interest in it getting clad in their armors and white knighting against its perceived sexism like there's no tomorrow.

Aw darling, you still have not learned how my mind works.
Ofc it is possible that they start all over when the game releases, but i will be too busy playing the GOTY to actually care about whatever bullshit anyone posts on the internet.
Let the kids play with mud while we play with diamonds.

I just wish after the gameplay footage we all gather here and talk about how awesome the game is :)

Amen.

Uraizen

Banned

Lol! yeah he does kinda look like Sam XD

“Microsoft is very hands on and they check everything while you’re working together,”

Oh balls.

Feindflug

From JP Kellams twitter account:

@PG_jp
Doing press for #Scalebound today at TGS! Nothing new to show yet, but plenty of hints coming in the interviews.

I guess it's better than nothing. :p

From JP Kellams twitter account:

@PG_jp
Doing press for #Scalebound today at TGS! Nothing new to show yet, but plenty of hints coming in the interviews.

I guess it's better than nothing. :p

Great. Was itching to know about that game.

Man this gen sucks.. Bayo 2, scalebound and bloodbrone releasing in 3 diff consoles :( as if first party exclusives aren't enough.

Coda

Don't worry, i'm a peasant too, i just prefer consoles over food. It works so far, i have all consoles (except X1 for now) and i'm still alive :p

I had an Xbox One and sold it but I did enjoy the beastness of it. Scalebound will def be a determining factor if I buy it down the line. But yeah then Bloodborne on the PS4 is tough, but it looks so good.

Either way having a Wii U with the best tools at hand (IE the pro controller), and Bayonetta 2 in a month will be all worth it.

Ushiwaka

So apparently Kamiya said Scalebound is about powerful and huge monsters doing battle on each other, and that’s the most important pillar of the game. He's being so vague its annoying :/ Couldn't find a complete translation of his interviews, and the site which translated some of it is banned here :/ I'll make a thread if I find the complete translation.

And according to IGN, the character we saw in the trailers is the only playable character. And the game may have multiplayer. this is also interesting:

It is sort of related to that earlier answer that I gave, but if we take Bayonetta as a pure action game, I think the overall structure of the overall game is, somewhat to us, becoming more of an old-school-type stage-clearer go on to the next stage, next stage and then there is always that boss at the end to clear the game. And if you want to go back, you can’t. That was a cycle of that game, for Scalebound were not looking to build it [that way].

IGN

Feindflug

There is an article about Scalebound at Eurogamer, some interesting quotes:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-18-scalebound-is-unlike-anything-platinum-games-has-done-before

Perhaps the most revealing is that this will be a different type of game for Platinum Games, a step or two removed from the slick, fast-paced and hard-edged action of Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and The Wonderful 101. "The main characteristics of the games I've put out require reflexes, intuitiveness," says Kamiya. "It might seem like they're more for advanced and skilled players. How does that change if we've got these gigantic beasts and monsters. It's not really that plus the monsters - that's not how I'm looking at it.

"To be exact, this idea, this game concept was not created for the Xbox One," said Inaba. "It's a concept we've been working on for a very long time. It's something Microsoft believed in, and saw the vision that Hideki Kamiya brought to this concept as a director. They saw promise, and they believed in the product, so there was commitment - and they were committed to make that investment in this creation. To us, with that agreement is that we want to support the hardware with the best content possible."

"As the director of the game, I want to add one thing," said Kamiya. "This concept has been with me even before Bayonetta, even before we started working on that game. It's really from the early days of Platinum Games. Fast forward to today, if you think of the various market conditions, where the industry is headed and what's trending, to be able to have this opportunity, to work on an original IP exclusive to one platform, it's a very rare and precious opportunity. For me, as a game director that's focussed on making this game happen, I look at it as a great opportunity and a challenge. I really want to make sure I deliver to people's expectations."

Top Bottom