• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Magazine gives FFXII a 10; fifth perfect score in mag's history

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
bluemax said:
So what you're saying is:

1. She has no credibility as an objective reviewer and is only giving us a fanboy rose colored glasses opinion.

2. New Games Journalism has failed because we're still getting non objective fan boy biased reviews.

Makes sense to me.

That is not what New Games Journalism is at all. "New Games Journalism" should speak to the experience--the "feeling"-- or even the aesthetic impression of a game as opposed to "Old Games Journalism" which is more like a buyer's guide.

Neither attempts to be "nonobjective."

Red Scarlet

Porridge said:
And a message to Red Scarlet who first charmed this thread with his "She's a poser." Her entire top 5 games list for the issue were Final Fantasy games. If that's not a fan (and a great person to review the game), then I dunno what is.

My statement still stands, and I disagree with 'only people who have played FF games should review FF games'. I'm a humongous FF freak, and I constantly tell people I am probably one of the worst people to ask for an opinion about the quality of the single games in comparison to each other. Why? Because of what all I've done with them, even the ones I dislike or outright think are crap I am able to play them anyway because of what they are.

That's why I don't think someone like her is a great person to review the game, she loves the entire series so it's going to not be very helpful to others.

Hunahan

Banned
bluemax said:
So what you're saying is:

1. She has no credibility as an objective reviewer and is only giving us a fanboy rose colored glasses opinion.

Makes sense to me.

I've always kind of remained on the fence about this kind of reaction, mainly because I'm not sure how "objective" the audience is by comparison.

As someone who is a fan of Final Fantasy's past games, I find it more benefitial to read how someone who thinks the way I do reacts to the new changes and installment than someone who was either indifferent or negative towards the series up until now.

Anyways, I don't know this reviewer, or the magazine, at all, really, so I'm not trying to make a judgement one way or the other on the statements. I'm just saying that sometimes, an opinion from an equal perspective is better than one of complete "objectivity" when dealing with entertainment that will largely some down to personal taste.

For me, the knowledge that she is a fan of the Final Fantasy series before this installment actually helps to make the review more relevant.

Diablos

Red Scarlet said:
That's why I don't think someone like her is a great person to review the game, she loves the entire series so it's going to not be very helpful to others.
Just about all the major FF reviews are going to be giving the game basically a whole lot of praise and hardly any criticism. That's the way it has always been. Gamers who are "smart" enough to think outside of the box typically don't care for those kind of reviews anyway. I for one certainly don't really care all that much about what she has to say. If I play it and think it's as good as everyone said she's telling us it is, then I'll draw that conclusion based on what I thought when I'm done. If not, then I won't. Either way, I don't care about the stupid review. It's hard to talk about gameplay in a way that everyone will understand because we all will think differently of it. Stuff like the soundtrack, graphics, etc. is much easier to review but really not that influential in this case.

I haven't honestly read any reviews, and while I did skim through the first post in your FF12 thread, I didn't seriously read it from start to end. Nor did I pay attention to the previews/"hands on" articles with the Japanese version explaining stuff. I just want to play this game for what it is, and not read any reviews since I know I'm going to be buying it regardless.

Andonuts

bluemax said:
2. New Games Journalism has failed because we're still getting non objective fan boy biased reviews.

If that review was really new games journalism it wouldn't be a review at all... the point of NGJ is to get around assigning numbered scores and giving objective, qualitative descriptions and evaluations of games.

I know she's written a few pieces for the gamer's quarter which would qualify as NGJ... but this is a straight up review. Whether or not its biased is a point of debate I guess.

I mean it's worth noting that FAMITSU gave this game a perfect score as well. Could it be that Final Fantasy XII is actually just really really good?

Charles

Andonuts said:
Could it be that Final Fantasy XII is actually just really really good?

Lies! This is a game that most of you haven't played and swear that 'it's not that good, honest'. :lol

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
The question I have is: The game it's a 10/10 from people who thought that FVIII ~ FFX-2 we're masterpieces but never played a true FF (FFVI), or can we, the people that played trought the series until FFVII and couldn't stand FFVIII~FFX-2, expect a 10/10 for us?

If this is a 10/10 I would be happy to buy a PS2 to play my beloved DQVIII and a good FFXII. Will wait to Gaffers' reviews I think.

what happened to the official FFXII thread? i wanted to make a post in that one but since this is still active and on the first page... i have a question about the game for those who've already played it:

would you say the game is "episodic", i.e. you can pretty much sit down and play for an hour it it'll conclude a scenario? i swore up and down i wouldnt buy this game because of time, but if it sort of follows suit in X-2 in terms of giving the story in spurts i guess i could take out about an hour a day to play this without butchering my GPA or anything

anyway, i'm pretty stoked about this. this is like the defining moment of the franchise

Red Scarlet

Official thread got stickied earlier today. It's not episodic like how you described. Some places can take longer than an hour to get through, especially if you look around/don't have a map/don't know where you are going. So you may have to stretch out those playtimes.

mollipen

MegaTen said:
:lol Did you go crawling back to Halverson or did he beg for you to come back?

I'll take option C: neither.

Andonuts said:
If that review was really new games journalism it wouldn't be a review at all... the point of NGJ is to get around assigning numbered scores and giving objective, qualitative descriptions and evaluations of games.

Yup, that's what makes NGJ so fabulous... "hey, I'm going to write a 'review' that's just eight pages of me babbling because I can! And then I'll call it a new trend in video game reviewing in order to make it seem like my writing is worth a damn!"

Seth C

So I've not really played a Final Fantasy game all the way through since 7, and haven't really loved one since 4. Should I pick this up?

Red Scarlet

By the hammer of Thor, I'd give it a rental if you are really unsure about it. You'd probably get to a point in the game w/ a rental that you'd have an idea if you want to keep playing or not.

Seth C

Red Scarlet said:
By the hammer of Thor, I'd give it a rental if you are really unsure about it. You'd probably get to a point in the game w/ a rental that you'd have an idea if you want to keep playing or not.

Yeah, but I'd also be out about $8, so if I did like it I would have increased the cost of the game from $38 to $46, and the only reason I'm even considering buying it is the price. Hmmm...

Shapermc

So, like, wow.

This is a really impressive thread.

I mean, where else can you find dozens of people making claims about things they know nothing about and stating error as fact. This is a pretty spectacular thread.

Heather is doing her job; Dave obviously supports her opinion and stance on things. The folks at Play have a good handle on things, and Heather is a pretty damn amazing writer. I say that if you read the review, get a feel for the game, and want to play to get that same feeling then do it. Reading three quotes and then bashing not only the magazine but the writer and editor is a fairly outstanding feat. Congratulations NeoGAF, you live up to my expectations yet again!

Top Bottom