• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Magazine gives FFXII a 10; fifth perfect score in mag's history

I looked at last month's issue and yes, Just Cause for the XBOX 360 scored either an 8 or an 8.5. I can't remember, and quite frankly don't want to remember.

For those who have played the demo...you have to understand.

Play giving Just Cause an 8.5 = any other game magazine giving it a 10.

Porridge

T-1000_Model3 said:
What were the other 4 games that got perfect scores?

I don't know, and I don't think it would be fair to put them all side by side, because they don't do group reviews in the magazine like EGM and Famitsu. Plus different reviewers review different games

MegaTen

Banned
shidoshi said:
Damn, you must have a spy in the offices or something, because you've figured out EXACTLY how we work. We might as well close up shop now.
:lol Did you go crawling back to Halverson or did he beg for you to come back?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Aeana said:
All games are flawed, and I would personally never score a game a perfect ten

10/10 isn't 'perfect', its 'amazingly good'.
If you never use it then just have a scale of 1-9.

Red Scarlet

Yoboman said:
This game should reconfirm alot of faith. I can see why JRPG fanboys, or those who've had no other RPG experience but FF wouldn't like it, those with a broader taste should absolutely adore this game.

Thing is, I was brought up with RPG's in general with Ultima 3-5, and I don't adore the game at all. However, I wouldn't fault anyone that loves this game. I think that's a big problem with this forum, I don't personally like the game but I don't dislike anyone that has a blast; it seems as though you have to absolutely love the game or you are a vehement hater.

I spent my $100 on it like previous games, and I personally did not enjoy it overall after I was 3/4 through. Before that, I had a lot of fun with it, although I did not find it very Final Fantasy like..I think as an FF it is a horrible game. As a game in general, I found it enjoyable for the most part. So I don't know where I fall in. I just don't want people to have overly high expectations or overly low expectations, either. As a game, it wasn't bad. As an entry into the series of Final Fantasy, I found it very poor and thought it should have been titled something else.

Yoboman

Red Scarlet said:
Thing is, I was brought up with RPG's in general with Ultima 3-5, and I don't adore the game at all. However, I wouldn't fault anyone that loves this game. I think that's a big problem with this forum, I don't personally like the game but I don't dislike anyone that has a blast; it seems as though you have to absolutely love the game or you are a vehement hater.

I spent my $100 on it like previous games, and I personally did not enjoy it overall after I was 3/4 through. Before that, I had a lot of fun with it, although I did not find it very Final Fantasy like..I think as an FF it is a horrible game. As a game in general, I found it enjoyable for the most part. So I don't know where I fall in. I just don't want people to have overly high expectations or overly low expectations, either. As a game, it wasn't bad. As an entry into the series of Final Fantasy, I found it very poor and thought it should have been titled something else.
Final Fantasy, to me, was always about a completely different experience to the previous, new everything - and that it should feel like a new game. I find it inherently odd that people can be so clingy to traditions within the FF series for this reason.

Red Scarlet

Well, I personally adhere to the "a series is similar to the rest, new stuff should be a new titled game" doctrine.

But being the FF whore that I am, I will buy it regardless, as long as it is offline (going by my nearly 50 FF games in my possession).

I don't mind things being different, but once it hits a certain degree of difference, it just doesn't seem like an FF anymore. That's how I played through FF10, despite the "wrong" controls; I just thought of it as a non-FF game until I got the International version. 12 seems to fit in that category as well, for me. But despite how much I don't like it as an entry in the series, it is in the series, and I can play it every now and then due to me being an FF whore.

Hope you liked my use of whore, shuri. :)

Yoboman

Whatever floats your boat. If it was my way, I'd change FF even more. I wish RPG's had a broader range of manouevarability for one, I'd make the characters able to jump, climb and interact with the enviroments more. Make them be able to speak to other characters, even if it's as simple as a Bully-like positive or negative comment, or at best a KOTOR like system.

I guess I can empathise though, I kinda feel the same about Zelda.

Red Scarlet

Well, you could jump around a little bit in X2, and a different series, Dragon Quest, let you talk to party members in parts 7 and 8 (and the remake of 4).

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Red Scarlet said:
Well, you could jump around a little bit in X2, and a different series, Dragon Quest, let you talk to party members in parts 7 and 8 (and the remake of 4).

You could talk with your party members in Phantasy Star II as well IIRC. And Wild Arms 4 too at certain spots. I'm sure there are probably a number of examples :p Hell, I even recall you could talk with the character currently following you in Suikoden V. I wish all RPGs had this function in one way or another though, just to make it possible to ask your party members what you're supposed to do and where to go next. Some games are just too vague, and it's easy to forget after being away from an RPG for months. :)

P90

Red Scarlet said:
I was commenting on how uninsightful I found the comments in the review you quoted as "selling you on the game".

I admit, I'm a bigger sap: I'm buying the collectors edition due the metal case and the bonus CD. The game is a little secondary.

MegaTen

Banned
The interview with Hitoshi Sakamoto is alone worth the price of the bonus DVD! The rest is bonus. :D Well, I shouldn't go that far, but the DVD is pretty decent from what I watched so far.

Porridge said:
I don't know, and I don't think it would be fair to put them all side by side, because they don't do group reviews in the magazine like EGM and Famitsu. Plus different reviewers review different games

Yeah thats true. I was more curious about what games got the grand perfect scores is all. I like the publication but they do tend to give out some high scores,doesn't really bother me though,those guys love games,nothing wrong with that. I like the magazine but honestly I'm terrible about picking any of them up nowdays,the internet has spoiled me.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Gattsu25 said:
You're the only one acting superior in this thread :(

It's your DUTY to quell the praise for this game, we get it. now pipe down and make a Baldur's Gate 2 FAQ

OMFG! Don’t bring the greatest game ever into this, lest you want to be set upon by the BFF…… Bioware Fanboy Force

nitewulf

i'm not feeling the game. from the battle system to the artstyle...and a female reviewer's opinion about the manlyness of a feminine hero is completely disposable, as far as im concerned.

JayDubya

Banned
Do The Mario said:
OMFG! Don’t bring the greatest game ever into this, lest you want to be set upon by the BFF…… Bioware Fanboy Force

QFT. I won't say greatest ever, I'll just say personal top 10 and leave it at that. I'm not sure where I'd subjectively place it in a hierarchy of Planescape: Torment, Alpha Centauri, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI, LoZ: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Bros. 3, and so on.

*Looks lovingly at his rather worn Baldur's Gate II: Collector's Edition box in the corner of the room*

Diablos

Red Scarlet said:
I hope the extras are worth the extra cost for you.
It's an extra $10. Big deal. And yes it's worth it to me, I've been waiting for FFXII for years now. Get used to $60 for games anyway; next-gen is here. Also, certainly this is not as expensive as importing and then buying the North American version when it comes out as well. :p

And as far as your main argument goes, I understand your frustration. But I'm afraid you're blurring the lines between rabid Matsuno fanboys and those of us who are simply, y'know, excited for the release of this game. It's almost here, people are allowed to get excited. I definitely agreed with you before when everyone was going nuts while the North American release was still so far away, but it's to be expected now.

Hunahan

Banned
I'm pretty torn about whether to be excited or not, honestly.

I really love the old-style FF games, and really "traditional" JRPGs in general, so it's kind of tough for me to watch the change. In a way, I would have rather just had "more of the same," since I know that's something I really like, and honestly - there aren't many people getting that forumla right anymore if you ask me.

Still, I'm not totally hood-drawn about new experiences, and have enjoyed fun-but-different WRPGs as well, so I think the conclusion that this could be a very fun game, but not exactly what "Final Fantasy" fans were looking for is something that might apply.

Anyways, I guess we'll just wait and see. I'll give it a chance before making up my mind one way or another.

P90

Hunahan said:
I'm pretty torn about whether to be excited or not, honestly.

I really love the old-style FF games, and really "traditional" JRPGs in general, so it's kind of tough for me to watch the change. In a way, I would have rather just had "more of the same," since I know that's something I really like, and honestly - there aren't many people getting that forumla right anymore if you ask me.

Still, I'm not totally hood-drawn about new experiences, and have enjoyed fun-but-different WRPGs as well, so I think the conclusion that this could be a very fun game, but not exactly what "Final Fantasy" fans were looking for is something that might apply.

Anyways, I guess we'll just wait and see. I'll give it a chance before making up my mind one way or another.

I am torn about the game, but the presentation and the collectors edition was too much. I figured for $10 extra bucks I get alot more than just a non-traditional FF. I'll give it a try. I'm not expecting 10/10, but about 7.5 to 8/10-like XS1 and 3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
P90 said:
I am torn about the game, but the presentation and the collectors edition was too much. I figured for $10 extra bucks I get alot more than just a non-traditional FF. I'll give it a try. I'm not expecting 10/10, but about 7.5 to 8/10-like XS1 and 3.

:( worst ff ever

Diablos

HolyStar said:
FFXII will surpass or match the greatness of FFT haters be damned!!!
"Surrender or die in obscurity" is like one of the best lines in a game ever.

Oh yeah, FFT is an amazing game.

Red Scarlet

Diablos said:
It's an extra $10. Big deal. And yes it's worth it to me, I've been waiting for FFXII for years now. Get used to $60 for games anyway; next-gen is here. Also, certainly this is not as expensive as importing and then buying the North American version when it comes out as well. :p

And as far as your main argument goes, I understand your frustration. But I'm afraid you're blurring the lines between rabid Matsuno fanboys and those of us who are simply, y'know, excited for the release of this game. It's almost here, people are allowed to get excited. I definitely agreed with you before when everyone was going nuts while the North American release was still so far away, but it's to be expected now.

Compared to Circuit City and other places, it's an extra $22. I just hope those that buy the LE find it worth their money.

I am rather aware of who fits where in your grouping. :)

Andonuts

I know the girl who wrote this review. She's a great writer and has very good taste in games but is definitely a huge squeenix fan... still her impressions on the game seem pretty accurate based on what I've heard of the japanese version and the various demos I've played.

Play overrates everything of course. (They gave Nanobreaker like an 8 and called the swordplay "poetic"... LOL). Still I think this might be a case in which they aren't.

Red Scarlet

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Why would you ever care?

Because I'd rather people be happy about the stuff over feeling ripped off. Am I supposed to run around and go "hahaha you wasted your money, you are stupid" or something? As I'm not getting the LE, those that are, I'm simply telling them that I hope they enjoy what they are paying extra for. Do I think they are stupid for getting it? No.

Vrolokus

Banned
I've met and chatted with Heather a couple of times; she's a very cool, multi-talented person and I love reading her work. I would offer two disclaimers, though:

1) As an above poster mentioned, she is a huge Final Fantasy fan. She is truly passionate about the series.

2) She is equally passionate about New Games Journalism, which puts quotes such as "For the first time in my life of gaming, I really feel like I've gone on an adventure" into context.

bluemax

Banned
Amir0x said:
Ah, only 2 more full days left... *hugs matsuno plushie*

Soon the bitter reality will set in. The unwashed masses will realize that their savior was killed a portion of the way through FFXII and we're left with a game that falls apart a bit over half the way through. A game that took a billion years to develop and is still full of half baked gameplay concepts.

The streets will run with blood.

Or, maybe a lot of long threads, shrug.

Vrolokus said:
I've met and chatted with Heather a couple of times; she's a very cool, multi-talented person and I love reading her work. I would offer two disclaimers, though:

1) As an above poster mentioned, she is a huge Final Fantasy fan. She is truly passionate about the series.

2) She is equally passionate about New Games Journalism, which puts quotes such as "For the first time in my life of gaming, I really feel like I've gone on an adventure" into context.

So what you're saying is:

1. She has no credibility as an objective reviewer and is only giving us a fanboy rose colored glasses opinion.

2. New Games Journalism has failed because we're still getting non objective fan boy biased reviews.

Makes sense to me.

Diablos

Red Scarlet said:
Compared to Circuit City and other places, it's an extra $22. I just hope those that buy the LE find it worth their money.
It's worth that, too.

I'm going to probably end up getting two... and keep the other one sealed to sell it a year from now. But in case I don't, I still don't mind the price of the LE. After this long, it's worth it.

I am actually passing on this game. I may get the soundtrack though as the only FFXII-related dick I'm willing to suck would have to be Sakimoto's.

Then again I feel the same way about the new Zelda. I got tired of waiting, realized that I don't have a particularly good reason for wanting the game, and now I'll just watch it pass by.

Vrolokus

Banned
bluemax said:
So what you're saying is:

1. She has no credibility as an objective reviewer and is only giving us a fanboy rose colored glasses opinion.

2. New Games Journalism has failed because we're still getting non objective fan boy biased reviews.

Nope, that's what you're saying. Because you're a bit of a... well, you're not worth a ban.

Diablos

rod said:
go scarlet! tell these matsuno fanboys where its at :lol
Uh, Matsuno fanboys are out in full swing now, might as well close the door and avoid the stampede rather than fight them.

Red Scarlet

Diablos said:
It's worth that, too.

I'm going to probably end up getting two... and keep the other one sealed to sell it a year from now. But in case I don't, I still don't mind the price of the LE. After this long, it's worth it.

Well that's cool. That's all I'm saying to whoever buys the LE. Not everything has to be (or have) a hidden negative meaning behind it.

Porridge

Vrolokus said:

Well since she has an editor, I didn't sense a passion for New Games Journalism; just a passion for the game.

And a message to Red Scarlet who first charmed this thread with his "She's a poser." Her entire top 5 games list for the issue were Final Fantasy games. If that's not a fan (and a great person to review the game), then I dunno what is.

At this point, in its 12th entry, only people who have played FF games should review FF games. Just my view

Top Bottom