• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Burt

First chicken dinner accomplished tonight in Duo with my buddy. Damn this game is an adrenaline rush!

Edit: took me roughly 23hrs total playtime to get this victory. Juice was worth the squeeze.

Congrats! Still searching for mine :(

On another note, first aid kits are worth a kill a round, easily. No one ever turns down a first aid kit. Drop one at the top of some stairs, stay back at a good angle, easy money.

Never will I worry about only having a shotgun again, as long as I can find a first aid kit.

jediyoshi

4jayJ3m.png

woop. both of my wins so far have been managing to get the drop on the last guy

I thought there was no bullet drop?

Guns aren't hitscan, you have to lead shots both for drop and time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlx2uYK6rxs

Recall

I think the problem in mid-late game is the blue zone moves too damn fast. If it moved around the same speed as someone sprinting, it wouldn't be as bad, but with the speed it moves at, you have to leave early to get to a favorable position in the next zone, leaving you with no time to loot.

Energy drinks make you move faster with the speed boost it gives.

Got second place with my friend earlier. Everything after ~20 players is just so freakin fun.

This game has really grown on me, didn't think I'd like it. Can't wait to finally "win" a game, however long that may take

Tecnniqe

Banned
I read somewhere PU doesn't want to nerf the circles (obviously take that with a grain of salt), but I do agree that it's overdone right now. I get that the current amount of late game damage is to prevent people in the final rounds from just tanking it for as long as possible with healing items while picking off people running in, but the time between shrinks in the last few rounds is way too little and the circle itself moves too fast. You might not even bother having a timer for the last one or two circles since by the time you get inside the next one will already be marked and you'll have to move now to get in. If you got hurt on the way in, then there's practically zero time at all to heal and still make it to the next circle before the blue catches you, and that's assuming you got lucky enough to find cover. It rewards campers who made it to the right spot way too much since everyone else has to constantly be running as fast as possible; and if it's on the opposite side from you? RIP unless Jesus smiles on you.

I've heard some good suggestions (have the circle always be slowly shrinking, tie the appearance of the next circle to the current player count, have the circle the same until the last two or three shrinks at which point it starts slowly shrinking).
I think the damage is fine as long as the circle promotes fights over rng and hiding hoping the circle comes to you.

http://forums.playbattlegrounds.com...ow-to-eliminate-some-luck-and-add-more-skill/

is a good example but there have been others saying that a kill in the circle should pause it for ~10sec to promote fights over running to cover.

E-flux

I finally managed to get a kill with a grenade, the explosions seem super wonky to me. Today i decided to try it out when i saw two dudes kill my friend who was running behind me.
I don't think they saw me but i saw a buggie next to the house and figured that they would take it since the circle was going to close in soon.

giphy.gif

LordAlu

Came 13th just now in solo, the circle kept on appearing at the farthest point from me so I had little time to loot, just move from cover to cover. Eventually managed to kill one person who ran past a building I was checking but then the next circle was on the far side again and the only way to it was through open ground. Got gunned down pretty quickly :(

Woo-Fu

Banned
Why're this game so much ore popular than all the other King of the hill type games

It is the only one that hasn't repeatedly let its audience down, yet.

The Culling had a disastrous patch and even before that was mostly melee weapons which isn't as appealing to the shooter fans.

H1Z1 KOTK has had a number of outstanding problems that go unaddressed one patch after another to the point where long time players feel they're never going to get fixed. On top of that the influx of high ping cheaters from other regions is a plague according to some. Game seems to still be growing in Asia if not so much in Europe/NA. Still putting up similar numbers to PUBG, but doing so on what, four times or more the player base?

Looking at Steamcharts it looksl ike PUBG is easily going to surpass KOTK unless Daybreak pulls a rabbit out of their hat in the very near future.
KOTK: 134k peak, 5 million owners(not sure if this includes original and/or the other half of the split). PUBG: 124k peak, 1.3 million copies. Of course it remains to be seen if PUBG will maintain its growth after the streamers inevitably move on to something else.

Neverfade

Have the devs said anything about getting back into games quicker? Bouncing back to the title screen is a giant pain in the ass. More so than any of the in game jank. Where's the "next game" option to throw me right back onto the lobby island?

Majine

Banned
I kinda want the servers to stay up for a few minutes after it's done.

Come on, I won, let me have the goddamn island for myself.

Have the devs said anything about getting back into games quicker? Bouncing back to the title screen is a giant pain in the ass. More so than any of the in game jank. Where's the "next game" option to throw me right back onto the lobby island?

yeah this will be the deciding factor if i stick with the game long term. right now its kust long enogugh for me to go like man fuck this game

JDB

Banned
The few minutes between matches that can last up to around half an hour are a major pain in the ass?

KKRT00

I think that match launching counter should start when server hit 70 players, it would definitely speed up the startup.

Burt

I know, I've been impressed by how easy and quick it is to jump right back in a game.

Yeah, same here. I've never played a Battle Royale game before and it's one of the things I've appreciated most, along with how AFKs don't matter and I can hunker down in grass and step away from the computer for 5 minutes if I really need to while staying relatively safe. I definitely routinely waited much longer between MOBA games back when I played them.

AcridMeat

Banned
dude it could definitely be faster, expect more from life. i want to super meat boy this shit
Have you ever played KOTK? That shit would take minutes at a time just to match into a game. Let alone the loading into the hub area, waiting the minute timer, then loading into the game.

PUBG still has problems, but getting back in is not one of them.

TheRed

My mouse is off center post patch. Any way to fix this?

I shoot fine, it's just in menus and on the map.
I've had this ever since I bought the game. Hope they know about it and it can get fixed soon. Not a big deal for gameplay but still annoying.

KKRT00

Dog, this game has the fastest matchmaking I've seen in 15 years of online PC shooters.

What? In what online shooters do you wait more than 2 minutes between matches?

I dont say that is long, but in normal FPS games the matchmaking takes like 10-20 seconds.

baby

actually just get up and stretch your legs or get a glass of water and stay hydrated or something. if they do add a next game feature it should only be available to people with verifiable standing desks

Hixx

you should only be able to instant queue if you get 5 kills imo

otherwise a 122 second wait so you can still feel like a camping bitch

baby

you should only be able to instant queue if you get 5 kills imo

otherwise a 122 second wait so you can still feel like a camping bitch

does it count if one of those kills is just on yourself because you held a grenade for too long

What? In what online shooters do you wait more than 2 minutes between matches?

I dont say that is long, but in normal FPS games the matchmaking takes like 10-20 seconds.

r6 takes a few minutes, csgo takes anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 minutes. and those find literally a tenth of the players pubg does

Bad7667

In normal FPS games, a server isn't getting populated with +90 other players.

Yeah. I've definitely waited longer searching for a Dota match and sometimes Overwatch takes 2 mins. I think one of the best things about this game is how quick I can get into a game with 99 other people.

Brakara

I agree with both sides. I'm very impressed by how fast it matches 100 people, but on the other hand, I don't see the harm in adding an option to start matchmaking again instead of having to go back to the main menu.

Kadin

I agree with both sides. I'm very impressed by how fast it matches 100 people, but on the other hand, I don't see the harm in adding an option to start matchmaking again instead of having to go back to the main menu.
Yeah both this and KOTK do this so I assume there's some back-end reason that it's done this way. Or that was just the design choice at the time and it stuck. I'm from the camp that feels the downtime is very minimal and it's shared by the group I play with. We're all pretty impressed how quick it is to get back into a match.

Hixx

does it count if one of those kills is just on yourself because you held a grenade for too long

r6 takes a few minutes, csgo takes anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 minutes. and those find literally a tenth of the players pubg does

I didn't die ok.

KKRT00

In normal FPS games, a server isn't getting populated with +90 other players.

Yeah, thats why its slower and there is a room for improvement.

---
The same will be in future in PUBS when they will be matching by skill level and there will be custom games and mods.

Compsiox

Banned
I feel like the hit detection might be going to crap. I put 5 bullets into a guys head. Even if he had a level 3 helmet I should have gotten more than 2 hit points correct?

XeroSauce

I read somewhere PU doesn't want to nerf the circles (obviously take that with a grain of salt), but I do agree that it's overdone right now. I get that the current amount of late game damage is to prevent people in the final rounds from just tanking it for as long as possible with healing items while picking off people running in, but the time between shrinks in the last few rounds is way too little and the circle itself moves too fast. You might not even bother having a timer for the last one or two circles since by the time you get inside the next one will already be marked and you'll have to move now to get in. If you got hurt on the way in, then there's practically zero time at all to heal and still make it to the next circle before the blue catches you, and that's assuming you got lucky enough to find cover. It rewards campers who made it to the right spot way too much since everyone else has to constantly be running as fast as possible; and if it's on the opposite side from you? RIP unless Jesus smiles on you.

I've heard some good suggestions (have the circle always be slowly shrinking, tie the appearance of the next circle to the current player count, have the circle the same until the last two or three shrinks at which point it starts slowly shrinking).

First and second suggestion would be good.

My suggestion is that you are always faster then the circle sprinting (without a weapon). That why if you are caught by accident during an intense firefight, you always have a chance to get yourself to safety.

Map knowledge of the circle is key to this game, so they should really start with small changes and see how it affects the gameplay.

Bread

Banned
Complaining about how long it takes to get into games!?!? Insane. Of all things to complain about that is like the lowest on my list.

---

The same will be in future in PUBS when they will be matching by skill level and there will be custom games and mods.

I said it before, but in PlayerUnknowns battle royale for arma 2/3 the downtime was sometimes TWENTY FIVE minutes between matches, since there was only a handful of servers worldwide and you needed to wait until games finished/filled up and even then the wait was mostly worth it since there wasn't anything that really scratched that itch at that time, so when I see folks complaining about 2 measly minutes in-between matches....

anigif_enhanced-27285-1421499876-3.gif

jediyoshi

To clarify, you're saying the improvement lies in something like a qol update letting you requeue after a match is over? I'm missing the context of even non comparable games with quicker turn around times between matches.

Twookie

I think server latency/lag is way worse than the down-time from match to match tbh, atleast on EU servers. Hell, the downtime isn't that bad even.

It's very frustrating to have to spam f to get into a car just to either get into the car 2 - 3 seconds after pressing f or getting into the car and then getting ejected out of the car because of how long it took to get into the car in the first place.

I do wish it started to tick down faster when the server is filled, why on earth do you need a full minute countdown AFTER you have gotten the players?

Top Bottom