• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Podge293

Is there anyway to aim over cover? Had just happened to climb one of those military towers when spotted someone, went to shoot and lined up fine. Shot then it moved into the position of holding the gun in the air, couldn't get it to go back down and then boom I'm dead

Tovarisc

Is there anyway to aim over cover? Had just happened to climb one of those military towers when spotted someone, went to shoot and lined up fine. Shot then it moved into the position of holding the gun in the air, couldn't get it to go back down and then boom I'm dead

If cover is higher than weapons level, no. Basically you don't want to shoot in downwards angle if you need to be close to e.g. side of guard tower as it can force your weapon up or down.

Tecnniqe

Banned
People are really defending the between-match experience in here? Really? It's abysmal and by far my biggest issue with the game.

Click once top left > matchmake ~5sec > loads lobby > synchronize and gather 100 people over a couple minutes at most before it starts

It takes top ~2 minutes and a single damn mouse click to enter a lobby, its less than most games use with a quickmatch and compared to games like Battlefield with 64 players even if it loads the next map that alone and also a wait time for a minimum playercount before it even thinks to begin the match allowing you to move is equal or longer.

If you think the current matchmaking system is abysmal you gonna have a bad time with any high cap servers of ~100 people regardless of the game.

Pachimari

So I decided to follow some random player in his jeep who took it across the river where the safe circle was, and I thought why the hell not, and followed in his footsteps confident that I would succeed in my little endeavor but ended up stuck with a broken engine in the water. And it was right at the edge too! Thankfully I could run up on land and be safe.

zoh8Lpl.jpg

Click once top left > matchmake ~5sec > loads lobby > synchronize and gather 100 people over a couple minutes at most before it starts

It takes top ~2 minutes and a single damn mouse click to enter a lobby, its less than most games use with a quickmatch and compared to games like Battlefield with 64 players even if it loads the next map that alone and also a wait time for a minimum playercount before it even thinks to begin the match allowing you to move is equal or longer.

If you think the current matchmaking system is abysmal you gonna have a bad time with any high cap servers of ~100 people regardless of the game.

Yeah, I don't really see the issue to be honest. Always considered the speed you can get back into a match one of the biggest strengths of the game.

I've never played these games but they do look fun, but the shrinking zone stuff happens way too fast and i feel like that ruins the experiance, you have to rush or die to being out of bounds so quickly.

I've never played these games but they do look fun, but the shrinking zone stuff happens way too fast and i feel like that ruins the experiance, you have to rush or die to being out of bounds so quickly.

Play wasteland or the DayZ mod instead. This is like those experiences but condensed into a short match.

Lifeline

I feel the same way. I'm running for the circles for most of the game. Maybe when they add custom games, there will be options like slowing down the shrink rate or removing it all together.

I guess something like Day Z would have fit my play style better, but I already spent $30 on this. So I'll keep hoping for good custom servers for now.

JDB

Banned
Can anyone tell if the person shooting in front of me in this clip is using an M16 or M4? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaT70p8HecA&feature=youtu.be

The fact that he kept shooting when I was already behind the tree and the way I fell makes me believe it was in fact him killing me, but I'm not entirely sure what the M16 and M4 sound like respectively. So it could be that someone else finished me off which would explain this. I mean, I've been hit while just getting behind cover but this would be next level.

Jibbed

I feel the same way. I'm running for the circles for most of the game. Maybe when they add custom games, there will be options like slowing down the shrink rate or removing it all together.

I guess something like Day Z would have fit my play style better, but I already spent $30 on this. So I'll keep hoping for good custom servers for now.

If you're flying down to the extremeties of the map, make sure you find a vehicle either before or immediately after the initial 'gear up' phase, otherwise you should be just fine.

Planning ahead and moving in advance of the white circle as much as possible dramatically reduces the amount of running you have to do in the 2nd half of the match. Whenever I find myself miles away from the circle at the start, I make sure I at least have a vehicle in sight in the opening minutes. One trip right to the middle and you're sorted.

Tovarisc

Can anyone tell if the person shooting in front of me in this clip is using an M16 or M4? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaT70p8HecA&feature=youtu.be

The fact that he kept shooting when I was already behind the tree and the way I fell makes me believe it was in fact him killing me, but I'm not entirely sure what the M16 and M4 sound like respectively. So it could be that someone else finished me off which would explain this. I mean, I've been hit while just getting behind cover but this would be next level.

First shot made me think M416, why? There was no other shooters shooting at you.

JDB

Banned
First shot made me think M416, why? There was no other shooters shooting at you.
In my mind it initially sounded like an M16 hence why I was a bit confused when I saw I got killed with an M4. I figured maybe someone else finished me off from my from the right off-screen or something. Like I said: I've been hit while I just got into cover before, but never this late. Even on NA servers I haven't seen it this bad and this clip was on EU servers near me.

Tovarisc

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/855974622990184449

Looks like we're going back to the everyone has 2 AR's days immediately after first looting pass. I've kind of liked it recently, as long as you get one AR, the other comes quickly when you down another player. SMG's are also fun to use, except the recoil is really unmanageable when trying to snipe players at medium range.

When your whole map is designed and balanced around everyone having AR's you really can't go and make your game into DayZ Lite where getting even SCAR-H is up to 100% luck. There just isn't much fun in trying to challenge squad with good AR RNG when you have Uzi and shotty.

JDB

Banned
The 2x scope is probably my favorite scope at the moment. It's not as unwieldy as the 4x at close range and it is actually pretty decent for medium range unlike the red dot and holo sights.
edit: I think the loot is alright for solo, but for squad I can imagine it can be rough.

Sane_Man

I'm so bad at this game. The only time I manage to get kills is when I get the easy jump on someone. Any time they're at a distance or it's a one on one I get owned. I wish there was a proper way to practice shooting in this game.

When your whole map is designed and balanced around everyone having AR's you really can't go and make your game into DayZ Lite where getting even SCAR-H is up to 100% luck. There just isn't much fun in trying to challenge squad with good AR RNG when you have Uzi and shotty.

What would be cool is if matches had special settings like a pistols and shotguns only match, or regular loot, or reduced loot like it is currently, I mean that sounds fun on paper but I bet people would complain about pistol starts in a game like this.

Krayz

Just bought this yesterday. I find myself just waiting at the edge of the white line, killing off anyone I see running away from the blue line. This way when I move up to the next white line I only have to worry about my sides and what's ahead of me.

Tovarisc

What would be cool is if matches had special settings like a pistols and shotguns only match, or regular loot, or reduced loot like it is currently, I mean that sounds fun on paper but I bet people would complain about pistol starts in a game like this.

On patch day they ran different custom lobbies. One was pistols only, one was shotguns only, one was more aggressive blue circle etc.

Compsiox

Banned
I'm so bad at this game. The only time I manage to get kills is when I get the easy jump on someone. Any time they're at a distance or it's a one on one I get owned. I wish there was a proper way to practice shooting in this game.

Use first person for better accuracy.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Was there like a sale or something?

Like 5 people on my Steam list bought it within the last few days.
Good word of mouth. It's an amazing game for EA and it's got a huge amount of potential. It helps that it's taking what made other battle royale type games good and mixing it with Arma-style gunplay.

Om a side note, I've found the M16 to be accurate most of the time, if I hold breath while burst firing. Single shot I'm fine to take aim and fire without steadying my shot because I presume the recoil is far less to the burst fire. Sure it's not as easily accurate as the other guns but it's definitely a powerful weapon if used right.

JDB

Banned
AKM, SCAR and such should really come with the full-auto mode enabled by default...
Full auto is a terrible idea most of the time so that's probably why single fire is default. Being able to set the default in the options would be nice, though.

Roldan

Full auto is a terrible idea most of the time so that's probably why single fire is default. Being able to set the default in the options would be nice, though.

Yeah, I was just pissed because I had fought a guy indoors. I held the fire button, but I realized too late that I forgot to change to full auto. lol

Was there like a sale or something?

Like 5 people on my Steam list bought it within the last few days.

I've noticed that awareness and positive word of mouth have been spreading to outlets like Giant Bomb and Waypoint within the past couple weeks. Hearing Austin Walker talk about it recently made me take the plunge, despite being very wary towards these open world survival games due to their often rocky lifespans. The perception surrounding the game has seemingly grown more and more positive overall since launch. I can certainly speak to how much I've enjoyed my time with it.

VoxPop

At what point does this connection closed message happen? Are you getting into the main menu and able to select to enter a match, etc.?

Not at all. I literally just installed the game. I see a loading screen with an AK then it goes into the Connection Closed screen with 2 reconnect buttons but both of them don't work. :(

Updated my router firmware, checked my firewall, validated files, etc etc. Not sure what the issue is :(

renzolama

The acceleration of the zone reduction at the end of the match is brilliant. My third round I survived down the last 20 by sneaking and avoiding combat, but I stayed on the outskirts of the zone too long into the match and ended up basically sprinting and healing through the final contractions of the blue electricity while bullets (and even a vehicle) were flying past me. It was so ridiculous that I just found myself running and giggling maniacally until some guy finally shot me in the face.

Kadin

Not at all. I literally just installed the game. I see a loading screen with an AK then it goes into the Connection Closed screen with 2 reconnect buttons but both of them don't work. :(

Updated my router firmware, checked my firewall, validated files, etc etc. Not sure what the issue is :(
It sounds like you're not even able to establish a connection to them. Trying pinging the address below, it's the server I'm connected to atm when playing.

server-54-230-141-38.sfo5.r.cloudfront.net

VoxPop

It sounds like you're not even able to establish a connection to them. Trying pinging the address below, it's the server I'm connected to atm when playing.

server-54-230-141-38.sfo5.r.cloudfront.net

Not sure how to ping an address :p

but when i put it into the chrome address bar I get an ERROR: The request could not be satisfied.

I'm guessing it's some kind of ISP/Firewall issue from what I'm reading online (can't find an actual solution)

A lot of people in universities seem to be having the issue but I'm playing from home so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Currently using Time Warner (Spectrum)

Kadin

If you're using Windows 10, open a command prompt by right clicking Start, click Run and type in 'cmd' without the quotes then Open.

Then type 'ping server-54-230-141-38.sfo5.r.cloudfront.net' again without the quotes. Should give you 3 results showing some time in ms which should be <100. If it times out completely, that's an issue.

Top Bottom