• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

VoxPop

If you're using Windows 10, open a command prompt by right clicking Start, click Run and type in 'cmd' without the quotes then Open.

Then type 'ping server-54-230-141-38.sfo5.r.cloudfront.net' again without the quotes. Should give you 3 results showing some time in ms which should be <100. If it times out completely, that's an issue.

mv8s2E7.png

this is what I'm getting

VoxPop

So that looks like you're able to at least talk to one of the servers you connect to at launch. Are you using a VPN by chance?

Looks like it could potentially be a P2P issue, at least at the school level.

Playing at home, not at a school. No VPN.

I even tried hardwiring it with the ethernet cable and it still didn't work. About to give up haha.

Kadin

Playing at home, not at a school. No VPN.

I even tried hardwiring it with the ethernet cable and it still didn't work. About to give up haha.
Yeah that sucks, wish I could help ya better. The only other thing I can think of is whether or not the game requires specific ports open. I'd check firewall settings and see if you can maybe create a rule to make sure the game .exe is being allowed to run without restrictions.

Worst case you can refund it for now until it gets fixed. Wish ya luck.

VoxPop

Yeah that sucks, wish I could help ya better. The only other thing I can think of is whether or not the game requires specific ports open. I'd check firewall settings and see if you can maybe create a rule to make sure the game .exe is being allowed to run without restrictions.

Worst case you can refund it for now until it gets fixed. Wish ya luck.

Yup thanks for all the help. Much appreciated :)

AdamT

Just had a moment where shadows played a big role in hunting down someone. Heard gunshots in the city area and couldn't figure out which building they were in. Suddenly saw their shadow on the roof of a building and got the jump on them.

Tagyhag

Yup thanks for all the help. Much appreciated :)

This sounds dumb but have you restarted your PC after installing? I couldn't connect to Serious Sam 3 servers when it first came out until I restarted my PC.

Otherwise you can check their Connection Problems thread.

If all else fails, go to their Steam discussion and ask there or see if anyone made the same thread recently. Could be a general server issue.

RS4-

Lost the decisive 1v1 in another squad game to finish #2. I wish the whole game could feel like those final few circles, goddamn.

Exact same thing happened to me in the last game. Circle creeping up, and right before the engagement I drop my 8x on the m16, for iron sights, I see the guy 30-40m away, lit 2 but it wasn't enough. Pretty shitty since it was an open field and I was right outside the grass coverage lol.

Because fuck, I had 0 other scopes lol.

Tagyhag

Yeah. Honestly I'd take a mode that's 30 people and 1/4 of the map. I don't start having a ton of fun until it's 15-20 left.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a smaller map with less people down the line.

The problem is that you also don't want to start fragmenting your audience, a big appeal of Battlegrounds is how quickly you go into other matches.

I think my worst ever loss at #2 has come where I ran away from a grenade because I instinctively thought it would kill me, even when it only took out 3/4 of my health at near point blank range, and I had a med kit so I could have just stayed in cover anyway, because the frags in this game are pitiful unless they're directly underneath someone.

EDIT: oh and I had this funny glitch happen to me, where the little dude indicator couldn't figure out that I was inside the circle for some reason

HUS8uZ0.png
u9XfY65.png
KyXjG2Q.png

SamuraiX-

Just want to give a shout to the entire PUBG GAF community on Discord! Love all ya'll. Duos & Squads wouldn't be the same with any other group of guys and gals. ;)

#squadgoals #chickendinnersfordaysssss

valeo

This is a weird game.

I like the tension. I like the idea. I like everything that surrounds the actual playing of the game. But I hate actually controlling my dude. I hate staring at the ground half the game picking shit up. I hate getting stuck on the environment all of the time. I hate the inventory management.

I can't remember the last time I had such mixed feelings towards a game.

AcridMeat

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if we get a smaller map with less people down the line.

The problem is that you also don't want to start fragmenting your audience, a big appeal of Battlegrounds is how quickly you go into other matches.
Yeah that's true. The game wouldn't be the same if it functioned that way.

I think with balancing they could make it less of a hassle to get to the really awesome tense moments. A lot of my comments were made in frustration at the loot break. I come to this genre for the encounters, not for endless looting.

I want events and special game mode types. Pistols only. Crossbows only. Shotguns only etc. Just maybe like a rotating thing. There's a lot of potential for fun zany modes.

Add a night variation with tactical flashlights, brighter muzzle flashes, and NVGs with battery meters dropping in care packages.

Yes this is probably a bad idea but,

Recall

Watched a streamer last night queue up in squads by himself then got a quad kill on a squad of 4 who had taken shelter in a little shack, with a grenade.

He didn't even notice he got 4 kills until after the match and the chat alerted him to it. And then shared the clip.

His reaction was hilarious.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Yeah that's true. The game wouldn't be the same if it functioned that way.

I think with balancing they could make it less of a hassle to get to the really awesome tense moments. A lot of my comments were made in frustration at the loot break. I come to this genre for the encounters, not for endless looting.

You can run over to loot and just hit tab, it'll open your inventory and like DayZ show anything nearby. You can also easily tell what is loot as it glows yellow.

Chumley

Banned
I wonder what else they can do for progression as they evolve the game, like what other incentives they can offer for earning points than cosmetic stuff that becomes kind of moot as soon as you pick up equipment.

Velikost

Just got my first Solo win after playing 3 matches. Got my first Duo win earlier today with a buddy too. 8 kills both times; feelsgoodman.

Tanked my fucking framerate trying to record the final 3 in said Solo game though. Apparently Battlegrounds prevents you from recording with RivaTuner? I saw a prompt about it when I closed the program. I think RTSS just kept trying to record or something and I went from locked 72 to about 50. Still pulled it out though.

creatchee

I wonder what else they can do for progression as they evolve the game, like what other incentives they can offer for earning points than cosmetic stuff that becomes kind of moot as soon as you pick up equipment.

I mean, any progression bonuses you get can't affect gameplay, lest ye affect the balance of the game. The big appeal imo is that everybody starts off the same - same plane, same ability to drop off anywhere along the route of the plane, same base speed of movement etc. When the game starts, skill kicks in. Jumping out of the plane, aiming your falling body precisely and at the right angle, and opening your chute at the right time can all make a difference to getting to that first loot. I mean, at the highest level of the game that we're already seeing, a footstep is the difference between grabbing a gun or a car and having the upper hand at the start of a round. Positioning properly is a skill - especially when dropping into highly populated areas. To add anything beyond cosmetic perks would diminish that skill's importance. And it's not some highly complex muscle memory thing that only a small percentage of the population can theoretically do - it's all intellect that comes from learning the game and applying acquired knowledge from past experiences to solve new situations.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Yeah I doubt and don't want the devs to add monetary incentives that affect gameplay. Keep it to outfits that are purely cosmetic for those who want to flaunt their difference in character style but everyone is continues to be on the same level playing field.

I'd also kill for a full Matrix outfit. Please. You even run like Neo with the pistol.

BearPawB

Banned
My friend and I had our first Duo win after a string of bad luck.

Finished with a really intense 2 v 2.

I think all of our 7 or so kills came in the last 5 minutes

Moz

I really hope this is one of those early access games where they use their time to polish the shit out of it, rather than keep adding more and more features to an unpolished game. Loving what I'm playing but there's plenty of room for improving the basic functionality.

Tovarisc

e: but can they even fill the server that way?

tslgame_2017_04_24_17wapf9.png

Do custom servers still allow you to earn currency for cosmetics tho?

I try get into the custom game and get answer for you.

I really hope this is one of those early access games where they use their time to polish the shit out of it, rather than keep adding more and more features to an unpolished game. Loving what I'm playing but there's plenty of room for improving the basic functionality.

Well this is basically on going alpha / beta where they add all features whey want game to have and then polish shit out of it.

I wonder if my laptop could even run this...
(Intel Core i5 6200U, NVIDIA 940MX, 8GB DDR4)

It does look like a lot of fun, but hopefully I don't have to wait for the potential console versions.

Giganteus

I wonder if my laptop could even run this...
(Intel Core i5 6200U, NVIDIA 940MX, 8GB DDR4)

It does look like a lot of fun, but hopefully I don't have to wait for the potential console versions.
Sounds like you might have the same laptop I have (Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G?)

If you do, it can run it, but you're gonna have to have mostly low settings. I'm fine with this and it's worth it to me, but I was impatient and I don't care about graphics with this game.

Sounds like you might have the same laptop I have (Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G?)

If you do, it can run it, but you're gonna have to have mostly low settings. I'm fine with this and it's worth it to me, but I was impatient and I don't care about graphics with this game.

Yep, same laptop! I can run most things on low, but I just didn't know how this game is optimized. I'm glad to read that I can run it on low settings, and that's all I really care about. Thanks!

Giganteus

Yep, same laptop! I can run most things on low, but I just didn't know how this game is optimized. I'm glad to read that I can run it on low settings, and that's all I really care about. Thanks!
No problem. Keep in mind that I haven't tweaked it or followed any guides to improve performance for the game, yet. You might be able to get better performance out of it with some messing around. Anyway, have fun!

Top Bottom