• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

spootime

What? In what online shooters do you wait more than 2 minutes between matches?

I dont say that is long, but in normal FPS games the matchmaking takes like 10-20 seconds.

you can die, press "play" and it will instantly put you in a lobby. The lobby lasts like one minute. How can they even improve this?

Games that have a significantly longer matching time:
-CSGO
-DOTA
-League
-Rocket League
-Overwatch
-H1z1
-Every multiplayer game on PC

DamnBoxes

Trix/Samurai/Boxes/Felix eatin'

0279882a7bb3853b80e03d31f94fcac0.gif

Compsiox

Banned
I can't even express my love for this game.

I need to meet the programmer(s) who did the netcode and give them the biggest hug ever.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Don't forget the game will support mods in the future so that right there is also a huge advantage for ongoing community support.

I don't bother taking any of that into consideration until it actually happens. With the way PUBG spins up instances on demand I'm not sure people are going to get the experience they're hoping for when it comes to modded, assuming it eventually does happen.

baby

I think server latency/lag is way worse than the down-time from match to match tbh, atleast on EU servers. Hell, the downtime isn't that bad even.

It's very frustrating to have to spam f to get into a car just to either get into the car 2 - 3 seconds after pressing f or getting into the car and then getting ejected out of the car because of how long it took to get into the car in the first place.

I do wish it started to tick down faster when the server is filled, why on earth do you need a full minute countdown AFTER you have gotten the players?

the countdown starts on connection, before the last person to connect has loaded in. had a teammate alt tabbed before he loaded in and when the plane left he tabbed back in to see the loading screen still and he couldnt get out of it at all

jediyoshi

I don't bother taking any of that into consideration until it actually happens. With the way PUBG spins up instances on demand I'm not sure people are going to get the experience they're hoping for when it comes to modded, assuming it eventually does happen.

Quoting for posterity.

KKRT00

I said it before, but in PlayerUnknowns battle royale for arma 2/3 the downtime was sometimes TWENTY FIVE minutes between matches, since there was only a handful of servers worldwide and you needed to wait until games finished/filled up and even then the wait was mostly worth it since there wasn't anything that really scratched that itch at that time, so when I see folks complaining about 2 measly minutes in-between matches....
Read this post i answered with my post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234469925&postcount=2328
I even wrote that i dont think its long now, was just correcting hyperbole.
-
To clarify, you're saying the improvement lies in something like a qol update letting you requeue after a match is over? I'm missing the context of even non comparable games with quicker turn around times between matches.

My suggestion from previous post:
"I think that match launching counter should start when server hits 70 players, it would definitely speed up the startup."

---
you can die, press "play" and it will instantly put you in a lobby. The lobby lasts like one minute. How can they even improve this?

Games that have a significantly longer matching time:
-CSGO
-DOTA
-League
-Rocket League
-Overwatch
-H1z1
-Every multiplayer game on PC

Great online shooters on this list...
Btw I have never waited 2 minutes in CSGO or CSS (i played it way more), though i mostly played on dedicated servers.

Neverfade

The few minutes between matches that can last up to around half an hour are a major pain in the ass?

Is there any other shooter that takes you back to the damn title screen after a match? I certainly haven't played any in the last 20 years. Why would anyone NOT want this? Doesn't even have to be mandatory. Keep the exit game option. Just add a match make button to the death screen.

First time I do well at the beginning, get 4 decent kills and have some good equipment.

Get blown up by the red zone because I had the gall to be in the middle of it when it started.

This game is fuckin dumb.

I can't even express my love for this game.

I need to meet the programmer(s) who did the netcode and give them the biggest hug ever.

The netcode sucks. I average around a 25 ping on Overwatch and this game is absolute shit.

JDB

Banned
Is there any other shooter that takes you back to the damn title screen after a match? I certainly haven't played any in the last 20 years. Why would anyone NOT want this? Doesn't even have to be mandatory. Keep the exit game option. Just add a match make button to the death screen.
The main menu is the multiplayer lobby. So there's no practical difference at all. Also, I was just stating my amazement at the fact that you said it was some incredibly important issue.

So two of my friends were encouraging me to get this game so I could play with them. The only thing is that my laptop isn't really meant for gaming. The only game I currently play on my laptop is Overwatch and I have everything at the lowest settings in order to keep 30fps. I don't mind playing at the lowest settings but my VRAM is only 128 MB and systemrequirementslab says I need 2 GB minimum. That seems to be the only issue. Should I not bother?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
So two of my friends were encouraging me to get this game so I could play with them. The only thing is that my laptop isn't really meant for gaming. The only game I currently play on my laptop is Overwatch and I have everything at the lowest settings in order to keep 30fps. I don't mind playing at the lowest settings but my VRAM is only 128 MB and systemrequirementslab says I need 2 GB minimum. That seems to be the only issue. Should I not bother?

It has demanding requirements, I wouldn't go for it if I were you.

XeroSauce

I wouldn't bother tbh.

Brannon

Let it go.

Compsiox

Banned

Get it and refund it if it doesn't run for you. Also there is no GPU at all in this laptop? The 128 MB of VRAM is probably from your CPU. You couldn't even run Overwatch with that.

There are also optimization guides that let you tweak just about every graphical aspect in the game to run faster.

Okay, that's the second time I've been in the top 10, shot a guy at less than 10 yards away with zero question that I've shot them, and had zero hit reaction from them.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I had a nightmare of a time trying to hit anything with the m16 and the 8x scope. Seemed wildly inaccurate (i didn't have this issue with the other assault rifles)

Neverfade

The main menu is the multiplayer lobby. So there's no practical difference at all. Also, I was just stating my amazement at the fact that you said it was some incredibly important issue.

To me it is. I want to jump directly to the loading island. This isn't difficult to grasp.

JDB

Banned
To me it is. I want to jump directly to the loading island. This isn't difficult to grasp.
How many games allow you to instantly go into a matchmaking queue right after you die? PUBG is just like basically all MP games where you go back to the menus and click on a play button. I'm okay with what you want, but don't act like it's crazy that they don't have it.

Neverfade

When I exit the game I have to watch the damn engine splash screen.

Yeah, its crazy.

And to answer your question, every single other shooter I own let's me requeue without going back to the title screen.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
How many games allow you to instantly go into a matchmaking queue right after you die? PUBG is just like basically all MP games where you go back to the menus and click on a play button. I'm okay with what you want, but don't act like it's crazy that they don't have it.
It would help if the menu didn't take a year to load

Sometimes the menu loads instantly for me, sometimes the splash screen appears first and sometimes it seems to not load and I have to signout and sign back into windows to force close the process.

Kadin

I don't think it's difficult to grasp, it's just odd that it's such an issue to people. I mean, aren't there other things you'd like to see fixed first or is this something that really turns you off with the game? I just think many people aren't able to relate to this 'issue' like others are.

Title screen or not, you have to click one button (Play) to queue back up and then load in. I don't see the issue at all myself.

It would help if the menu didn't take a year to load
It takes 4-6 seconds for me on my SSD. Let's try to at least exaggerate a little less if we're gonna try to keep this within reason.

Gamer132

I made it to the final three and the last circle was over a River. I shot a guy point blank with a shotgun by a tree and then got stuck on his body and the tree and couldn't move or avoid the sniper fire and got killed.

Second to last circle, I see the other player and hit them as they barely make it to cover. It's super tense. This is amazing. We're tossing grenades, peeking out, my heart is pounding.

Circle suddenly shrinks to slightly favor them so they barely have to move into cover and I'm stuck in the open. All of the tactics and skill on display are thrown out.

Squad is so fun, even with randoms. Got 6 kills and won my most recent. Last one alive, landing the killing blow with 5% health left. Two of my squadmates stayed in spectate to help spot for me which probably is what allowed me to bring us the win. My biggest weakness is I'm really bad at the Where's Waldo part of this game. My eyes can't discern shit.

Before all that, there was a great shootout in a mansion, where I saved my squadmate from two baddies, then we were pinned on the second floor as the blue fog started closing in. We had to jump down and commandeer our enemy's vehicle and fight them for it. We didn't lose anyone either!

The game before that in squad again: I narrowly saved my whole squad by driving safely and barely outrunning the blue fog after two of us were knocked out. They said I was a god and would never forget me (we didn't do well, but that rescue effort, and frantic drive was amazing).

This game has some amazing moments. Squad is probably my favorite mode so far.

I think having your vision much more obscured when outside the force field would fix this issue of entire firefights taking place in it and causing kamakaze killings.

More than any puzzle game, this game creates those perfect moments of feeling like an utter genius (sneaking up on a player without them realizing, escaping a doomed situation by the skin of your teeth, watching players pick each other off as you take out the last one) and a complete idiot (realizing that you could have thrown that grenade 30 seconds after you died, realizing you trapped yourself in the worst possible position, flipping a car).

Second to last circle, I see the other player and hit them as they barely make it to cover. It's super tense. This is amazing. We're tossing grenades, peeking out, my heart is pounding.

Circle suddenly shrinks to slightly favor them so they barely have to move into cover and I'm stuck in the open. All of the tactics and skill on display are thrown out.

Yup. It's all about trying to anticipate the circle. It's super hard and it's obviously unpredictable. I prefer trying to take the option of trying to get to the middle of the circle each time so that I don't have to worry about moving as much.

jediyoshi

My suggestion from previous post:
"I think that match launching counter should start when server hits 70 players, it would definitely speed up the startup."

Oh wow, that's even less of an affect than I was expecting. That's less of a waiting than the loading time between returning to the main menu and then back into the island. Guessing you aren't playing solo? The change in time that suggestion would cause is nearly non-existent.

Pachimari

Tried to run five feet between houses before red zone started dropping bombs. Bomb dropped straight on my head... :(
You... Should have went inside one of them houses and hidden under the kitchen table. That would have saved you instead of running away.

Par Score

People are really defending the between-match experience in here? Really? It's abysmal and by far my biggest issue with the game.

I can forgive all the in-game jank in the world, but the basic menu flow, UI, and responsiveness of the out-of-game experience is incredibly poor. It's one of the main areas I hope they improve on during the Early Access period.

My Gold Standard here is something like Rocket League. A game should never give me enough time wrestling with their shitty menus and waiting out their loading screens to make me want to quit.

TheRed

You... Should have went inside one of them houses and hidden under the kitchen table. That would have saved you instead of running away.
Yeah I just wanted to cross into the next house just to get some more loot and I've never been killed in red zones. Even when I've been stuck in them when running from the blue circle. The houses were as close as can be too, just didn't expect the literal first bomb to drop to be right on me in that narrow spot between the houses. Got greedy and unlucky.

Tovarisc

People are really defending the between-match experience in here? Really? It's abysmal and by far my biggest issue with the game.

Clicking two buttons over 10 seconds and then alt tabbing for 1 minute doesn't rate as abysmal, not even into same postal code.

At the end of the day we don't know how their back end works and why they need roll us through main menu every time. My suspicion is that it's used to sync up your stats generated during the match with their database.

Pachimari

Yeah I just wanted to cross into the next house just to get some more loot and I've never been killed in red zones. Even when I've been stuck in them when running from the blue circle. The houses were as close as can be too, just didn't expect the literal first bomb to drop to be right on me in that narrow spot between the houses. Got greedy and unlucky.

Haha, it sounds intense as fuck. I actually haven't tried being bombed or eating by the circle either now that I think about it.

Top Bottom