• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) sells [16] million copies

TaterTots

Banned
got it too. kinda regret it. super boring. mainly walking and collecting stuff over and over again. snooze fest.

What makes the game good is the encounters. Being upstairs in a house and hearing the doors below open followed by footsteps. Really surprised you made it to 7th place and didn't see anyone. I can't walk across a field without being shot at.

Kyougar

Now please fix and polish the fucking game, you have the resources. No real excuse to stay as janky as it is

My thoughts. Not exactly a huge team and they have a lot on their plate. The more people that play, the more people that want things changed quickly.

They already stated, that they have a recruiting issue. Programmers want to work on mobile titles in South Korea and not on PC (or console).

KKRT00

Now please fix and polish the fucking game, you have the resources. No real excuse to stay as janky as it is

In software development you cant just recruit 100 people and fix something next month.
Hiring is long process, then is training phase etc.
Also not all development tasks are split-able, actually most of them arent.

There is good analogy in software development that you cannot get 9 woman and born a child in 1 month.

I have no agenda, just telling you guys how i feel after 4 hours of playing.
i must add that i am playing solo.
Ill also try playing squad later.

Even solo, there's no way do you drop military base and not see anyone until the final 10. Or else that's just a random fluke. I don't even drop there anymore due to how many times I'm killed by the 17 people that land before me and get a gun first.

Same with school, which has even more people dropping.

Yasnaya for life. Get geared up. Drive to the edge of the circle. Kill people running in. Rinse and repeat.

amdb00mer

Whoa.

Very interested to see how well it sells on Xbox.

What I find interesting is the Xbox One is available in China. It had a good start, but then slowed as not enough games aimed at Chinese players were being released. I could see the Xbox One S or even the X being sold in bundles with this game, early access as it may be, to help push console sales even more.

I also believe this will be one of the first games to officially support keyboard and mouse input on the Xbox One.

m29a

Neo Member
got it too. kinda regret it. super boring. mainly walking and collecting stuff over and over again. snooze fest.

Dropping into places like Pochinki is the the fastest way to get into immediate action and probably die before you get out resulting in mostly quick rounds. Also going in the direction of any gunfire and actively seeking players helps too. A vehicle speeds that process up, everyone likes to shoot at those.

What makes the game good is the encounters. Being upstairs in a house and hearing the doors below open followed by footsteps. Really surprised you made it to 7th place and didn't see anyone. I can't walk across a field without being shot at.
maybe i am lucky and just end up in easy games.
or i am super good at being stealthy ;)

anyways my gf played it yesterday the first time ever and she ended up 12th. did not meet one single person until someone shot her.

Rhoc

That's not the case since the Xbox version is being developed by a separate team. The core team could be working on pushing the 1.0 for all we know.

Yeah but don't you think that they want the full release to be on the same level on both platforms? I mean I'm no expert in game development but if they keep adding new stuff on the Pc version doesn't it delay the xbox version because they are still working on different stuff. But what do I know I'm just a little concerned about my favorite game at the moment that's all.

Fanuilos

Not really my type of game but clearly this game has really hit on something. Glad that so many are enjoying it. If it does end up releasing this year it should do well in GOTY awards.

Usobuko

Banned
It's a phenomenon that never happened in gaming and probably never will again, deal with it.[/QUOTE]

I doubt so. As developing nations rises and the middle class expands in these countries, it is likely this will happen again.

As in taste and accessibility aligned worldwide instead of the western world making news.

Gaming isn't like social media where winners take it all once they got you in the ecosystem and other newcomers can't compete for attention.

oti

Banned
Yeah but don't you think that they want the full release to be on the same level on both platforms? I mean I'm no expert in game development but if they keep adding new stuff on the Pc version doesn't it delay the xbox version because they are still working on different stuff. But what do I know I'm just a little concerned about my favorite game at the moment that's all.
I wouldn't be too worried about it. While getting all the Microsoft money for the Xbox version must be nice, their focus will surely be 100% on the PC version. That's where the Asian growth is coming from (China, Japan and South Korea could not care less about the Xbox version) and the PC is were they'll be trying to establish PUBG as an eSport. Plus all the loot box money they're making. The console version might as well be a nice side project for them at this point.

Usobuko

Banned
That's where the Asian growth is coming from (China, Japan and South Korea could not care less about the Xbox version) and the PC is were they'll be trying to establish PUBG as an eSport.

Generally speaking, I think the only competition to PC behemoths are mobile games in future where everyone in developing nations will have one eventually instead of a PC.

Console versions are indeed side projects.

I don't really think most games deserve that stature, but I rather it see it allocated to other small games that are great but no one gives the light of day to. Biggest example of the year is Gravity Rush 2.

I was walking to my local mom and pop game store to buy 100,000 copies of Gravity Rush 2 but then I read this post and bought 110,000 copies of PUBG instead

Biggest example of the year is Gravity Rush 2.

Well, yes, it's true that more people are having a legitimately great time enjoying PUBG at this exact moment than will enjoy GR2 in its lifetime. The self-sustaining reason for that though is the way people enjoyed PUBG right away and the numerous routes they used to communicate that enjoyment to others.

Persona 5
Night in the Woods
Bloodborne
Hollow Knight
Etc
:(

Kinda weird to get worked up about a list of games that are all successful, most of them wildly successful, by the standards of their own genre and market positioning.

It's such a difficult game that you learn through constant trial and error and luck and its real slow. Those moments of excitement can be rare. There is much to learn yet players are retaining their attention.

1) it's an extremely well-established psychological fact (which game designers frequently forget and need to relearn) that punctuated rewards are way more motivating than consistent ones. PUBG is quick to play when you lose and the thrill of performing well excites you to try again.

2) contrary to people who talk about casualization, the vast majority of massive left-field hits in gaming are actually extremely complex games that are notable primarily for being very clearly distinct and unique compared to other popular titles. The fact that there's a bunch of new stuff to learn that isn't the same as "normal" games actually helps put casual players and super-dedicated game hobbyists on more of an even footing.

Vipu

Banned
The game seems to be TOO successful for the team tbh.

Wheres The extra map, vaulting, server stability etc

All that have been answered by them.

Extra maps after release.
Vaulting coming end of this / start of next month.
Servers are worked on all the time.

I was walking to my local mom and pop game store to buy 100,000 copies of Gravity Rush 2 but then I read this post and bought 110,000 copies of PUBG instead

Jesus Christ, Denton!

PUBG also offers something not very common (at least to an old geezer like me), the game is a lot of fun to watch.

yuraya

And there is still 2-3 big steam sales remaining this year. This thing will be at 20-25 million before Jan 1st.

PUBG also offers something not very common (at least to an old geezer like me), the game is a lot of fun to watch.

It's also just exceptionally good at producing stories. I picked it up after hearing Austin and Patrick talk about a particularly wild game they had on Waypoint Radio. My third or fourth game, first one I didn't die super quick, I had a bit where a dude stole my car right away and then near the very end I spooked him with gunfire and he crashed and died. Everyone who's played the game has some bit like this where some unexpected set of events left them with a funny or wild experience that made them feel like they should keep playing and tell others to do the same.

It's happened before and of course it will happen again

...Minecraft was similar and it's quite a bit larger than PUBG. It will probably stay that way due to how much more accessible it is than PUBG ever will be.

Why do you think it will never happen again?

Did you just start gaming? PUBG is, without a doubt, a phenomenon, but it's certainly not the first, nor last.

Minecraft is a good example but it didn't sell as fast as PUBG. Another example of similar phenomenon?

Yep. Certain people are wallowing in salt right now.

I come in to these types of threads all the time and these types of comments are always here. I almost never see these "Fortnite will kill PUBG" comments. Is it the wider media you guys are referring to? Or am I just missing them? The only time I remember them was that PUBG PS4 thread.

ironmang

I don't really think most games deserve that stature, but I rather it see it allocated to other small games that are great but no one gives the light of day to. Biggest example of the year is Gravity Rush 2.

I gave Gravity Rush 2 the light of day and couldn't even finish it due to boredom.

I come in to these types of threads all the time and these types of comments are always here. I almost never see these "Fortnite will kill PUBG" comments. Is it the wider media you guys are referring to? Or am I just missing them? The only time I remember them was that PUBG PS4 thread.

Have a look at the 'fortnite battle Royale had over 1 million players on its first day' thread. Its like there is this huge underbelly of people just waiting for a chance to throw shit at this game and its success.

TZchassis

Installed windows in my Mac just to play it with friends. Fun game. My dream game now is a PUBG-inspired mutiplayer Breath of the Wild sequel lol.

Top Bottom