• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) sells [16] million copies

$

16 million, 1 million in 2 days. Insane.
L889lAr.png

Damn that's impressive. The game is still showing no signs of plateauing and if anything is accelerating. In a year with COD going back to WW2 and destiny 2 releasing PUBG still feels like it has a chance to be the best selling game of the year. It's a monster.

Venfayth

Vaulting update and the new map at the end of the year will be big bumps as well, I'm willing to bet.

I hope their new server solution is ambitious :)

The game really good I guess?
I've never heard of it and I don't think it's on PS4 yet.
Anyone mind telling why is it so popular or is like flappy bird where it went viral?

Venfayth

The game really good I guess?
I've never heard of it and I don't think it's on PS4 yet.
Anyone mind telling why is it so popular or is like flappy bird where it went viral?

It's a 100 person game where everyone flies in on a plane over an 8km x 8km island, people drop out wherever they want. You start with nothing, loot buildings for weapons and armor. A circle closes in on a random point in the map, forcing players closer together. The last person standing wins. You can play by yourself, teams of 2, or teams of 4.

It's a little janky as it's still in EA, but it's tons of fun, and super tense because you never know where the other players are until it's time to fight.

As for "why" it's popular - it's hard to say. Honestly I think it's just a new genre that is coming into the mainstream and PUBG struck a chord. There's definitely a bit of luck - PUBG being developed in the right place and time - but it's also really popular with streamers which makes it fun to watch on Twitch as well.

16 million, 1 million in 2 days. Insane.
L889lAr.png

Take the 2 days part with a grain of salt. Remember that this is a wierd outlier that breaks the Steamspy algorithm so there are frequent spikes when it is adjusted to take into account the huge influx of newer Steam accounts.

Regardless, the game is a juggernaught.

Durante

By this pace, during the Winter Sales with a small discount, 25% or 30% they will sell at least, 4-5 more million copies.
I'm not sure if a sale will change the trajectory much. It feels like this is more of a game where people will get it to play it now, rather than one where they wait for a sale -- and it's already lower-priced.

I might be totally wrong of course, I also thought it would just barely get to 2 million CCU this year, and it did so on a weekday.

Toni

Cultural phenomenon.

The next 2 years are going to be wildly interesting to observe what developers will come up with the Battle Royal concept.

Blam

I'm not sure if a sale will change the trajectory much. It feels like this is more of a game where people will get it to play it now, rather than one where they wait for a sale -- and it's already lower-priced.

I might be totally wrong of course, I also thought it would just barely get to 2 million CCU this year, and it did so on a weekday.

Yes this weekend I can see it at 2.2m.

This game is going to be hitting LoL levels of users by the end of next year. I'm calling it now.

Still behind me saying that it'll sell consoles.

It either sold a million in TWO freaking days, or Steamspy had a streak of luck and focused on new accounts or something.
What the hell

Yes this weekend I can see it at 2.2m.

This game is going to be hitting LoL levels of users by the end of next year. I'm calling it now.

Still behind me saying that it'll sell consoles.

Agreed, this game still has huge growth potential. Looking at the graph above, US has kind of peaked, but China is still growing exponentially, it hasnt even started an inflection point of slowing growth. Just insane.

Cultural phenomenon.

The next 2 years are going to be wildly interesting to observe what developers will come up with the Battle Royal concept.

I'd like a more streamlined, slightly simplified version. No free look better inventory management, etc.

I think it will be difficult to copy effectively. Part of the charm of the the game is the hilarious car physics and the general weird shit that happens.

Durante

It either sold a million in TWO freaking days, or Steamspy had a streak of luck and focused on new accounts or something.
What the hell
SteamSpy integrates new data over ~3 days. Looking at the trajectory I assume that 4 days ago a large batch of new accounts was added to the SteamSpy dataset (many of which were made primarily for PUBG) and the enormous numbers over the past few days was that data being integrated.

I assume we'll go back to the "normal" (but still insane) levels of growth now until the next new data integration push.

I wonder if they have some thoughts/ doubts about pricing the game @ $30 now. Like if it was priced @ $50 then how much more money would they make?

16M x $30 = $480M

12M * $50 = $600M

Big diffrence and that is with 25% less sales assumption.

I know I would be spinning "what if" stories if I was the boss/ price strategies at the studio now!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I wonder if they have some thoughts/ doubts about pricing the game @ $30 now. Like if it was priced @ $50 then how much more money would they make?

16M x $30 = $480M

12M * $50 = $600M

I know I would sping "what if" stories if I was the boss/ price strategies at the studio now!

No worries. Loot boxes are coming.

Stygr

Banned

16M x $30 = $480M

12M * $50 = $600M

I know I would sping "what if" stories if I was the boss/ price strategies at the studio now!

The game has different prices around the world( 30€, 30$, 25£ i think, in China is like 15$, in India, Brazil and Russia close to 10$ etc...), you have to cut the 30% of Valve and the 5-10% of Epic Games for licensing Unreal Engine 4. But yes, is it still a ton of money for them.

It's a 100 person game where everyone flies in on a plane over an 8km x 8km island, people drop out wherever they want. You start with nothing, loot buildings for weapons and armor. A circle closes in on a random point in the map, forcing players closer together. The last person standing wins. You can play by yourself, teams of 2, or teams of 4.

It's a little janky as it's still in EA, but it's tons of fun, and super tense because you never know where the other players are until it's time to fight.

As for "why" it's popular - it's hard to say. Honestly I think it's just a new genre that is coming into the mainstream and PUBG struck a chord. There's definitely a bit of luck - PUBG being developed in the right place and time - but it's also really popular with streamers which makes it fun to watch on Twitch as well.

This actually sounds kinda awesome - and 100 players sounds massive.
but now I have lot's of questions once you mentioned this circle appearing where the fight takes place.

So you could be walking around like a "ghost" and if the circle appears where your at, everyone will see you, is it like a spot light?

Also, if players cant see each other can you see the loot disappearing if someone else grabbed it?

And what happens if I'm outside of the circle when the circle appears,
do you die after a while?

what happens if I go outside of the circle in and out will that make me disappear and appear, wouldn't that be kinda cheap?

Just a heads up after Valve's cut they've made roughly $337,176,378 off of the game.

Insane.

Is the company structure/ IP ownership etc. the same as in Mojang?

I mean: will PLAYERUNKNOWN end up with MILLIONS like Notch did? Or is this a whole different company structure?

16M x $30 = $480M

12M * $50 = $600M

I know I would be spinning "what if" stories if I was the boss/ price strategies at the studio now!

Pretty sure they're more than happy with $480 million and rising. I doubt that's even crossed their minds.

16M x $30 = $480M

12M * $50 = $600M

More player means bigger constant revenue through loot boxes and stuff.

They made the right choice.

This actually sounds kinda awesome - and 100 players sounds massive.
but now I have lot's of questions once you mentioned this circle appearing where the fight takes place.

So you could be walking around like a "ghost" and if the circle appears where your at, everyone will see you, is it like a spot light?

Also, if players cant see each other can you see the loot disappearing if someone else grabbed it?

And what happens if I'm outside of the circle when the circle appears,
do you die and once the circle appears after a while?

what happens if I go outside of the circle in and out will that make me disappear and appear, wouldn't that be kinda cheap?

Dude, you should watch some streams. I don't watch streams normally but the PUBG are insanely entertaining. I like many others I'm sure, got hooked on the streams first before playing.

Top Bottom