• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 3 Shipments Reach 50 Million Units Worldwide. Move surpasses 8 Million

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
arnoldocastillo2003 said:
This maybe true, like dreamcast and Ps2, Microsoft will launch their console in 2013 and Sony will launch theirs in 2014.

I'm expecting both MS and Sony's next-gen consoles to be on the shelves by the end of 2013, at least in their home territories.

Square Triangle said:
2010 might not have been a stellar year as far as the line up but Heavy Rain, God of War III, ModNation Racers, Gran Turismo 5 and (LBP2 getting delayed) were all fun and brought new challenges for their successor.. I'm sure they'll have something: The Last Guardian, the leaked Syphon Filter info suggests something.., God of War IV, new title from Quantic Dreams, etc.

Just wait until E3 maybe?

This has been long dead. Period.
I wish it weren't so, but that came straight from the horses mouth, they aren't making anymore.

It seems odd, as Syphon Filter with Uncharted tech and a great spy storyline would be a must buy for me.

Agree with everything else. People forget how many studios Sony has, they've never really blown their load. Year by year, there's titles to play.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
NIGHT- said:
True I guess, but I couldn't imagine a hardcore gamer using MOVE on those games for longer than 5 min

Oh KZ3 is pretty good with move. It takes some 15-20 minutes to get used to and to find the best personal settings, but after that its total awesomeness. I finished KZ3 with move.

Afrikan

being that the 360 had about a 8mil head start before the PS3 launched in the US...not counting how the PS3 wasn't even released in Europe, till months later...

it fell behind 8mil..and is about to close even...by the end of both systems life cycles...how much more do you think the PS3 will outsell the 360.....just that initial 8mil? for the one year loss...or more?

AniHawk

Square Triangle said:
2010 might not have been a stellar year as far as the line up but Heavy Rain, God of War III, ModNation Racers, Gran Turismo 5 and (LBP2 getting delayed) were all fun and brought new challenges for their successor.. I'm sure they'll have something: The Last Guardian, the leaked Syphon Filter info suggests something.., God of War IV, new title from Quantic Dreams, etc.

Just wait until E3 maybe?

well they'll have a lot of stuff for the ps3 now, and that's where the problem might be in 2013.

I don´t think that Microsoft will launch a new console in 2012 maybe in 2013.

i think microsoft's in a position to do whatever the fuck they want. they'll get to see nintendo's cards and adjust accordingly. pretty sure they were recently hiring people for next generation games though.

i think it would be in microsoft's best interest to launch in 2012. they've never really been a powerhouse first party developer, so it's hard to say what their plans are, but their motive for entering the industry from the get-go was all about preventing sony from taking over the living room. if they can do that with a 2012 launch, i think they will.

Averon said:
I don't know. The PS3 is selling decently in Japan and Europe. And, most importantly, the PS3 has been up YOY in the US, despite it still being $299. When the PS3 drop to $249 or less (probably by fall), I see the PS3 selling very well in 2012.

the real challenge comes two years from now, with the long buildup from the 2012 holiday to the 2013 holiday. if sony's alone at that time, it's going to be rough.

Omiee

A price drop to 250 or even 200 should push them to 70 million in no time, a eventual price drop to 99 when the PS4 comes out and it becomes more and more available in afriaca and southern america should push it to 100m eventually.

Omiee said:
A price drop to 250 or even 200 should push them to 70 million in no time, a eventual price drop to 99 when the PS4 comes out and it becomes more and more available in afriaca and southern america should push it to 100m eventually.

I have hard time imagining ps3 to ever reach $99. I imagine $200 will be as low as it get. maybe $170.

Ploid 3.0

I would have had a move, still want one, but I got a new PC. After getting a bit used to fps type controls with mouse and keyboard I don't know if I really need a move anymore. I just wanted it for shooters and the stuff sony come up with like that wizard game. That game looked fun.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What does this mean?

Not sure what expectations should be, or how factual these facts are, but obviously the Move is not a success. If it was even close to that, we might see some ACTUAL GAMES for it, but as of now, all is quiet. The big retail game since launch is Heroes on the Move. Do I need to say more?

It's a shame because it's the most accurate and capable controller of the bunch, but the sad truth is that it has no use outside from a few cool PSN games and KZ3 (if you're into that).

Omiee

Callibretto said:
I have hard time imagining ps3 to ever reach $99. I imagine $200 will be as low as it get. maybe $170.

why not ps2 reached 99, i can see ps3 reach 99 in 2014 or something.

onQ123

Snuggler said:
What does this mean?

Not sure what expectations should be, or how factual these facts are, but obviously the Move is not a success. If it was even close to that, we might see some ACTUAL GAMES for it, but as of now, all is quiet. The big retail game since launch is Heroes on the Move. Do I need to say more?

It's a shame because it's the most accurate and capable controller of the bunch, but the sad truth is that it has no use outside from a few cool PSN games and KZ3 (if you're into that).

5268145424_d37e89ce37_o.jpg

killzone-3-cover-art.jpg

lbp2-box-art-final.jpg

tiger-woods-12-ps3-move-cover.jpeg

mlb_11_the_show_cover.jpg

TOPSPIN_4_US_cover.jpg

did I miss something?

I don´t think that Microsoft will launch a new console in 2012 maybe in 2013.

Would be interesting to see what happens if MS would launch a new console early 2012, way ahead of Sony. I think there are a lot of people craving for a new console with PC like graphics.

TerryLee81 said:
Would be interesting to see what happens if MS would launch a new console early 2012, way ahead of Sony. I think there are a lot of people craving for a new console with PC like graphics.

But Nintendo will launch theirs new console in late 2012.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Haha, is that massive image supposed to mean something?

Tron?
Create?
Cabellas?
Sly? (awesome games, shitty move minigames)
Arangorn (supposedly the Wii version is better)
etc etc etc

I guess I'm just not one for lowered standards, no matter how dire the situation is, I'm just a realist.

Beat Sketcher, Top Darts, and Tumble are the best things I've played, but really, I expected a whole lot more than that.

Zinga

Banned
The notion that Sony is trying to make the Move look even remotely successful is laughable, no way it is even competing in the same league as Wii and Kinect for the casual market.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
TerryLee81 said:

In my experience, a lot of people are still satisfied with PS3 graphics as of now. I think people want the new system/s to be more "innovative".

NIGHT- said:
How is Move selling so well with no good games?

It says there are 155 games supporting Move.

My kids enjoy Start the Party and TV Superstars, I´ve seen people on this board enjoying Move support in Killzone 3. It all adds up you know.

jorma

is now taking requests
Zinga said:
The notion that Sony is trying to make the Move look even remotely successful is laughable, no way it is even competing in the same league as Wii and Kinect for the casual market.

Do you think that Sony should try to make the Move look like a failure?

GavinGT

Banned
Profitability is now the paramount concern for Microsoft's gaming division. I think 2013 at the earliest for their new system.

GavinGT

Banned
jorma said:
Do you think that Sony should try to make the Move look like a failure?

Would reporting their numbers in a more honest fashion make Move look like a failure?
Probably.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
GavinGT said:
Would reporting their numbers in a more honest fashion make Move look like a failure?
Probably.

that's why it's now part of the playstation ecosystem

Massa

GavinGT said:
Probably.

Yep, huge failure. Sure it shipped 8 million, but that's because each owner buys 14 of them.

GavinGT

Banned
Funny, tangentially related story - My mom recently went to one of those things where they lock you in a room for a few hours to try to sell you stuff, then give you something free if you make it to the end. I was excited because she told me they were giving everyone Playstation Moves. Well, as it turns out, after sitting there for three hours, she was rewarded with a single Playstation Move controller.....no camera, no navigation controller. So, basically, Sony is as shady as a low-rent timeshare company.

Massa said:
Yep, huge failure. Sure it shipped 8 million, but that's because each owner buys 14 of them.

So why do they refuse to give us the actual breakdown, rather than giving us this ambiguous "8 million Moves sold" statement?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
GavinGT said:
Funny, tangentially related story - My mom recently went to one of those things where they lock you in a room for a few hours to try to sell you stuff, then give you something free if you make it to the end. I was excited because she told me they were giving everyone Playstation Moves. Well, as it turns out, after sitting there for three hours, she was rewarded with a single Playstation Move controller.....no camera, no navigation controller. So, basically, Sony is as shady as a low-rent timeshare company.

Haha, they gotta do what they gotta do

Honestly, at this point they should just fly a blimp over major cities and chuck Moves at people just to get it out there

onQ123

Snuggler said:
Haha, is that massive image supposed to mean something?

Tron?
Create?
Cabellas?
Sly? (awesome games, shitty move minigames)
Arangorn (supposedly the Wii version is better)
etc etc etc

I guess I'm just not one for lowered standards, no matter how dire the situation is, I'm just a realist.

Beat Sketcher, Top Darts, and Tumble are the best things I've played, but really, I expected a whole lot more than that.

you said there wasn't any games for it so I posted the games there is over 50 games with playstation move support so your statement was wrong it doesn't matter if the games are games you don't like.

can you say the Wii isn't a success because the only game you like on the console is New Super Mario Bros ?

Triple U

Banned
Massa said:
yep and the companies are competing with each other to see who can stockpile the most.

Massa

GavinGT said:
So why do they refuse to give us the actual breakdown, rather than giving us this ambiguous "8 million Moves sold" statement?

There's nothing to break down. They've sold 8 million Move controllers - that means the wand, not the navigation controller or Playstation Eye.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
onQ123 said:
you said there wasn't any games for it so I posted the games there is over 50 games with playstation move support so your statement was wrong it doesn't matter if the games are games you don't like.

Sorry, should have clarified, I meant good games.

can you say the Wii isn't a success because the only game you like on the console is New Super Mario Bros ?

Can't really work with that one since I like many more Wii games than just NSMBW. Even then, it's a better game than anything exclusive to the Move, it's not even close. What's your point?

Gamer98

Banned
Zinga said:

Yup, and most the games blow. (that goes for Wii/Kinect as well)

evolution

Do you honestly care how much, a device you don't even own, has sold? lol

Snuggler said:
Can't really work with that one since I like many more Wii games than just NSMBW. Even then, it's a better game than anything exclusive to the Move, it's not even close. What's your point?

Most of the great games that use Move aren't going to use it excluwsively. Sony's already said that they don't plan on forcing users to use Move. So you're going to see more games from them that are like KZ3, SOCOM 4 and Resistance 3 than games like Sorcery and Sports Champions.

[Nintex]

onQ123 said:
did I miss something?
Maybe you could make the picture bigger and post the name of all the titles in bold uppercase letters. That's what I would do to advertise what seems to be mostly shovelware.

GavinGT

Banned
evolution said:

I now own a Move controller, though. A single, worthless Move controller. Thanks mom. Also, I don't need to own something to care how well it sells.

Massa

Snuggler said:
Sorry, should have clarified, I meant good games.

There are several good games available for Move. I don't see why you ignore games that are not "exclusive to the Move", particularly since most of the ones that target the NeoGAF audience fall under that category.

It's funny to see NSMBW mentioned since that one is perfectly playable with a Sixaxis controller, so it wouldn't count as a Move game to you if it were on PS3.

evolution

GavinGT said:
I now own a Move controller, though. A single, worthless Move controller. Thanks mom. Also, I don't need to own something to care how well it sells.
Which means you don't care lol...smh

Trevelyon

evolution said:

It is kind of interesting, honestly. I wouldn't consider Move an abject failure but its certainly not lighting the world on fire. Sony must've greased a lot of retailer wheels to keep that stock moving at the incredible rate it has, considering the very scant sell through to consumers numbers we have, which doesn't speak well to Move doing very well at all.

I can't blame people who really want to break the numbers down beyond the vague shipment numbers Sony's issuing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm not ignoring anything. I'm just not really into KZ3 or SOCOM, so maybe that's my problem, but I guess I just expected more out of the controller when I bought it. Even then, like I said, there are some cool PSN Move games but I'd be lying if I said the content has lived up to the promise so far. Is it wrong to expect more, or should I just be OK with the scraps that have been tossed at us?

The thing is, I want it to be good, but Sony is making it hard. Maybe I need more faith.

GavinGT

Banned
evolution said:
Which means you don't care lol...smh

Of course I care. I own a PS3 and now a Move controller, so I have a vested interest in Move's future success. If some games come out that I want, I'll make the final steps and get the camera/nav controller.

GavinGT said:
Of course I care. I own a PS3 and now a Move controller, so I have a vested interest in Move's future success. If some games come out that I want, I'll make the final steps and get the camera/nav controller.

Wait... You don't have the Playstation Eye camera?

Triple U

Banned
Trevelyon said:
It is kind of interesting, honestly. I wouldn't consider Move an abject failure but its certainly not lighting the world on fire. Sony must've greased a lot of retailer wheels to keep that stock moving at the incredible rate it has, considering the very scant sell through to consumers numbers we have, which doesn't speak well to Move doing very well at all.

I can't blame people who really want to break the numbers down beyond the vague shipment numbers Sony's issuing.
What's so vague about it? They shipped 8 million units. Am i missing something or do microsoft and nintendo break it down unit by unit where every single piece of hardware is going when they give their shipped numbers?

Awesome - now release some more Move-centric games Sony. Starting with After Dawn or whatever the hell you're calling that awesome Alan Wake-esque horror game from the sizzle reel last year.

Top Bottom