• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 3 Shipments Reach 50 Million Units Worldwide. Move surpasses 8 Million

Noshino

Snuggler said:
I'm not ignoring anything. I'm just not really into KZ3 or SOCOM, so maybe that's my problem, but I guess I just expected more out of the controller when I bought it. Even then, like I said, there are some cool PSN Move games but I'd be lying if I said the content has lived up to the promise so far. Is it wrong to expect more, or should I just be OK with the scraps that have been tossed at us?

The thing is, I want it to be good, but Sony is making it hard. Maybe I need more faith.

Meh, I don't think that Sony will be pushing it that much this gen. I hope that there better games that take further advantage of the controller+camera, but Im not holding my breath....I would put my bets on Sony pushing it more with their next console, unfortunately the Move came too far out.

Kinan

goomba said:
8 million units lol

I have 2 lollypops,1 nav controller and one camera so does that count as 1 unit or 4?

If its the same as in previous Move PR, it will count like 2.

evolution

Trevelyon said:
It is kind of interesting, honestly. I wouldn't consider Move an abject failure but its certainly not lighting the world on fire. Sony must've greased a lot of retailer wheels to keep that stock moving at the incredible rate it has, considering the very scant sell through to consumers numbers we have, which doesn't speak well to Move doing very well at all.

I can't blame people who really want to break the numbers down beyond the vague shipment numbers Sony's issuing.
I don't consider it a failure, as i've really enjoyed playing it SC and KZ3. The device doesn't have a system seller title yet, but maybe its coming. I understand wanting a specific breakdown of the numbers though, its just been pretty clear to me for a while that were not going to get those numbers.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Noshino said:
Meh, I don't think that Sony will be pushing it that much this gen. I hope that there better games that take further advantage of the controller+camera, but Im not holding my breath....I would put my bets on Sony pushing it more with their next console, unfortunately the Move came too far out.

Agreed. Considering how Move software has sold so far, it would probably be a losing proposition to invest in something better. Unless some kind of Disney magic happens, it's likely to stay the same. Sony has a lot to work out, but if they're around for the next round, I hope the Move is bundled in and we can see some more exciting concepts made possible by it.

"Move is not a success. If it was even close to that, we might see some ACTUAL GAMES for it"

My bad, I should have clearly defined what I meant by ACTUAL GAMES.

just like, not total crap that we would have otherwise ignored if we weren't trying to prove something

onQ123

[Nintex] said:
Maybe you could make the picture bigger and post the name of all the titles in bold uppercase letters. That's what I would do to advertise what seems to be mostly shovelware.

lol the picture was that big when I find it, I just posted it

& the games being shovelware doesn't change the fact that move has sold 8 million units & has games that support it. & that's what I was replying to someone that said

"Move is not a success. If it was even close to that, we might see some ACTUAL GAMES for it"

painful fart said:
It says there are 155 games supporting Move.

My kids enjoy Start the Party and TV Superstars, I´ve seen people on this board enjoying Move support in Killzone 3. It all adds up you know.
Getting a bunch of people together for drinks and Start the Party is a blast.

Trevelyon

Triple U said:
What's so vague about it? They shipped 8 million units. Am i missing something or do microsoft and nintendo break it down unit by unit where every single piece of hardware is going when they give their shipped numbers?

Vague as in, it doesn't give a remotely clear picture to the actual sell through to consumers numbers. Not saying that their competitors don't issue similarly ambiguous numbers, but there's usually fairly solid sold through data be it from NPD/GkT/Famitsu/Media Create to help corroborate the shipped or sold to retailer numbers or at least give a better picture of how its selling to the consumer.

But in this instance there's basically a blackhole between raw data and the big shipped numbers Sony's throwing up, one doesn't exactly back the other up, just be interesting to know just how many Move bundles/single wands are actually in the retail chain and how much these retailers are turning that stock over.

Snuggler said:
Agreed. Considering how Move software has sold so far, it would probably be a losing proposition to invest in something better. Unless some kind of Disney magic happens, it's likely to stay the same. Sony has a lot to work out, but if they're around for the next round, I hope the Move is bundled in and we can see some more exciting concepts made possible by it.

My bad, I should have clearly defined what I meant by ACTUAL GAMES.

just like, not total crap that we would have otherwise ignored if we weren't trying to prove something

Well, KZ3 supports Move, LBP2 does, Socom 4 does, R3 will...and these are "core" games, as is Sorcery. Perhaps you could explain this a bit more?

Omiee

onQ123 said:
lol the picture was that big when I find it, I just posted it

& the games being shovelware doesn't change the fact that move has sold 8 million units & has games that support it. & that's what I was replying to someone that said

Than he is an idiot, there are a lot of games for it. I actually love sitting on my couch or laying on it and playing flight control hd with the move, or tumble.
also tiger woods is fun with it, so is killzone 3 and sports champions.
There are def good games for it.

Wazzim

Banned
Great, so when will Sony finally make some decent Japanese games for it? GT5 turned out pretty good after some patches but other than TLG, nothing is coming from SCEJ..

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Boombloxer said:
Well, KZ3 supports Move, LBP2 does, Socom 4 does, R3 will...and these are "core" games, as is Sorcery. Perhaps you could explain this a bit more?

LBP2 does, but just in the Prehistoric Move portion which is a short local co-op game. Until a patch comes along that makes it work with user levels, it's pretty much insignificant in that game. Shit, it was even out weeks before LBP2, for what it's worth.

As I said before, I'm not into KZ3 or Socom, probably the same with R3. Maybe that's my fault, but I thought I signed up for more than just those three games. It's awesome for pointer controls, but I (maybe foolishly) expected it to do more than replace my right thumbstick.

Sorcery could be something worthwhile, but all we know of it is that brief E3 demo from last year. It's nothing worth getting excited over yet.

Grinchy

Banned
If all Move had was a collection of mini-games, I'd agree with people saying it has no games.

But it's awesome to have Move for FPS games. Just because they aren't "Move games" doesn't mean they aren't a good reason to have the controller and nav.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Snuggler said:
LBP2 does, but just in the Prehistoric Move portion which is a short local co-op game. Until a patch comes along that makes it work with user levels, it's pretty much insignificant in that game. Shit, it was even out weeks before LBP2, for what it's worth.

As I said before, I'm not into KZ3 or Socom, probably the same with R3. Maybe that's my fault, but I thought I signed up for more than just those three games. It's awesome for pointer controls, but I (maybe foolishly) expected it to do more than replace my right thumbstick.

Sorcery could be something worthwhile, but all we know of it is that brief E3 demo from last year. It's nothing worth getting excited over yet.

The upcoming PSN-exclusive RTS Under Siege supports Move, if you like such games. The genre is a completely natural fit for the controller.

itxaka

Defeatist
So basically developers now have a installed base of 100 million consoles (ps3+360) to develop for.

20 million short of ps2 las gen, not bad at all.

How much was ps2+gamecube+xbox last gen? 170 million? (120 ps2 + 25 xbox + 25 gamecube?)

So in the end, this gen will surpass last gen in total numbers.

Kinan

Grinchy said:
If all Move had was a collection of mini-games, I'd agree with people saying it has no games.

If all Move had was the Table Tennis part of Sport's Champions it would still be worth it.

Yes, its that awesome.

onQ123

do you people not understand the fact that there is so many games that use the move controller means that you you don't have to see a Move game in the top 10 for people to be buying a move controller?

you don't know how many of the people that bought KillZone 3 , Heavy Rain, Tiger Woods 11, Tiger woods 12, LBP 2, MLB The Show 11, Mag , Top Spin 4 , NBA2k11 , Resident Evil 5 & so on that bought a PlayStation Move to go along with the game, or how many people that had games & bought PSN games that support PlayStation Move & bought the controller since they already had games that work with it.

jax (old)

Banned
I want more move games. E3 or bust?

WHEN THE HELL IS SORCERY COMING OUT?!!?!?!?!

I heard something about it being cancelled but maybe not? Sketchy memory.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
itxaka said:
So basically developers now have a installed base of 100 million consoles (ps3+360) to develop for.

How much was ps2+gamecube+xbox last gen? 170 million? (120 ps2 + 25 xbox + 25 gamecube?)

If it's Wii + 360 + PS3 = Roughly 170m 6 years in
If it's GCN + PS2 + XBX + DC (if that counts) = Roughly 180m 11 years in

Trevelyon

Kinan said:
If all Move had was the Table Tennis part of Sport's Champions it would still be worth it.

iawtp

Head and shoulders above anything else I've experienced with motion controls thus far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jax said:
I want more move games. E3 or bust?

WHEN THE HELL IS SORCERY COMING OUT?!!?!?!?!

I heard something about it being cancelled but maybe not? Sketchy memory.

The PS Move interaction with Sorcery sold me on the device. Now I'm just waiting for the game to be released. It's been, what, close to a year and we've seen/heard nothing more?

I was going to bite when it was erroneously announced Portal 2 was to support the controller. Good thing that mistranslation was cleared up quickly.

Snuggler said:

Ok, then it's just games you like then. That's not exactly fair to say that there are no actual games, just actual games you want to play. Plenty of folks are enjoying the shooters, but if that's not your thing, I understand.

Forgot about RE5.

I had hopes for PS Move Heroes...yea, not so much. Hopefully Ratchet: All 4 One supports it. I hope for Sorcery to be good.

And RE4, which I'll be buying again because I'm a sucker.

onQ123

itxaka said:

so far this gen

Wii 84M +

Xbox 360 50M +

PS3 50M

184M +

last gen

PS2 150M+

Xbox 24M+

Game Cube 21M+

Dreamcast 10M+

205M

not far to go

jakncoke

Banned
itxaka said:

PS2 is way above 120. There was a 150 millionth ship news article a few months back

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-14-playstation-2-ships-over-150-million

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Boombloxer said:
Ok, then it's just games you like then. That's not exactly fair to say that there are no actual games, just actual games you want to play. Plenty of folks are enjoying the shooters, but if that's not your thing, I understand.

Nah, it's not "just games I like". I'm pretty open minded, I guess I just expected more than pointer control support for a few shooter franchises.

Chalk it up to wishful thinking.

GavinGT said:
So why do they refuse to give us the actual breakdown, rather than giving us this ambiguous "8 million Moves sold" statement?

How could they know how many "Move units" did each person buy? Of course these numbers can't be directly compared to Kinect, but that's all the information Sony can give us.

Well okay, that's not entirely true, I would like them to tell us what comprises a Move unit. Do navigation controllers count as separate Move units or not?

Anyway, so it's 2.1 million PS3 consoles shipped for the quarter? Last year's was 2.2 million, right?

Omiee

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Has that ever been officially stated?

yes navigation controllers are not counted in the total of move controllers sold.
They actually included that once in a statement.

jorma

is now taking requests
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Has that ever been officially stated?

I distinctly remember that last time around they did not count standalone cameras sold. They've sold quite a few standalone playstation eyes during the years so the numbers would be a lot higher if that was the case.

KingDizzi

Banned
It was discussed before and pretty sure the figure is comprised of move + nav so 8 million of those have been shipped. Horrible PS3 numbers compared to where the PS2 was at this stage but it shows more than anything that Wii has done well while 360, PS3 done some pretty shitty numbers. It's not been like last gen where PS2 just ripped the competition a new one, Wii has not managed to do that so it's been a pretty open gen. In terms of total sales of course, profit wise MS and especially Sony have had a horrific time. My move + nav has been gathering dust for the past 6 months so can't say those 8 million shipped are deserved, software support was been abysmal.

This generation:

Wii - Done well
360 - OK
PS3 - LOL
PSP- LOL software, hardware has been good
DS - Phenomenon, been the star this generation by far.

onQ123

B1gg_Randall said:
Wow the Wii is at 84 MILLION WTF...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6287017.html

Despite the lowered forecast, Nintendo's platforms remain far ahead of the competition in terms of sales. As of December 31, the DS had sold 144.59 million hardware systems and 817.49 million software units. Lifetime shipments of the Wii totaled 84.64 million units, with a software total of 695.37 million units sold. During the October-December period

yep in December so it's over 85 million now & DS should be close to or pass PS2 anytime now

onQ123

KingDizzi said:
It was discussed before and pretty sure the figure is comprised of move + nav so 8 million of those have been shipped. Horrible PS3 numbers compared to where the PS2 was at this stage but it shows more than anything that Wii has done well while 360, PS3 done some pretty shitty numbers. It's not been like last gen where PS2 just ripped the competition a new one, Wii has not managed to do that so it's been a pretty open gen. In terms of total sales of course, profit wise MS and especially Sony have had a horrific time. My move + nav has been gathering dust for the past 6 months so can't say those 8 million shipped are deserved, software support was been abysmal.

This generation:

Wii - Done well
360 - OK
PS3 - LOL
PSP- LOL software, hardware has been good
DS - Phenomenon, been the star this generation by far.

50M in 4 years at $299 & above is shitty numbers? lol

PS2 sold 50M in 3 years 100M in 5 years but here is the catch PS2 started of at $299 & PS3 is $299 now a price drop can send PS3 up to 100M in 6 or 7 years ,

PS3 isn't doing as bad as people made it out to be that's 50 million in 4 years & it's just getting down to PS2's launch price.

itxaka

Defeatist
onQ123 said:
50M in 4 years at $299 & above is shitty numbers? lol

I think he means in a profit way as he mentions above. 360 has finally started earning a lot of money while sony has burn trough ps2 profits.

I mean, if not its absurd as they both have sold the same number of hardware pieces.

Averon said:
So Sony shipped >2.1 million PS3s this quarter. Look like they'll fall short of 15 million shipped for the FY by several hundred thousands units.
No.Wait for Sony Q4

Omiee said:
A price drop to 250 or even 200 should push them to 70 million in no time, a eventual price drop to 99 when the PS4 comes out and it becomes more and more available in afriaca and southern america should push it to 100m eventually.
In Europe ,Asia,Brazil...,the PS3 is the dominant next-gen console right now.The PS3 will outsell the PS1.

AniHawk said:
sony really averted complete and total disaster, but i think 2012 and most of 2013 are going to be pretty brutal unless the ngp is successful. then those years will only be kinda brutal.
Detractors have been trying to kill the PS3 for years with little success.The PS3 is here to stay for a long,long time.

Is the PS3 already the Gamecube of this generation?

CNN Money :Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet

Forbes:pS3 Slim Too Little, Too Late

Majine

Banned
onQ123 said:

Among Kinect and Wii Motion Plus, I'd say Move is the one that has gotten most interesting software for it.

Top Bottom