• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Camera - Navigational voice commands

Oh nice. Still, it's cool it's being utilized centrally for a thing like Project Spark to make it easier for burgeoning game designers to do stuff like this. When you think about it, the savings something like that must allow is insane.

The reality of Kinect is that it's probably way more appealing and valuable as a technology as a PC peripheral, given that PC is just a way more dynamic platform to break deep into what Kinect is capable of. Even Project Spark would probably be better on W8 instead of XB1, imo with K+M.

And yet MS insist on pushing it in a different direction.

The reality of Kinect is that it's probably way more appealing and valuable as a technology as a PC peripheral, given that PC is just a way more dynamic platform to break deep into what Kinect is capable of. Even Project Spark would probably be better on W8 instead of XB1, imo with K+M.

I disagree, it's well positioned for the time being. Its greatest appeal lies in making interaction between people and their entertainment as seamless and natural as possible, and most entertainment consumption still happens in living rooms. Also, when it comes to gaming, it's still mostly used for fitness games, dance games and such, all requiring a lot of space usually found in people's living rooms. In most households that's still not the natural domain of personal computers.

For what it's worth, Kinect is available for PC, and the new Kinect will be as well. Microsoft would ideally want the tech absolutely everywhere, but most of its usage on PCs is still highly specialized.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Hardly - unless you're referring to the PS Eye. Optional as opposed to a forced pack-in, that's the way to go.

I don't think it validates anything either but I don't think the decision to include a Kinect in every box needs much validation for a couple of reasons:
  1. The "forced" pack-in will grow the devices user-base such that it'll be harder for devs to ignore. I think knowing that one is in every box is still a far cry that writing software targeting something you're not even sure a person owns. This still holds even if a person can unplug it.
  2. The device has been improved in just about every way and addresses "most" of the concerns people had. MS has also been a little more conservative with it's marketing [read: strong-arming] of the functionality into places it's not expected. A great example of this would be Crimson Dragon. I also think that the their willingness to court indies may pay off in spades for interesting Kinect experiences that have little to do with the spastic motion gaming associated with the last Kinect.

M3d10n

As with Kinect, why do we have to have a camera to use voice commands? Why not just a regular mic?

To further perpetuate the stupid illusion that they are selling magical hardware that makes voice recognition works, when in reality it's just a piece of software that should work with any microphone.

Just look at this thread and count how many posters associate Kinect itself with voice recognition when in reality it's just a goddamn microphone and the Xbox does all the work.

BajiRav

To further perpetuate the stupid illusion that they are selling magical hardware that makes voice recognition works, when in reality it's just a piece of software that should work with any microphone.

Just look at this thread and count how many posters associate Kinect itself with voice recognition when in reality it's just a goddamn microphone and the Xbox does all the work.
Doesn't it have a microphone array instead of just a mic? Software needs something to work with - in this case additional signals.

Good for fanboy list wars I guess but I still maintian that voice control is something that almost always makes you look like a total berk.

Ive have had devices capable of voice control since the beginning of the century and I always felt like a twat using them.

hopefully the camera will support gesture control as well, but im hoping the touchpad gets the most love as it is the most intuitive.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Source?

Truth is no one knows, just like people didn't know about voice recognition. I would be surprised if it doesn't considering Night mode is pretty common for Sony mobile phone cameras.

The PS3 Eye was pretty robust for a cheap little camera. This one looks a lot better but I could have sworn it had some different modes that certain games used.

Source?

Truth is no one knows, just like people didn't know about voice recognition. I would be surprised if it doesn't considering Night mode is pretty common for Sony mobile phone cameras.

Voice recognition is done in software. Sony's official PDFs made no mention of any IR hardware or functionality. Furthermore, if it featured an IR camera, there would be no need for lightbars on DS4 controllers (Xbox One controllers use IR sensors and thus emit no potentially distracting visible light). PS4 Eye is a natural evolution of PS Eye and EyeToy, it's not meant to be a proper Kinect challenger, but it's certainly a welcome improvement, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it enhances the Move experience.

That's cool. I like voice navigation for UI stuff.

EDIT: Wait the camera is only $59 no? Wow, pretty good deal, hehe, it's kind of funny how Sony is offering exactly what Microsoft is offering with Kinect 2, but without the $100 mark up. Assuming voice navigation works as well as presumed.
To be fair, the Kinect 2 (and probably the original Kinect) are more advanced than this so of course it costs less.

Quite honestly, I think it's shady that you can't use voice commands with the supplied mic.

There's no good reason for it, I shouldn't have to buy a $60 periph just to make that happen. Locking in voice recognition to a CAMERA makes no sense.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Quite honestly, I think it's shady that you can't use voice commands with the supplied mic.

There's no good reason for it, I shouldn't have to buy a $60 periph just to make that happen. Locking in voice recognition to a CAMERA makes no sense.

Came to post this. Don't understand why the hell voice comands should require a camera, unless it has built-in processing for that stuff (which I don't believe it does).

Barzul

Hardly - unless you're referring to the PS Eye. Optional as opposed to a forced pack-in, that's the way to go.
I disagree, but this generation should let us know with more certainty. In my opinion being forced it in is what encourages developer support.

Barzul

Awesome, hope it's as functional as the Xbox. I really hope I can say "Playstation, On! Playstation, Killzone! Playstation, play Super Saiyan 3 music! Playstation, record! Playstation, Skype ____ (assuming Skype is available for the Playstation 4, don't see why it wouldn't be though.)

Only problem is it's not included in the box, I personally don't want to go out of my way to buy the camera for these features. I might though, if it works as good as I'm hoping it does.

EDIT: Wait the camera is only $59 no? Wow, pretty good deal, hehe, it's kind of funny how Sony is offering exactly what Microsoft is offering with Kinect 2, but without the $100 mark up. Assuming voice navigation works as well as presumed.
Exactly? We'll see.

Skeff

We're still not 100% this is the case, Voice recognition has been supported on Singstar mic's for quite a while.

VanWinkle

Does the Eye have IR stuff for bad light situations?

No. its only $60 lol. What they do, though is utilize the two cameras to allow for two different exposure values, allowing more to be seen in different lighting situations. It's no IR, obviously, but it will at be significantly better than, say, the PSEye.

Saw this coming a mile away. Sony be ticking boxes.

Especially since the light on the front of every DS4 is clearly designed to work with The Eye. Sony obviously originally planned on packing it in with every box but then thought better of it.

I suspect in a couple of years it will be packed in every box.

Liamario

Banned
It's not something I or most people will ever use. It's just easier to press buttons on the pad. Automatic stuff like face recognition could be something that would be worthwhile, but telling my console what to do isn't something that floats my proverbial boat.

UNLESS they release something like Project Spark where you can make your own games and have homebrew motion capture. THEN i'd get it for that alone

Stuff like ipisoft (you can google it yourself) already can use a dual Kinect setup or a setup with 4 to 8 PSEyes to do a pretty decent motion capture on PC. I'm sure they'll add support for this camera and Kinect 2 down the line and the results should be pretty mind blowing for the price.

The only downside is that the ipsoft software cost $500 for the version that can use multiple cameras to capture.

Came to post this. Don't understand why the hell voice comands should require a camera, unless it has built-in processing for that stuff (which I don't believe it does).

I mistakenly believed that the DS4 had a mic back in February. I thought every controller would enable voice commands and chat.

I honestly still wish they'd done that.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I mistakenly believed that the DS4 had a mic back in February. I thought every controller would enable voice commands and chat.

I honestly still wish they'd done that.

Every system comes with a mono headset. (Wired earpiece and mike, that can be plugged into the DS4.)

Cool. Love having the option to buy this separately if I decide if it is something I would be interested in. It's not - but nice to have the option.

...Project Spark IS on WIndows 8

Every system comes with a mono headset. (Wired earpiece and mike, that can be plugged into the DS4.)

No, of course. But that requires people to have their headset out and plugged in, which is fine but doesn't lend itself to voice controls. If (without PS Camera) you could walk in your living room, press the PS button on your controller to wake your system, and immediately be barking commands at your system as you set your drink down and have a seat.

Of course, you should be able to do all that with the camera, but it would have been nice to get that into every unit without any peripheral needed. Just would have been a cool way to make that happen. Not too worried about it.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Hard to say if the voice recognition depends to some extend to hardware that is only available in the pipeline that is ultimately connected to the camera. But I think there is a more compelling reason:

Using the camera gives you the possibilty to ignore voice "input" if the user is not looking at the camera, giving you a nice way to distinguish commands from background conversation.

One problem that I always have with voice recognition is that you have to trigger the time of recording explicitly (by saying "Xbox" or by double-pressing the home button on my iPhone) and that you then have to deliver the command perfectly and without too much background noise, which always feels like a kind of awkward pressure. And those things might be mitigated by the additional information of who is looking at the camera and the eventual gestures he is making. They still said "Xbox" a lot during the (faked) demos, but I'd hope that the end-product does not depend too much on that.

I think the reason MS and Sony are doing voice commands via the Camera is the 4 array mics and how those mics can pick out your voice in a noisy environment.

If I can use the move functionality with the DS4 to type things out (as seen in the PS4 interface video) I will buy a PS4 Eye just for that. Hate typing shit out with a d-pad and buttons.

timlot

Banned
PS4 Camera = Navigational Voice Control

XBone Kinect = Conversational Voice Control

One is better than the other.

Using the camera gives you the possibilty to ignore voice "input" if the user is not looking at the camera, giving you a nice way to distinguish commands from background conversation.

Totally disagree. I want voice to work in the dark, and I want voice to work when I'm in the other room. Having to be facing the camera, looking towards it, is a stupid, unnecessary constraint.

hey guys wouldn't it be funny if PS4 Camera has these navigational voice commands available in most of the countries they're launching in when it's not even packed in and it's totally optional

boy that would sure be funny

Cause im sure the PS4 camera can do everything with voice commands as the X1 can..

right?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Cause im sure the PS4 camera can do everything with voice commands as the X1 can..

right?

You nor anyone else knows. Nor do I really care about this potential dick waving affair. I just want to use the camera with my DS4 and maybe my Move for games like Octodad and Playroom.

...Project Spark IS on WIndows 8

I know, thus me specifically mentioning W8.

What I meant was that because consumer versions of Kinect II is not going to be on PC until later, Spark creators on W8 would be gimped by the lack of extra functionality Kinect II adds to Spark.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
PS4 Camera = Navigational Voice Control

XBone Kinect = Conversational Voice Control

One is better than the other.
Yes, the one that will actually do what I tell it to do, rather than try to have a discussion about it.

To be fair to Kinect, I think you've poorly represented it.

Top Bottom