• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Camera - Navigational voice commands

tranciful

Glad to hear it. Always thought that was one of the stronger features of Kinect, despite the fact that all that voice stuff can work on any mic and is not something special with Kinect hardware. It's not mind blowing, but it's one of those "why not?" features. It's common enough in devices today and it can be convenient.

Just look at this thread and count how many posters associate Kinect itself with voice recognition when in reality it's just a goddamn microphone and the Xbox does all the work.

This always bugged me

PS4 Camera = Navigational Voice Control

XBone Kinect = Conversational Voice Control

One is better than the other.

I'm very sorry, but there's nothing about the demos shown of XB1 Kinect that makes it a 'conversational voice-control.'

Xbox, play Ryse, Xbox On, Xbox watch CNN, Xbox Share, Xbox Volume Up.

All these are 'navigational', as their cues to activate a distinct aspect of a programming feature that is baked into Xbox. Conversational means it understands context, whereas all Xbox is doing is catching for specific strings of your voice to active a specific string of command.

You can argue that Xbox's range of control is wider and richer, given that they've set-up more hooks linked to more voice-options (Bing, etc), but what Xbox is doing is not that different from what Google TV has been doing, or what other Smart TVs with all their similar voice/navigation gimmicks are doing.

timlot

Banned
I'm very sorry, but there's nothing about the demos shown of XB1 Kinect that makes it a 'conversational voice-control.'

Xbox, play Ryse, Xbox On, Xbox watch CNN, Xbox Share, Xbox Volume Up.

All these are 'navigational', as their cues to activate a distinct aspect of a programming feature that is baked into Xbox. Conversational means it understands context, whereas all Xbox is doing is catching for specific strings of your voice to active a specific string of command.

You can argue that Xbox's range of control is wider and richer, given that they've set-up more hooks linked to more voice-options (Bing, etc), but what Xbox is doing is not that different from what Google TV has been doing, or what other Smart TVs with all their similar voice/navigation gimmicks are doing.

The Conversational aspect of Kinect for XBone happens at the 3:00 minute mark. He only says "xbox game" once then after that it recognizes what he wants to do in a more natural conversation way without having to constantly say "xbox". This also happen around the 8:20 mark when he is using the guide to call out tv channels and shows. I'm sure PS4 camera voice will be fine, but Kinect going for for a Siri/Google Now type of voice interaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqvd06mrIrM

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
The Conversational aspect of Kinect for XBone happens at the 3:00 minute mark. He only says "xbox game" once then after that it recognizes what he wants to do in a more natural conversation way without having to constantly say "xbox". This also happen around the 8:20 mark when he is using the guide to call out tv channels and shows.

Not convinced, since the UI shown in the reveal event looked much more polished than the one exclusively demoed to Wired (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifa9Q7ATfVA).

So I don't think that the voice recognition available at launch resembles what was shown in the reveal event. There might be a brief window after the first command, during which Xbox listens to any further instructions, but that is still a long way from being conversational. Conversational would be something along the lines of:

Me: "Xbox Bing treasure island"
Xbox: "I find multiple references to treasure island. What is the context?"
Me: "A movie"
Xbox: "There are a number of movies with name treasure island. Please specify the year or an actor"
Me: "The newest one"
Xbox: "Treasure Island from year 2012, starring Donald Sutherland and Elijah Wood. Available on Netflix and Xbox movies. What is your request?"
Me: "Play it on Netflix"
Xbox: (starts playing movie)

I don't actually think we are too many years away from this kind of artificial(ish) intelligence. It may come to pass during Xbox One's lifetime, but not yet. (And it may just as well happen on PS4.)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The Conversational aspect of Kinect for XBone happens at the 3:00 minute mark. He only says "xbox game" once then after that it recognizes what he wants to do in a more natural conversation way without having to constantly say "xbox". This also happen around the 8:20 mark when he is using the guide to call out tv channels and shows. I'm sure PS4 camera voice will be fine, but Kinect going for for a Siri/Google Now type of voice interaction.

You believed that was real? He looked so natural with his hand in his pocket don't you think?

Pachimari

Btw, Kinect for Xbox One is able to talk right? Like when a new person stands in front of the tv the Kinect will tell you that there's a person it doesn't recognize and then ask the one to step in front of Kinect?

satam55

Banned
It looks like SCEE has also confirmed this with Eurogamer:

PlayStation 4 does voice recognition with new PlayStation Camera
PlayStation On?
By Wesley Yin-Poole Published Monday, 2 September 2013

Sony has confirmed that the PlayStation 4 does voice recognition through the new PlayStation Camera

However, the extent of its voice recognition features remain under wraps.

A Sony Computer Entertainment Europe spokesperson told Eurogamer: "We can confirm that PS Camera does allow voice recognition. We will share more details on this shortly."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-02-sony-confirms-playstation-camera-does-voice-recognition

Socky

It's the use the camera will be put to in games that concerns me. I'd love it to be used properly, there's some great possibilities there that don't include jumping about or swinging your arms about, but Sony have shown little ability to support peripherals with good software, at least outside the casual sphere. Move still has possibilities too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Voice recognition is another positive element, but it's the use it's put to that matters, not it's potential.

Quaz51

for a good camera voice recognition you need a 4 micro array for filtering to separate voice and ambient noise like... PS3 eye, PS4 eye, Kinect1, Kinect2

oVerde

Banned
It's like a pat on the back.. "My console (xbox) have awesome voice commands" / "Yeah, mine (playstation) have too (if I minded to)".

As some insists eyetoy could push things Kinect does.

Top Bottom