• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

Justified

Not sure why Sony keeps announcing numbers to be honest.

Is there a reason they keep doing it? Honest question.

Does it incentivize devs to develop for the PS4? To make more people buy the system? For stock holders? What?

Its to amp up investors/shareholders. Just look at the stock numbers anytime positive sale figures are announced

its to amp up potential Devs to come to a large install base

Its to amp up investors/shareholders. Just look at the stock numbers anytime positive sale figures are announced

its to amp up potential Devs to come to a large install base

And it makes for some nice headlines all over the world in the specialized press/blogs whatever.

Javin98

Banned
Not sure why Sony keeps announcing numbers to be honest.

Is there a reason they keep doing it? Honest question.

Does it incentivize devs to develop for the PS4? To make more people buy the system? For stock holders? What?
LOL, this is kinda like asking why body builders love to flex out their muscles for others to see

GutZ31

How old are you btw?

Playstation : CPU 33 MHz
PC : Intel release Pentium Processor of 100Mhz

Uh, thats 20 years ago...

You are right that something is amiss, but his comment was 10-15 years ago.
The PS2 was released in that time frame, so was the OG Xbox.

PS2 : 299 MHz
Xbox : 733 MHz
Intel PIII : Max. CPU clock rate 450 MHz to 1.4 GHz

Justified

PlayStation isn't all that profitable, so it's often glossed over.

Sony isn't doing this for investors. They're doing this to boost perception to the prospective end-user.

I know you are the resident Numbers person on GAF, so I value what you are saying.

I agree with your point its to show potential end-user that the product will be supported.

But I will disagree that they are NOT doing it for investors. Like you say PlayStation isn't all that profitable, by releasing these number it gives investor confidence that when its time to diversify their portfolios.

Not only can I put stock in the Insurance sector, but also the PlayStation side of things

SDCowboy

No, but 18.5 is. So is 13.5. He does have a point.

When are you crushing the next closest competition, why would you not shout it from the rooftops? That's like PR 101. It's no different than TV networks mentioning they're #1, or car companies advertising their car is the best selling.

Javin98

Banned
Looking at some of the posts in the previous pages and this is all I can say:
MaBxxUm.gif

But seriously, why does a thread about PS4 sales always turn into a PS4 vs PC discussion? It's ridiculous.

I know you are the resident Numbers person on GAF, so I value what you are saying.

I agree with your point its to show potential end-user that the product will be supported.

But I will disagree that they are NOT doing it for investors. Like you say PlayStation isn't all that profitable, by releasing these number it gives investor confidence that when its time to diversify their portfolios.

Not only can I put stock in the Insurance sector, but also the PlayStation side of things

Sony is a consolidated company.

It is already known the PS4 is a growth opp. for the company.

And, PS4 as a growth opp. is already factored into Sony's share price.

So, excessive PR is to boost perception for end-users only.

Happy for Sony, but this probably means it will be longer for a price reduced slim model to come out. That's what I'm waiting for. :-(

Justified

Sony is a consolidated company. It is already known the PS4 is a growth opp. for the company.

And, PS4 as a growth opp. is already factored into Sony's share price.

So, excessive PR is to boost perception for end-users only.

I stand corrected on bolded.

But I we will have to agree to disagree on that the end-users is their only reason to releasing the numbers, though I wouldnt blow that reason off at all.

I stand corrected on bolded.

But I we will have to agree to disagree on that the end-users is their only reason to releasing the numbers, though I wouldnt blow that reason off at all.

The value of the PS4 being really successful has already been taken into consideration by investors, so there is no reason to further reach out to them.

Meanwhile, Sony could always use another PS4-positive headline at all the major gaming websites because there are always more consumers to convince.

Binabik15

Announcing good sales numbers, records or milestones is free and positive publicity, because news sites, blogs, maybe even some tv news will talk about it and not just the gaming ones, either. A company would be stupid not to do it.

derExperte

Whether it's GDC, E3 or PSX, some random PC elitist will come to a thread about PS4 sales and start pouring out salt. Those guys really need to get a life

I wonder what would happen if in the next thread about good PC numbers (be it Steam users, graphics card sales, revenue) I'd call the console folks who usually pop up in droves salty peasants.

Javin98

Banned
I wonder what would happen if in the next thread about good PC numbers (be it Steam users, graphics card sales, revenue) I'd call the console folk that usually pops up in droves salty console peasants.
To be fair, it's just as annoying whether it's on a thread about PC or consoles. I don't see the point in flame wars. Why can't we all just enjoy the systems we bought?

GPU is actually around the same ballpark (edit: mine, not the PS4, you are correct on that), not much stronger. The rest kinda fits the bill. As said i reused my Keyboard/Mouse. I give you the OS, but thats still a 15€ upgrade from free Dreamspark student version. Maybe i am just to old. 15-35 years ago Arcades were machines with dedicated chips who would outclass every PC for years and PCs were some grey boxes in the basement. Now we have Steam, streams or easy setups for living rooms and the consoles with standard midrange pc hardware. That´s where i lost my motivation to upgrade these and the exclusives just don´t speak to me on PS4.

This deosnt mean i hate consoles. On the contrary. I just don´t see the value for this specific product. It´s like a apple watch to me. Neat but i already have something like it.

The only thing and only time it was true, now that I think about it. High-end PCs around that time could pull off similar experiences to consoles, but the talent for those kind of games (fighters, shmups, platformers etc.) weren't really around aside from the odd man like Epic.

How old are you btw?

Playstation : CPU 33 MHz
PC : Intel release Pentium Processor of 100Mhz
In their defense....

...back then a better CPU in the PC scene did not automatically mean it'd be able to run those games, because lots of things console and PC devs share these days were exclusive to one field or the other back then, not to mention the architectures were wildy different. I remember reading in a Next Generation magazine for example, that Intel processors would have to dedicate some of the CPU resources (between 10-20%) for state-checking analog inputs. Consoles at the time didn't have to do that because their hardware was specifically designed to not have something like state-checking an analog input's position suck away CPU power.

That claim may seem a bit ridiculous (I'd put it closer to 10% myself), but even so that isn't too hard a thing to accept when you think about it. The power of the CPU probably plays a role too but we'll assume this is a modest processor. Then take into consideration things like background PC services and OS overhead, and it's easy to see why a 100 Mhz Pentium wouldn't exactly blow past a PS1 in 3D gaming without a good deal of extra hardware like dedicated graphics cards.

Your original statement makes even less sense when you consider PCs were getting games like System Shock, Little Big Adventure, AITD and Descent during the mid/tailend of the 16-bit era. Games that would've never worked on consoles, even w/ SuperFX/SVP chips in the carts.

Jotaka

Uh, thats 20 years ago...

You are right that something is amiss, but his comment was 10-15 years ago.
The PS2 was released in that time frame, so was the OG Xbox.

Playstation:
CPU: 294.912 MHz
GPU: 147.456 MHz 4MB

PC
CPU: Athlon 1 GHz / Pentium III 1GHz
GPU:
- ATi Radeon R100: Radeon DDR/7200 : 166Mhz 32MB
- 3dfx (1999) Voodoo3 3500 TV SE : 200Mhz 16MB

The point is consoles where never the top specwise. And I am pretty sure lots of people, old enough, have hardware like that not "some grey boxes in the basement"
My first computer was a PC 386.... When the computer became wide spread it already outclassed any console game since forever.

Josh7289

Goddamn, that's a lot. But it still has nothing on PS2's lineup on the same time frame. Too bad.

Which makes me wonder much more might it sell once its library grows some more.

Congrats, Sony. You have proved without a doubt that the console market is very much alive and thriving.

The 13.5 number was for shareholders, it was in their quarterly report. The 18.5 was the "end of the year" number.

As a qualifier to this post:

Sony reports PS4 shipment updates every quarter. Internally, they have achieved absolutely no milestones outside of hitting the end of a fiscal period.

1) ps4 ltd shipped (2013-12-31) - 4.5 million
2) ps4 ltd shipped (2014-03-31) - 7.5 million
3) ps4 ltd shipped (2014-06-30) - 10.2 million
4) ps4 ltd shipped (2014-09-30) - 13.5 million
5) ps4 ltd shipped (2014-12-31) - 19.9 million

Hexa

Playstation:
CPU: 294.912 MHz
GPU: 147.456 MHz 4MB

PC
CPU: Athlon 1 GHz / Pentium III 1GHz
GPU:
- ATi Radeon R100: Radeon DDR/7200 : 166Mhz 32MB
- 3dfx (1999) Voodoo3 3500 TV SE : 200Mhz 16MB

The point is consoles where never the top specwise. And I am pretty sure lots of people, old enough, have hardware like that not "some grey boxes in the basement"
My first computer was a PC 386.... When the computer became wide spread it already outclassed any console game since forever.

They were never top spec, but I think bang for buck ration was much more massive back then. The first computer I got around 1997 was comparable to that for the time with a Pentium II but cost around $1500 IIRC.

Lots of other advantages to consoles though.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The value of the PS4 being really successful has already been taken into consideration by investors, so there is no reason to further reach out to them.

Meanwhile, Sony could always use another PS4-positive headline at all the major gaming websites because there are always more consumers to convince.

And there is the fact that Microsoft won't announce theirs anytime soon. Creating the image that the competitor is doing even worse than they are.

Demon Ice

Banned
Are people really comparing processor clock speeds in this thread, lmao.

As a PS4 + PC gamer, stop embarrassing me plz. PS4s greatest strength seems to be making insecure people salty as fuck.

ryuken-d

Yeah I personally know 10 people who are holding out for Suspend/Resume

hahahaha, I'm sure. pause and PS buttom are sufficient but I use my PS3 for Netflix. just seems like a ridiculous reason to wait unless they plan on getting games at a discount, if this is true now that's a good idea.

Pifje

What are the most bought games for the console? Because I really don't know what people would be playing on it.

I'm in my 30s, been gaming since I got my first console at age 9 (NES), and the whole argument on power output of console vs pc's is completely obtuse. PC's have always been been more powerful and have always had the ability to provide better graphics.

The above is something that everybody knew and wasn't ever a debate. I am sure the only reason why we're seeing this argument coming up at all is because the ones debating it are too young to base their opinion off of experience.

Alo0oy

Banned
What are the most bought games for the console? Because I really don't know what people would be playing on it.

Well, Shadow Fall is the best selling exclusive out of the HD twins as far as we know, beyond exclusives, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Destiny, Watch Dogs, & FIFA are the best selling games on next gen.

EDIT: Shadow Fall is actually the best proof that reviews don't mean shit to the general public.

Justified

As a qualifier to this post:

Sony reports PS4 shipment updates every quarter. Internally, they have achieved absolutely no milestones outside of hitting the end of a fiscal period.

1) ps4 ltd shipped (2013-12-31) - 4.5 million
2) ps4 ltd shipped (2014-03-31) - 7.5 million
3) ps4 ltd shipped (2014-06-30) - 10.2 million
4) ps4 ltd shipped (2014-09-30) - 13.5 million
5) ps4 ltd shipped (2014-12-31) - 19.9 million

Any idea why they released the numbers now rather than wait to the end of the fiscal year at the end of this month?

Cornbread78

132.gif

Wow....

Ya know, I wish Cream could give us the top 10 PS4 games sold and an approx # to go on for this.... IT would be glorious...

Top Bottom