• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 35.9 million sold through to end users

Elandyll

Banned
And people need to get their life together because it don't make sense.

if your baby is born Dec 31th 2015 you can't say that Jan 1st 2016 is in his/her 2nd year.
I didn't count years as in anniversary, but years as in "present on market during that calendar year", which was pretty obvious, as pointed out.
Whether it "don't" make sense to you really is your problem the way I see it.

onQ123

I didn't count years as in anniversary, but years as in "present on market during that calendar year", which was pretty obvious, as pointed out.
Whether it "don't" make sense to you really is your problem the way I see it.

it's not Xbox One's 4th year until after Nov 22nd 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69k2EZTKU4E

It really is mind boggling how many games are coming out this year. Its really ridiculous
Yeah, I'm expecting 20 million if not more PS4s sold next year presuming Sony drops the price by 50$ come November. I know people keep saying exclusives don't matter, but they're going to make a difference for the PS4 next year in selling even better than it has so far. I'm surprised there's no release of those games for May though, seems like the only dry month this year on the PS4.

I don't see FFVII Part I coming out next year though. I suspect a 2017 release, then maybe an annual release for each part since I'd imagine they have all their assets ready by then. Plus, we get DQXI and FFXV this year. KH3 and FFVII PI for 2017. FFXVI and FFVII PII for 2018. Even though I'm personally hoping the FFX sequel Verendus hinted at could be a summer 2017 release.

onQ123

And yet 2016 will be the 4th year in which the Xbox One will be sold, after 2013, 2014, and 2015.

/lesigh

That's not what you said you said

The 360 4th year (2008, 2016 equivalent for the 360) was pretty weak actually all things considered (and as it was said already, for the first few years the 360 was actually behind the PS3 in WW sales launch aligned, and even non aligned in most cases, allowing the PS3 to catch up while a whole year behind).
Things wil start getting more "interesting" in 2017, but specially so in 2018 which would be when the Kinect hit on the 360 comparatively speaking (2010).

Elandyll

Banned
That's not what you said you said
Sigh indeed.
Sometimes it's about reading between the lines and my intent was pretty obvious, as already said. It's about comparing sales during calendar years, and in that regard 2008 was the Xbox 360s 4th year (implied "of presence on the market").

I chose a formatting for the comparison, it visibly didn't "gel" with your way of thinking, and I'll leave it at that, because this is going nowhere fast.

Raylan

Banned
PS4 has sold through 35.9 million as of January 3rd, 2016
All Sony lies! How in the world do you sell ".9" of a console?

znmlkIg.png

j/k

Holy shit. That is an incredibly disgusting policy. Should be illegal honestly.
It's not illegal because their console business isn't considered a monopoly. You're not obligated to do business with them at this point, and the only real threat they have is not allowing you to do business with them. In the case of EndWar, they obviously couldn't force him to remove the feature from the PS3 version, but they could prevent him from publishing the 360 version if he insisted on making them look like a bunch of chumps by exposing the shortcomings of their platform. The choice was entirely Julian's, and it was fairly simple, cut the PS3 feature, or forfeit the millions of dollars he'd already invested in developing the 360 version, along with half of his potential sales. Hopefully, Julian learned his lesson and didn't waste any time trying to do anything special on PlayStation in his next game.

But like I said, MS can do this because doing business with them is still considered optional. Julian's not obligated to make games for them at all, and we're not obligated to buy their console, thereby putting pressure on Julian to bring his games there. MS can walk in to court and say, "Hey, it's not our fault if they're actually dumb enough to do what we say," and that's that. The government won't step in until their market share is like 90% or higher. Only then will the courts say, "Well, stupid or not, they don't really have any choice here, so now you need to play nice."

It's not really illegal to be anti-competitive, or anti-consumer for that matter, and it's not illegal to be a monopoly. It's only when you abuse a monopoly position that you run afoul of the law.

they have a lot those. No crossplay, either.
Well, it's a little more complicated than that. MS don't want cross-platform play on XBox because it helps maintain the illusion that Live Gold is magically good and totally worth the $50-60/year; double, even, or so I've been told. But at the same time, if PS3-PC play was happening, that may make PSN look sorta good, since some of my friends are on PC, and fuck, it's free… So to that end, they make the same generous offer they offered Julian; cut the feature and you'll be allowed to publish on XBox.

This generation, it seems Ono decided not to bother seeking Microsoft's permission to do as he pleased, and offered SFV as an exclusive to Sony, finally giving himself the final decision on the features and content in his game. Yay for Ono! \(^.^)/

onQ123

It's not illegal because their console business isn't considered a monopoly. You're not obligated to do business with them at this point, and the only real threat they have is not allowing you to do business with them. In the case of EndWar, they obviously couldn't force him to remove the feature from the PS3 version, but they could prevent him from publishing the 360 version if he insisted on making them look like a bunch of chumps by exposing the shortcomings of their platform. The choice was entirely Julian's, and it was fairly simple, cut the PS3 feature, or forfeit the millions of dollars he'd already invested in developing the 360 version, along with half of his potential sales. Hopefully, Julian learned his lesson and didn't waste any time trying to do anything special on PlayStation in his next game.

But like I said, MS can do this because doing business with them is still considered optional. Julian's not obligated to make games for them at all, and we're not obligated to buy their console, thereby putting pressure on Julian to bring his games there. MS can walk in to court and say, "Hey, it's not our fault if they're actually dumb enough to do what we say," and that's that. The government won't step in until their market share is like 90% or higher. Only then will the courts say, "Well, stupid or not, they don't really have any choice here, so now you need to play nice."

It's not really illegal to be anti-competitive, or anti-consumer for that matter, and it's not illegal to be a monopoly. It's only when you abuse a monopoly position that you run afoul of the law.

Well, it's a little more complicated than that. MS don't want cross-platform play on XBox because it helps maintain the illusion that Live Gold is magically good and totally worth the $50-60/year; double, even, or so I've been told. But at the same time, if PS3-PC play was happening, that may make PSN look sorta good, since some of my friends are on PC, and fuck, it's free… So to that end, they make the same generous offer they offered Julian; cut the feature and you'll be allowed to publish on XBox.

This generation, it seems Ono decided not to bother seeking Microsoft's permission to do as he pleased, and offered SFV as an exclusive to Sony, finally giving himself the final decision on the features and content in his game. Yay for Ono! \(^.^)/

The 3rd party BS is the only reason that I'm happy that PS4 is getting a big lead over Xbox One because at some point the lead will be so big that devs will make games for PS4 taking advantage of the extra features without caring if it's not on the Xbox One.

Tigress

Thanks for that explanation. I wasn't quite sure why games couldn't crossplay on PS with PC since Sony didn't mind just cause MS minded (I knew it had something to do with that but wasn't sure the exact reason). Though now that pisses me off more about the parity clause (or that MS won't allow cross play with PC).

I could be playing Elder Scrolls Online with my cousin if it weren't for MS then (She bought it on PC, I don't have a PC that can play it but I have a PS4). I wish Bethesda did like Square with FF IVX and told MS that crossplay was more important. But... I know considering Bethesda is closer to MS good luck on that (and that it's easier for Square to say that as more of their audience is on PS anyways).

Why does MS have something against allowing crossplay anyways? I mean I know why they do the parity clause even though that's obnoxious it means they also dictate features on PS this way. But I don't even understand why they don't like allowing PC gamers to play with xbox gamers.

Right you are. Sorry, I confused myself with a vague memory of talk of them moving to DDR4 instead.

The long and the short of it is, as good as it looks now, it would've looked that much better on the PS4. Simply porting the existing code likely would've allowed them to hit 1080p with almost no additional effort from the developers.

Actually, the best way to get a sense for how much of a difference something like that makes is to try it yourself. Do you have a copy of Black Flag for PS4? That was actually the game that turned me from a skeptic in to a believer. Play for a couple of hours with no patches installed, which will run the game at 900p. Infiltrate a few fortresses, climb some towers… get a good feel for how the game looks and plays. Climb to the most scenic perch you can find, take a good look around, then save and quit out. Now apply the patches and relaunch the game. You should immediately notice a difference in the scenery you were just looking at. As you repeat the activities you did previously like infiltration, you should notice that things go a lot more quickly and smoothly even in novel environments, because it's that much easier to determine which way guards are facing, etc. Even the mini-map seems easier to read. If these things aren't immediately apparent to you, either you're too far from your TV for its size, or you need a stronger prescription. Oh, or that the settings on your TV are FUBAR.

And that's just on multiplatform games. Thanks to the customizations I mentioned earlier and other techniques not available on other architectures, PS4 exclusives can make even higher utilization of the system than one would typically find in a multi-plat engine that needs to run on Bone and/or PC.
I just realized I never responded to this.

Here's the thing about what you're saying though. Although the Ps4 versions of multipat games do look good, they don't look that much better to me, at least not in the way you're making it sound like. The difference isn't as obvious to me as back in the 6th gen when Xbox1 graphics blew Ps2's out of the water even though they were comparable as part of the same gen, along with GameCube.

Multiplat games this gen are not only comparable but very close, imo. Aside from lower resolutions and stuff, differences in graphics aren't that clear cut to me. Like, games don't look that much better on Ps4 like you suggested. That makes me think either developers haven't mastered the best out of Ps4 yet and it just makes the gap look smaller, or they aren't putting there all into the Ps4 versions so as to not make the Xbone versions look that much worse. In which case if it's the latter, wtf.

You cited Black Flag, but iirc, that was a launch title. Games that came out later look much closer.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it may take a little more convincing for me. And I'm not saying that burden lies with you as well, I could just wait to see how the rest of this gen goes with multiplat games and how different the Ps4/Xbone versions are from one another
Thus we're back to my definition of dope. ;) XBox exists to distract from MS and their shenanigans, but you don't get one without the other. The hope is that you're thinking about how dope Ryse and Titanfall are, rather than "details" like their anti-consumer and anti-competitive business practices.
I hate mS's business practices. Fuck them.

Well I honestly cannot tell how much better xbl is than psn this gen, but I can say that PsN largely does not seem like an improvement over how it was on Ps3, despite being $50 more expensive. So whatever mS's excuse is for not allowing crossplay, like RexNovis said, it's indefensible.
He might be responding to e-gamer's comments on Japanese games.
Oh. Tbh I couldn't really understand what his point was, whatever he was trying to say.

The 3rd party BS is the only reason that I'm happy that PS4 is getting a big lead over Xbox One because at some point the lead will be so big that devs will make games for PS4 taking advantage of the extra features without caring if it's not on the Xbox One.

While I'm not too sure of Western 3rd party publishers, Japanese 3rd party publishers will most likely do so. Heck, most of their games aren't coming to Xbox One.

Ironically, the big developers like Ubisoft almost have less flexibility to do as they please. MS don't make the final call on what's acceptable until certification, and at that point, they've got a hell of a lot of money invested in the project, making the cool innovation seem a lot less significant by comparison.

On the other hand, I suppose even small developers have "a hell of a lot" invested in their projects, even if it's just proportionally, and Microsoft's threat to forgo the royalties from their game to make their point probably seems far more credible and well, threatening.

So yeah, probably the simplest solution is still to just stop hiring them to fuck us all over in the first place. That's the best one I've come up with, at least.

Why does MS have something against allowing crossplay anyways? I mean I know why they do the parity clause even though that's obnoxious it means they also dictate features on PS this way. But I don't even understand why they don't like allowing PC gamers to play with xbox gamers.
Well, in days past, there was no reason to allow it because XBox was where the money was; it was the premium experience, even compared to PC. Now that MS are retreating back to Windows though, I imagine we'll start seeing XB-PC play, but it will be Powered by Live™, encouraging developers to get in bed with them to get in on that action. When Live becomes the place to play on PC, they'll be able to start leveraging that influence against Steam, GoG, App Store, Google Play, etc. MS supporters will be slowly transitioned form lolPSN to lolGameCenter.

You cited Black Flag, but iirc, that was a launch title. Games that came out later look much closer.
Dude, you completely missed the point of what I was saying. ><

I wasn't comparing PS4 Black Flag to Bone Black Flag, and the fact that it's a launch game is completely irrelevant. I'm talking solely about the PS4 version of the game, pre-patch versus post-patch, because the patch bumps the resolution from 900p to 1080p, which is precisely the difference we usually see between Bone and PS4. If you do the test and don't notice the difference, that's fine, but I went in to it fairly skeptical &#8212; expecting to confirm my suspicion it wouldn't matter much &#8212; and I found the difference to be quite stark, especially when it came to how it affected gameplay.

Also, you're sort of ignoring my point about the additional flexibility of the PS4 platform, which typically won't reveal itself in multiplatform games at all, because Bone don't do that shit, period. Those techniques simply don't transfer to Bone or 99.999% of PCs, so if you think you even might bring your game to other platforms at some point, those tools are effectively not available to you, limiting what you can achieve.

I hate mS's business practices. Fuck them.
Far more succinct than I.

Bluenoser

So this piece of work on twitter believes that there's a real chance that Sony and MS are actually tied at 25m each, and the other 11 million Sony is claiming as sold are sitting in stock rooms at retail stores across the world?

I don't even....

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah, I'm expecting 20 million if not more PS4s sold next year presuming Sony drops the price by 50$ come November. I know people keep saying exclusives don't matter, but they're going to make a difference for the PS4 next year in selling even better than it has so far. I'm surprised there's no release of those games for May though, seems like the only dry month this year on the PS4.

What i'm personally waiting for is the review scores. I hate review scores, but when the masses see them, it gets people curious about games they otherwise would not try.

So if even half of the Japanese games coming out this year get good to great scores, we could be looking at some renewed interest

So this piece of work on twitter believes that there's a real chance that Sony and MS are actually tied at 25m each, and the other 11 million Sony is claiming as sold are sitting in stock rooms at retail stores across the world?

I don't even....

yep

corporate ballwashers gonna corporate ballwash!

onQ123

He's damn serious.

He might be serious about his hate for Sony but even he know that the stuff he is saying isn't real but it get him attention so he continue to say the stupid stuff because it get posted all over the internet making his name bigger.

wapplew

What i'm personally waiting for is the review scores. I hate review scores, but when the masses see them, it gets people curious about games they otherwise would not try.

So if even half of the Japanese games coming out this year get good to great scores, we could be looking at some renewed interest

I'm 99% sure PS4 will sell better in Japan this year, hopefully.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm 99% sure PS4 will sell better in Japan this year, hopefully.

True, but its more of the western world i'm worried about. It seems the modern trend of people too afraid to be called weaboo for liking animu is having some devastating impacts on the opinion of Japanese games mindshare wise, and i'd like something to really remind people that these things can really be great and worth your time

joecanada

What happens if developers want to start putting vr features in a game for ps4? Will ms use the parity to prevent them from doing it?

Like I don't see any reason cod zombies wouldn't be huge for vr if they did it

Shenmue

Banned
they have a lot those. No crossplay, either. It's raspy annoying. With owning minecraft they have such a great opportunity to create a massive crossplay multiplayer feature.not trying to be rude but why does this matter?

Nah there's crossplay. Like for FFXIV, it didnt release on xbox because Sony moneyhatted and not because of any crossplay policy.

What happens if developers want to start putting vr features in a game for ps4? Will ms use the parity to prevent them from doing it?

Like I don't see any reason cod zombies wouldn't be huge for vr if they did it
With their ~30% share, I'd hope it'd be fairly difficult for them to stop something like that. If their share were closer to 40%, they could apply considerably more pressure.

Elandyll

Banned
Phil Spencer.
One of his least commendable spins, because that got him caught in an obvious implied lie.

Orig. on Dualshockers, Square clearly says they are ready to release on XB1, but they have to have crossplay across all platforms, and MS won't go for it.
http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-xiv-could-still-come-to-xbox-one-possibly-nx-300873.phtml

Whereas on IGN Spencer was making it sound it was a business decision that was out of his hands (hint: aka Sony is moneyhatting, which is false).

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/09/19/xbox-head-discusses-why-final-fantasy-14-is-not-on-xbox-one

Top Bottom