• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 35.9 million sold through to end users

Bluenoser

Heh, this topic took an interesting twist. I still remember all the people in denial trying to keep Saint Phil on his pedestal by saying there was no proof that he lied, and 2 year old statements from Naoki Yoshida were inadmissible in this court.

Good times....

I am not certain how anyone can believe Phil Spencer when it comes to FFXIV .
In fact time and time again we see MS has a problems with cross platform play .
Maybe things will change now that we see them doing it with there own titles but RL coming out soon and they don't have it .

notaskwid

Pretty sure that FF14 director straight up said that MS's cross-play policy is what prevented an XB1 version of FF14.

Spencer is a sad pile of lies.

I've read around the net that DC Universe is coming to Xbox One and will be crossplay with PS4 and PC? Maybe it's not true? (It was on the portuguese Eurogamer's website which is really not a very credible source).

Anyway, I don't think that even if microsoft lifts the cross play with ps4 ban, Square would bother to lauch the game on xbox at this point.

Mahonay

Banned
No I don't really believe him but he did say it and I cant 100% rule it out though. He never came out and said he was mistaken.
Rule or thumb is that you should probably ignore what an Xbox executive says about games on a Sony platform, and vice versa. They're competing.

Shenmue

Banned
You can't be this naive? I mean c'mon, man, are you for real?

I already said i don't really believe him but usually execs don't just blatantly lie and not correct themselves if it was an honest mistake.

Can I with 1000% certainty say that he is lying? No.

David___

Banned
No I don't really believe him but he did say it and I cant 100% rule it out though. He never came out and said he was mistaken.

Keep in mind you say this about a man who openly defends the toxic parity clause by spinning it into something to make the xbox ecosystem feel like theyre first

I already said i don't really believe him but usually execs don't just blatantly lie and not correct themselves if it was an honest mistake.

Can I 1000% say that he is lying? No.
DSC_0169+copy.jpg

Shenmue

Banned
Keep in mind you say this about a man who openly defends the toxic parity clause by spinning it into something to make the xbox ecosystem feel like theyre first

Yeah but even there he never flat out just lied about the being a policy. Even in his spin he basically admitted that there was a policy but people could go talk to him.

As for the TR thing I think their explanation was that it was exclusive during the winter period even though it was worded extremely awkwardly.

How do you even spin the ff14 comment to be a truth if it really was a flat out lie?

I've read around the net that DC Universe is coming to Xbox One and will be crossplay with PS4 and PC? Maybe it's not true? (It was on the portuguese Eurogamer's website which is really not a very credible source).

Anyway, I don't think that even if microsoft lifts the cross play with ps4 ban, Square would bother to lauch the game on xbox at this point.

There difference is that DCUO is now F2P. FFXIV is and always will be subscription based. It's basically suicide for that game to release on a platform that's not linked to their expanded userbase. Dragon Quest X is coming to the PS4 and gamers from it will be able to play with PC, Wii U etc. gamers.

Elandyll

Banned

Nope. Daybreak confirmed that the XB1 version will be all on its own.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-01-12-dc-universe-online-coming-to-xbox-one

Also announced is cross-play between the PlayStation 4 and PC versions, which launches the week of 25th January. The Xbox One version does not feature cross-play, Daybreak added. It has its own server, and you can't transfer characters from the PC or the PS4 versions over to Xbox One.

Apparently PS4/PS3 are already on the same servers, so it'll be apparently PS3/ PS4/ PC together.

Shenmue

Banned
Remember when Phil Spencer said the parity clause is gone.

Then we had Developers come on Gaf to say it's still there?

He didn't correct himself.

So which party is lying? Not a trick question, just wondering who's lying by your standards.

That's more of his wordplay again. He's calling what most people would just call a "policy" or "clause" an "idea". In that first paragraph he admitted that there's this idea people are calling a parity clause and that "idea" exists but not some paragraph 2 section 4b type policy/clause that is unbreakable. It's dumb technicalities but that's how he wants to play it.

Bluenoser

That's more of his wordplay again. He's calling what most people would just call a "policy" or "clause" an "idea". In that first paragraph he admitted that there's this idea people are calling a parity clause and that "idea" exists but not some paragraph 2 section 4b type policy/clause that is unbreakable. It's dumb technicalities but that's how he wants to play it.

But....

Originally Posted by Phil Spencer

"It's business," he said, adding he couldn't speak too candidly about the matter. "As I've grow in this role, and I've tried to learn the third-party exclusivity thing - and you see us doing less of it now - [I've found] it's not something I'm a huge fan of."

"Different kind of deals happen, and I know that's part of this busienss, and maybe it'll be my failing in the end," he says, laughing. "But it's not something I specifically embrace with any deal that's out there, whether it's something else. It's just not something I can explicitly talk to."

He definitely alludes to Sony having made a deal for third party exclusivity for FF14. Otherwise, why mention it at all. It is their own policy holding back FF14, and he just lied about it. He lied. There is no middle ground. you are either calling Naoki Yoshida a liar, or Phil Spencer. Why would Yoshida have reason to lie?

randome

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but, anyone know of any PS4 deals? I really want to buy one but totally missed the boat for all the Christmas sales. :( Preferably Best Buy if I can (maybe I can take advantage of a price match type deal?).

Shenmue

Banned
But....

"It's business," he said, adding he couldn't speak too candidly about the matter. "As I've grow in this role, and I've tried to learn the third-party exclusivity thing - and you see us doing less of it now - [I've found] it's not something I'm a huge fan of."

"Different kind of deals happen, and I know that's part of this busienss, and maybe it'll be my failing in the end," he says, laughing. "But it's not something I specifically embrace with any deal that's out there, whether it's something else. It's just not something I can explicitly talk to."

He definitely alludes to Sony having made a deal for third party exclusivity for FF14. Otherwise, why mention it at all. It is their own policy holding back FF14, and he just lied about it. He lied. There is no middle ground. you are either calling Naoki Yoshida a liar, or Phil Spencer. Why would Yoshida have reason to lie?

I agree with your logic but like i said he didn't come right out and apologize that he misspoke and we don't have a direct response from Yoshida I believe to Phil's comments. I think the statements we do have from yoshida were in the past?

Can I with 1000% certainty say that he is lying? No.
So are you starting to understand the difference between a Microsoft Exec and a Usual Exec?

Guess not.

Shenmue

Banned
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but, anyone know of any PS4 deals? I really want to buy one but totally missed the boat for all the Christmas sales. :( Preferably Best Buy if I can (maybe I can take advantage of a price match type deal?).

Nothing right now. Fry's Electronics had the UC collection bundle for 299 a couple days ago.

leeh

So limiting the social aspect of your community is key here, got it.
Your in game chat, you talk to someone, make online buddies, you can never track them or speak to them again after. If anything, it segregates. Nothing would be able to tie into XBL.

I can see why.

Bluenoser

Your in game chat, you talk to someone, make online buddies, you can never track them or speak to them again after. If anything, it segregates. Nothing would be able to tie into XBL.

I can see why.

This wasn't a problem in FFXI though. You make friends in game, you add them to your friends list. If you want to expand that friendship, you exchange further information like facebook, email, text, etc. Not being able to hook up on XBL isn't a reason to segregate your player base from the rest of the world.

leeh

This wasn't a problem in FFXI though. You make friends in game, you add them to your friends list. If you want to expand that friendship, you exchange further information like facebook, email, text, etc. Not being able to hook up on XBL isn't a reason to segregate your player base from the rest of the world.
So every cross platform game uses a completely different social system to what's already built in the Xbox?

See the problem?

notaskwid

I can see why.

You add someone to your friend list ingame and you play with them in the game. If you want to keep contact, there are thousands of ways in which you can do so, if you and they want to.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So every cross platform game uses a completely different social system to what's already built in the Xbox?

See the problem?
Not every cross platform game. No one is saying CoD needs this, but MMOs should definitely be cross platform friendly.

leeh

Not every cross platform game. No one is saying CoD needs this, but MMOs should definitely be cross platform friendly.
Oh I definitely agree. I'm just trying to list some reasoning for why they still stand by it. It's not for no reason.

EDIT: Didn't the indie MMO which released mix with the PC? Can't remember it's name now...

First Class Citizen don't mix with other classes.
Ha.

See the problem?
Yes, the problem is you may realize you're still having just as much fun even without all that stuff MS convinced you was so special.

leeh

Yes, the problem is you may realize you're still having just as much fun even without all that stuff MS convinced you was so special.
Fun until you try to invite one of your friends to the game until you realise you can't because you haven't added any of your friends in the game and the guide doesn't work.

Oh I definitely agree. I'm just trying to list some reasoning for why they still stand by it. It's not for no reason.

EDIT: Didn't the indie MMO which released mix with the PC? Can't remember it's name now...

Ha.

None of your reasons make any sense every game should get cross platform play IMO .
For eg SFV having cross platform play is a huge boost to the community .
It easy to keep in contact in the world we live in now.

Fun until you try to invite one of your friends to the game until you realise you can't because you haven't added any of your friends in the game and the guide doesn't work.

Huh? This shouldn't be the basis for not allowing cross play. Hell, DCUO has it's own friends list in the game. A game can have a separate friends list and be just fine. Having your psn or live friend list feed that list with additional information is nice, but to think a simple issue like you stated is a good reason not to allow cross play is stretching

Top Bottom