• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

FiggyCal

Banned
I don't see a meltdown over Xbox One > PS4, a lot of people in the prediciton thread predicted a victory for Xbox One.

The only meltdown I see happening is if:
1. Last gen consoles bomb horribly
2. Titanfall or Infamous don't make the top 10
3. Vita > 3DS

Cornbread78

Which thread was the bunker pic in?

B5N6mwM.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108463158&postcount=1096

This one from last night around 10pmEST.... I think he is just trolling us for his own sick enjoyment!

cackhyena

I don't see a meltdown over Xbox One > PS4, a lot of people in the prediciton thread predicted a victory for Xbox One.

The only meltdown I see happening is if:
1. Last gen consoles bomb horribly
2. Titanfall or Infamous don't make the top 10
3. Vita > 3DS
2 isn't happening...for either game.

coldfoot

Banned
I feel this release was done to take the focus away from a slight NPD March loss by Sony, which is the general consensus anyways.

Abdiel

It is what my expecting. I believe XBO will catch up over PS4 YTD. (only 180K gap)

If lesser, it will be disappointment for MS.

Well, if that's the case, those extra 320k (LTD gap between the two) weren't purchased at Best Buy or Amazon. I can speak for Best Buy numbers, we have not seen anywhere close to that kind of velocity, not even close. And Amazon hasn't had the TF bundle or original bundle anywhere close to their top sellers. WalMart started things off with the discount, and then all the other major retailers picked it up, and after that point was when the bundle actually started to sell with some momentum at all.

I don't see it. Not even close.

But everyone is expecting that, why would a bunker be necessary?

It's based on the degree:

If PS4 == XB1, then Titanfall + unofficial bundles had minimal impact.
If PS4 > XB1, then Titanfall + unofficial bundles had no impact.
If PS4 <<< XB1, then Titanfall + the bundles are the XB1's saviors and will keep 2014 interesting.

Most people are expecting PS4 < XB1.

BigDug13

It made no difference to them since their supplier and assembly contracts were, and are, priced in USD. If there was ever a shortfall in the contracts having a stronger yen allowed them to spend less money to make it up which is why it was actually advantageous to have a weak dollar and/or strong yen.

Were none of the contracts paid in advance? If they paid for a shitload of PS3's to be built when $300=30,000Y, then at point of sale, $300=22,500Y because of economic downturn after the crash, coupled with fewer sales meaning the contracted manufacture of PS3's aren't selling as well...I don't know. I get what you're saying but it seems like there are more variables than simply "weak dollar=good".

FiggyCal

Banned
The potential meltdown would be if the Xbox One's sales are enough to put it over the PS4's LTD sales.

How much more would it have to sell to do that? I don't know what the npd totals for either console are.

NVM: been answered.

I think it's possible ytd. I still don't see a meltdown over that though. Xbox One had a bunch of price cuts in March, so it is possible.

johnny956

To have a larger stockpile for the Holidays.

I can see the demand for the PS4 this Holiday being worse than last years. Depending on E3 and what and when Sony announce their 1st Party titles, if any are due to hit before the end of the year I can see demnad far out stripping supply.

Maybe Sony doesn't want to upset to many little Johnies xmas morning.

I'm thinking Sony is looking at sales for this summer to decide if they need to increase production. If they are still selling out in the summer they will probably increase it for the winter so they have larger shipments for November/December.

BigDug13

Here's the thing. Maybe XBO sold more this month. But really based on their pallets of stock sitting in stores and their biggest game of the year dropping, not sure why that would be bunker-worthy. Especially since the PS4 sales not passing XBO for the month is purely and singularly a product of simply not having any systems on shelves for people to buy.

It's not like there are pallets of PS4's next to the XBO's and people are choosing XBO more in NA. People are simply buying the system that is in stock a bit more while being unable to buy more of the other one.

I'm expecting huge numbers for XB1 vs PS4 but with the 7 million sold I don't think we'll get the melt down people are expecting. I had 5 friends pick one up in March just for Titanfall so there you go. All the evidence we need.

Teletraan1

Banned
If the XB1 didn't beat the PS4 in this months NDP then they are in for a bad time the whole generation. The system was heavily discounted and bundled with its defacto system seller. On the other hand I don't see the XB1 as a desirable product even with the discounts and a new IP that looks to be screaming for a more fleshed out sequel packed in, perhaps others feel the same.

I think he meant just in the United States where they are basically tied.

Yeah, definitely just the US. You can loko at the PAL threads and see that the Xbox One is pretty much mirroring the 360 in terms of where it's moving units. It's doing well in the US and UK and not so well everywhere else.

Tsundere

Banned
Like myself. Heck, I've bought three Vita games, 6 DS games, and 8+ X1 games since November.

Obviously I'm not the norm....just surprised at 2-3 being the average after 5 months. :)

Well, multiple consoles (multiple PS4s) != multiple purchases of the same games, thus it brings down the average per console...

wotta

Anecdotal evidence is best evidence.

But Xbox One has been behind PS4 on Amazon all month. This means just as much as what you say. None of it means anything.

In the UK PS4 got a bigger boost in inFamous launch week than Xbox One got during Titanfall launch week. It's all impossible to know until the figures come.

iceatcs

Well, if that's the case, those extra 320k (LTD gap between the two) weren't purchased at Best Buy or Amazon. I can speak for Best Buy numbers, we have not seen anywhere close to that kind of velocity, not even close. And Amazon hasn't had the TF bundle or original bundle anywhere close to their top sellers. WalMart started things off with the discount, and then all the other major retailers picked it up, and after that point was when the bundle actually started to sell with some momentum at all.

I don't see it. Not even close.

I know the anecdotal evidences and online charting seem not reflect that XBO sold very well than PS4. But I still won't be surprise it's XBO came top because MS can buy the stock, and in-retail advertising were massive on XBO because of Titanfall.

To have a larger stockpile for the Holidays.

I can see the demand for the PS4 this Holiday being worse than last years. Depending on E3 and what and when Sony announce their 1st Party titles, if any are due to hit before the end of the year I can see demnad far out stripping supply.

Maybe Sony doesn't want to upset to many little Johnies xmas morning.

A sale is a sale, why would they risk holding some back just to get a bigger monthly number? It makes zero sense.

Darksol

My guess is that any controversy would be over One LTD overtaking PS4 (US) because of Titanfall bundles and whatnot. I think it's a possibility.

That doesn't seem Bish bunker worthy though, if the most hyped and marketed game of 2014 closed a small gap in the US. That's what most of us are/were expecting anyways.

Interfectum

My guess is that any controversy would be over One LTD overtaking PS4 (US) because of Titanfall bundles and whatnot. I think it's a possibility.

Considering Sony's info dump and emphasis on global sales I'm guessing this could be it. They are trying to get ahead of what is going to be a major headline grabber for MS. I'm sure Gies has his Twitter post already saved in a OneDrive doc.

cackhyena

Considering Sony's info dump and emphasis on global sales I'm guessing this could be it. They are trying to get ahead of what is going to be a major headline grabber for MS. I'm sure Gies has his Twitter post already saved in a OneDrive doc.
He already posted yesterday that npds were going to be "REAL interesting".

wotta

I think the Xbox One will probably sell around 350K-400k in the U.S this month and I have a feeling the PS4 won't be far behind at all. Maybe even a gap of 20k in favour of MS.

If my prediction turns out to be true, then it wouldn't be much of a victory all things considered and Sony would still have sold the most consoles in the U.S. I also expect PS4 to return as the top selling console in April.

big_z

Here's the thing. Maybe XBO sold more this month. But really based on their pallets of stock sitting in stores and their biggest game of the year dropping, not sure why that would be bunker-worthy. Especially since the PS4 sales not passing XBO for the month is purely and singularly a product of simply not having any systems on shelves for people to buy.

It's not like there are pallets of PS4's next to the XBO's and people are choosing XBO more in NA. People are simply buying the system that is in stock a bit more while being unable to buy more of the other one.

Its been quite to opposite in canada. Xbones have been moving since titanfall to the point where there's a decent chance the console is out of stock. Ps4 can be found nearly everywhere. The price increase right when titanfall dropped killed sonys sales.

I don't think ps4 are that hard to find in the states anymore either according to the giantbomb guys. Demand has either slowed or production has become more balanced now that its launched in all regions.

Top Bottom