• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm glad that the software attach rates are so high. Bodes well for getting devs/publishers to bank on new consoles sooner.

The attach rates also give some interesting info on how much more money the PS4 is going to make Sony in the long run. PS4 itself is being sold at a slight loss but they said that someone buying a game or accessory will take it into profit. 2.93 means they're making a profit since launch and that's not even factoring in PS+ fees. Compare that to the $240 loss that the PS3 was sold at at launch and it's a huge change.

Loris146

Wii U Shipments:

1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2012: 3.06 million
4 months, 14 days: March 31st, 2013: 3.45 million
7 months, 13 days: June 30th, 2013: 3.61 million
10 months, 13 days: September 30th, 2013: 3.91 million
1 year, 1 month, 14 days: December 30th, 2013: 5.86 million

Wii Shipments:

1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2006 - 3.19 million
4 months, 13 days - March 31st, 2007 - 5.84 million
7 months, 12 days - June 30th, 2007 - 9.27 million
10 months, 12 days - September 30th, 2007 - 13.17 million
1 year, 1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2007 - 24.45 million

PS3 Shipments:

1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months, 21 days - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months, 20 days - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months, 20 days - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
1 year, 1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4 Installbase:

2 days - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
17 days - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month, 14 days - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
2 months, 25 days - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million
3 months, 16 days - March 2nd, 2014 - 6.0 million
4 months, 23 days - April 6th, 2014 - 7.0 million

Thanks. PS4 is still in beast mode... WII was amazing anyway...

I wonder how long Activision's CoD agreement with MS will last at this rate...

activision doesn't care. as they've said, they attach cod to xbone and destiny to ps4 because that's how they see the audiences of the two. lol.

and ms is in bed with ea. ms will push bf5, madden, nba live, fifa 15, etc. harder come e3. i think ea was in bed with sony last gen with their dead space, medal of honour, mirror's edge, etc. but it probably did not result into something much more profitable than they expected so ea jumped ship to ms before the announcements. lol poor ea. activision has been quite clever. ubisoft has been sony since who knows when. they stuck with them all throughout even if ac4 froze on stage.

Carl

Impressive. Was expecting them to keep quiet until E3 then surprise everyone with 8.5 million sold. Which would have been impressive.

I guess losing March NPD forced their hand for some good PR ahead of MS's good PR. I think everyone expected MS to sell more in March though. Would be something seriously wrong if that weren't the case.

So the PS4 is trending ahead of the Wii! Wow! If Sony announces a price drop to $349 they will continue the Wii beating trend into next year.

My predictions:

E3 -> 55 days @ 28.6k a day = 1573k, so 8.6M to 9M

End of year -> 259 days @ 28.6k a day = 7.407M so at least 13M by end of the year

Don't believe okonnomiyaki.

PS4 is selling, Xbone is collecting dust.
This is just a claim, and not based on any sales figures

He has claimed about as much recently if you venture into Pal charts thread. I would give him a break about it if I were you :)

I don't know why this article has been flamed so hard. It actually makes a pretty solid argument. PS4 might (and probably will) wind up being a runaway success, but first-day sales figures are a very poor indicator of future performance.

Having sustained this pace for the past 5 months, on the other hand, does paint a very bright picture for this console's future.

It's dumb because it disregards the success of the PS2 and simply says 'look at all these consoles that didn't sell so well' as a precursor to the PS4's potential decline.

bananas

Banned
I still don't under stand this.

Also, Xbox... hope this is working for you, cuz damn...
Desperate.jpg

Microsoft has a marketing deal with Call of Duty.

I can't believe how much this system is selling. I'm a huge PlayStation fan and while I'm getting a PS4 later this week (got it at a killer deal) it still baffles me it's selling this much. I know Infamous SS just came out (which will be my first PS4 game) but the library is still pretty limited...what is pushing these sales? Sony's good faith with consumers?

Guymelef

Apparently the PS4 is selling like crap in NZ

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=770384&page=2

PS3 and PS4 Sales Dominate In New Zealand

Also, from PAL charts thread.

New Zealand:
Week 14, 2014 - Full Price Games (All Formats)
01 (NE) THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
02 (01) INFAMOUS: SECOND SON (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
03 (NE) DON BRADMAN CRICKET 14 (TRU BLU ENTERTAINMENT)
04 (05) CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
05 (09) MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)
06 (07) BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (10) ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
08 (08) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
09 (__) FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
10 (04) FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD REMASTER (SQUARE ENIX)
No Titanfall.

Wii U Shipments:

1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2012: 3.06 million
4 months, 14 days: March 31st, 2013: 3.45 million
7 months, 13 days: June 30th, 2013: 3.61 million
10 months, 13 days: September 30th, 2013: 3.91 million
1 year, 1 month, 14 days: December 30th, 2013: 5.86 million

Wii Shipments:

1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2006 - 3.19 million
4 months, 13 days - March 31st, 2007 - 5.84 million
7 months, 12 days - June 30th, 2007 - 9.27 million
10 months, 12 days - September 30th, 2007 - 13.17 million
1 year, 1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2007 - 24.45 million

PS3 Shipments:

1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months, 21 days - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months, 20 days - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months, 20 days - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
1 year, 1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4 Installbase:

2 days - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
17 days - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month, 14 days - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
2 months, 25 days - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million
3 months, 16 days - March 2nd, 2014 - 6.0 million
4 months, 23 days - April 6th, 2014 - 7.0 million

Mother of god.

Log4Girlz

Thanks. PS4 is still in beast mode... WII was amazing anyway...

Thing with the Wii is that Nintendo could have sold absolutely any number they put on shelves. Now, I'm not saying its not that way with the PS4, but I believe they've done a much better job in supplying consoles.

I can't believe how much this system is selling. I'm a huge PlayStation fan and while I'm getting a PS4 later this week (got it at a killer deal) it still baffles me it's selling this much. I know Infamous SS just came out (which will be my first PS4 game) but the library is still pretty limited...what is pushing these sales? Sony's good faith with consumers?

Its got the biggest library of games out of the next gen consoles...

last new systems were 8 years ago. 8 years. that's going through high school and university and one year of unemployment.

fred

Wonder how long it's going to be before it sells twice as much as the Xbox One..? Microsoft really need to knock E3 out of the park imo.

Darknight

*prior to PS4 release*

"Hey guys!!! Guys the WiiU sold like shit so obviously the PS4 will too. I mean consoles are dying and if you think PS4 will do as good as the WiiU has done so far, you are crazy!..."

"..PS4 will not do PS360 numbers next gen, just look at WiiU.."

Loris146

Thing with the Wii is that Nintendo could have sold absolutely any number they put on shelves. Now, I'm not saying its not that way with the PS4, but I believe they've done a much better job in supplying consoles.

Yes. WII was out of this world also here in Italy :) It was sold out everywhere in December.

Albo

Awesome, they deserve it. I wonder whether the momentum would continue in the coming 2 quarters when games release are usually infrequent, but looking at it now it's a decent lineup (for Q2 anyway) enough to keep the it going till the big guns release at the end of the year, plus playstation now is scheduled for summer release I believe.

April
King Oddball
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends
Lego The Hobbit
Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn
Pure Chess
Daylight

May
Child of Light
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Bound by Flame
Transistor
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Watch Dogs

June 2014
Last of Us Remastered (likely)
Murdered: Soul Suspect
EA Sports UFC
Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark

August 2014
The Evil Within

E3 is sure to build more hype+reveals and that there are still games without release dates that might release in summer plus more hardware stock.

What is the Wii U at again? Like 15 million or something I thought?

z0OfV.gif

Or maybe they are setting up for a one two punch. We will find out tomorrow.

do the HW manufacturers get numbers faster or do they simply go by internal numbers? does Sony know already or do they get the report at the same time as everyone else?

I am sure MS 'won' March's NPD and that will come out tomorrow, but where is the wisdom in this as a pre-emptive strike to that?

Surely a better retaliation (or lunge for the throat/sweep to the legs/etc) would be to announce 7 million sold after MS announces their NPD figures, not before.

Why announce prior to a loss when the message will be immediately drowned out by the competition's victory? Nobody will be talking about 7 million sold for very long if NPD isn't in their favour tomorrow. Seems like an absolute waste to announce it right before it then.

If they lost, it would have been much smarter to announce this number Friday.

announcing this after thursdays numbers would seem reactionary and make them look weaker. I think it's better to announce now and portray confidence in their product no matter the outcome of NDP numbers.

qream

As an aside, I've been in Brazil for the last two months up and down the country, and there definitely seems to be more Xbone's over here.

I've only seen one or two shops stocking PS4's. Maybe Brazil is the only major country MS is winning in.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Microsoft assemble their console in Brazil in order to avoid the insanely high taxes?
Sony doesn't have that luxury as their console is taxed so heavily, the cost rose to $1800 USD.

213372bu

Banned
Also, from PAL chartz thread.

New Zealand:
Week 14, 2014 - Full Price Games (All Formats)

No Titanfall.
All I see are 10 boxes games there, it doesn't tell us anything about sales. I'm just stating what I see.

In all honesty, Xbox sales in general outside of US, and partially, Uk are pretty bad. Doesn't help with countries taxing the hell out of these new consoles though.

Majmun

Wii was a monster. But it basically stopped selling four year after release. Like, literally stopped moving units all of a sudden.

Ps4 won't reach Wii's first or second year's sales number, but I expect the Ps4 to outsell total Wii sales in the end.

Super long previous generation + selling at a substantially cheaper price point + the plethora of bad MS XBOX PR prior to the One launch (yes, this did effect public perception) = More sales. I'd say software had very little to do with it.

Mooreberg

Double the sales of PS3 in the same time period makes sense when you consider how much better they have handled things this time around. It does not even seem like the same company.

Culex

Banned
Those Wii figures show how INSANE it took off after the same relative time compared the PS4. 24 million in 13 months! PS4 won't do that.

Wonder how long it's going to be before it sells twice as much as the Xbox One..? Microsoft really need to knock E3 out of the park imo.

how? playstation is so far ahead in terms of gaming.

they have vr. they'll be launching a games streaming service in the coming months. they have a one-button upload to twitch, take-screenshot feature, they have more than a dozen deals with indies, instant game collection is so far ahead as well.

213372bu

Banned
do the HW manufacturers get numbers faster or do they simply go by internal numbers? does Sony know already or do they get the report at the same time as everyone else?
Well they are in charge of their own numbers as well. The numbers mentioned on the game side seem to include Playstation Store sales, something the NPD has yet to count.

Top Bottom