• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Backwards Compatibility Tested - And It's Fantastic!

Md Ray

Could AC Unity just be using 18 CUs at 800 MHz on PS5? :pie_thinking:

Those PS4 Pro games like Sekiro for e.g. are already using 36 CUs since Pro also has 36 CUs. All it required from PS5 was to give it full 2230 MHz of boost clock for 2.45x multiplier and 2.05x on the memory bandwidth side for a locked 60fps.

Makes you think that if Sony had gone with wider + slower GPU, and assuming PS4 Pro back-compat games only used 36 CUs, then you wouldn't have seen that 2.45x boost which I think is what keeps a lot of these unlocked frame-rate games running at locked 60fps even though some of them dipped beneath 30fps on Pro.

Last edited:

cosmicom

Banned
Biased review. 2k hitman in ps5 is rocky 60fps, 4k in Series X is 60fps with minor drops, and they say that BC is better in ps5? not fair. Same with Sekiro and other games.

Haha this is awesome. PS5 is becoming a heavy hitter on all aspects.

Sony wasn't going to drop the ball. They may be a bit cocky right now, but they weren't going to release a bad box. Same with Microsoft. To think either the Series X or PS5 were going to be dramatically worse than the other in any category is fueled by bias.

However, as someone who prefers the Sony platform, it is incredibly nice to keep seeing consistent praise come out of the console previews. I can't wait to get my hands on a PS5.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Very nice results overall with a few weird outliers.

Excited to replay some games (and play some I haven't) at 60fps. I'm ok with them not being at 4K.

So that PS4 and Pro Legacy mode isn't being utilized then. I'm glad that PS5 BC is more or less comparable to XSX.

I'm really looking forward to playing Nioh 2 with the high res/graphics mode at 60fps.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5 is auditioning backwards compatibility for SONY they want to see how it performs all while still making AAA games (leading revenue)

NEbeast

Sure about that, pal? I mean we all know that John loves to shit on Xbox. I mean he even said that Xbox doesn’t have a ray tracing title at launc, although we do have Watch Dogs Legions with Ray Tracing

EmJIASsU0AAK9z6

Also, would love to know which games now do work or not.
Ubisoft already said there would be issues. Get over it.

Salz01

Has it been confirmed that we can run PS4 games on an external harddrive like dark souls 3, and still hit 60fps? Or does the game have to be insallted on the PS5 hard drive?

Wizz-Art

When reading the thread title I thought PS had BC for the previous generations like Xbox does, I love the PS360 gen and I would love to finally unplug my PS3 and have my digitally purchased library of games come with me just as easy like on Xbox. I was really disappointed to read that was not the case and their BC solution is still poor in comparison.

Romulus

When reading the thread title I thought PS had BC for the previous generations like Xbox does, I love the PS360 gen and I would love to finally unplug my PS3 and have my digitally purchased library of games come with me just as easy like on Xbox. I was really disappointed to read that was not the case and their BC solution is still poor in comparison.

PS3 hasn't been a part of the discussion for a long time. No one expected it either, the PS3 hardware is very difficult to emulate. In my case its not a big deal, I hated ps3.

Keihart

And the only game that mattered was left in the dust.
The world may not be mended and the hunt continues.

Skifi28

For some reason I let the downers confuse me. I was thinking games like Ghost would be close to 60fps with some dips, but one of the most hectic scenes in the game was locked 60fps. Fucking impressive.

Yeah, if that scene in Tsutsima managed to be 60, it's great news for the rest of the game. The small days gone clip also seemed pretty promising, though I'd wait for some horde footage. Still, good news all around. Don't let all others get you down, I'm sure there's still people saying "only 100 games" somewhere.

Wizz-Art

PS3 hasn't been a part of the discussion for a long time. No one expected it either, the PS3 hardware is very difficult to emulate. In my case its not a big deal, I hated ps3.

There was some talk of a PS surprise, it was a long shot but I would've loved it as I still own a decent ammount of digitally purchased games on PS3. I know it's likely impossible to emulate PS3 but they added hardware chips to PS3 to emulate PS2 games, I know they can but it's a money thing I suppose.

I was multiplatform previously owned the PS1 and 2 also but when PS4 was confirmed to not have PS3 BC my trust in their ecosystem took a hit also some other stuff which made me uncomfortable like the big data hack and their non-existent customer support.

I went Xbox One only this gen and when they started adding 360 games to my library automatically over time I knew I made the right choice. Also I fell in love with the 360 controller so the Xbox One controller which was an improved iteration of that was a big pro too to make the switch. I always hated the DS controllers.

lachesis

This is a good news for me. At least PS4 games would run a lot better than it did on originals. Perhaps I would get rid of my PS4 pro, and add the cost towards eventual SSD upgrade.

It's a terrible shame that they dropped the PS3/PS2/PS1 BC though. I would have loved to see the MGS4 running full 60fps and all.
Also what's even worse is not being able to move your PS5 games to external HDDs for storage too like Xbox does...

Granted, Xbox doesn't run all the old games (especially OG Xbox games) - but at least they've tried & implemented it - I am very much looking forward to visit some of the 360 games (like NG2) as well as original Xbox games.... and for that reason alone, I don't think I can call PS5 BC a "fantastic" one. It may be a fantastic for PS4 games, but when it leaves out 3 generation worth of games entirely... I don't know.

Justin9mm

christ at the end of the video that scene from Killzone still pretty much blows everything ive seen to date out of the water... man that game was such a fucking looker and now running at 60fps...
Too bad the gameplay is shit.. I honestly started playing this again last month on my Pro.. I got it and completed it at launch but bought the digital copy on cheap sale and thought I would re-visit. I wish I hadn't!

The gameplay did not age well.. There are some beautiful looking scenes but the game was borderline unplayable with the AI, objectives etc. I went back and played it because I commented on how average it was a while ago on GAF and people were telling me I'm wrong. I think people forgot what it was like!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Some of these games have locked frame rates. It does not matter how much power is thrown at them.

Mithos

Any improvements for God of War or HZD?

Horizon Zero Dawn have a "Favour Resolution" and a "Favour Performance" mode, BUT...
They both is targeting 30fps, "Favour Resolution" is 4K Checkerboard, while "Favour Performance" is 1080p.
No unlocked modes here, so, a PS5 specific patch will be needed if we want native 4K and/or 60fps.

Last edited:

WildBoy

Digital Foundry are just trolling at this point. The praise seems more out of surprise that anything. John's comment in the Miles review that it has way more pedestrian traffic made me turn on Spiderman on my PS4 pro... NPCs everywhere and block to block traffic...

Shmunter

Glad to hear it. Can't wait to play the PS4 games I missed! Wonder why they weren't more forthcoming about it in their messaging.

Worth noting that one of the reasons for it "to run better than XSX" is this:

Man, games with the fidelity of e.g Days Gone at full fat 60!!?!! Get your fainting couch ready.

Puskas

Pretty sure it was 1080p30 locked? It won't be any different.
I’m almost willing to bet my left nut that Evo had the game running and were showcasing it at 60fps on at atleast one occasion. That was before they locked it to 30 due to the game looking pretty shit as a result.

🤷‍♂️

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
As I didn't get to tlou2 (loved the first) this is good news. Still hoping for a native patch for it though, either way I'm happy.

Ozzie666

This is highly positive coming from these guys. You get the feeling there were really impressed, above expectations. Both consoles are solid.

bender

What time is it?
Nioh/Nioh 2 helped set the trend for graphics options this past generation. I'd love to see them tested.

Pimpbaa

Digital Foundry are just trolling at this point. The praise seems more out of surprise that anything. John's comment in the Miles review that it has way more pedestrian traffic made me turn on Spiderman on my PS4 pro... NPCs everywhere and block to block traffic...

High off the ground? No Spiderman on PS4 Pro does not.

Self

Well, that is surprise...
Most last gen games will actually run better on PS5 compared to XSX.

Doesn't matter. Both perform excellent.

Top Bottom