• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Saw this mentioned on Reddit.
Channel was updated yesterday but no new videos have surfaced yet but may be set to private in advance of the upcoming state of play.

8VGob54.jpg

SaucyJack

So now that the Next-Gen chat has been locked ......

Been thinking about what Sony May still have to show us. This is what I came up with:

General
- UI features - create, activities, suspend/resume, etc
- backwards compatibility details
- VR improvements
- PS Now, PS Plus changes/enhancements
- PS Store changes

First Party
- next-gen upgrades of first party games
- Naughty Dog: Factions multi-player, TLOU2 expansion, tease of next big project
- Santa Monica: God of War 2
- San Diego: MLB The Show 21, a collaborative project?
- “Secret“ San Diego Studio: Uncharted?
- Guerrilla: first person shooter
- PixelOpus: next project
- Japan Studios: Kouno project (RaySpace?), Toyama project (Silent Hill?), Iijima project (Knack 3?)
- Mark Cerny project (Jak? Ape Escape?)
- Bend Studios: next project
- Media Molecule: next project
- London Studios next project

Third Party
- Arrowhead Games: Testament
- Wild Sheep: Wild

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Saw this mentioned on Reddit.
Channel was updated yesterday but no new videos have surfaced yet but may be set to private in advance of the upcoming state of play.

8VGob54.jpg

So expect the announcement soon (as much as I hate the use of this now meaningless word)

geordiemp

Nice, the spec thread has been successfully closed in a collective effort of the discord gang. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Well its your own fault.

Eastwood baiting everyone and arguing about ps5 graphics, only had PC versions of Halo and Flight sim as back up and still managed to hook every poster.

VFX veteran likes to argue about PC superiority over puny consoles based on his CGI offline background and has no background in gaming. NOT relevenat to a console next gen speculation thread he will change the discussion every time to DLSS 2.0 and CGI renders, but everybody argued with him again and could not help themselves.

Its like ground hog day.

Put those 2 on ignore and done as they just keep repeating the same stuff. If you reply, you are the problem.

Last edited:

ToadMan

It's for the best. The thread has run its course, and I got the impression mods were just using it to contain all toxicity in there.

I agree actually. It seems to me that after that MS show we basically had seen what both sides are offering and are capable of in the next year or so. The final speculation was whether MS could do better than the May show - we got our answer.

Still if either Sony or MS screw up again the whole forum will be infected instead of just one thread. If the mods don’t mind it’s fine with me but I don’t think this is the end of the story. Troll threads incoming....

SgtCaffran

FWIW I was wrong about that UE5 768mb number being for textures; it's for Nanite virtual geometry.

Would really like to know more about their techniques... how do 1 billion triangles fit in that memory footprint?

I think they are being sneaky with numbers and talking about source data and not what actually gets rendered but maybe I'm missing something.
Easy, they don't have billions of triangles in memory. If you want to look it up use the term micropolygons.

From how I understand it they do the following:
- Take the highest quality asset
- From this model create a low-poly model and a set of 8K texture maps that capture all the detailed geometry (with some form of tessellation)
- In the game, determine which texture map is required to achieve roughly a triangle size of 1x1 px
- Use the texture maps required to rebuild the geometry. All geometry will have pixel size triangles so closer models will automatically have high detail and further models will have low detail
- The triangle budget per frame will be fairly constant (10M I believe Epic stated, this is I believe what is represented by the +/- 800MB RAM)
- When this step is complete, the rest of the texturing/lighting can be done as normal

See here for some more background: . I also remembered another webpage where they showed the reconstruction of the geometry better but cannot find it anymore.

J_Gamer.exe

Well its your own fault.

Eastwood baiting everyone and arguing about ps5 graphics, only had PC versions of Halo and Flight sim as back up and still managed to hook every poster.

VFX veteran likes to argue about PC superiority over puny consoles based on his CGI offline background and has no background in gaming. NOT relevenat to a console next gen speculation thread he will change the discussion every time to DLSS 2.0 and CGI renders, but everybody argued with him again and could not help themselves.

Its like ground hog day.

Put those 2 on ignore and done as they just keep repeating the same stuff. If you reply, you are the problem.

I was many pages behind and just about to reply then boom locked grr..

I can't believe some were still pushing the hellblade2 angle. It being real time or in engine isn't that impressive.

He claimed it was on SX but 7 months later we never saw anything running on a SX so it's very unlikely.

Also people love to forget this bit...

Let's remember... Digital foundry said...

"But what if it were real-time? The raw specs of the trailer file itself are intriguing. If you look at the metadata of the video - it is mastered at just 24 frames per second and the actual resolution of the rendered frame between the cinematic black bars is 3840x1608: so a little more than 74 per cent of a 'real' 4K in spatial resolution and at 80 per cent of 30fps. All together, that is 60 per cent of the amount of pixels pushed per second compared to 4K30 - and something that's decidedly easier to render than you may expect."

So they have presented something that was so early, given nothing was shown 7 months later on SX so that was likely on PC, at a res and framrate that helps get a huge performance boost out of, that presumably won't be available in the actual game as it surely won't run at 3840x1608 and 24fps.

So if the game runs at a standard 4K30 things will already have to look significantly worse that what they showed....

PS5 really hit home with that one line of all running on the actual console, Ratchet gameplay was pre alpha and still looked amazing. All this talk of early builds that was shown a month earlier than Halo and was meant to be shown beginning of June. So imagine it now 😄

geordiemp

I was many pages behind and just about to reply then boom locked grr..

I can't believe some were still pushing the hellblade2 angle. It being real time or in engine isn't that impressive.

He claimed it was on SX but 7 months later we never saw anything running on a SX so it's very unlikely.

Also people love to forget this bit...

Let's remember... Digital foundry said...

"But what if it were real-time? The raw specs of the trailer file itself are intriguing. If you look at the metadata of the video - it is mastered at just 24 frames per second and the actual resolution of the rendered frame between the cinematic black bars is 3840x1608: so a little more than 74 per cent of a 'real' 4K in spatial resolution and at 80 per cent of 30fps. All together, that is 60 per cent of the amount of pixels pushed per second compared to 4K30 - and something that's decidedly easier to render than you may expect."

So they have presented something that was so early, given nothing was shown 7 months later on SX so that was likely on PC, at a res and framrate that helps get a huge performance boost out of, that presumably won't be available in the actual game as it surely won't run at 3840x1608 and 24fps.

So if the game runs at a standard 4K30 things will already have to look significantly worse that what they showed....

PS5 really hit home with that one line of all running on the actual console, Ratchet gameplay was pre alpha and still looked amazing. All this talk of early builds that was shown a month earlier than Halo and was meant to be shown beginning of June. So imagine it now 😄

Just ignore or dont bite. Its easy. Or just troll back Cut scene Hedllblade 2 example

Gameplay expected

KxYO8uU.png

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Just ignore or dont bite. Its easy. Or just troll back Cut scene Hedllblade 2 example

Gameplay expected

KxYO8uU.png

Well my point was aboit the metrics used to display that hellblade graphics.

Seeing as in the PS thread let's turn it around.

What could the PS5 have shown at 3840x1608 and 24fps? (60% of 4K30).

Horizon and others looked amazing at 4K30 so imagine the huge boost to available performance in a trailer with black bars and 24fps.

The performance saved by doing it is huge.

But if games don't run like like its very misleading.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Well my point was aboit the metrics used to display that hellblade graphics.

Seeing as in the PS thread let's turn it around.

What could the PS5 have shown at 3840x1608 and 24fps? (60% of 4K30).

Horizon and othets looked amazing at 4K30 so imagine the huge boost to available performance in a trailer with black bars and 24fps.

The performance saved by doing it is huge.

But if games don't run like like its very misleading.

Still its a pointless discussion, great a 2080ti can run a trailer - I just dont care, fool me 1000 times and er something like that....

Until we see actual games running on actual hardware all this target crap is laughable. Only stuff worth talking about was Kena and Ratchet showed decent gameplay.

Hopefully we get something on actual consoles this month, cutting it short for console gameplay should be the point of discussion - are MS struggling time wise ?

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Still its a pointless discussion, great a 2080ti can run a trailer - I just dont care, fool me 1000 times and er something like that....

Until we see actual games running on actual hardware all this target crap is laughable. Only stufff worth talking about was Keno and Ratchet showed decent gameplay.

Hopefully we get something on actual consoles this month, cutting it short for console gameplay should be the point of discussion - are MS struggling time wise ?

Well it was more for people claiming it to be the saviour of graphics when its probably 2080ti and also the metrics mentioned it probably won't use in gameplay anyway, all rather misleading.

So them not showing anything so far is mysterious and worrying and suggets behind behind and or issues.

Split ram, fully utilising more CUs, maybe not the thread but could affect performance.

Similar with PS5 cache scrubbers, geometry engine etc except the other way. Things that can affect performance that are not included in straight power comparisons.

One things for sure, on what's been delivered so far and if you came into this without any prior knowledge, you would say PS5 looks more powerful and thats MS fault for not being able to show why its the most powerful if indeed it is in any significant amount in real world performance.

Vaztu

Do you guys actually want 4k resolution in your games ?

I dont mind next-gen games using checker-boarding or other upscaling methods and push the extra power somewhere else.

Do 4k/8k textures look degraded when upscaling resolution(1440p to 4K) as to native 4k?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

I dont mind next-gen games using checker-boarding or other upscaling methods and push the extra power somewhere else.

Do 4k/8k textures look degraded when upscaling resolution(1440p to 4K) as to native 4k?
If the upscaling mechanism makes it look almost as good (to a level where I have to oom 400% to see the difference), then I wont mind what internal resolution its running at. But if its a blurry mess where I can notice the difference between it an native easily, then I would rather have 4K native.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well its your own fault.

Its like ground hog day.

Honestly, what did the xbox fanboys bring to the table except fallacies, FUD? I would rather participate here about the console that I really care about.

Much prefer native 4K to 1440p w/ your standard upscale

If they're doing checkerboarding or something similar then that's more preferable. Native 4K is a complete waste if you can do that magic.

hemo memo

Gold Member

I personally don’t. I would rather they put it in performance or give the option. They should give the option for most games and let the players decide.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I would rather have native 4K but don't mind a new version of checkerboarded 1440p-1800p for more demanding games or 60fps mode.

Gamernyc78

Banned
What do you guys think Playstation 5's first year will look like, only counting games either developed or published by Sony?

• Nov: Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Astro's Playroom
  • Dec:
  • Jan: Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Feb: Demon's Souls
  • Mar: MLB 21: The Show
  • Apr: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • May: Destruction AllStars
  • Jun: Returnal
  • Jul: Untitled The Last of Us multiplayer game
  • Aug: Horizon Forbidden West
  • Sep:
  • Oct: Gran Turismo 7
I don't think the above is unrealistic. What do you guys think?

I posted a link with rumored launch and schedule of game releases few days ago.

geordiemp

We'll find out soonish AMD's answer to DLSS 2.0. I think AMD has been R&Ding next gen upscaling tech alongside Sony as it's going to be a big thing for consoles and PC graphics cards going forward.

Its already not needed. You have already seen modern lastest temporal techniques on pixel sized triangles so who cares ?

If you think the above can be improved upon.....I dont know what to tell you.

The best question is has Ps5 put in any silicon to help performance of latest temporal techniques we have seen from Insomniac and EPIC

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
We'll find out soonish AMD's answer to DLSS 2.0. I think AMD has been R&Ding next gen upscaling tech alongside Sony as it's going to be a big thing for consoles and PC graphics cards going forward.

Well, checkerboard hardware on PS4 Pro was ahead of DLSS in image reconstruction. So expect even more from PS5. Even to date Detroit, Death Stranding stand tall against native 4K on PC 2080Ti, and with no weird results of DLSS.

Well its your own fault.

Its like ground hog day.

tenor.gif

But seriously geordiemp geordiemp is right that we need to stop engaging with the trolls. Just report them and move on is the best way to deal with them. It's better to have several people reply banned then to have the whole thread locked down. There's still plenty of speculating left to do and the thread is a good source of discussions on rumors. But let's try and not lose it when we get it back.

geordiemp geordiemp the ignore function isn't 100% foolproof though. I have Eastwood on ignore but I still see the effects of him detailing a thread. And when people post pictures of his comments I still see them. Just something to keep in mind if some people here use the ignore function.

geordiemp

tenor.gif

But seriously geordiemp geordiemp is right that we need to stop engaging with the trolls. Just report them and move on is the best way to deal with them. It's better to have several people reply banned then to have the whole thread locked down. There's still plenty of speculating left to do and the thread is a good source of discussions on rumors. But let's try and not lose it when we get it back.

geordiemp geordiemp the ignore function isn't 100% foolproof though. I have Eastwood on ignore but I still see the effects of him detailing a thread. And when people post pictures of his comments I still see them. Just something to keep in mind if some people here use the ignore function.

I just post halo memes at Eastwood, he is never discussing any point worthy of discussion. Maybe we should all do that, would be funny.

rvfJwBJ.jpg

Gamernyc78

Banned
tenor.gif

Bro if you put them all on ignore they have no one to argue with, problem solved. I have like 100 Schills on ignore right now 😂 just do it. Tht dude trolladolescent, fake insider I've had on ignore since circa 2018 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Top Bottom