• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Bryank75

Banned
Holy crap, yes. So taken back by the FS theory that I missed that Crunchyroll and Funimation could become 1 thing and thus making Sony the Anime powerhouse and the PS5 the weeb machine...
That's another megabomba in owning an entire market!
It's a great thing to be in because comics have collapsed as a business.... DC had massive layoffs and Marvel is not in good shape either in terms of sales and profit. But Anime is doing really well and has a lot of dedicated fans.... still makes great money..

Sony also bought the rest of Sony Bank... which was a separate public company before, so they actually fully own a bank now....

PS5-Logo-1600p-950x250.jpg

DISCLAIMER: This is an information thread, not a comparison thread. Please leave your comparisons or MeToo's for other such threads. Also please tag me if you believe something of value is missing.

FV0kbLb.jpg

Known Devkit One
Low-speed - big silver tower
[No Image Available]
Known Devkit Two
playstation-5-ps5-devkit-sony-1.original.jpg
Playstation 5Playstation 5 Digital Edition
4rvPMpI.jpg
3sK88Sh.jpg
IJxBDBd.jpg
dDOnuVq.jpg

FGphQCk.jpg

Introducing the DualSense

DSf5eb13516f9c6d0a.gif

* Adaptive Triggers
* Haptic Feedback
* Create Button
* Microphone
* Improved Speaker
* Heavier Controller
* Larger Battery
* Triggers Adjusted
* Grips Improved
* New Light Bar
* 3.5mm headphone jack

MYz2fI2.jpg

QZNDvTj.jpg
RDx9N06.jpg
eR9Q8Sc.jpg
EuiGVRD.jpg

xA2AD5I.jpg

• Ability to boot directly into the Single Player Multi-player components from the UI
  • Single Player to provide information such as mission and rewards in the UI
  • Multiplayer to provide game servers to jump right in

NKL0Cnk.jpg

1JsmaWB.jpg

PS5 is currently scheduled to launch "in time for holiday 2020"

Sony’s PlayStation chief Jim Ryan has stressed that the machine’s launch should be simultaneous around the globe.

Mass production is currently scheduled for June.

5BY1hAv.jpg

PPgOn3m.jpg

PS5 will be backwards compatible with the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles

Boosted frequency allowing:
  • higher or more stable frame rates
  • potentially higher resolutions

unK7ggx.jpg

ltjuSpH.jpg

VPzVxDg.jpg

Sony is investing heavily in 3D audio via a dedicated Tempest Engine with custom designs to make sound appear more realistic and situational.

The "tempest engine" is based on AMD's GPU technology, and is built around SPU-like architecture, which is not dissimilar to the PS3.

It has enough processing ability (with a kind of processing called single instruction, multiple data, or SIMD) as all of the PS4’s eight-core processing capability combined — just for 3D audio.
"Where we ended up is a unit with roughly the same SIMD power and bandwidth as all eight Jaguar cores in the PS4 combined," Mark Cerny reveals in his presentation.

"If we were to use the same algorithms as PSVR, that's enough for something like five thousand sound sources - but of course we want to use more complex algorithms, and we don't need anything like that number of sounds."
The PS5’s new Tempest Engine will support hundreds of sound sources, meaning it will appear that sound could be coming from hundreds of different directions as you hear it in a game. When you have something like raindrops, you’ll hear them coming from many different directions.

You can also more precisely track locality, or where objects are located. If an enemy is sneaking up on you, you’ll be better able to tell that.

Going forward, Sony is optimistic about great results from virtual surround from TV speakers and sound bars, with multi-speaker systems also due for support.

However, the ambition of the surround audio system is such that we may not see its potential fully realised for some time.

Note: Not every game is going to have super complex audio sampling and rendering, and for those games, Cerny says the Tempest 3D Audio Engine can be used as an extra processor for certain types of calculations.

52coIS2.jpg

PS5 features hardware based Ray Tracing.

Ray tracing simulates the way light moves in real life, and how it bounces off various surfaces. Games that take advantage of this feature will render objects much more accurately, and with heightened realism. Water, glass, light refraction, a character’s hair and so on, will look even more realistic.

PS5's Ray tracing uses the same strategy as AMD's upcoming PC GPUs.
The CU's contain a new specialized unit called the intersection engine which can calculate the intersection of rays with
boxes and triangles.

I've (Mark Cerny has) already seen a PlayStation 5 title that's successfully using ray tracing based reflections in complex animated scenes with only modest costs.

iQIxPyAkvtlEzQOm.jpg

D3P1Lxl.jpg

CPU overhead from data decompression and management is pretty high. The more data that's moved, the more the CPU is taxed, and if it's pushed too far, frame rates drop astronomically.

To solve these issues, a custom decompressor was built directly into the I/O (Input/Output) unit.

"By the way, in terms of performance, that custom decompressor equates to nine of our Zen 2 cores, that's what it would take to decompress the Kraken stream with a conventional CPU," Cerny reveals.

T2agnK3.jpg

PS5's GPU is equipped with what is known as a Cache Scrubber.
This function is used to improve efficiency and ensure the cache isn't filled with redundant data.

The whole process of loading it happens invisibly to you (the developer) and at very high speed.
Allowing the dream of no load screens and super-fast streaming to become a reality.

To avoid further impacts to GPU performance - we've (Sony has) implemented coherency engines to inform the GPU of the overwritten address ranges and custom scrubbers in several dozen GPU caches to pinpoint evictions of just those address ranges.

cDFv4ms.jpg

This memory is synergized with the SSD on an architectural level and drastically boosts RAM efficiency. The memory is no longer "parking" data from an HDD; the SSD can deliver data right to the RAM almost instananeously.

The result sees RAM only holding assets and data for the next 1 second of gameplay. The PS4's 8GB of GDDR5 memory held assets for the next 30 seconds of gameplay.

pA5bbSFuCHM5ZJZY4uJgQd-1200-80.png

9TIRatz.jpg

The I/O unit is capable of handling over 5 gigabytes of kraken format input data a second. After decompression that typically becomes eight or nine gigabytes but the unit itself is capable of outputting as much as 22 gigabytes a second if the data
is compressed particularly well.

The I/O unit also contains a large pool of SRAM which is used principally to direct the variety of custom hardware around it.

A dedicated DMA controller (equivalent to one or two Zen 2 cores in performance terms) directs data to where it needs to be, while two dedicated, custom processors handle I/O and memory mapping. On top of that, coherency engines operate as housekeepers of sorts.

ps5-ssd-cache.jpg

mHY2K2Q.jpg

The SSD is so fast that textures can be loaded within the same second that you move the player.

ETZ4cKqXgAEbwRu

1eq4pZc.jpg

Za6FAqN.jpg

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...next-gen-playstation-5-launches-holiday-2020/
https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/18/playstation-5-mark-cerny-explains-tempest-engine-for-3d-audio/
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7134...ep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech/index.html
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision
https://blog.us.playstation.com/202...w-wireless-game-controller-for-playstation-5/
https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-audio-tempest/
https://www.techradar.com/news/ps5-...quire-you-to-send-sony-a-picture-of-your-ears
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/art...n-limited-playstation-5-output-in-first-year

Don’t forget to include the USB C port for the controller as well.

JonnyMP3

It's a great thing to be in because comics have collapsed as a business.... DC had massive layoffs and Marvel is not in good shape either in terms of sales and profit. But Anime is doing really well and has a lot of dedicated fans.... still makes great money..

Sony also bought the rest of Sony Bank... which was a separate public company before, so they actually fully own a bank now....
That digital revenue literally making 'Bank!' 😂

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony are looking to buy Crunchyroll from AT&T fro 1.5 Billion to dominate the Anime business, they already own Funimation....

Buying Kadokawa, the parent organization of From Software would be a logical next step and cost about the same amount also adding to their first party studios for PlayStation.

Sony spends cash, others "talk" about it.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
A BUNCH OF NEW PS5 COVERS HAVE APPEARED

After the reveal of the PS5 covers last month, a bunch more PS5 box art/covers have appeared on JB Hi-Fi’s website this morning.
We get a look at the PS5 box art for Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla, Watch Dogs: Legion, Far Cry 6, Planet Coaster Console Edition and Overcooked All You Can Eat Edition.

LRufGPw.jpg

TQ0VZw7.jpg

Qxf5eCt.jpg

ZueAqyy.jpg

nzLSVSq.jpg

Gamerguy84

One trend Im glad to see happening are people going after those who are spreading FUD.

Not just anyone, but people like Hargett, James Stevenson, and whoever officially runs the Quantum error twitter. Cant forget Heisenberg blasting Tdog twitter with 12TF worth of trees, that was good.

Maybe it will make some think twice before trying it. There has been so much of it, I didn't even realize how much collectively until I read Bo and Sircaw list.

TBH the only thing I remember hearing about Series X was what a monster it was and was going to blow everything else away.

It just feels a little quiet and peaceful out there now when Im searching for some news.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
One trend Im glad to see happening are people going after those who are spreading FUD.

Not just anyone, but people like Hargett, James Stevenson, and whoever officially runs the Quantum error twitter. Cant forget Heisenberg blasting Tdog twitter with 12TF worth of trees, that was good.

Maybe it will make some think twice before trying it. There has been so much of it, I didn't even realize how much collectively until I read Bo and Sircaw list.

TBH the only thing I remember hearing about Series X was what a monster it was and was going to blow everything else away.

It just feels a little quiet and peaceful out there now when Im searching for some news.

There is not a single game running on XSX, not a single dev kit leaked if there are any to begin with.

Xbox is in real trouble and the FUD towards PS5 won't fix it.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

What I found is that the FUD gets released by the same people after either Sony releases some good news or that Xbox has some bad news.

It's been this way for a while now and it's getting easy to predict the release of FUD.

I'm getting really tired of it though.
It's extra tiring because they're all trying to defend something that even Xbox really doesn't care about anymore.
If they were having to defend the XSX as the ultimate games machine still, that's fair play.
But when the machine isn't even the 'Premium Must Have Product' from the company because they just want you to have Gamepass, which can be used on PC or the One, it becomes a chore because it's now a pyrrhic battle for them.

Went to do some filming, as saw sun for a moment and thought it would be great for filming/photography! But it because foggy again. Here's a shot, and I'm compressing the video to WebM (VP9 codec) to make it lighter when I upload it to youtube (2.47GB, 4 minutes).

Wadi Darbat, Taqah, Dhofar, Sultanate of Oman (14-Aug-2020)

117644174_10164354548450227_8897891816212967619_o.jpg
Does this valley run water all year or seasonal? Man, I can't believe this is in a drivable distance from my hometown

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How is this not FUD? You just made this ridiculous FUD list as if it's gospel for every Xbox fan and at the same time write stuff like I quoted.

Can you prove that? That's called a fact, both events shown PC gaming officially by Xbox. Have you seen an xbox dev kit leak? Share it.

In Halo Infinite's campaign, the Master Chief returns when humanity's fate hangs in the balance to confront the most ruthless foe he's ever faced – the Banished. The legendary Halo series returns with the most expansive Master Chief story yet. Enjoy a first-look at Halo Infinite campaign gameplay, captured real-time and representative of the experience on Xbox Series X running at 60FPS and up to 4K resolution.

Is that an alt account?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Shouldn't it be the other way around? You question whether there are Xbox dev kits, I think there's no reason to assume that there aren't. So please share your proof that they don't exist.

Didn't see anything running on a dev-kit yet? Even first party? Who should get those first?

And if they have it, why they use a PC then? Doesn't raise any questions? Being your very 2 posts towards me seems like you are pretty much in a mission, ALT.

I’ve seen a couple of youtubers say that the PS5 is supposed to be more expensive than the XsX (even at $599, so up to $699?). Where is this coming from? Did Desk Gollum also “leaked” the PS5’s price?

699$ for the DE? Thats way to high in my opinion. I don't think either are going to reach that.

Didn't see anything running on a dev-kit yet? Even first party? Who should get those first?

And if they have it, why they use a PC then? Doesn't raise any questions? Being your very 2 posts towards me seems like you are pretty much in a mission, ALT.

Sure, you can question everything. I just thought it is a bit disingenuous to write such a long list with every stupid FUD one could find and then post something you can't possibly proof. If you have statements from devs saying the Xbox dev kits don't exist I'm sure everyone would love to hear them.

And not everyone is on a mission. And accusing everyone that dares to question you to be an ALT is a bit lame.

sircaw

Banned
What I found is that the FUD gets released by the same people after either Sony releases some good news or that Xbox has some bad news.

It's been this way for a while now and it's getting easy to predict the release of FUD.

I'm getting really tired of it though.

I am beyond bored of it all now, i guess it has worked in some ways, it just feels so exhausting to keep up with it.

At this point I trust basically no one lol, its become that bad.

All I want to do is see cerny do a breakdown, why has this bloody thing taken so long, how many fucking screws are on the console.

A BUNCH OF NEW PS5 COVERS HAVE APPEARED

After the reveal of the PS5 covers last month, a bunch more PS5 box art/covers have appeared on JB Hi-Fi’s website this morning.
We get a look at the PS5 box art for Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla, Watch Dogs: Legion, Far Cry 6, Planet Coaster Console Edition and Overcooked All You Can Eat Edition.

LRufGPw.jpg

TQ0VZw7.jpg

Qxf5eCt.jpg

ZueAqyy.jpg

nzLSVSq.jpg

As person who still love the physical format, I don't like that white banner with the blue box, the designs of the boxes months ago
made it by fans based in black color looks so good. :lollipop_neutral:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fuck em all, nothing beats PS1 boxes, and sniffing the little book inside.

Sony-playstation-Tekken-2-Fat-Box.jpg

The old one that have like a thicc box! I couldn't believe my eyes when I was looking into them, expecially that 3D modeling was like sorcery to me coming from SEGA MegaDrive! Waited for a year as it was still being sold at 650 Omani rials ($1560). Only few got them early in 1995-1996. Mine was in 1997 for around 350 OMR ($910 USD). It boggles me to know that the actual price was $299!!!:lollipop_anguish: Many parents had to save up to buy one as it was trendy and all the kids were getting them.

Last edited:

geordiemp

I don't know how much merit the comments have, but people have been claiming it's expensive.

Why do you think its expensive, usually everything ps5 does that is good is claimed as expensive like the SSD. Liquid metal paste is not expensive, you can buy it now for PCs, and Sony will be buying 100 million of them direct.

Liquid metal paste is not expensive its just difficult to apply and keep it from affecting other components. Hence the manufacturing patent where Sony have come up with a clever way of sealing in the liquid metal for mass production.

The better and more uniform heat transfer will help remove hot spots and allow faster consistent clock speeds...

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony and Microsoft both want people to think their consoles are going to be $599 and then they'd say it's $499, everyone pre -orders them and both consoles are sold out at launch.

That's a smart way of thinking, it's probably a way to make people think $499 as cheap. To me, even $999 is cheap, we were used to see Atari 2600 and PS1 being sold early at freaking 1000 OMR ($2600 USD)!

• Triggered
Reactions: Rea
Top Bottom