• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

mitchman

Gold Member
Sometimes life has funny ideas and you get urgent demands for more critical things than entertainment. But not suggesting that he had any though. Hope you all guys are doing well in this pandemic situation and its negative impacts.
Personally, I've never had as much money as I have right now seeing I can't spend them in bars and restaurants anymore. The compensation is buying gear even though it's boring and hell sitting inside all day.

ultrazilla

Anyone have Dirt 5 for ps5? Thinking about buying it with it being on sale on psn. Appreciate any impressions!

I do and I love it! IMO it's the spiritual successor to the MotorStorm series. It had a 3 gig update today(gotta find the patch notes).

The game is great. You get a choice of resolution or performance modes(I go with the 60fps option), dynamic weather, very cool track designs(the rock climbing ones are great),
the play control is tight and responsive and makes use of the Dualsense controllers(haptic), the music is good and load times are very fast.

I highly recommend it.

iu

I had no luck, I can see where it's stuck on the cards.I'm just going to play a bit more and then restart the game... looks like the 100 skill points is glitched too. :(

That sucks dude. Frustrating. I really hope it gets ironed out for you.

I cleaned and vacuumed the dust catchers on my PS5 DE for the first time today, after seeing dust build up along the ”gills”. A word of advice, look up how to peel of the sideplates. They are supposed to come off quite easy, no need to try force it. If the plastic is bending, you are doing it wrong.

I also noticed the white plastic left some ”skidmarks” on the black inner body, it almost seems unavoidable. The marks wont be noticable when the plates are back on though.

Yeah. I watched two videos of people doing it before I started cleaning/vacuuming mine. Once you do it, and get the feel for it, it is as simple as can be.

You just lightly peel the corner up and pull the plate down, and snapping them back in couldn't be easier.

Couple vids for people

Skit, do you have a cleaning schedule, or do you just go in when you notice dust buildup? I think I am just gonna pop the plates and do some basic upkeep once every month or so

Last edited:

skit_data

That sucks dude. Frustrating. I really hope it gets ironed out for you.

Yeah. I watched two videos of people doing it before I started cleaning/vacuuming mine. Once you do it, and get the feel for it, it is as simple as can be.

You just lightly peel the corner up and pull the plate down, and snapping them back in couldn't be easier.

Couple vids for people

Skit, do you have a cleaning schedule, or do you just go in when you notice dust buildup? I think I am just gonna pop the plates and do some basic upkeep once every month or so

I used to open up my PS4 once every year to check if there was any dust buildup but since the PS5 is a lot easier I will probably just keep vacuuming the dust catchers once every 3 months or so instead.

Since the liquid metal doesnt need replacement in the same way the usual thermal paste used to need I doubt there is any actual need to tear it down further unless one has pets or other reasons for more severe dust build up on the actual heatsink

Last edited:
This month has quite a nice list of PS+ games so it might be worth to sign up now unless you do not find yourself playing any of them.

Concrete Genie and Control UE are definitely worth adding to your library even if you can't download them right now. Was happy to Plat them both.

Just add them to your library from the website even if you don't have a PS5 yet.

For sure. I do this with PS+ and EGS free weekly games. Even if I don't plan on playing them anytime soon, still good to have free games added to library, can download whenever I get around to it.

---------------------------

PS5 version of Cloudpunk spotted

Good game, 90 percent rating on Seam

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
At most I might have a beer when I eat out. But all the hard stuff I drink at home. Much cheaper and can definitely be more fun if you plan your evening out correctly.
My and my buddies have a video conference beer bash on Tuesdays and Fridays, I try to restrict it to those days. If the bars were open, we'd be out at bars for that. At least I got my PS5 today so keep the XSX company standing on the floor (strange how the new consoles are standing, while the previous generation was laying down).

TheZink

I love Control. I just love the game. I get it has flaws, but it just worked for me. Really cool that it was free on PS+ this month.

I enjoyed the DualSense support as well. I remember there was a thread where someone was complaining about the footstep rumble, but can't that be adjusted in the menu?

That's frustrating. Hope it gets fixed for you, the Plat only took about 17 hours from what I remember. I had beaten the game on PC previously, so maybe I got through it a little quicker.

I hope we get more games soon that come close to what Asro's Playroom does with the DualSense. I get that the game is basically a PS5/DualSense showcase, but still. Some games have had great DualSense support, for sure, but so far Astro's Playroom stands alone at the top.

I 100 percented the UE (DLC and all) and didn't encounter a glitched trophy. Could just be bad luck, or good luck on my part, I dunno

Lando Calrissian Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

The PS5 DE is like a pot of gold right now
I got one today on PS Direct. 😌🙏

I wanted the DE because I haven't used a disk in about four years now lol. Realuzed I better get what I could so I got the disk version.

Same. I was in the first wave of Walmart pre-orders and disc version was the only one I could get, so figured no use in being picky.

I have a lot of PS4 games on disc, too, so it worked out.

I think the DE is slicker looking, but it's all good. I am just happy and feel lucky to have the console.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Tsk tsk... UHD Blu-Ray >>>> Netflix/Disney+/Prime (in price too :LOL:)

I literally don't recall seeing UHD Blu-Ray disc in person, nor I know any shop selling them around me. Also I'm a casual movie watcher. But have high hopes for Bravia Core streaming quality to be as close as possible to that quality on Sony's new Bravia XR tv's.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I literally don't recall seeing UHD Blu-Ray disc in person, nor I know any shop selling them around me. Also I'm a casual movie watcher. But have high hopes for Bravia Core streaming quality to be as close as possible to that quality on Sony's new Bravia XR tv's.

... and that assumes you always have peak bandwidth available. Do you have online retailer shipping region compatible UHD Blu-Ray movies to you?

The biggest advantage 4K Disney+ has over my older 1080p Blu-Ray (comparing Infinity War to Spider-man Far From Home or just the two original Avengers movie in both formats) is Dolby Vision which PS5 does not support (yet... I hope they will add it). Often the bitrate advantage of normal Blu-Ray makes for better shadow detail and transitions.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

... and that assumes you always have peak bandwidth available. Do you have online retailer shipping region compatible UHD Blu-Ray movies to you?

The biggest advantage 4K Disney+ has over my older 1080p Blu-Ray (comparing Infinity War to Spider-man Far From Home or just the two original Avengers movie in both formats) is Dolby Vision which PS5 does not support (yet... I hope they will add it). Often the bitrate advantage of normal Blu-Ray makes for better shadow detail and transitions.

Yeah but not that enthusiastic about movies and series, so even Netflix is satisfying, especially 4K HDR content. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Psn plus is being super cool.

I loved Control and in March we getting ff7r lol.

I did buy Jedi fallen order Saturday, I’m about 10 hours in. Cool game but it annoys me to see stuttering in area transitions and the occasional cutscene that masks a load.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Psn plus is being super cool.

I loved Control and in March we getting ff7r lol.

I did buy Jedi fallen order Saturday, I’m about 10 hours in. Cool game but it annoys me to see stuttering in area transitions and the occasional cutscene that masks a load.

Yeah if you got the PS5 then you can't upgrade to the PS5 version, not sure if you need to pay full price or something like $10-20 for the existing version. It's kinda fair for a top quality AAA game that is still "warm" out of the oven. Overall, Sony is killing it with the PS Plus offerings, making other subscriptions irrelevant.

Mr Hyde

I've decided to buy Final Fantasy VII now that it arrives on PS5. The plan was to wait until all parts were released but this enhancement looks really good. PS5 injects so much quality of life into gaming, it's ridiculous how good every game feels to play now. Graphics, resolution, performance, load times. It's on a whole other level of what has been before.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I've decided to buy Final Fantasy VII now that it arrives on PS5. The plan was to wait until all parts were released but this enhancement looks really good. PS5 injects so much quality of life into gaming, it's ridiculous how good every game feels to play now. Graphics, resolution, performance, load times. It's on a whole other level of what has been before.

So the PS5 version is already out? I should download it and continue from where I stopped. Hope that blurry door has been fixed.

I ordered a Pulse 3D headset. Figured, why not give it a shot. Lot of people like it. I liked the Golds and the Plats last gen.

I am not a hardcore audiophile, per se, but I am pretty picky about my headsets, so I am hoping it delivers. I'm pretty confident in the purchase.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instead of double posting will add this:

I just Plat'd Maquette on my PS5. Really solid little puzzle game, and a very easy/quick plat. Can be done in less than a few hours if you can nail the speed runs.

Nice offering for PS+

I tried out Remnant, it def needs a PS5 patch. I'll stick to the PC version for now.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I ordered a Pulse 3D headset. Figured, why not give it a shot. Lot of people like it. I liked the Golds and the Plats last gen.

I am not a hardcore audiophile, per se, but I am pretty picky about my headsets, so I am hoping it delivers. I'm pretty confident in the purchase.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instead of double posting will add this:

I just Plat'd Maquette on my PS5. Really solid little puzzle game, and a very easy/quick plat. Can be done in less than a few hours if you can nail the speed runs.

Nice offering for PS+

I tried out Remnant, it def needs a PS5 patch. I'll stick to the PC version for now.

maquette is great so far, some of the stuff with the relationship story hits really close to home. I absolutely love the sound track

Hello Sony GAF, I have a confession to make. I'm a hardcore PC gamer but since I hooked my PS5 to the main TV in the entertainment area I haven't played on PC even once. That was like 1.5 months ago. :messenger_hushed: I'm busy with my coding project so I have very little time game anyway but I still find it shocking.

I finished Ghost of Tsushima and it's a beautiful game. But my biggest surprise is Days Gone. I bought it on a release day, played to the first Nero checkpoint and dropped it. I thought it was just average and not worth my time. I started from the beginning on PS5 and played the entire game to almost 100% completion (minus collectibles, fuck those). It has become one of my all time favorite open-world games. I fully upgraded my bike and character, reached level 3 trust with all the camps, killed all the hordes etc. etc. I will double dip on PC 100%.

If you enjoy open world games, give this one a chance. I can't believe that such a gem was just sitting on my shelf for almost 2 years untouched. Damn.

Trogdor1123

I thought I read the ps5 has a setting to skip the splash screens when starting a game? Was I out to lunch or was that really a thing?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hello Sony GAF, I have a confession to make. I'm a hardcore PC gamer but since I hooked my PS5 to the main TV in the entertainment area I haven't played on PC even once. That was like 1.5 months ago. :messenger_hushed: I'm busy with my coding project so I have very little time game anyway but I still find it shocking.

I finished Ghost of Tsushima and it's a beautiful game. But my biggest surprise is Days Gone. I bought it on a release day, played to the first Nero checkpoint and dropped it. I thought it was just average and not worth my time. I started from the beginning on PS5 and played the entire game to almost 100% completion (minus collectibles, fuck those). It has become one of my all time favorite open-world games. I fully upgraded my bike and character, reached level 3 trust with all the camps, killed all the hordes etc. etc. I will double dip on PC 100%.

If you enjoy open world games, give this one a chance. I can't believe that such a gem was just sitting on my shelf for almost 2 years untouched. Damn.

Your PC probably reminds you of work. The simplicity of consoles overcome their shortcomings. But there might be a solution to have somehow is to connect your PC to the same TV and sit on the couch. The typical PC gaming stance is just not something I wanna do when I come back from work, heck my PC is hooked to my PC and I sit on a recliner. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Also Days Gone is one of the best acted, natural acting to be precise, game I've ever experienced, and it was also a surprise. It's one of my best games ever! And they have paved the road perfectly for the sequel with the hidden ending. I might have loved Syphon Filter sequel instead because I miss espionage games with MGS being semi-dead now.

It's funny that my 2010 HP PC was a good $1800 gaming PC that I've never played a game on, same with my new build since 2019. I was eager to play Halo though but didn't know that it was a childish game with those goofy creatures, sounds, etc. Thought it would be scientifically heavy and has some Mass Effect vibes (never played a Halo since briefly trying it in 2006 on a noisy X360 of my cousin).

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Those 667GB (with Astrobot included) look big enough now, I doubt' I'll need to upgrade the storage (if it ever happens). Seems like Oodle Kraken + Oodle Texture in action again.

So NEEDS its proprietary card. I think that will help to even cut the cost of the internal one's price and could be sold for enthusiast PC gamers as the most performant SSD and more stable 5.5GB/s speeds vs traditional NVMe m.2 7GB/s. I just bought the $400 160GB Sony CFexpress Type A, and it has a weird storage as well which probably means similar customization. I know, it's expensive as fuck and buying another one to pair them together later this month.

sony-cfexpress-memory-cards-1280px.jpg

Still no third party producing this new type A, and only know 2 cameras that uses them (a7S III "like mine" and a1). Probably it made the new monster a1 make this crazy 50.1MP 12-bit raw photos at a mindblowing 30fps! Photos, not videos.

So, would Sony bite and release its own 825GB SSD at $150-200? Or would you just prefer a 2TB that would quickly shift games in and out of the main SSD when you're not playing them currently?

Last edited:
Been playing with my Pulse 3D’s the last couple days. Very solid set. For the price they are right up there with anything I’ve owned in the 100-120 dollar range.

Bass could probably be a bit deeper, but the directional audio is stellar and very comfortable.

LordOfChaos

Has Tempest been expanded to anything else yet? They said it would work on even TV speakers, but it was only on headphones at launch.

Finally got an order from Amazon!

Your PC probably reminds you of work. The simplicity of consoles overcome their shortcomings. But there might be a solution to have somehow is to connect your PC to the same TV and sit on the couch. The typical PC gaming stance is just not something I wanna do when I come back from work, heck my PC is hooked to my PC and I sit on a recliner. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Also Days Gone is one of the best acted, natural acting to be precise, game I've ever experienced, and it was also a surprise. It's one of my best games ever! And they have paved the road perfectly for the sequel with the hidden ending. I might have loved Syphon Filter sequel instead because I miss espionage games with MGS being semi-dead now.

It's funny that my 2010 HP PC was a good $1800 gaming PC that I've never played a game on, same with my new build since 2019. I was eager to play Halo though but didn't know that it was a childish game with those goofy creatures, sounds, etc. Thought it would be scientifically heavy and has some Mass Effect vibes (never played a Halo since briefly trying it in 2006 on a noisy X360 of my cousin).
No, it's not that. My PC is strategically placed so that it connects to my 2 x 4k DELL screens for work and my 65'' LG CX at the same time. It's just that with Days Gone and GoT finally in acceptable state, there wasn't a good reason (or time) to play any other games on my PC.

Now I'm back to playing Forza Horizon 4 in 4k 120FPS.

Where's TLOU2 PS5 patch? I want more zombies in my life.

Top Bottom