• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 Unified L3 Cache Shown In Patent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
f2d.gif

LIQUID METAL

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Probably why the ps5 is matching the SX, among other things the ps5 has the SX doesn't. People are going to say it's just a patent, but that was said about the liquid metal , we know how that turned out.
Without going into rumor territory, there is a fundamental issue how DirectX works. Draw calls are expensive on Xbox or PC for that matter. This is not the case on Playstation. Here is receipts from 4A dev:

Also NXGamer NXGamer talked about that here:

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Thoughts ?

It makes sense. If true, this might be the solution Cerny talked about in his GDC presentation when he mentioned that some of the solutions made while working on PS5 APU might see their way in future AMD products.

Zen 3 has that too, right? do the performance and efficiency improvements compared to Zen 2 come from this?

yes, that's one the main factors from where the performance gains are coming from.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I always thought "secret sauce" was a meme but looking at these patents and the system overperforming compared to the XSX, maybe it's for real this time.

The term "secret sauce" was first used for PS5 by AMD's CEO, Lisa Su. She is as impartial at the moment as they come, because both MS and Sony are AMD's customers right now.

Because of that, it always had some credibility. The performance results have proved that now.

I wonder if MS will change their “ most powerful fuel console “ tone .

I love both my systems ( specially the design of the Xbox series X) but one has to wonder if the PlayStation 5 is more powerful even though it has less teraflops
I'll say this. Xbox SX is a great console by all means. The problems is once again MS's marketing and actual decisions. They should have just shut up when PS5 was reveled to have 10.3 tflops and let their games do the talking. Sadly, they decided to ride the tflop wagon and now have to live with PS5 dominating the scene with its hardware engineering; not to mention the crazy 1st party Sony has cooking up (Silent Hills, MGS etc.).

Leyasu

Banned
Neogaf lately is only speculations, speculations and more especulations

And here people are declaring a winner after a couple weeks of generation and after a few shitty games with old engines.

World is fucking mad
Faith is a fucking potent drug.

Surely an X-ray of the ps5s soc has got to surface soon?

Last edited:

Cherrypepsi

And here people are declaring a winner after a couple weeks of generation and after a few shitty games with old engines.

who the hell is declaring a winner in this thread? Have you even read ìt?

Im engineer in computer sciencie (6 years in Europe with project included (old system)) and I have three masters, one in electronics, another in java, and one mba. Also i was studying 3 years electronics before start computer science.

Also I was working as Java dev for 5 years, Android dev and before that like a system administrator.

I have knowledge in ASM 8086, Pascal, Cobol, C++, Python, BBDD, HTML5 and CSS3.

Currently I´m general manager in a manufacturer company from 7 years ago.

Oh yes, i started programming computers with 8 years, I have 45 now.

as you are an engineer in computer science with three masters, you should clearly have more to say to the topic than this console warrior stuff?

huraga

Banned
Seemingly three hardware advantages PS5 has over Series X:

1. Geometry Engine more advanced than using Mesh shaders
2. Cache scrubbers
3. Unified CPU cache helping latency

Not surprising it is outperforming its rival.
Thanks engineer, you should request a job in Sony or Microsoft. Really I don´t know what are you doing here wasting your time.

Then Xbox has a worse hardware and AMD lied to Microsoft with a worse solution. AMD which 50% of its business depends from Microsoft... Very smart

If Microsoft wants tomorrow AMD could fire his CEO.

huraga

Banned
who the hell is declaring a winner in this thread? Have you even read ìt?

as you are an engineer in computer science with three masters, you should clearly have more to say to the topic than this console warrior stuff?

No man, I´m not an expert like people here in designing consoles and GPU. I studied computer science but i´m not focus on that. Its the same if you say to a heart doctor to talk about the lung.

Here people is expert designing GPU, CPU, Caches, Memories, this forum is fucking awesome!

ethomaz

Banned
Thanks engineer, you should request a job in Sony or Microsoft. Really I don´t know what are you doing here wasting your time.

Then Xbox has a worse hardware and AMD lied to Microsoft with a worse solution. AMD which 50% of its business depends from Microsoft... Very smart

If Microsoft wants tomorrow AMD could fire his CEO.
AMD do what the consumer (MS and Sony) ask.

Sony wanted unified L3 cache for their Zen 2 cores.
MS don't or maybe they did not even put that option on table.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Then now PS5 is Zen 3 right?
It uses Zen 2 cores... the cache design is similar to Zen 3.

No man, I´m not an expert like people here in designing consoles and GPU. I studied computer science but i´m not focus on that. Its the same if you say to a heart doctor to talk about the lung.

Here people is expert designing GPU, CPU, Caches, Memories, this forum is fucking awesome!
Nobody is designing anything.
It is already in the Sony patent... it is public you know.

We have the Seriex X's CPU diagram that shows a Zen 2 cache design.
We have Zen 3's CPU diagram that shows similar cache design to PS5 patent.

You can't be so salty to the point to not see these.

Last edited:

huraga

Banned
AMD do what the consumer (MS and Sony) ask.
His big customer is Microsoft. With Microsoft they have quite more business. It´s more, one of the reasons why AMD is continue in the market is thanks to Microsoft.

And again Microsoft engineers are not stupid and if they could get zen 3 obviously the would do that.

Now some guys in a forum without experience in the sector, without knowledge in making gpu and cpu are checking patents and saying that it could be Zen 3. It´s fucking awesome.

I don´t know what are you wasting time here. Many of you should go to request job to AMD

ethomaz

Banned
His big customer is Microsoft. With Microsoft they have quite more business. It´s more, one of the reasons why AMD is continue in the market is thanks to Microsoft.

And again Microsoft engineers are not stupid and if they could get zen 3 obviously the would do that.

Now some guys in a forum without experience in the sector, without knowledge in making gpu and cpu are checking patents and saying that it could be Zen 3. It´s fucking awesome.

I don´t know what are you wasting time here. Many of you should go to request job to AMD
AMD made Zen 3 shared L3 cache to improve performance and latency compared to Zen 2.
MS choose Zen 2 with the actual cache design.
Sony choose Zen 2 with the new L3 shared cache.

No matter how smart the MS engineers that created the Direct X are... they final silicon is already done and shipped... the results are obvious for AMD and Sony that choose a shared L3 cache for their new products.

Crying won't change it... maybe in the future Xbox Series XX MS finally uses shared L3 cache.

Pretty cool, no?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom