• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSReborn

It segregates the player base imo. Characters should be free.

Hopefully they are. I would have preferred a 'Ultimate' version myself but it seems this is the way they've decided to handle it. I'm just happy that other people will have another opportunity to have the characters they wanted in the game.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
First Party:

Kat
Rau Utu
Max or Monica from Dark Cloud 2

Third Party:

Solid Snake/Old Snake/Big Boss
Tifa Lockhart
Crash Bandicoot (since it will finally shut people up. I don't particularly care for Crash myself)

Stages:

Gravity Rush + Shadow of the Colossus
Dark Cloud + Pixel Junk Eden
Midgar from FFVII + Crash Bandicoot

I hope people aren't forgetting how dlc characters work in fighting games.

you either
1) have the data on disc
2) have compatibility packs

And guess what, both cases get massive heat.

MvC3, SFxT, TTT2, SC5, and a few more had dlc characters on disc.

MK9/DOA5 had compatibility packs. Guess what majority of the online community do? Not download the compatibility packs. So basically even if you bought the dlc costume/character, you couldn't use them unless your opponent had the pack.

They could force people to download compatibility packs in order to play online, but then there are people that will be like "why do I have to download stuff that I can't use? I don't want to DL stuff that I can't use".

The other option is making dlc characters free.

Not if you have compatability patches. Plus we don't know how dlc will be handled. It may be free......probably won't.

MK9 and DOA5 tried it and failed. Force download compatibility packs also doesn't make everybody happy.

edit

Ultimately there are 2 choices. Super/ultimate style updates to the game or free dlc characters with forced download.

It segregates the player base imo. Characters should be free.

I think there's a decent chance characters could end up free. Omar did make that comment about Crash being free if he were ever DLC
I mean, Superbot will want them to be free, but I'm sure there's like red tape and stuff that might prohibit that.
Also: whining about compatibility packs is the most ridiculous thing in the world to me.

I hope people aren't forgetting how dlc characters work in fighting games.

you either
1) have the data on disc
2) have compatibility packs

And guess what, both cases get massive heat.

MvC3, SFxT, TTT2, SC5, and a few more had dlc characters on disc.

MK9/DOA5 had compatibility packs. Guess what majority of the online community do? Not download the compatibility packs. So basically even if you bought the dlc costume/character, you couldn't use them unless your opponent had the pack.

They could force people to download compatibility packs in order to play online, but then there are people that will be like "why do I have to download stuff that I can't use? I don't want to DL stuff that I can't use".

The other option is making dlc characters free.

That's why you do compatability patches and make the purchase of dlc just an unlock key you purchase.

Basically make it a patch EVERYONE has to download. It's an online game, patches should be expected.

SSReborn

Superbot could be sneaky and put the compatibility packs within a free stage download and charge for the characters separate not that I would want them to do that. lol

They are using it. They're downloading the ability to fight against characters you don't have.

So you're forcing player to buy characters in order to stay competitive. That sounds fun! Reminds me of a game called KOF13.

Additional characters should be either free with forced compatibility download or ultimate/super editions of the game.

SmithnCo

but why should somebody dl something they can't use? its a similar argument to dlc characters being on disc.

Huh? If you do DL characters this is the only way to do it. There has to be data so you can fight DLC opponents. Otherwise online would be totally segregated as opposed to mildly segregated.

I think stages should be free, but I'm fine with paying for characters. Ideally, there would be a system to allow you to "demo" characters before you buy them, to see if you like their playstyle.

Huh? If you do DL characters this is the only way to do it. There has to be data so you can fight DLC opponents. Otherwise online would be totally segregated as opposed to mildly segregated.

thats the point though. Thats why compatibility packs don't work if the DLC characters aren't free.

but why should somebody dl something they can't use? its a similar argument to dlc characters being on disc.

I think you are missing what I am saying. I am talking an update patch that is forced downloaded by anyone that wants to play online. Nearly every online game has patches and it shouldn't be a hard pill to swallow.

So you're forcing player to buy characters in order to stay competitive. That sounds fun! Reminds me of a game called KOF13.

Additional characters should be either free with forced compatibility download or ultimate/super editions of the game.

It's literally a patch. Do you not believe in those either? Is downloading so difficult? How many of these patches will there be anyways? 1 to 6 at most?
Give me a break

Superbot could be sneaky and put the compatibility packs within a free stage download and charge for the characters separate not that I would want them to do that. lol

This is kinda what I am talking about. They update the game for everyone through a patch, and inside it is all the data for the characters, they just need to be unlocked by purchase. It is the best way to do it next to being free.

Then I guess people would complain that they already "have" the characters and shouldn't have to pay. But again its the best way outside of free. I would prefer free like everyone else but am realistic of how these things work.

It's literally a patch. Do you not believe in those either? Is downloading so difficult? How many of these patches will there be anyways? 1 to 6 at most?
Give me a break

So whats wrong with having the characters being on disc? Also having paid dlc characters is just a stupid idea. Either everybody should have access to it or nobody should. Thus Ultimate/edition or free is the best choice.

Then I guess people would complain that they already "have" the characters and shouldn't have to pay.
Exactly. Its literally the same argument as DLC on disc.

I-hate-u

The roster is fine, but there were characters that should have been in the game from the get-go. Donte, Raiden, Big Daddy and Evil Cole should have been DLC with Wander, Crash, Cloud and Snake in the launch roster imo. Unfortunately, Sony has screwed up some of the character priority in the game.

The game is very fun but i feel ticked off regarding that. DLC make things worse. Launch with 25 is better than extra 10 characters DLC imo

SmithnCo

So whats wrong with having the characters being on disc? Also having paid dlc characters is just a stupid idea. Either everybody should have access to it or nobody should. Thus Ultimate/edition or free is the best choice.

I don't see how an Ultimate Edition is better. I just don't understand the argument that because you "have" the characters from a patch that you should be able to use them for free. The DLC on disc thing is different because it shows they purposefully locked out content, whereas DLC characters could have been finished after the fact.

Eh, characters locked behind a patch is very different than locked on disc TO ME. Locked on disc suggests they could have put the characters in the game at no charge. Whereas behind a patch it suggests they were worked on beyond the game's release and therefore are indeed extra.

That is just my take on it.

I guess I just personally think it makes sense to pay for the ability to play as bonus characters but play against them for free.
I think the characters already being finished on disc and holding them out for extra cash post release is a completely different topic of discussion

Eh, characters locked behind a patch is very different than locked on disc TO ME. Locked on disc suggests they could have put the characters in the game at no charge. Whereas behind a patch it suggests they were worked on beyond the game's release and therefore are indeed extra.

That is just my take on it.

Err yeah! Same

I'm ok with DLC characters+compatability patches as long they are reasonably priced. Something like 5$ (4 for plus ;3) for character + challenges + arcade story + costumes I can stand. I fully prepare for 10$ with no character content or costumes just so I can feel the burn.

I don't see how an Ultimate Edition is better. I just don't understand the argument that because you "have" the characters from a patch that you should be able to use them for free. The DLC on disc thing is different because it shows they purposefully locked out content, whereas DLC characters could have been finished after the fact.

An ultimate edition is better because it forces everybody to be on the same page. Its tremendously easier for people that play competitively. Have you ever been to a tournament where they don't have XYZ dlc character downloaded and you are forced to play somebody else? Do you realize how expensive it is for tournament organizers to 1) acquire the game and 2) buy dlc characters?

Or what about if you want to training mode and set a dlc character to a certain command so you can figure out ways to punish certain setups but you have to buy said dlc character just to learn a matchup.

Ultimate edition allow the devs to fine tune a game to make it more complete. It helps them correct mistakes they wouldn't have seen otherwise. Look at SF4 to SSF4. Huge update. Some matchups had to be played differently just based on ultra selection alone. MvC3 to UMvC3 is like a night and day difference in terms of quality. On top of the extra polish, you get the added bonus of everybody having the extra characters. It evens the playing field which is 100% important in a fighting game. Everybody needs the same access and having an advantage just by buying something is stupid.

In both cases ultimate editions or free is the best way to go.

SmithnCo

I think a good compromise would be paid DLC for people with the game, then a special/GOTY edition for tourneys down the line with that same DLC.

What? The game isn't even out and they are already talking about DLC. I wouldn't mind as much if they didn't have only 20 characters, but I can't help but feel like they could have delayed this a bit and added 5-10 more dudes.

Shahed

I've accepted the DLC now. But if they do it, I'd rather it be in the form of an expansion pack. So it may be costly in the double figures, but then you'd get several new stages, characters, mode and the like.

As for the the characters I'd pick?

Wander
Kat
Dart/Rose

Cloud
Crash
Snake

And they must have a Gran Turismo stage there somewhere

I'm ok with DLC characters+compatability patches as long they are reasonably priced. Something like 5$ (4 for plus ;3) for character + challenges + arcade story + costumes I can stand. I fully prepare for 10$ with no character content or costumes just so I can feel the burn.

Would be cool if the characters themselves were free, but they charged for challenges + arcade story + costumes + unlockables + minions. Basically, you can get the character free, but every single thing after that is charged. (I dont think we'll see story for DLC characters at all tbh, too much work and requires rival companions that could be forced).

I wonder why they can't do some cross advertisement, though.

Like, imagine if you wanted to download Spyro for free: you'd first have to sit through an advertisement of Skylanders, maybe do a survey by Activision, maybe advertisements could be put into the online hub, like Uncharted TV or COD messageboard, couldn't that pay for free DLC?

LuuKyK

Ok.

First Party: Ellen (Folklore), Kat (Gravity Rush) and Tomba.

Third Party: Lightning, Selvaria
Lightning
and Crash
Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom