• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are a bit similar aren't they. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

On the bright side, I've just nailed Gabe Logan's level 3 super.

tumblr_lnfqremiap1qcq2vho1_r1_500.gif

He gets his taser out and during an uncomfortably prolonged amount of time, proceeds to burn everyone to a crisp.

lol. for kats, i'd prefer it to be exactly like her playstyle in GR. Everyone floats in a very weird looking way (like the game. where theyre all.. flimsy and crap.), and kat kinda gets zoomed into the screen, then you just aim the cursor at who you want to kick (just like the gravity kick) so its a mixture of sly cooper and daddys super.

Loudninja

Some of you going to be very disappointed in expecting a fairly new character to be in the game.

Kat would be awesome, but I am not going to expect her to be in this game.

They are a bit similar aren't they. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

On the bright side, I've just nailed Gabe Logan's level 3 super.

tumblr_lnfqremiap1qcq2vho1_r1_500.gif

He gets his taser out and during an uncomfortably prolonged amount of time, proceeds to burn everyone to a crisp.

How about, in addition to the map being flipped outside down, the controls for all enemy players are also flipped? Square becomes circle, x becomes triangle, and vice versa, left becomes right, right becomes left. Kat has complete, normal, freedom.

I think 24 is really a good number for their first game. obviously more is better in fan service games like this, but I think 20+ is respectable enough for first iteration, and the characters all seems unique and distinct enough.

shaowebb

I'm digging Big Daddy right now. He's the biggest draw character in the game for me right now and he looks to have some similar tools to my Smash main of Ganondorf with that dash move covering space. If he's grappler heavy I'm in heaven. If not then I'll adjust to utilize him more like Captain Falcon for dash up heavy attacks going for an in and out gameplan of power shots.

Big Daddy all the way.

Drencrom

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...-any-single-question-and-i-promise-to-answer/

A couple more questions answered from Paul.

The gist:
- He knows of a dozen-ish characters, says there are at least 15, and around 20.
- He knows of less than a dozen-ish stages.
- Contact has been made with several 3rd parties for characters (kinda obvious)

Good info, bosses and hidden characters you have to unlock are confirmed. I guess we have to wait for EVO for any new reveals.

Nakiro

Considering the next reveal is going to be at EVO, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a character or two from Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter or any other fighting games.

I personally don't know who I would want to have in the game from the certain area.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...-any-single-question-and-i-promise-to-answer/

A couple more questions answered from Paul.

The gist:
- He knows of a dozen-ish characters, says there are at least 15, and around 20.
- He knows of less than a dozen-ish stages.
- Contact has been made with several 3rd parties for characters (kinda obvious)

I hope that doesn't mean like 18 characters. We practically have 12 confirmed already if you count Cole, Ratchet, Jax, and Sackboy as good as in and I'd say Chimera has a pretty good shot too. If they give too many slots to third party then we'd be real thin on the weird/obscure entries and old school ones I wanted to see. Oh well I guess it's not that unusual to have your first fighting game be a little short on the roster. Personally still hoping for either 24 characters or a pretty quick sequel that brings it up to 28.

Loudninja

I hope that doesn't mean like 18 characters. We practically have 12 confirmed already if you count Cole, Ratchet, Jax, and Sackboy as good as in and I'd say Chimera has a pretty good shot too. If they give too many slots to third party then we'd be real thin on the weird/obscure entries and old school ones I wanted to see. Oh well I guess it's not that unusual to have your first fighting game be a little short on the roster. Personally still hoping for either 24 characters or a pretty quick sequel that brings it up to 28.
He said they dont know how many it will be.

I spoke with Omar, Ivan, and the rest of the SuperBot Entertainment team at E3 and they said that for now, they actually don’t know how many characters the game will wind up having. Three weeks prior to the show, I received an update on new characters that will be in the game, but was told to keep it to myself as E3 was close enough anyways.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
He said they dont know how many it will be.

That's cool. I never meant to seem like i was taking it as full proof. Just kindof saying it in a "prepare yourself for disappoint" way because 18 seems just a possible as 24 right now.

Had Sony already made public that this game was going to have a story mode? It's the first I've heard of it and considering their better experience than Nintendo with narrative such as proper VA-work, CGI and writing that could turn out to be a pretty awesome feature. In comparison to what SSE wound up being at any rate.

Good to hear news like this considering the conference demo and some of the interviews suggesting the lack of gameplay modes was getting me down about the game.

Loudninja

Had Sony already made public that this game was going to have a story mode? It's the first I've heard of it and considering their better experience than Nintendo with narrative such as proper VA-work, CGI and writing that could turn out to be a pretty awesome feature. In comparison to what SSE wound up being at any rate.

Good to hear news like this considering the conference demo and some of the interviews suggesting the lack of gameplay modes was getting me down about the game.
Yep Superbot confirmed story mode 2 times now.

Personally, I dont care if the roster is 24 or less. Cause I'm sure we're gonna get dlc packs. Final Fantasy pack (cloud, vivi, etc, etc), Capcom pack (dante, etc etc).. and i'll be there day 1- so it makes no diff really.

SmithnCo

They said it in the first GTTV interview.

I wonder how they will handle it. There seem to be individual stories and boss battle(s) though. I hope it's not just like MvC3's arcade mode.

Oh! Must've just heard it when I watched the initial interviews when it was revealed and assumed they just meant something along the lines of Smash's classic mode. Not sure if All-Star's point/KO system would bode well for adventure like stages though but it's rekindled my interest in the game nonetheless.

If the roster winds up being limited then I can live with just a handful of PS1 reps, though I'd hope the original Crash and Sir Fortesque be among them.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Tell me more :/ I'm scouring the net for gameplay and news, but I think I've read it all

I don't really have anything new to add to my posts before, but I just can't praise it enough!

The controls were surprisingly smooth. As a huge Smash Bros fan, one of the things that really irked me about that game was how floaty the controls felt. PBR doesn't have that problem.

I didn't get to play as Drake and Big Daddy (there were booths in the center with them on display, but I played on a separate setup off towards one of the corners where they were showing off Vita/PS3 cross play, and it wasn't nearly as crowded).

I only played as Kratos and Sly Cooper for the 3 rounds I played. Believe me, I would have played as every single character, but I didn't want to hog up the station, and I was with a co-worker.

The visuals were super sharp and colorful. Videos and screens make it look washed out and blurry, but that just wasn't the case in person. I noted in particular that the Hades level had a surprising amount of color and detail.

Sly felt like more of an advanced player character, because he was so fast compared to the other players, and his move set seems like there's some kind of strategy involved to using some of them. His speed is crazy, though.

Kratos feels like the most immediately accessible character, because his move set is pure offense. It's pretty clear what he's all about, so playing as him was a lot of fun. I got my ass beat that first time (playing on the Vita against another Vita player and 2 PS3 players), then I played as Sly Cooper the second round, and was destroyed. Lol. My third round, I went back to Kratos, and actually came in first! By that point, I had gotten more comfortable with the feel of the game, and was able to pull off some level 1 supers for kills.

Kratos was a lot of fun. The game in general was a lot of fun. There was a second Kratos in that final match, and he had saved up for a Level 3 super, but me and the two other people kept him from pulling it off by relentlessly attacking him to keep him off balance (while I sneakily kept building Level 1's over and over again, and getting kills. Lol).

We were all laughing and having a great time.

That part, if anything, is what reminded me of Smash Brothers the most, not so much the gameplay. The laughing and just having a fun time beating the snot out of each other with your favorite characters.

It feels similar to Smash, and yet, it doesn't feel like Smash at all. It's its own thing, while still occupying the same genre as Smash. I really, really want to play it again. I'm definitely getting the Vita version if I had to choose one, but fortunately, the Sony rep said that they're trying to do more "value packs" with the Vita and PS3 versions of games packed together. Since it's a Sony owned property, I'm pretty sure they'll pull another MLB the Show, and do one for $80(USD). I'll bite for sure at that price.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
EDIT: Nice! avoided a double post by one! Thanks, Bojanglez!

I imagine that the story mode probably revolves around and explains why the levels are crossing over.

It's like some cosmic event that's not supposed to happen, but somehow, their worlds are colliding, and they have to battle to fix it. Unfortunately, in all the confusion, they start fighting each other. Then a big bad is revealed, and he's the final boss, and you beat him, and all returns to normal (until you play story mode again with a different character).

Just the idea of Cole interacting with Nathan Drake, or Ratchet has me giddy as all hell.

I also find it interesting that Ken Levine wrote the Big Daddy story, so I'm imagining that each character will have their own story, much like FF Dissidia. That may be a lot of work, depending on the size of the roster, but it would be awesome.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
What is the stat tracking like? I remember Smash bros being awesome for that. I would hope there are loads of stats for every character and it would be great if you could view the stats other players on your friends list have for each character.

Also is there any word on if multiple PSN profiles are supported in local multiplayer like on LittleBigPlanet? This game needs that, with stats being synced in the cloud.

I don't really have anything new to add to my posts before, but I just can't praise it enough!

The controls were surprisingly smooth. As a huge Smash Bros fan, one of the things that really irked me about that game was how floaty the controls felt. PBR doesn't have that problem.

I didn't get to play as Drake and Big Daddy (there were booths in the center with them on display, but I played on a separate setup off towards one of the corners where they were showing off Vita/PS3 cross play, and it wasn't nearly as crowded).

I only played as Kratos and Sly Cooper for the 3 rounds I played. Believe me, I would have played as every single character, but I didn't want to hog up the station, and I was with a co-worker.

The visuals were super sharp and colorful. Videos and screens make it look washed out and blurry, but that just wasn't the case in person. I noted in particular that the Hades level had a surprising amount of color and detail.

Sly felt like more of an advanced player character, because he was so fast compared to the other players, and his move set seems like there's some kind of strategy involved to using some of them. His speed is crazy, though.

Kratos feels like the most immediately accessible character, because his move set is pure offense. It's pretty clear what he's all about, so playing as him was a lot of fun. I got my ass beat that first time (playing on the Vita against another Vita player and 2 PS3 players), then I played as Sly Cooper the second round, and was destroyed. Lol. My third round, I went back to Kratos, and actually came in first! By that point, I had gotten more comfortable with the feel of the game, and was able to pull off some level 1 supers for kills.

Kratos was a lot of fun. The game in general was a lot of fun. There was a second Kratos in that final match, and he had saved up for a Level 3 super, but me and the two other people kept him from pulling it off by relentlessly attacking him to keep him off balance (while I sneakily kept building Level 1's over and over again, and getting kills. Lol).

We were all laughing and having a great time.

That part, if anything, is what reminded me of Smash Brothers the most, not so much the gameplay. The laughing and just having a fun time beating the snot out of each other with your favorite characters.

It feels similar to Smash, and yet, it doesn't feel like Smash at all. It's its own thing, while still occupying the same genre as Smash. I really, really want to play it again. I'm definitely getting the Vita version if I had to choose one, but fortunately, the Sony rep said that they're trying to do more "value packs" with the Vita and PS3 versions of games packed together. Since it's a Sony owned property, I'm pretty sure they'll pull another MLB the Show, and do one for $80(USD). I'll bite for sure at that price.

how was the whole 'use supers to get points' system for you? do you prefers smash's percentage or allstars super approach? :)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
how was the whole 'use supers to get points' system for you? do you prefers smash's percentage or allstars super approach? :)

I thought it added some interesting tension to the matches. You were constantly monitoring your own meter, and opponents, and trying to plan a counter to them getting their off, or keeping them from getting theirs off.

I think the lack of percentage points and ring outs kept the battle more focused on being tactical, with a mix of offense and defense.

I love Smash, and the super system and percentages work for Smash, but I love that PBR brings something equally interesting and fun to the table.

Loudninja

How many 3rd party characters did Brawl have?

Also:
*chzrm3, the game has a dozen-ish characters that I know of. It’ll have more than 15. Like I said in the beginning, around 20. SuperBot officially stated to me at E3 that they do not yet know the final roster size.

20 would be fine.

I thought it added some interesting tension to the matches. You were constantly monitoring your own meter, and opponents, and trying to plan a counter to them getting their off, or keeping them from getting theirs off.

I think the lack of percentage points and ring outs kept the battle more focused on being tactical, with a mix of offense and defense.

I love Smash, and the super system and percentages work for Smash, but I love that PBR brings something equally interesting and fun to the table.

Really, eh? Very glad to hear this. I truly hope that there are enough characters (I feel 20+ is the minimum it should be). I too am very hyped, but I really want:

-a good story mode with varied gameplay, not just "outscore these 3 opponents to advance". SSB seems to have some really nice mini-games and all, I hope stuff like that comes to PS:A
-A deep stat tracking system for my account, as well as secondary sign in for my sister
-Options, both for tweaking gameplay to choosing skins
-a replay mode
-lots of game modes. Is stock mode with a set number of finite lives? To me, that sounds more interesting than the default one they have. I really feel that they should give us the option to see our score during the default mode. I understand their reasoning, but it honestly works both ways. For example, if the score is 5, and the other person has 3, the person that is second may also try extra harder. But if they dont know their scores, it just feels like they are blindly playing.

What other modes do you guys foresee?

-Training was confirmed
-There's timed KO mode (default)
-There's a basic team mode (confirmed)
-Hopefully a 3 v 1?
-There's a "stock" mode (confirmed)
-Hopefully a survival series mode, where you play one on one, but as soon as your character gets supered, or loses a set number of lives, or you choose to, you can switch with another member (like in Tekken Tag)?
-just read this really good idea for a mode that treats AP like a health bar http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4702879?tstart=0

I am worried if the one on one gameplay will hold up. Is the core gameplay capable of skillful dodging, countering, strategic fighting, etc?

should a successful string/combo of attacks take out a chunk of your AP? I ask because I worry if the game is too much offense/a race to rush to the level 3 supers, and not enough consequence for being that one player who keeps going in and getting beat up because they just mash to get AP quickest. I feel that a perfectly landed combo should deplete AP (not shatter AP so that others can steal it, just make AP disappear from the opponent. This should force some players to think a bit more defensively maybe?)

The more I think of it, the more I really like this system of Supers only. But I'm concerned about balance a lot. For example, for a stock mode, Parappa gets to easily kill all 3 opponents, can you dodge that outside of the weapon pick up? I also hope that weapons don't feel too sparse, but also not too common either. How do throws work? I know they take AP away, but are they easy/can be countered? Do they work differently for every character?

I read one negative review that the characters all feel the same while in SSB they all feel unique. How true is that? Not just speed, but do some throw/attack faster, how do the meters charge up when u compare Parappa's to someone like Big Daddy's?

Nakiro

The more I think of it, the more I really like this system of Supers only. But I'm concerned about balance a lot. For example, for a stock mode, Parappa gets to easily kill all 3 opponents, can you dodge that outside of the weapon pick up? I also hope that weapons don't feel too sparse, but also not too common either. How do throws work? I know they take AP away, but are they easy/can be countered? Do they work differently for every character?

I read one negative review that the characters all feel the same while in SSB they all feel unique. How true is that? Not just speed, but do some throw/attack faster, how do the meters charge up when u compare Parappa's to someone like Big Daddy's?

From my understanding about the AP balancing, it seems like each characters gains a different amount of AP for each of their attacks. Their specials also vary when it comes to AP consumption.

As far as PaRappa's special goes, it does net him 3 kills, but we have seen characters like Sweet Tooth and Big Daddy get 4 kills from their level 3, and Fat Princes and PaRappa even got 3 kills from their lvl 2. So while his is a safe, 3 kills is the most he can get with it.

It seems like they are putting lots of thought in the balancing.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think people will stop trying on defense 1v1 or 2v2, but in free for all I do wonder how annoying it will be for some person that doesn't care about the match anymore to just let some guy wail on him, and then go and kill the leader with with ap he built up without trying.

Dunno if posted before, I haven't seen anything but Maj (sonichurricane) clarified some very specific gameplay details on his site:

1) There’s no hitstun increase like Smash, because it wouldn’t really add anything to our game engine or resolve any problems that we might face. There’s no hitstun deterioration like Marvel, because although it’s a convenient system, none of us really like the idea of basic reactions changing halfway through a combo. We feel it’s better to keep attack behavior consistent as much as possible, so that players can move combo pieces around freely.
2) Currently throws are untechable, but this is a perfect example of something that could easily change over the next few weeks as we buckle down on playtesting for balance. Judging by the current state of the game, i personally happen to think that we can get away with oldschool untechable throws. But it’s not a terribly difficult feature to add, so we’ll see how it goes.
3) There’s no air control during hitstun, but i’m sure you’ve seen characters automatically flipping out of air reactions to regain mobility. Ed Ma has been experimenting with adding SFA3-style directional control to our automatic tech flips. You still wouldn’t be able to escape early out of true hitstun, but you’d have some control over how you recover in the air. We’re actually trying to be very careful about how our characters recoup from scary situations like air reactions, knockdowns, and things like that. You should always have a few defensive options under pressure.
4) Most characters can cancel moves into other moves, but it’s not as fomulaic as SF4′s normal -> special -> super. Canceling between attacks is much more of a character-specific feature in Battle Royale, but it’s still pretty intuitive once you actually get your hands on a character. I think you guys will have a lot of fun exploring our roster.
5) At the moment, quite a few characters can combo into their super moves in various unique ways. Everyone seems to have a different way of approaching it. Generally speaking, lvl2 supers are the easiest to combo into, but that ends up being kind of an expensive way to guarantee a single KO. There’s definitely a cost vs benefit decision to consider here, and those choices shift frequently over the course of a match.
6) All super attacks are unblockable, but as you’ve seen by now, there are many other ways to avoid them. We wanted to give people that exciting moment of figuring out a way to dodge Drake’s crumbling wall or Fat Princess’ giant chicken. I’m sure you’ll agree that having everyone stand around blocking supers would’ve led to incredibly boring gameplay. (We tried it a long time ago, and sure enough, it made us all sleepy.)
7?) Beating Sly on paper and beating Sly in a real match are two different things. He’s quite difficult to pin down! Mobility is never an issue for him and he can definitely hold his own in a fight. But really, what makes me happy is that we’ve got creative designers like Ray Ray Shen who come up with interesting gameplay proposals for unorthodox characters like Sly – and that Omar and Paul are willing to roll the dice on stuff like this.

Pretty exciting stuff!

1) There’s no hitstun increase like Smash
There’s no hitstun deterioration like Marvel
2) Currently throws are untechable
3) There’s no air control during hitstun

Plus it's been said that there's only 2 set speeds on the ground (it doesn't matter how you tilt the analogue the character wont go slower of faster)

The whole fighting system sounds a bit flat/crusty/stale (cant think of the right word)

Plus it's been said that there's only 2 set speeds on the ground (it doesn't matter how you tilt the analogue the character wont go slower of faster)

The whole fighting system sounds a bit flat/crusty/stale (cant think of the right word)

Well they are in pre-alpha, and it is a completely new fighter, so. I say give them some faith. They do have a lot of fighting game veterans on their team.

One thing that bugs me a little is how the supers will be balanced in 1 vs. 1. Some level 3s would be useless like Parappa's because you're only guaranteed one death, but some would be super dangerous, like Sweet Tooth's long-lasting transformation that can land you another kill on a respawning person. I guess we will be seeing a lot of level 1 supers when it's 1 vs. 1.

Or, maybe it could work like this:

Level 1 KO = 1 point
Level 2 KO = 2 points
Level 3 KO = 3 points

But, as soon as the person gets a kill with a level 3 super, the transformation/stage effect/whatever ends to prevent the respawning opponent to get killed again.

About Maj's break down: Throws are done in an unusual way (right stick), so I don't think they should be too easy to break out of.

Jawmuncher

Is there any info on how they'll be announcing new characters?
Would be cool if they did something similar to the Brawl Blog thing or announce 2 every month like Capcom did with MVC3

Drencrom

One thing that bugs me a little is how the supers will be balanced in 1 vs. 1. Some level 3s would be useless like Parappa's because you're only guaranteed one death, but some would be super dangerous, like Sweet Tooth's long-lasting transformation that can land you another kill on a respawning person. I guess we will be seeing a lot of level 1 supers when it's 1 vs. 1.

Or, maybe it could work like this:

Level 1 KO = 1 point
Level 2 KO = 2 points
Level 3 KO = 3 points

But, as soon as the person gets a kill with a level 3 super, the transformation/stage effect/whatever ends to prevent the respawning opponent to get killed again.

About Maj's break down: Throws are done in an unusual way (right stick), so I don't think they should be too easy to break out of.

But a level 3 super requires more AP than three separate lvl 1 supers. The only incentive to use a lvl 3 super is that it's a guaranteed kill if you only get three points.

Great info Schobeleth, link?

But a level 3 super requires more AP than three separate lvl 1 supers. The only incentive to use a lvl 3 super is that it's a guaranteed kill if you only get three points.

Great info Schobeleth, link?

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=7000#comment-7235

I'd say post on there guys to see if he'll answer your questions - it seems like he does when he's able to confirm details about gameplay. Before I asked him about the super only system, if it was set in stone and such, my comment is above that one. He also had this to say:

"1) Throws draining meter is actually a relatively recent addition to our combat system and i like it a lot as a meter denial mechanic. It’s a little tricky to balance because we have to tune multiple factors. Throws were strong even before we added this feature, so they’re quite powerful now. We also realize that losing meter isn’t an enjoyable experience for most players, so we have to take that into consideration as well. But i’ll share the specific numbers once they’re finalized and you’ll get a better sense of the thinking behind it. There’s a few of other tasks that take priority at the moment, but i think we’re pretty close to locking down a good framework when it comes to throw values.
2) Currently there’s no way to perform lower level supers once you reach lvl2 or lvl3 meter, but there’s a slim chance that might change. Personally i think the current rules add an interesting layer of urgency to meter management. You have to constantly be on the lookout for great opportunities to land lvl1 supers. You can’t just max out your meter and then throw out lvl1 supers six times in a row. That seems like an undesirable scenario, especially if it overshadows the last minute of every match.

As for the character unlock stuff – it’s too early to say anything specific, but don’t worry, Omar is definitely keeping the tournament community in mind when it comes to those decisions.
We’re getting pretty close to the home stretch, so news and information updates from SuperBot and Sony will become more and more frequent soon."

So it seems they really are prepared to ramp up development and take it more into the polishing mode soon, with more reveals. I'm glad they're actually sticking to the holiday release for this year, that they're determined to finish it and put it out. It seems they're REALLY looking into every detail of gameplay though which is really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom