• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOCOM Character? SOCOM doesn't have a character unless you wanna run around as a terrorist.
propic-full2.jpg

Specter, Jester and maybe Forty-Five would like to have a word with you.

SmithnCo

Here's my new rough for the larger (first) pic-

13, 50, 128, 273 = 464

Still some fudging but it's a lot easier to count now. Hopefully an estimate can be reached if more counts are compared.

Counting bullets and reading some meaning into their number is getting a bit cray cray...
Yeah, I definitely 100% agree third party support was huge for the PSone. Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, and MGS were major contributors.

With that being said: those third party characters are most likely going to be in the game- so it looks like that base is covered. We're both saying the same thing. ( :',
Lol, yip. I guess so. PlayStation's appeal isn't solely in SCE-created properties, although they play a part, whereas Nintendo's is driven (almost entirely) by the strength of their first-party.

If they are in I think it will be much more successful as well.
I'm taking bets this game won't hit a million worldwide by the end of 2012. That doesn't make me happy, but you guys need to get your expectations in check.
If it has Snake, Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft, Sora, Cloud Strife, a Resident Evil character... in addition to their more notable SCE-owned properties then 3M+ with ease.

Of course, that's still a big "if".

If they are in I think it will be much more successful as well.
If it has Snake, Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft, Sora, Cloud Strife, a Resident Evil character... in addition to their more notable SCE-owned properties then 3M+ with ease.

Of course, that's still a big "if".

That's a major reason why they need those big name third party characters. They aren't just iconic PS characters, but characters that people really like to play as. Heihachi and Big Daddy really won't drive potential customers to store like Snake and Cloud would.

So I was watching the gameplay from Gamespot and I still worry that the game is a mad dash to level 3 supers where the players have no choice but to watch the level 3 players dish out the pain. Then again, most of these players suck. The demonstration showing the dodging of supers in the 1v1 was really cool.

I am really interested to see stock mode

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Counting bullets?

This has reached comical levels of crazy.

I ain't even mad.

I think it's a given that Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Cole, and Snake are in the game. I say with 100% certainty that Snake is in this game because

1) Kojima loves to put Snake in as many things as he can.
2) It's the 25th Anniversary of the MGS series, so promoting MGS through as many means as possible makes sense to me.
3) MGS has very close, and profitable ties with PlayStation, and Kojima has a fanboy level love of PlayStation.

I'm more interested in seeing if some fan favorites that aren't the ones above make it into the game, like Sir Dan, Alundra, Nariko, and Kat.

I'm still on the fence about a Square-Enix character showing up. Lara Croft as well. I'd love to see Cloud, or Tifa, or Vivi represent Final Fantasy. I like Lightning, so if she shows up instead of Cloud, I can't say I'll be breaking keyboards over it (though the meltdowns on GAF will be hilarious).

I'm leaning towards Crash or Spyro showing up, but I'm not sure both will. I think Crash is the better choice between the two, if Activision doesn't want to allow both.

I'd love to see Dante or Leon, or Claire from Capcom, but I feel the same way about Capcom as I do about Square.

I'm not even going to bother getting into the sales debate, as it just seems to premature, especially with an incomplete roster.

I'm really looking forward to Sunday's reveals, though. I'm betting on Cole and someone else. It may not be a third party reveal for the second character. I'm hoping Kat.

If it's third party, then I'd have to guess Solid Snake. It's about the right time to reveal him.

If Cloud, Crash, Spyro, and Lara are in the game, I can see them holding off a reveal for a little closer to release for maximum impact and pre-order pushing.

I haven't pre-ordered the game yet, because I'm waiting for them to finally announce the $80 PS3/Vita bundle.

This current roster and my hands on have already sealed my purchase. Outside of no-brainer first party inclusions like in my first paragraph, the rest of the reveals (first and third party) are just bonuses for me. Superbot has my dough with just the revealed, 10 person roster.

SmithnCo

Well I'm stumped so far. I was looking for devs with numbers in their names and didn't find much. It's probably simpler than that.

So I was watching the gameplay from Gamespot and I still worry that the game is a mad dash to level 3 supers where the players have no choice but to watch the level 3 players dish out the pain. Then again, most of these players suck. The demonstration showing the dodging of supers in the 1v1 was really cool.

Not all Level 3's are cinematic. Kratos and Sweet Tooth both have Level 3's that still leave all players in control. The guy that won the tournament at the games unveiling stuck with Parappa's Level 1 and Level 2 Super's.

SSReborn

The gameplay on gamespot is casual level play. All of them were saving up for they're level 3 for the "big payoff" which if you've been following you'd know that isn't an effective strategy in winning. That's the main way you can tell who is an good player or a bad player. Also only two of them even made it to level 3 in the 3 min period so again it isn't an effective strategy

SmithnCo

Sure would be awesome if it did add closer to 989 though. lol, but expecting people to count every bullet on both pics and add them is pretty sadistic.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

It doesn't really play out like that in practice.

The Level 3 is a commitment you decide on the moment the match starts. You have 3:00 minutes to build up to a Level 3.

Other players may not go that route, and you'll find people trying to get Level 1 and Level 2 supers to score kills.

My strategy while I was Kratos was to play the "stick and move" game. I'd attack as much as possible, try and avoid taking damage (and thus feeding other player's supers), then, when I'd hit a Level 1, I'd pick my moment and execute. If I couldn't find that moment, I'd fight more, and then build up to Level 1 again, or use a Level 2.

I never reached Level 3, but that's because it wasn't my aim. My aim was to score kills as fast as I could. Saving up for a Level 3 isn't a guaranteed kill racker upper, either.

I ended up winning that final round using only Level 1's, and picking the time to strike (since Level 1's could be avoided and interrupted). I didn't always hit with my Level 1's, but I tried to get into positions where I could do so, and build up my next meter/Level 1, as quickly as possible.

The other Kratos in the match that saved up and got a Level 3, never got the chance to pull it off, because myself, and the other two players, kept him on the defensive, and interrupted him whenever he tried to pull it off. I think he came in last that round.

But, yeah, I think stock mode is going to be a lot of fun too!

evolution

I don't think level 3 supers will be all that important in normal 4 player gameplay. Once people start understanding the mechanics, I think people will choose to stick with lvl 1 and lvl2 supers.

Its a very interesting type of risk/reward. You could potentially die several times from lvl 1 supers before you can unleash a lv3. This aspect is balanced out by the fact that you keep your meter when you die. I can't wait to try it out for myself.

B.O.O.M

You know I wanna be surprised. would I be happy to see snake, ezio or ratchet or someone? Sure. But I would like superbot to surprise me.

Like Heiachi, he surprised me, in a good way

Boss Man

Pretty sure Cole will be unveiled at Comic-Con.

Maybe along with Ratchet and Clank.

The only thing left that I think could really surprise me is if Cloud was in the game, but I just don't see that happening. I hope something FF makes it in...but I have this sinking feeling that if it does, it'll be something shitty like Lightning.

It doesn't really play out like that in practice.

The Level 3 is a commitment you decide on the moment the match starts. You have 3:00 minutes to build up to a Level 3.

Other players may not go that route, and you'll find people trying to get Level 1 and Level 2 supers to score kills.

My strategy while I was Kratos was to play the "stick and move" game. I'd attack as much as possible, try and avoid taking damage (and thus feeding other player's supers), then, when I'd hit a Level 1, I'd pick my moment and execute. If I couldn't find that moment, I'd fight more, and then build up to Level 1 again, or use a Level 2.

I never reached Level 3, but that's because it wasn't my aim. My aim was to score kills as fast as I could. Saving up for a Level 3 isn't a guaranteed kill racker upper, either.

I ended up winning that final round using only Level 1's, and picking the time to strike (since Level 1's could be avoided and interrupted). I didn't always hit with my Level 1's, but I tried to get into positions where I could do so, and build up my next meter/Level 1, as quickly as possible.

The other Kratos in the match that saved up and got a Level 3, never got the chance to pull it off, because myself, and the other two players, kept him on the defensive, and interrupted him whenever he tried to pull it off. I think he came in last that round.

But, yeah, I think stock mode is going to be a lot of fun too!

Hence why I am curious to see how differently Stock mode plays out

And thanks for the detailed reply

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Re ha la!!

Terrorist team is the best team. PMN mines > claymore

I suggested Fireteam Alpha or Bravo earlier and no one seemed interested. I was thinking either ice climbers style or summoning style.

EDIT: Sorry I apparently quoted the wrong guy, I wanted to reference the whole SOCOM wouldn't work as a character slot post.

TheMink

Anybody got anything? I've tried everything, putting the letters to numbers counting the days in the year with them haha nothin has sprouted fruits.

jondabomb

He never specifically mentioned that they are for characters, I'm betting on a new game mode possibly the single player being shown on Sunday.

First picture could represent single player and second could possibly have to do with the rivalry system in the game

solidus51

Banned
He never specifically mentioned that they are for characters, I'm betting on a new game mode possibly the single player being shown on Sunday.

First picture could represent single player and second could possibly have to do with the rivalry system in the game

ah true i forgot all about that the single player lol

SSReborn

He said they were just general pictures and they didn't necessarily represent what was being announced Sunday

Raonak

Banned
I think everyone trying to piece together the clues... is the actual hint itself.

Norman Jaden from heavy rain confirmed.

SSReborn

Well this game at its current state is a game that has more doubters then supporters so I wouldn't of expected it to break Top 12 anyways.

Jawmuncher

With seth killian on board, I hope he does enough to make sure the gameplay is competitve yet simple.

I know personally I would not care at all if this was nothing more than a reskin of SSBB.

rdrr gnr

With seth killian on board, I hope he does enough to make sure the gameplay is competitve yet simple.

I know personally I would not care at all if this was nothing more than a reskin of SSBB.
Killian is almost definitely on-board for a different project (I think it was even confirmed in an interview I saw) and his association with PSBAR is good timing at best. Balancing is important, but it's not core game design. Killian's name is more marketing than meat, IMO. What he does with what I can only expect to be a new Sony fighting IP sounds incredibly interesting.
Given their end of year line up, I wonder which title will be getting the big marketing spend?

Surely has to be this one.
Sony doesn't do big marketing. At least not well.
It's a confirmed bomb at this point. Along with Sly 4.

SSReborn

Isn't it the only one? lol

Unless TLoU is 2012, but it is unlikely...

This LBP Karting and Sly 4. They're probably gonna piggybank off of Assasins Creed 3 has their big holiday title

Killian is almost definitely on-board for a different project (I think it was even confirmed in an interview I saw) and his association with PSBAR is good timing at best. Balancing is important, but it's not core game design. Killian's name is more marketing than meat, IMO.

What sucks is that if they somehow convince people of this games quality. Everyone is just gonna assume that it was because of Seth Killians involvement and he saved the game. I feel the team won't get its proper recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom